Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Updated 1 March 2015
Updated 1 March 2015
2.7

Dalton Philips

Pros
  • The only positive I got out of working for Morrison's was the staff Discount (in 45 reviews)

• Most of the staff are friendly and helpful however, not all of them (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of staff was an issue whilst I was working there (in 10 reviews)

• expected to work unpaid after your 8 hour shift by senior management in instore , (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Really good

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

Great working community, good training

Cons

New reconstruction provides little room for career growth

More room for growth

Enjoyable experience, although don't feel I was pushed to increase skills.

Current Employee - M-Local Team Member in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - M-Local Team Member in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy job, regular training, work in team of 20 staff. Also given staff discount and raise money for local community charities.

Cons

Sometimes understaffed, or overstaffed when new stores bring trainees to store.

Great Time

Former Employee - Produce Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Produce Sales Assistant

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

great team effort, lovely working atmosphere, excellent lower level middle management and working hours are great, no real pressure, always home on time

Cons

no real strategy in place and a real need to take care of staff who work hard. If you are physically proactive you will not get promoted until well after you've already thought about moving on in your career. If you are disinterested but do what you need to do to get by chances are you will be promoted to manage the hard workers who are willing to 'graft' during their shift. Part time workers also suffer bad hours usually always evenings until 10 or 11pm.

Re-imagination of structure of the company and focus on targets. A new approach to the structure of the store employment tree as a whole, and implement regular random drug testing because it was clear during my time there that this was heavily needed due to the class of people employed.

Been working for Morrisons for one year and I am soon leaving the company.

Current Employee - M-Local Team Member in Preston, North West England, England
    Current Employee - M-Local Team Member in Preston, North West England, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Staff discount. Holidays are good. 30% of customers are friendly. I have a job is a positive. . . . . .

Cons

Did a promotion interview and was told it went well but 3 months later told that I'll need to take it again;useless rude area managers. staff discount too small. Not enough staff. Don't vary roles;Part timers on till all shift. Worked to the bone and boss says I'll have to leave my break today because store is busy. I work 9 hours 5 out of 7 days and my shift times are awful, i don't have a life. same people stealing and nothing is done about it.

i think managers should only get the job if they have had some previous supermarket experience because my manager complains to staff about code checking and other jobs and he's never done it himself, its a joke.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in York, England
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in York, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

Friendly staff and management
    Flexible Hours that can be swapped easily

Cons

Slightly unclean workplace
    Although management are friendly there still can be a big void between you and them ( No communication, only via supervisors and letters)

Get more involved with it's employees

Great people at head office. Challenging mgmt

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

Fantastic people
    Good atmosphere
    Reasonable work life balance

Cons

Feel as though owned by senior bosses.
    Some bullying culture still remains
    Poor management decisions, which whilst allegedly making sure ROI is achieved, ignore hidden costs and challenges from less senior staff to save face. This results in bad decisions which cost the company money.

Start to look at the real costs of projects!

Job has become more hassle

Current Employee - General Assistant
    Current Employee - General Assistant

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

Staff discount days are worthwhile for stocking up.
    My hours are part-time and suit my personal circumstances.
    Staff parking,although not allowed at Christmas busy trade time.
    Generous annual leave,but needs booking up well in advance.

Cons

part-timers tend to get overlooked,the occasional thanks wouldn`t go amiss.Feel invisible and undermined.
    I feel I have to do more in my part-time shift than a lot of full time staff drag out over a day,by the time they`ve had all their breaks.
    Am expected to go to checkouts when busy or to cover breaks,when I have my own job to do,on a deadline.Morrisons are obsessed with keeping queues down.
    Staff aren`t happy working there when they are not appreciated,and I can see skiving and incompetence on a massive level.
    Have observed some members of staff getting away with avoiding their share of tasks.Unbelievably a "colleague"(I use the term loosely!) refused to go on checkouts because they"didn`t engage with people well"(working in Retail?)All staff should be till-trained.Treat everybody equally.
    Too much unwanted food,left on checkouts.Seeing expensive meat and fish left to go off is souldestroying.

Get rid of or monitor persistent takers of sickness and absence,too many individuals leading a charmed life!
    Skivers wear down honest,conscientious staff who end up having to cover for them.
    Stop the Hot service post-it note gimmicks,too much brown-nosing amongst colleagues.I treat customers how i want to be treated,but never ever got a mention.

Quite Flexible company to work for

Current Employee - Team Member in Bournemouth, England
    Current Employee - Team Member in Bournemouth, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They are quite flexible as it is quite easy to swap shifts with other colleagues if you cannot make the time you were scheduled for. This makes things easy if you have other things that come up last minute or appointments to go to.

Cons

There is no extra pay in the MLocal stores for Sundays or bank holidays or night shifts unlike other supermarkets which may pay time and a half for working at such times.

Challenging and structured graduate programme

Former Employee - Graduate Trainee in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Graduate Trainee in Leeds, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

- Was a very challenging and wide range of experience across the manufacturing industries they are involved in

Cons

- Career progression is slow and being a large organisation pace of change is slower then expected

- Continue to push through change and adapt to the changing market conditions

Working Conditions

Current Employee - Cashier in Portsmouth, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Cashier in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

Its a wage better than nothing

Cons

Hard workers do not get recognised whilst regular absentees get more hours management do not care about the situations they put there staff in.

Open your eyes and see what's around you concentrate on your loyal staff for once.