Windstream

Windstream Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Windstream – “Windstream”

Jeffery R Gardner

Pros
  • Good pay (for sales people who can make quota) and great benefits(in 12 reviews)

• Decent pay, company vehicle, great coworkers(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Expected to sell to angry customers who are reporting customer service issues(in 12 reviews)

• Then one day, Upper Management changed, and that was all she wrote(in 12 reviews)

Contract worker

ProsRelaxed environment to work in

ConsIf contract paying for parking everyday gets taxing.

Great place to get started!

Associate Network Analyst (Current Employee) Little Rock, AR (US)

ProsWindstream is a great place to get started in IT and network systems. Work environment is good and like the people I work with.

ConsSometimes it is hard to get opportunities to move up in the company. Need various certs and certificates to move in other departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow the workplace to become like a call center and trust your employees with respect.

Work here if you like to feel suffering and pain on a daily basis...like cutting yourself.

Corporate (Former Employee) Twinsburg, OH (US)

ProsWork at this job if you need some resume building, your first job out of college or you are working at one of the stores or the call center during high school or college. Place is not designed for career orientated people unless you some plan to work yourself into the "good 'ole boys club" and be a lifer. Pay is above minimum wage so it counts to be on a resume.

ConsAlmost NONE of the employees are customers because the service is so bad. Call Center people are typically outsourced overseas. The store employees are wage slaves with unrealistic sales goals and if you end up in corporate, in Ohio or Arkansas, be ready for fiefdoms and petty managers in fighting each other in a never ending battle to prove they have the "bigger" department. And if you are one of those guys in the vans, be warned there is a GPS on your vehicle and if you spend too much time at lunch, get ready for a pink slip. That is another problem. The first hick-up the company runs into, layoffs happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are NOT disposable like restaurant take home containers. Also, I live in southern Ohio now and I have seen those Windstream vans as your company spreads like a virus in your plans to sell yourselves to AT&T or Verizon after you manage to become the only land-line company in America. My only hope is a) you change (and you won't) or b) it becomes "uncool" to even have land line phone service and your stock sinks to Enron levels. At least you'll exist as a human fodder factory as step one on people's career ladders. Like working at the "mill" or the "coal mine" in some small town. Everyone in town works there at some point before realizing "hey...there is a world outside this one-horse town".

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account Executive ISG

Account Executive ISG (Former Employee) Manchester, NH (US)

ProsTechnically knowledgeable staff, innovative solutions , consultative practices VS sales pitching tactics

ConsQuotas not within scale of the market place opportunities. Products are not very competitive against competitive offers , especially in the SMB market. Also salary and commission structure is not competitive enough to retail the best talent. Your loosing your best and brightest to your competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore time is warranted for market studies. Career advancement should come from within the company and needs to be encouraged more VS hiring new managers from the outside.

Great job, but not a great company

ProsGood pay (for sales people who can make quota) and great benefits. The support staff are excellent (when they receive training)

ConsThecompany has tried to do too much, too fast. Aquiring 7 companies in the past 5 years has the internal workings of this company in chaos. As soon as processes are figured out, they change. Customer satisfaction has tanked and are leaving Windstream because of the mistakes, extended installation times and billing errors, which are the rule rather than the exception. Mistakes on payroll have also become the norm, and there is much suspicion that it is intentional due to the end of quarted timing of huge errros on paychecks. The company now pays their IRA contribution in Windstream stocks, and charges you to convert them to cash.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement won't listen - it's all about driving stock prices and everyone knows the stock has taken a huge dive in the past couple of years. Confidence in Windstream is low, and the stock predictions are not good. Because of this I don't think management cares about the chaos at the sales and installations level, just about how they are going to keep reporting cash on hand and predicted stock prices based on their investments in infrastructure.

DO NOT work there

Tier I Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) Hazelwood, MO (US)

ProsGood way to understand networking (IP Address, VPN, etc.)

ConsThis should not be a "call-center, production-based" job. IT Help Desk should be based on the amount of helping others resolve their IT problems, not trying to get them off the phone in the quickest time possible. This position should not be within a 24/7 environment because there wasn't enough Tier 2 support overnight

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more Tier 2 support for those that are working overnight OR not have an overnight shift at all. This should not be a production based job because it takes away the REAL support that IT Help Desk should offer

Ok but not great

IT Audit Senior (Former Employee) Little Rock, AR (US)

Prosco-workers, office locations, non-customer facing employees can wear very casual attire

Conspromotions, personal growth, stock price, benefits, executive leadership

Love the people and management! Its corporate america so its only for those that like the hustle!

General (Current Employee) Little Rock, AR (US)

ProsCo-workers, company culture is very open and people powered, can occassionally work from home, business casual dress code, feel valued and appreciated,

Consworkload goes in peaks and valleys, but again its corporate America and you have to show why you deserve top salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirect management does a great job. VP and SVP's should micromanage less

Awesome People

Recruiting Assistant (Current Employee) Little Rock, AR (US)

ProsThere has never been a time during my tenure at WIN that I've needed help and no one jumped up to assist. The team that I am part of prides itself on open communication and true comradery, and members of the team certainly walk the walk in that regard. It certainly helps with the bandwidth issue mentioned in the Cons section.

ConsWIN is very lean - which means that bandwidth per employee can, at times, be stretched to the limit. This can hinder work-life balance, which is a top priority for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith regard to overall leadership - A+. My direct supervisor is an all-star - the door is always open, this individual is very approachable, and handles conflict without flinching. With regard to the work-life balance, it's a struggle for the team's manager, as well. There's not much to be done. If the headcount isn't there, it isn't there.

Want worker bee yes men, not family friendly

Prosnone that I can think of

Consclaim they want their employees opinions and that they're going to work to "change the culture", but they only thing they do is try to indoctrinate their employees on how they want them to think

Advice to Senior Managementmaybe actually listen to what the employees have to say, there's a reason there have been poor employee surveys 2 years in a row...

Worked for Windstream? Contribute to the Community!