Windstream Reviews

Updated 22 October 2014
2.8

Windstream President & CEO Jeffery R Gardner
Jeffery R Gardner

Pros
  • Good benefits but have been degraded for this year (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay (for sales people who can make quota) and great benefits (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible training, provisioning, customer service and the systems are a nightmare (in 15 reviews)

• No communication from Upper Management to CEO, CFO (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Live to work?

I worked at Windstream full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The director and managers I worked with were very easy going.

Cons

Be prepared to work long days during month close. Many days where I didn't even see the sun. Seems like their close process is too detailed, and they focus on things you've never even heard of.

Need less talk, more action

Current Employee - Network Technician
    Current Employee - Network Technician

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My peers are good to work with. Our immediate supervisor is affable and tries to stay out of our way, unless something comes from above. The pay is ok, but could be better. I think the benefits are less than average compared to other companies I have worked for, especially the health insurance. They certainly could do better if they tried.

Cons

Five years since Windstream bought Nuvox, the two companies are not fully integrated. Further acquisitions only made matters worse, leaving every department adrift with no clear direction of who did what or where to go for help. It has gotten a little better, but there is still friction between departments. There is also no accountability for most of the groups, and when things go wrong the first thing that happens is finding someone to take the blame. When upper management talks about the culture of accountability and turning things around most employees attitude is "I'll believe it when I see it".

Don't think you have all the answers, because NEWS FLASH!, you don't. Don't think that hourly employees or entry level ones don't have anything to contribute. Take the time to go out and mingle with them instead of rubbing elbows with other executives up in your glass tower. Trust me, you will not catch any cooties.

Windstream Hosted

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent if you can sell something. Good Oppurtunity to network with others in technology.

Cons

They have no idea how to grow in new markets. All of management has this idea they can do things the Raleigh way(where Hosted Solutions started). They aren't innovative and will never compete with the likes of IBM,Amazon etc. The network has a bad reputation in a lot of markets. A lot of disconnect between the network and datacenter side. Windstream needs to decide what they want to be. A Telco or true datacenter player. They will be another struggling technology company in the next few years if they aren't acquired first.

Management needs to look in the mirror and understand a lot of the companies faults are on them. Poor management hires, not excepting reality, not having employees backs and the list goes on and on and on. Wake up!

Not a healthy work environment

Former Employee - Business Sales Representative in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Business Sales Representative in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and comp plan

Cons

Money cannot make up for the disrespectful way you are treated and talked to by management. On top of that installs do not go as planned. They are not an innovative tech company. It is old school management, manage with a stick philosophy, and if you are not socially accepted....forget it. Expensive health benefits compared to companies in the same industry.

Take your HR complaints and turnover rate seriously. There is an issue looming or maybe an EEOC complaint coming your way when workers are mistreated according to the law. Do not keep looking the other way and believing someone just because they are in a leadership role.

It was a step towards a better career. Not a career.

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

building trust in the brand, saving customers who wish to cancel

Cons

no mgmt. support. no upward mobility

Great Atmosphere and Great Company

Current Employee - Account Executive II in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive II in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great management and colleagues. No territories. You drive your own success.

Cons

Multiple cumbersome CRM's while integrating all platforms.

Nice placed

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

Very good benefits, nice pay

Cons

Some off the peers you have to work with

NA

Great co workers and supervisors. Upper management unrealistic.

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Baldwin, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Baldwin, GA (US)

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good as well as paid Holidays and Vacations. Pay structure is good.

Cons

Office culture is very stressful with a lot of pressure for achieving quality, low call time and sales.

Try harder to keep seasoned employees in order to reduce churn. Upper management is out of touch with customer service wanting excellent customer service without permitting representatives the time or judgement to do that effectively.

Windstream is operating in a turbulent environment, ignore how this will affect your job at your own peril

Former Employee - Fiber Splicer Tech II in Evansville, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Fiber Splicer Tech II in Evansville, IN (US)

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a large corporation, and so to some degree jobs hold a level of structure and stability that are attractive. The managers are largely seasoned telecommunications professionals with years in the industry.

Cons

Corporate policies are shifting gradually but constantly, as the organization seeks to integrate newly acquired companies and stay positioned to correctly in an intensely competitive marketplace. If you were employed at one of the old legacy telephone companies which was acquired, now is a good time to take some additional classes to sharpen your skillsets, and dust off your resume'. Qualified, motivated contributors are valued, but upward mobility and lateral mobility are limited, and whole operating arms can be and have been lopped off as redundant with little notice.

In rounds of layoffs I saw extremely valuable resources let go, with decades of knowledge and skills. Windstream could capitalize on this better with an inventory of the human assets within the company, and encourage cross-pollination of employee experience by encouraging more lateral movement between the disparate acquisitions.

I would recommend company to other peers.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Little Rock, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Little Rock, AR (US)

I have been working at Windstream part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, good compensation and flexible working hours

Cons

Instability of company as whole, hard to move into other career advancements within the company

Include employees on big changes within the company. Dont let your employees find out the changes within their company from 3rd parties