Williams-Sonoma

www.williams-sonomainc.com
Engaged on Glassdoor

The best people in retail for Williams Sonoma.

Current Employee - General Manager in Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People who care about eachother for all the right reasons. Always having a culture of exceptence and excellence.

Cons

Trying to make every guest know how important they are, never enough time in my day.

Work smarter not harder.

Unrealistic expectations and inadequate resources

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discount is 40% off all full price merchandise excluding electrics. An additional discount is offered during the holiday season for cutlery, electrics and cookware.

Cons

Retail is an extremely challenging line of work. Managing a store could be argued to be far more demanding then overseeing a district, region or corporate function. The leaders at this company are disconnected, they don't know what it means to work in a store. The bar is constantly raised when the bare minimum is not even achievable in the majority of stores. There is no payroll. Most stores get 220 hours each week. That includes all of management with the average store having at least 2-3 full time managers and at least 2 part time managers. In all stores at least 2 managers are exempt. Responsibilities of the store include painting, patching, unloading the UPS truck at least 3x each week with an average of 100 cartons. During the holidays the average store receives 300 boxes 4+ times each week. The store offers complimentary knife sharpening, online returns, and send sales for customers. The only people allowed to complete RTV's and many other shipping/receiving responsibilities are the exempt managers, and with a manager needing to oversee the floor at all times, do the math. Exempt managers work a minimum of 6 days a week, 10+ hours each day. If they don't, the store will fail. The backrooms are treacherous, kitchens filthy and no budget to do anything about it.. When I joined the brand I had high hopes of a long and successful career. I had previously managed a district and joined as a GM to start something new and different and I was excited. I can honestly say, unfortunately, that my sentiments are shared by 90% of the managers (particularly exempt) that I have interacted with. The DM's are also super over-jobbed and under trained. This is a highly stressful environment with little incentive to join. The pay is not competitive. If I had known a year ago how awful WS is to work for I would have run from the recruiter. I truly hope this review helps guide others in making a more appropriate career choice.

You have to spend money to make money, and on the right things. Invest in talent and training.

Internship

Former Intern - Distribution Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Distribution Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience working at the store and learning about the corporate life. Lots of meetings and it is very frantic work environment. Beautiful office and flag ship store is amazing to work at.

Cons

Pay was low
    Department was not prepared to have an intern so not much for me to do. (Though other interns were more active some were hired on immediately)

Create a more structured internship program that can be applied throughout the company and make it more unified. Overall great program.

Control Buyer

Former Employee - Control Buyer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Control Buyer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The experience and discount are amazing. It's a great place to climb the corporate ladder.

Cons

The culture has changed since Howard passed away. Finding the right supervisor is the key to advancement. Easy to burn out if you let yourself.

Great seasonal job

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Fast paced environment with customers passionate about the products. Enjoyed introducing unique products to customers that enjoyed cooking and baking. Good employee discounts so we could get first hand knowledge of products to share with customers.

Cons

Was told the shifts would be shorter than they really were. Management did not always seem to be interested in the customer; could not walk a customer to another part of the store to sell other items as we had to stay in our specific section.

Great retail experience.

Former Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly managers, quality products, flexible scheduling, delicious food samples, comfortable but classy dress code, great discounts, overall good place to work.

Cons

It's retail, entitled customers, hours of standing, lower discount on electronics, heavy lifting, sometimes disorganized stock, pay is not great for associates

More product knowledge training would be helpful for associates.

Manager

Former Employee - Coordinator
    Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Good benefits package, treat employees well, lots of training opportunities, great products

Cons

Stressful job circumstances, not a lot of room for career advancement

Visual designer - produce as close to picture as possible in all floor sets, life styles.

Current Employee - Visual Designer in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Visual Designer in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Good discount on full price product. Hard working managers. Friendly staff.

Cons

Training and daily work goals for visual ambiguous.

Be more specific with visual goals and make assignments clear so we are not overlapping or working on less than necessary tasks.

A lot of inconsistencies, poor leadership,

Current Employee - Fsa in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Fsa in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discount, well-maintained lunch room, good lunch program, nice products

Cons

Too many to list but for starters order process is flawed, the supervisors and/or managers are only there to put out fires for their subordinates and the customers. I say fix the problems with work-flow process and you won't need that many supervisors and hopefully have a lower turnover rate in employees. Good luck!

Carefully consider choosing systems that work.

I have been interviewed here.

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Good to wok, nice environment.

Cons

Not much friendly people are here.