Windstream

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Heath Davies

Pros:
  • "Windstream offers great benefits to it's employees"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The pay is good, and I enjoy my job most of the time, I mean hardly anyone likes their job every single day"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Expected to sell to angry customers who are reporting customer service issues"
    in 8 reviews
  • "No where to move up unless you are friends with upper management, hard work does not pay off"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overworked, underpaid, and under appreciated.

Finance Analyst (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Windstream for more than 8 years

ProsThe ability to work from home.

ConsThere were not work/home boundaries

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate all the hard work your lower level employees put in.

Business Rep - Sales

Business Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Windstream full-time for less than a year

Pros- Decent starting base for someone with no prior sales experience and right out of college.
- Some management is very supportive and wants to help you be successful.
- Environment can be fun and light-hearted at times.

Cons- Very unrealistic sales expectations, very much a sink or swim set-up, even for people without sales experience.
- Favoritism is very apparent in management approach.
- Technology is very dated, but has improved. However learning the codes and balancing four open screens can be difficult.
- Not a lot of upward mobility - they hire from outside versus inside.
- Training is too short and not a lot of help provided once on the phones.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecommend a large investment in employee training coupled with an infrastructure refresh, very dated technology when compared to competitors.

Stable income, but miserable environment

Software Engineer I (Current Employee)
Greenville, SC (US)

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStable paycheck
Decent benefits
Easy to coast

ConsBoring work
No opportunity for advancement (financially or professionally)
Company is publicly traded
All of the good employees have left, leaving behind the mediocre and the consultants

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked for NuVox, before Windstream acquired them. The merger killed the somewhat enjoyable environment that Nuvox had fostered.
In the interest of full disclosure, I honestly know nothing about truly running a company. But maybe stop buying so many companies and successfully integrate the ones you already have. It may make the investors happy to keep growing like that, but it doesn't seem to be a very sustainable business model.

Retail Sales Consultant - Honest Review

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent benefits and a decent paycheck with what we have to work with. I must say that in my particular area that the manager is fair, willing to do anything to help you out and my co-workers are amazing people.

ConsThree rounds of layoffs and a surprising store closing that came out of left field for everyone. Selling products to customers and new customers when we do not have the sufficient technology to back-up our claim. Our call-center people re-route us fifty million times as well as the customers! Small incentives to keep us happy with the everchanging quotas, less payout on services and being pushed to do more than just your 100%, because we cannot meet goal somewhere else in the state. I do not feel like I am an important part of Windstream and I would not recommend this place to a friend. I am currently seeking other employment to get out of this as I do not see this changing. Windstream will never have the technology to keep up with its competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and help change the fact that there is a disconnect in each area of this company. You put money into the equipment, but it is to provide better service to business, but do not forget about your residential customers. You HAVE to upgrade the technology as this is an everchanging business and I feel as though I LIE to customers for sales. (ie; Yeah, up to 12mb even though I know I get a consistent 15 for half the price from a competitor) Our speeds are slow, our technology is ancient and we are not winning any points from the community at all.

Has redefined its business with strategic acquisitions but working to improve the execution of its vision

Manager (Current Employee)
Little Rock, AR (US)

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 5 years

Proscompetes well in market place compared to industry peers on price and product offerings.
Has proven willing to change management and is desperately trying to improve quality issues
Working to redefine its corporate culture. Technology company run by accountants so very focused on balance sheet

ConsFragmented organizational structure with lots of silos
Has suffered some quality issues from growing by acquisition very quickly
Technology company tun by accountants so very focused on balance sheet, cuts both ways

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to input from front-line employees and create a leadership program

The stress and instability just aren't worth it.

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCo-workers are nice and just as miserable as myself. We have a close bond because of the sad, ridiculous things we all go through here.

ConsUnobtainable quota. Trickle down micro-management (from Senior level). A constant decrease in commissionable products / services. A constant increase in workload because of job / budget cuts. A constant decrease in ancillary reimbursements (no more cell phones, gas reimbursement now maxed at certain amount, company travel / expenses now must be pre-approved and rarely are, etc). Back office support now non-existent (eliminated office / sales coordinators & secretaries). The list goes on and on. As a very succsesful sales professional, this is by far the hardest company I've ever worked for to be successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management / C Level: Please cut the dividend. It's very obvious to everyone on the ground level that we're paying the price to maintain our dividend. Cutting our commissions, eliminating bonuses, support jobs and sales tools only drives away good sales talent. We all know that management is cutting corners everywhere they can to maintain free cash flow but at some point we need to realize that it's hurting the company from an operational standpoint. Our customer service is now horrible, our good sales people have left for more lucrative opportunities, our local sales management are now nothing more than sacrifical lambs because of unrealistic quotas. It's time to save face, cut the dividend to free up cash flow and reinvest it in our people and network. Stop putting everyone through hell just to pay a buck every year on the stock. Start making working here fun again.

Security Engineer

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Stable company
- Competitive benefits

ConsPoor inter department cooperation.
Silo'd teams
Bureaucratic

Great place to work

Analyst (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY (US)

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunities abound in this up and coming company

ConsWould like to see the stock price coming up

Advice to Senior ManagementStay nimble and competitive

Not a bad place to grow, once you leave the call center; but you will have to work hard at carving your career path.

Maitland, FL (US)

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBecause of its size, there are great opportunities in many different areas. Entry level positions are a good launching pad. Products are evolving for the better, and recent organizational changes seem promising.

ConsTraining is not balanced among different organizations. Because of so many recent acquisitions, its network and people are divided. Some teams are great to work with, some others are impossible. Job opportunities are not always location friendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the micromanagement aura, and embrace a more technically skilled audience. Nature better career development, with a focus on atmosphere, and people will be happy to stay.

This Company is a Joke!

Business Account Manager (Former Employee)
Hiawatha, IA (US)

I worked at Windstream full-time for less than a year

ProsAs a business account manager the bonus pay was awesome!

ConsThis company totally lacks any empathy or compassion for its employees, the department I worked for eliminated and they told us exactly 12 days before Christmas that we would be without a job. There where no heads up or no warning signs. Some people had already put in over 10 years with the company, but still was terminated. Then the company advised to apply for open positions within the company....really? Why eliminate a whole department then advise those jobless employees to apply for other open positions. If the whole department was being dismantled why not place those employees in the open positions that they are most qualified for instead of forcing them to apply and compete with outside competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to training because you all are terrible at it.....even the director!

Worked for Windstream? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Windstream reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Windstream CEO Heath Davies . All 121 reviews are posted anonymously by Windstream employees.