Windstream Reviews

Updated 26 August 2014

2.7

Windstream President & CEO Jeffery R Gardner
Jeffery R Gardner

Pros
  • Good pay (for sales people who can make quota) and great benefits (in 12 reviews)

• Decent pay, company vehicle, great coworkers (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Expected to sell to angry customers who are reporting customer service issues (in 12 reviews)

• Then one day, Upper Management changed, and that was all she wrote (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Started out great but went downhill fast

Former Employee - Associate Network Analyst  in  Little Rock, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Network Analyst in Little Rock, AR (US)

I worked at Windstream full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay was decent and co-workers were fun to work with.

Cons

Management in BTAC had no clue what they were doing. They shipped jobs over to India, India didn't half do the work, and customers are still suffering with poor service. I felt like management didn't care about me as an employee.

Spend some of the billions in revenue you bring in each year to upgrade the network. Otherwise, people will keep leaving and going to other ISPs and Windstream will cease to exist as a company. And you actually might try caring about your employees rather than just looking for the next person to take their place when they leave.

Account Management

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

At times there is management support.

Cons

Not fairly compensated for the job. Over worked and under paid.

Reward and acknowledge.

Disappointing - Lacks vision, mission and everything between

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Little Rock, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Little Rock, AR (US)

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Nothing ever changes...you can fly under the radar forever.
    - Salary is average (at par or slightly below) compared to industry
    - State of the art transport network

Cons

- Senior management detached from ground realities
    - Recent Opex reductions were made without any regard for business impact
    - Too Many non revenue generating projects in the pipeline that is taking valuable time away from 'real' work
    - Understaffed
    - All recent HR initiatives to boost morale and ownership culture have completely failed. Some of the HR folk I have encountered are the most rude
    - Aggressively moving away from standards to a 'wild west' attitude
    - Responsibilities are given to individuals rather than teams

- Read cons above!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company but not for the faint of heart

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Windstream full-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall I think the positives outweigh the negatives with this company because I have noticed that I have had nothing but a positive experience. Yet I know that others feel differently. If you like to be screamed at by customers, like to be monitored by coach monitors, and are a problem solver then this company is the place for you. There are reviews that state about the big brother scenario, but I sort of like that. It keeps us on our toes and makes sure that we are giving a positive customer experience. This is why a lot of people do not last is the consistent fear of being let go. You get grades on your quality score and if you score a seventy and above you are okay but below that is not a good score. My dear people, if you get one bad score it is not the end of the world but if it remains a continuous thing then expect a new job search. It allows you to strive for perfection, and those who are consistent are rewarded.
    They also have peaks challenges and for every challenge you complete you get a flag and a hundred dollars. The flags are fun to get, but to do them it takes a lot of overtime and your ability to come early or to stay late. These include presentations and papers. The more you get the more notoriety that you receive from upper management. Peaks plus great quality equal respect by upper management. You get what you put in and both of these things will give you job security. The commission structure has changed and it is now easier to ascertain it. Also, you can keep your job because people continuously leave and the fact they are always hiring. I love my team and overall I have had a great experience.

Cons

People state that attendance is difficult, but it is fair. If you have kids and a family who consistently need you then you will have trouble keeping a job. If you are married the same attendance is given to you than those who are not. You get eight days during the year and after that you are let go. I have seen that and most of the time that is why people are let go. Longevity does not matter, you must come in on time. I am single and don't have kids so it is okay with me. I like the fairness.There are other reasons to get fired and quality is the second. If you get three zeros then bye. The zeros are if you do not verify the account. I have been there for seven months and have never gotten a zero. They are very hard to get. The same rule applies to new people. They used to have the ninety day rule but that has changed. Some managers are more lenient than others. My friend got fired for four zeros for non verification. Her manager was overly nice about that. She gave her an opportunity and she failed. She looked at the rest of the people in our new hire training class and then made her decision. There is a problem with security and with that being said if you do your job you will not get fired. They always hire and their philosophy is that for every senior person that gets fired then three more will be hired. The empty desks always baffle me because I truly like this place. They have a training class every two months. Also, out of the nineteen people in my class only six are left. Four people recently will leave upon the completion of this weekend. That means two will remain; a friend and myself. We like our managers and our position.

Na

Never a Happy Medium...

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When I started here in 2008, It was pretty great. The morale was up, the "magnys" (commission) was both easily attainable and worth the headache of dealing with irate customers all day..

Cons

Then one day, Upper Management changed, and that was all she wrote. What used to be a fairly managed unit turned into a MICRO-managed Jail! If you found yourself on a call for more than five minutes doing everything you can to help the customer, Here comes an IM "You Okay?" followed by an email telling you to "watch your hold/wrap." They drive "Quality" when it comes to dealing with the customers, yet don't really show "quality" to the reps..

Please, For the love of GOD, and his son JESUS CHRIST...Stop making us squeeze blood out of a turnip and FIX THE INTERNET!

To many changes.

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is OK, my co - workers are great people,

Cons

lack of training, lack of support from management,

wouldn't matter they wouldn't listen

Hosted Solutions Division

I worked at Windstream

Pros

They'll hire anybody. If you have relationships with local companies in place it may not be a bad place to work.

Cons

Product not where it needs to be. Unless you're selling into an area where the Telecom dominates like North Carolina or such, you are going to get killed. Good luck hitting quota driving net new business here.

Good pay but policies and procedures are allover the place with a high turnover.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Windstream full-time for more than a year

Pros

Commission structure is great if you hit quota

Cons

Quota is often higher than it should have been, due to misrepresentation of revenue

Executive Management should be more involved in policies and procedures.

Windstream

I worked at Windstream

Pros

"Enjoyed the experience and working with/for many talented people during my 31+ years".

Cons

Would have preferred being offered another opportunity within the company instead of my position, along with 400 others, being eliminated.

Good Luck..................

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Little Rock, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Little Rock, AR (US)

I worked at Windstream full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive salary and good benefits

Cons

Dedicated employees are passed over for advancement if they are not in the loop or know someone.

Promote on experience/education, and not the buddy system or brown nosing.

Worked for Windstream? Contribute to the Community!