Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Updated 21 October 2014
Updated 21 October 2014
2.7

Dalton Philips

Pros
  • The only positive I got out of working for Morrison's was the staff Discount (in 41 reviews)

• the beniffits are really good like the sick pay and the profit share (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of staff was an issue whilst I was working there (in 10 reviews)

• senior management appear to be working against the staff, showing no support (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

its always good to work with people who are great at what they do and like it

Current Employee - Department Manager in Croydon, England
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Croydon, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Chances to move up the ladder , good rate of pay and bosses who thank you for your hard work

Cons

It can sometimes hard to work in a place where you have to deal with the public but with the training you get you learn how to deal with them

trust your staff more to get it right and keep us in the loop on new things coming up

Has good and bad points, but for a student its a decent place to work

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Leicester, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff discount, very easy work, meet people like yourself and gain friends, possibilties of going further in the company if thats what you wanted, teaches you how to interact with customers and learn life skills.

Cons

Work hours are inflexible, holiday router is always full so you don't get the weeks you want, you do all the work while most management don't, even though you try your hardest to satisfy the customer if the manages don't order the correct amount of stock the customer will complain and makes your day a lot harder

The supervisors and dept managers all need to learn communication, work ethics in terms of getting the most out of there workers for example the managers in the store in work in the current managers don't do anything on the late shift i work, but recently we had a managers swap from another store. He changed the way i wanted to work, because he put the effort into working close with me and other colleagues

There is no I in team!!

Current Employee - Cashier in Glenrothes, Scotland
    Current Employee - Cashier in Glenrothes, Scotland

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I feel that I am appreciated in my job. I am well looked after by my management team. Any problems are sorted out straight away. I get bonuses in April and December, as well as a 10% discount on my shopping.

Cons

I would like to achieve personal growth and promotion. I feel that personal reviews are not frequent enough.

More opportunities for career advancement should be put in place. More training in different areas for each employee would make staff more flexible.

one big family

Former Employee - Checkout Supervisor in Loughborough, England
    Former Employee - Checkout Supervisor in Loughborough, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

working for morrisons was a massive part of my social life, i got on with everyone in the store, we would go out for monthly meals or go bowling, even go on nights out with the managers. there is always a way to progress you just have to show your potential.

Cons

to be honest morrisons doesn't have that many restrictions on what you can and cant do. the only issue i ever had was the understanding of some of the managers when ringing in sick was a bit unprofessional. you felt like you were lying and wasn't aloud a day of ill.

be more understanding with people, if a colleague is ringing in sick be understanding ask them how they are when they come back not just fill in the back to work paperwork.

Good memories

Former Employee - Pharmacy Counter Assistant in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Counter Assistant in Birmingham, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good as a Saturday job or weekends, full-time is okay too as hours are flexible. positive work ethics "can do" policy. get to interact with different types of people, always someone to talk too, also most managers are easy going, approachable, senior management is pretty human too! Each department manager gets a lot of autonomy to manage in their own style. Good staff canteen, cheaper and well-cooked food. Male and female changing rooms and lockers, lots of parking. Plenty of overtime, value long term staff wage rises with time. Staff discount. Can shop there after work- saves time. Customers can be funny you won't get bored. ..

Cons

flexible hours so depends on managers and supervisors but you could end up working till late or last minute shift swaps with colleagues, can be annoying but you can be firm if can't do it. also 12 hour shifts not unusual but can be good as get more days off if work longer days! Too much gossip and work politics at times as so many staff and regular Customers. Long days hard work just like any other job really.

Structure interviews better- informal would suit company better. Experiment with selection methods and develop consistency. Update induction process if not already done so -it's boring and pointless. Also need pharmacy induction material or mentor-led training as currently too much work for pharmacists to train counter assistants from scratch.

Not too bad

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Leeds, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, Decent morales But poorly implemented.

Cons

Poorly planned changes and restrictions on recruiting have lead to many staff taking sick due to stress.

Let us actually recruit staff for our shopfloor

Total lack of consistency from senior management in day to day running of a supermarket.

Current Employee - Night Assistant in Stamford, England
    Current Employee - Night Assistant in Stamford, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

10% Discount on shopping, Free Christmas party for children, Compassionate leave. Profit share. Bonus and holidays. Annual assessments. Regular 'Pulse Survey' gauging the general attitude of the staff towards the management and the company.

Cons

Promotions never appear thought through resulting in several positions being changed many times, e.g. Night management has changed seven times in just two years. Little or no training given, just a rush to sign the training card. No recruitment policy until management restructure completed is ludicrous, this process is not due to be completed until the end of 2015. Communication of policy changes and plans for the store is haphazard at best and ALWAYS late

Communicate, communicate, communicate. Stop worrying about secrets and let the shop floor know what is going on. Many solutions to implementing new procedures could be reached with regular meetings with staff at the 'customer face'. Make the weekly management meetings proper discussions not just a lecture from the SGM or SPM. Ensure any queries are dealt with swiftly and efficiently before the become big issues.

Good Company, Terrible Management

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Part time colleagues were good to work with - Good mix of young & old employees

As a student at university they allowed me to transfer to my local store during holiday periods

Cons

Slow to pick up on new technologies, bad management approach with little opportunity to progress

Customer Service offering does not come close to other supermarkets

Employee benefits should be better - Comparable with other supermarkets

Opportunities for young people to progress

Fair employers

Former Employee - Deli Assistant in Rotherham, England
    Former Employee - Deli Assistant in Rotherham, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a great sense of camaraderie instilled among the workers. This, to me, is the most crucial element to ensure smooth operation. Training is given to a high standard so everybody knows both how to efficiently do their job and how it fits into the bigger picture.

Cons

The higher-ups - i.e. the store's general managers - often come across as unapproachable and quite intimidating. Without a department supervisor to act as a mediator, it can be difficult for a department assistant to communicate with them. There are exceptions, obviously, and I understand that this is necessary to a degree in a managerial role, but it sits at odds with the rest of the work environment.

Try to see yourself as one of the team instead of somebody looking down from above. It would make for a much more efficient, constructive environment.

senior manager

Current Employee - Deputy General Manager in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Deputy General Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hard place to get on although my role primarily is the engagement of department heads and encouraging good performance. Surrounded by excellent people who have a very hard job.

Cons

Not enough money spent on wages. We are just getting by but the customer is the real focus and we are not doing enough to make them happy.

Can we focus on the £3000 perweek waste on our fresh depts and get more money into payroll