Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Updated 27 September 2014
Updated 27 September 2014
2.6

Dalton Philips

Pros
  • The only positive I got out of working for Morrison's was the staff Discount (in 37 reviews)

• Most of the staff are friendly and helpful however, not all of them (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of staff was an issue whilst I was working there (in 9 reviews)

• senior management appear to be working against the staff, showing no support (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Good memories

Former Employee - Pharmacy Counter Assistant  in  Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Counter Assistant in Birmingham, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good as a Saturday job or weekends, full-time is okay too as hours are flexible. positive work ethics "can do" policy. get to interact with different types of people, always someone to talk too, also most managers are easy going, approachable, senior management is pretty human too! Each department manager gets a lot of autonomy to manage in their own style. Good staff canteen, cheaper and well-cooked food. Male and female changing rooms and lockers, lots of parking. Plenty of overtime, value long term staff wage rises with time. Staff discount. Can shop there after work- saves time. Customers can be funny you won't get bored. ..

Cons

flexible hours so depends on managers and supervisors but you could end up working till late or last minute shift swaps with colleagues, can be annoying but you can be firm if can't do it. also 12 hour shifts not unusual but can be good as get more days off if work longer days! Too much gossip and work politics at times as so many staff and regular Customers. Long days hard work just like any other job really.

Structure interviews better- informal would suit company better. Experiment with selection methods and develop consistency. Update induction process if not already done so -it's boring and pointless. Also need pharmacy induction material or mentor-led training as currently too much work for pharmacists to train counter assistants from scratch.

Fair employers

Former Employee - Deli Assistant  in  Rotherham, England
    Former Employee - Deli Assistant in Rotherham, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a great sense of camaraderie instilled among the workers. This, to me, is the most crucial element to ensure smooth operation. Training is given to a high standard so everybody knows both how to efficiently do their job and how it fits into the bigger picture.

Cons

The higher-ups - i.e. the store's general managers - often come across as unapproachable and quite intimidating. Without a department supervisor to act as a mediator, it can be difficult for a department assistant to communicate with them. There are exceptions, obviously, and I understand that this is necessary to a degree in a managerial role, but it sits at odds with the rest of the work environment.

Try to see yourself as one of the team instead of somebody looking down from above. It would make for a much more efficient, constructive environment.

Not too bad

Current Employee - Department Supervisor  in  Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Leeds, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, Decent morales But poorly implemented.

Cons

Poorly planned changes and restrictions on recruiting have lead to many staff taking sick due to stress.

Let us actually recruit staff for our shopfloor

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

senior manager

Current Employee - Deputy General Manager  in  Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Deputy General Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Hard place to get on although my role primarily is the engagement of department heads and encouraging good performance. Surrounded by excellent people who have a very hard job.

Cons

Not enough money spent on wages. We are just getting by but the customer is the real focus and we are not doing enough to make them happy.

Can we focus on the £3000 perweek waste on our fresh depts and get more money into payroll

Not a bad job but recently has been getting annoying having to do jobs for other departments due to lack of staff

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Sidcup, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sidcup, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really good people especially in my store, they have a laugh and will usually help you wherever they can.
    Good break system but long hours usually to get the breaks.
    Discount and discount extra days are well worth it.
    Good setup for holidays.

Cons

Very little in the way of promotions that can occur especially with the management shift around.
    To few staff across the store meaning shelves are sometimes empty and customers get annoyed.
    Lack of forward thinking on the level of area and company management: they micromanage the stores and this creates many issues within the stores.
    More emphasis on filling the checkouts than filling the shelves.

Employ more staff in stores and save money by having what customers want on the shelves at all times, if people need to cue then that is what they will have to do.
    Higher management needs to let the stores run as they see fit, every one is different so the managers should know their stores and how best to make them work properly, e.g. employ the right number of staff instead of being given a wage bracket to adhere to.
    Refit stores especially just the checkouts or other visible systems and parts of the store which customers can see all of the time. It need to look right as much as possible.

3 years shelf stacking

Current Employee - FFPP Assistance  in  Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - FFPP Assistance in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, reasonable breaks. Holiday policy is good

Cons

Management becoming detached from the assistants that make the business run. "too many chiefs not enough indians"

Actually work with the staff, realise there job is worthwhile and don't give jobs that demean the assistants. Eg taking something where you're already going.

A roller coaster working environment with too many chiefs confusing the Indians

Current Employee - Butcher  in  Goole, England
    Current Employee - Butcher in Goole, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time for more than a year

Pros

Customer service is paramount, which is a good thing as long as you also remember...staff are human and customers too!

Cons

Putting up with the "grace bros" way of working is challenging...far too much emphasis on having things " just so" and not enough taking into consideration whether getting things " just so" is do-able or even necessary. Shop floor staff always feel like 'big brother' is watching them waiting for the smallest slip up.

Get your fingers out, throw away the manual and get back to real customer service. Shop floor staff know what they're doing. Customers do not want pre packed this that and the other. Our customer base is there because we are known for providing good quality FRESH food...asda tesco etc, are the pre packed kings, leave them to it and give customers the fresh produce they want and bin the ideas of pre packing everything!

Work is OK, the Managers are the real issue in the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Aberdeen, Scotland
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts, Good Union, Good colleagues.
    Company values are good.
    Opportunities to go up in the pay scale.
    Training is excellent.
    Flexible.
    Friendly environment (sans Manager)

Cons

Management is not the best. It seems like they have way too much pressure from HQ to perform their task with some sort of logic and sometimes they will tell you to do one thing and 10 minutes late, other. Sometimes manager's decisions put in jeopardy colleague's integrity, worker's rights or health and safety (both for colleagues and clients).
    The new changes implemented by Dalton Philips are in spirit good, but the implementations in the stores is poor (Pizza bar, new lines of products, promotions, etc.).
    Work is performed in the least efficient way possible so it meets the company standard procedures, which are sometimes also part of the problem. As a consequence of this, they use a audit system from the 80s, with black screens and HHTs that run a version Windows Mobile that is 4 generations old, making them crash constantly, or breaking down, having to wait to do Audits for hours and hours, sometimes jeopardizing efficiency in the next day delivery, wasting the company millions per year.
    The implementation of the tablets was poor and more a gimmick than an actual practical scenario. The UI of those tablets is just as slow as writing it down in a paper, having to carry specially adapted Toshiba tablets (fragile by nature) around the store to produce work that could be done in a much cheaper way and with a much better IT solution. It seemed like it was a move to impress customers more than to help us.
    The stores are greatly understaffed, sometimes having just one person in one department or having to call people from their days off to come in a give a hand.

Get your act together. Listen to your colleagues. They do all the work and most of the times and they have experience in the day to day customer interaction. It feels like management is detached from the real issues, more worried about the results facing HQ or Area managers than what the customers what or need and what the situation with some of the colleagues is.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Grocery Assistant  in  Wakefield, England
    Former Employee - Grocery Assistant in Wakefield, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a job while I was a student

Cons

Always pestering you to work all the time

You can do much better

Pressures will always be there in retail, but I am contented with my job.

Current Employee - Shopfloor Systems Clerk ++ (and More)
    Current Employee - Shopfloor Systems Clerk ++ (and More)

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Always a pleasure to speak to and serve the customers, always try to leave them with a smile on their face. Which leaves me with a sense of achievement. The job I do is pretty much on its own but love to interact with other colleagues and management if I feel I need to. Don't always get the response hoping for but at least its been said. Always worked in retail so have seen from other sides too, try to stay positive and understand the 'moving forward' in the business.

Cons

There will always be challenges within any job and business that has to move forward and improve. I try to accept whatever comes along and with new beginnings, it doesn't always seem to be right at first.
    There are things that have been brought in that haven't worked as well as the company probably would have expected and this can be frustrating as it can be seen the money could have been better spent.
    Ive never had an issue with work-life balance as i experienced long hard hours in a previous position, my hours I work suit me well. Likewise I've never had any issues with time-off for whatever reason. Although it would be nicer to organise holidays earlier. (Nov this year I will be discussing holiday for next year at home!).

Little bit of advice I would have for management is know your people, take time out (of your pressured day) to praise and thank for a job well done. Recognition and gratitude goes a very long way.
    Perhaps don't have the attitude youre better than anyone else .... there is no 'i' in team. We all play apart in the success of the business.

Worked for Wm Morrison Supermarkets? Contribute to the Community!