Williams-Sonoma

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 82 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, payroll constantly being cut some DMs had little pets who could do no wrong (in 25 reviews)

• The current upper management does not appear to care about the employees or their customers (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work part time

Casual Associate (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible scheduling, although now you are required to work three days a week
    Excellent discount across all company brands
    Learn a lot about the products and cooking
    Great team at the store makes it a fun place to work

ConsNew leadership is changing the policies of what made this brand so great for consumers.
    Having on-call shifts every week and only being able to call one hour before shift makes it difficult to schedule other jobs.
    Long hours during holidays and little training of seasonal workers makes job difficult, as well as payroll cuts that leave you without enough people working critical days.
    Can be difficult to deal with rude customers, especially for the pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting the hours, especially in the stock room We have not had a full time stock person for 5+ years and it shows. We cannot unpack boxes, stock and keep the back clean without dedicated staff.
    Change the on-call policy--having to wait till one hour before shift is ridiculous and is a time waster for many of us, keeping us from other jobs.
    Create a better tool for communication with casual people, especially emailing our schedules during the holidays.
    Bring back the contests where we actually win something!
    Eroding the corporate culture from 10 years ago--where we were there for the customer--is going to lose us customers. Already they are going to Macy's, Costco and other brands rather than Williams-Sonoma, because we aren't offering to be there for them. People go to Nordstrom's and Williams-Sonoma and pay higher prices because of how we care for them.

It Was Fun Working At The Call Center!

Furniture Specialist (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV (US)

ProsThe Pros of working at Williams-Sonoma were great employees , everyone had a welcoming type of feel! The managers really try and help you succeed & there is always room from advancement! They are always giving away free things & having raffles to keep all the employee's engaged! PLUS there is ALOT of overtime available especially around the holidays & summertime!

ConsThe pay could be better ;

Great work life balance culture

ProsWilliams-Sonoma is very understanding about their workers having family and encourages to balance those aspects. Peers and co-workers are all very supportive and take pride in the work we do which makes it a good place to work. They accommodate (do not prefer) remote working conditions which can help with the work life balance aspect of things.

ConsStill very corporate which makes project completion a bit hectic at times since there are a lot of departments to go through to get consensus. Need to be able to adjust to project changing in the last minute which can make things more stressful

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great products, difficult to advance

Retail Associate (Former Employee) The Woodlands, TX (US)

ProsThe company offers casual associates the ability to determine what days they want to work. Great employee discount and great products. People want to shop at WS so customers are generally great to deal with.

ConsReally difficult to move up. Movement seems to be highly based on who you know not what you know. Policies are generally inconsistently enforced. Hours can be extremely unpredictable and go from excessive to nothing between December and March.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the big picture when it comes to resources given to the store to conduct business.

Great Experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

ProsExcellent Discount! Wide array of products for the kitchen enthusiast to learn about. Friendly coworkers. Great cross-branding with sister companies.

ConsSome times corporate is not always in-touch with what is actually happening in the stores. They setup policies (especially return policies) and then when the associates try to abide by the policies, if the guest is not satisfied, they complain to corporate and corporate caves in and gives the customer what they want. This really makes the associates look foolish.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest a little time with each associate to develop their product knowledge. The more knowledgeable the associate is, the better they can sell the products to the guests.

Overall, a good company to work for

General Manager (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsAllows autonomy, financially secure, well paying

Consnot as flexible and open minded as they should be

Advice to Senior Managementopen up to new ideas in new countries

Lots of work with little empowerment.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsBest reasons to work here: discount, get to cook, create and eat and get to chat with very passionate customers.

ConsThe cons are the workload placed on the team can be overwhelming. The company is very reactionary to business and can expect you to change directions in a very small window of time. Classic case of little hours to run the business and lots of tasks. The store systems are prehistoric and takes forever to use.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnough with all of the tasks! Create some sort of exit strategy for old signage and paperwork. Stop being fear mongers about the competition.

I enjoyed working here, it is a great company

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsI like talking to people and helping them decide on catalog purchases

ConsHelping upsets customers and no managers around to ask questions to

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more managers available for associate questions and help

Cool brand, needs improvement - great learning

Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Prosfun products, intelligent people who have been there for a while

Conseveryone is very stuck in their way of doing things. no one is moving forward with the marketplace. middle/senior management don't understand the workflow at the bottom of the totem pole.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the morale up!

There is a lot to learn and the training doesn't cover a great deal of it.

Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV (US)

ProsYou get a 40% discount on very popular products. Your co-workers will be more helpful than the supervisors & leads. Don't be afraid to ask absolutely anyone who's attention you can get.

ConsI can't speak for all of the supervisors, of course. The "Seasonal" supervisor I got, for my "Seasonal" employment was the worst I've ever had. He openly criticized his wards, after he neglected to answer their questions, or give them good advise. There were a couple of other supervisors who helped me, but it just made my supervisor angry when I turned to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to supervise your supervisors. Some are just not doing their jobs.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!