Windstream Reviews

Updated 27 April 2015
360 reviews filtered by

1. Uphill Battle

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

High potential earnings, Extremely technical product line and great support from various levels of departments. Large market territories and a product set that works well for businesses with multi-locations and looking for customized managed services

Cons

Relationships internal and externally are key to being successful. Installation times longer and more painful than competitors. Frequent outages deter new business and hurt current customer relationships. Many legacy systems still needing integration make it hard to have access to quick reliable information.

Advice to Management

Expectations from upper level management to view every market with the same quota potential is outrageous. Nazi style sales persuasion doesn't promote office moral and detracts from productivity.

Not what it used to be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR (US)

I worked at Windstream

Pros

Great benefits, good span of control

Cons

Multiple rounds of layoffs have left employees scared for their future. This has led to a decline in morale and a new CYA-mentality. Employees are scared to take risks, afraid that any small mistake might cause them their job. Raises are almost non-existent. The company continues to reorganize regularly so that consistency is almost impossible.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about measuring company culture and start creating it - lead by example, stop making your employees paranoid and allow them to be creative and take risks, and stop letting talent walk out the door because you don't reward it.

3. Retail Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Windstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Okay company to work for emphasis on business sales. I worked on the residential side, in what is a dying industry being they are a DSL company. Yes that means phone line. Business sales are growing with this position you have oppurtunities to make small business sales and you make good $$$. Retail not so much.
    Job gets left at the office other than stressing about quotas.

Cons

Customer service is a horable thing to deal with in a company that has inferior technology. Constant complaing of slow internet and outages. Management is never on your side during these disputes and will throw you under the bus in order to save themselves. Quota are outrageous about 30% of the time. And pay is based on tiered system comprising all products, so max quota are unreachable.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees.

5. I was a law clerk for the In Counsel Department.

Former Intern - Law Clerk in Little Rock, AR (US)
    Former Intern - Law Clerk in Little Rock, AR (US)

I worked at Windstream as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You get broad exposure to a lot of areas of the law. You have a lot of independence in getting your work done. As long as you produce good work product, work will continue to be sent your way.

Cons

Not as much fellow employee contact as I would have liked. The desk for law clerks when I was there was basically in a closet.

Advice to Management

Sell the company more to your law clerks.

6. Interesting and challenging.

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Twinsburg, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Twinsburg, OH (US)

I worked at Windstream

Pros

Hours and meeting some nice co workers. Our group was very close. We were a family.

Cons

Always having to be on our peas and ques. Always being watched from supervisors from any department. Felt like I was in school again. If they liked you they liked you. If not you had better watch out. Management even talked about each other. A lot of backstabbing.

Advice to Management

Still trying to figure out why everyone in the late 50s n 60s were all let go but the 2 under 40 were found a position. We seniors were interviewed but no one wanted us. We could only get 6 weeks of unemployment.

7. Good company when started, but company executives become only concerned with themselves instead of helping those selling

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Windstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits: medical/dental/vision insurance; good retirement package; pays travel expenses.

Cons

Managers ridicule you more than they help. Training in field was not adequate. Need more ramp up time to meet quotas. Quotas need to be reflective upon territories assigned.

Advice to Management

In depth in field training. More ramp up time to meet quotas. Quotas need to be reflective upon territories assigned.

8. The Logo is an Electric Worm

Former Employee - Network Analyst I in Little Rock, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Network Analyst I in Little Rock, AR (US)

I worked at Windstream

Pros

The pay was a nice improvement over my previous employer. It was also closer to the house, so the commute time was nice.

Cons

While on an individual level some of management is personable and I found one could easily tackle situations with, overall, the entire presentation higher up was different. The cultural presentation of the company said one thing, but did not match what was really going on, and the whispers and rumors of the future made more than a few people look elsewhere for employment.

9. Great company

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

Strong corporate strategy in place.

Cons

Sometimes moves too slow to react to competition.

A company to build your career foundation

Current Employee - ERC Data & Voice Spec in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - ERC Data & Voice Spec in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

Great place to learn and grown in the IT Industry. Will be a good place to get accustom to the field. Great team environment.

Cons

Fast-paced environment. Constant workload and unorganized organization. Access to necessary applications are not always available to perform duties.

Advice to Management

Need to have more balance for employees.

11. Significant positive movement towards standardization and efficiency, but a LONG way to go

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Optimistic leadership team, hard working teams to figure out how to get the impossible done. Teams work together to find alternatives, however the customization of every solution increases the challenges to deploy and support...

Cons

Executive management are detached from details; processes and standards need to be developed in order to further the business. Many legacy companies continue to operate separately; antiquated equipment with little focus on replacement.

Advice to Management

Focus on the root cause of the issues. Processes require standardization, as well as enforcement.