Williams-Sonoma

Updated 23 October 2014
2.8

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 84 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management never visits the stores- causing a complete disconnect from stores to corporate (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

166 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very engaging company, motivating and authentic. Listens to individuals and their goals and encourages teams.

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very inspiring company, you can contribute and bring your ideas. Room to dream and grow. Honest candid feedback for your future development. You are encouraged to drive your business and are rewarded. Working here is inspiring and challenging and cutting edge for retail and ecom. You get to run your part of the business with support.

Cons

Moving faster than we can develop leaders. All teams must ramp up to bring along future leaders the company is young and thriving and needs innovative thinkers.

Continue to seek out and ask for innovative ideas. Great company for women very supportive. Love the people first culture. Continue to push for diversity and inclusion it is a great match with company goals.

Not for the technologically inclined

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, good chances for movement within the company

Cons

They do not value technology at all. Computers that are barely held together with tape are given to new employees. Industrial printers for the design team break on an almost daily basis. They have just enough equipment to go around and no spares if things break which is all the time.

invest in your company. it's hard to attract good talent when they will not get the tools to do their jobs.

Good place for dedicated teams.

Current Employee - Store Leader in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Leader in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong heritage culture, and customers are very appreciated and valued. The culinary culture is rich, and management wants people to succeed.

Cons

We work hard, and always ask people to improve

We could use more diversity and inclusion

Human Resources

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great brands and products so the discount is worthwhile. Good associates. Women in upper management and not just young talent.

Cons

There is a disconnect between associates and upper management. High turnover.

Nice place to hang out.

Former Employee - Data Warehouse Architect in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Data Warehouse Architect in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company discount, low pressure, friendly people, honest and straightforward management, tangible consistent goals and results, family- and community friendly culture

Cons

Like most retailers, little budget for great technology investment, except for store operations. Lots of old-times with little innovation, much to risk-averse. Average pay and benefits.

Continued the consistent growth and results with time-honored brands and marketing. Exploit technology and be innovative to cut costs/extend margins/become more efficient

District Manager that has been with WSI for more than 5 years.

Current Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company truly supports internal succession and career advancement. If you are ready to take that next step they will find the right spot for you, even with another brand within the organization, as I have experienced first hand. Stores are given the freedom to think on their feet and make the right decision for the guest. The overall atmosphere is very entrepreneurial and you feel very empowered by the leadership team. This has kept me engaged and excited in the fact that I can help steer the company in a new direction!

Cons

We run complex stores and sometimes the list of To-Do's and the companies expectation can overburdon our team. The trick is to work through your people, not doing it all yourself, and everything will fall into place.

Please continue to listen to and invest in the field team and stores. Over the past few years the changes we have all implemented together, corporate and field, has built the confidence of our associates and given them the tools to hit their goals.

Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Senior management seems committed to carrying the vision Chuck Williams had 50+ years ago. People are proud of the work they do and the products they offer to customers. A big per, of course, is the employee discount.

Cons

Some of the systems are a bit antiquated. But it could be a "if it isn't broken don't fix it" type thing.

Perhaps consider flex-time or go back to offering early Fridays.

The people are great, the pay is ok, the benefits are great. The IT department however is cumbersome to work in.

Former Employee - Project Manager III in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager III in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, people, discount, sample sale

Cons

IT Department supports production and Projects, and the focus is on production because this is a retail company. The project work is shoddy, and there is not much of a level of satisfaction, as the scope changes rapidly, and projects often do not complete in time due to resource issues.

Nice people, work/life balance, leadership varies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Low politics between teams who focus on getting the work done, big company feel where there's good work/ life balance, great discount across suite of brands (includes Pottery Barn and West Elm)

Cons

Some units at leadership level are increasingly political, micromanagement of finances, cheap (no funds for trainings, celebrations), below market salaries and/or abyssmal bonuses, teams foster relationships amongst themselves but leadership doesn't have a people-focus to decision making

From Employee To Foodie

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Williams-Sonoma is the mecca when it comes to food and it does so diligently by training their staff on the how-to's. I learned so much from being there, cultivating my passion for food and what to have and what not to do.

Food bridges the gap to communication and in turn brings forever lasting friendship.

There is so much to learn and everything is life appropriate.

Getting to yes is their policy and it's something unique that many companies do not do.

Cons

It's difficult to grow in the saturated retail world. Always look for corporate or office job.

There has been great and relentless members in management. All I'll say is to "always park ones ego at the door" and never bring it to work.