Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Updated 25 January 2015
Updated 25 January 2015
2.7

Dalton Philips

Pros
  • The only positive I got out of working for Morrison's was the staff Discount (in 45 reviews)

• Most of the staff are friendly and helpful however, not all of them (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of staff was an issue whilst I was working there (in 10 reviews)

• expected to work unpaid after your 8 hour shift by senior management in instore , (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in York, England
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in York, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

Friendly staff and management
    Flexible Hours that can be swapped easily

Cons

Slightly unclean workplace
    Although management are friendly there still can be a big void between you and them ( No communication, only via supervisors and letters)

Get more involved with it's employees

Great people at head office. Challenging mgmt

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

Fantastic people
    Good atmosphere
    Reasonable work life balance

Cons

Feel as though owned by senior bosses.
    Some bullying culture still remains
    Poor management decisions, which whilst allegedly making sure ROI is achieved, ignore hidden costs and challenges from less senior staff to save face. This results in bad decisions which cost the company money.

Start to look at the real costs of projects!

Job has become more hassle

Current Employee - General Assistant
    Current Employee - General Assistant

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

Staff discount days are worthwhile for stocking up.
    My hours are part-time and suit my personal circumstances.
    Staff parking,although not allowed at Christmas busy trade time.
    Generous annual leave,but needs booking up well in advance.

Cons

part-timers tend to get overlooked,the occasional thanks wouldn`t go amiss.Feel invisible and undermined.
    I feel I have to do more in my part-time shift than a lot of full time staff drag out over a day,by the time they`ve had all their breaks.
    Am expected to go to checkouts when busy or to cover breaks,when I have my own job to do,on a deadline.Morrisons are obsessed with keeping queues down.
    Staff aren`t happy working there when they are not appreciated,and I can see skiving and incompetence on a massive level.
    Have observed some members of staff getting away with avoiding their share of tasks.Unbelievably a "colleague"(I use the term loosely!) refused to go on checkouts because they"didn`t engage with people well"(working in Retail?)All staff should be till-trained.Treat everybody equally.
    Too much unwanted food,left on checkouts.Seeing expensive meat and fish left to go off is souldestroying.

Get rid of or monitor persistent takers of sickness and absence,too many individuals leading a charmed life!
    Skivers wear down honest,conscientious staff who end up having to cover for them.
    Stop the Hot service post-it note gimmicks,too much brown-nosing amongst colleagues.I treat customers how i want to be treated,but never ever got a mention.

Quite Flexible company to work for

Current Employee - Team Member in Bournemouth, England
    Current Employee - Team Member in Bournemouth, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They are quite flexible as it is quite easy to swap shifts with other colleagues if you cannot make the time you were scheduled for. This makes things easy if you have other things that come up last minute or appointments to go to.

Cons

There is no extra pay in the MLocal stores for Sundays or bank holidays or night shifts unlike other supermarkets which may pay time and a half for working at such times.

Challenging and structured graduate programme

Former Employee - Graduate Trainee in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Graduate Trainee in Leeds, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

- Was a very challenging and wide range of experience across the manufacturing industries they are involved in

Cons

- Career progression is slow and being a large organisation pace of change is slower then expected

- Continue to push through change and adapt to the changing market conditions

Too much legal without enough staff to get it done correctly. Every store is under staffed.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in London, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Staff discount, good standards are desired by most. Community idea works well.

Cons

Poor staffing, under managed from the top, standards are set but not followed up, complex procedures make for unnecessary extra work, very poor discipline procedures in place....it takes way too much to work staff from the business. You can get away with murder!!

Manage your managers....it's a free for all out there!

One of the best UK unskilled employers that I have worked for

Current Employee - Produce Sales Assistant in Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Produce Sales Assistant in Leicester, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than a year)

Pros

*1 hr lunch and 2 paid 15 minute breaks over a 9 hr shift. Very reasonable indeed in this day and age.
    *Decent staff discount scheme (10%) which even part time staff get.
    *A very large diverse organization with vast majority of jobs going as internal vacancies for the sufficiently motivated/ambitious.
    *One of the few UK retailers to still offer full flexi contracted hours ie not Zero Hours.
    *Although they don't pay or give lieu for Bank Holidays they do pay a fair anti social hour bonus and time and a half at Christmas etc. Again very decent in this day and age. Most companies do not.

Cons

* Understaffing is a corporate strategy creating incredibly resentment from top to bottom as everyone puts pressure in everyone else to do the impossible and customer service takes a beating along with staff morale.
    * Older non Class A stores, particularly ex Safeways, are often very grotty and unpleasant places to work in.
    * As above regarding staff facilities, particularly break and on-site catering
    * No secure/reserved parking areas for staff. No provision for motorcycles/scooters etc.
    * Does not pay a living wage. £6.70 for those eligible adults. Less for youngsters.
    * Awful HR. Consistently recruits the wrong people for the wrong roles. That said, they are very good at employing older and younger workers. This can be rightly seen as a very positive thing in this day and age.
    * Incredible lack of ethnic diversity. I don't think it is racism per se, just that the core of this company is white through and through and like begets like.
    * Involved with Workfare which should be of great concern to current and prospective employees
    * Awful strategy for dealing with market share encroachment by discounters. Emphasis on abstract (and wholly deprecated) concepts such as 'customer service' and a rubbish loyalty scheme.
    * Has a lot of dead wood at every level that really hurts the business as a whole
    * Very disproportionate pay and rewards between grunts and management.

Honestly, none. Retail is a hard business and managers are necessarily ruthless and metrics orientated. I am not a manager so I do not feel qualified to comment. I will say that imho WM Morrison is largely a good company and a good package for those who work for it compared to their competitors and taken against our woeful slave wage economy as a whole.

Great job for student.

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

Compared to other supermarkets, they pay pretty decent and you get time and a half on Sundays. Management were ok and you gain some qualifications alongside working such as Food health and safety NQ.

Cons

Management do not praise you individually and pretend they know more about your department than yourself. They are only interested in sales and profit margins.

Overall good.

Current Employee - Deli Supervisor in Hounslow, England
    Current Employee - Deli Supervisor in Hounslow, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A busy environment with good colleagues. There are plenty of chances to progress if you want to go from a shop assistant to a more senior position.

Cons

It can get very stressful at busy times of year, especially in December. The pay is only average for the sector.

I would trust the staff more, as they are at the sharp end of the business.

Newly appointed duty manager

Current Employee - Duty Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Duty Manager in London, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Staff discount - chances to progress, a good working enviroment at the right times

Cons

Store managers that bully the senior team into bullying the department managers into performing a job they don't have the hours to do.
    Wont offer newly appointed competitive pay compared to existing even when they started out.
    Find a fault mentality.

Look into store managers that use bully boy tactics, ones that will throw everyone under the bus to make sure that they are clean as a whistle.