Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Updated 30 October 2014
Updated 30 October 2014
2.6

Dalton Philips

Pros
  • The only positive I got out of working for Morrison's was the staff Discount (in 42 reviews)

• the beniffits are really good like the sick pay and the profit share (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of staff was an issue whilst I was working there (in 10 reviews)

• Low staff moral, no confidentially or trust in senior members of staff (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good pay package for a part timer studying at university!

Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and a half Sunday, friendly co-workers on the same level, reasonable holiday, reasonably flexible, staff discount

Cons

Managers and workers higher up the chain just take you as another number, managers sometimes unfair and very critical although I understand they are under pressure, customers can be nuisance, managers don't follow company values or rules but the same can't apply to workers.

Be more fair and justified, don't just think of employees as another number, stick to rules or don't use them at all.

Enjoyable, but like any jobs can have it's moments.

Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Portsmouth, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Started at a new store before it opened and the staff instantly had a family vibe and worked hard together really well.
    Room to grow within the store, once you're their long enough if you express an interest in something else eg another department or more training eg self scan or kiosk for checkout people, you normally are listened too.
    10% staff discount
    Nice Canteen/Staff areas
    When new store at current morrisons opened every staff was given a one on one interview to establish what they wanted from the new store (more hours, change department etc)

Cons

Staff are treated like they don't have lives outside of work (at times) and expected to pick up shifts to meet the companys needs throughout the year.
    Holiday is limited to certain times of the year and is on a first come first served basis. Staffing normally poor on holiday days.
    Training is now all digital and hard to train lots of people at once, causing disruptions throughout the store every time a challenge 25 needs to be retrained.
    Certain members of staff do not carry their weight nor care about the company and it reflects on the store. (This is subjective to each store though)
    10% discount taken away from spirits due to government legislation, nothing replaced it.
    15 minute break for a four hour shift, fine but by the time you've gotten back to your locker from the store you are normally 5 minutes into your break.

Morrisons needs to go back to basics. We are a superior supermarket and that's what we need to install in customers old and new.
    The Match and More cards are a step in the right direction, but more loyalty schemes need to be put in place. Customers want to be treated. Show them we care more than the other leading stores.
    Saver Stamps are useful for customers but tedious and outdated for staff - consider a different method. Perhaps a top up card scheme and ability to add money online, or codes on receipt to add to an account?

its always good to work with people who are great at what they do and like it

Current Employee - Department Manager in Croydon, England
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Croydon, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Chances to move up the ladder , good rate of pay and bosses who thank you for your hard work

Cons

It can sometimes hard to work in a place where you have to deal with the public but with the training you get you learn how to deal with them

trust your staff more to get it right and keep us in the loop on new things coming up

Has good and bad points, but for a student its a decent place to work

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Leicester, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Leicester, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff discount, very easy work, meet people like yourself and gain friends, possibilties of going further in the company if thats what you wanted, teaches you how to interact with customers and learn life skills.

Cons

Work hours are inflexible, holiday router is always full so you don't get the weeks you want, you do all the work while most management don't, even though you try your hardest to satisfy the customer if the manages don't order the correct amount of stock the customer will complain and makes your day a lot harder

The supervisors and dept managers all need to learn communication, work ethics in terms of getting the most out of there workers for example the managers in the store in work in the current managers don't do anything on the late shift i work, but recently we had a managers swap from another store. He changed the way i wanted to work, because he put the effort into working close with me and other colleagues

one big family

Former Employee - Checkout Supervisor in Loughborough, England
    Former Employee - Checkout Supervisor in Loughborough, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

working for morrisons was a massive part of my social life, i got on with everyone in the store, we would go out for monthly meals or go bowling, even go on nights out with the managers. there is always a way to progress you just have to show your potential.

Cons

to be honest morrisons doesn't have that many restrictions on what you can and cant do. the only issue i ever had was the understanding of some of the managers when ringing in sick was a bit unprofessional. you felt like you were lying and wasn't aloud a day of ill.

be more understanding with people, if a colleague is ringing in sick be understanding ask them how they are when they come back not just fill in the back to work paperwork.

Total lack of consistency from senior management in day to day running of a supermarket.

Current Employee - Night Assistant in Stamford, England
    Current Employee - Night Assistant in Stamford, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

10% Discount on shopping, Free Christmas party for children, Compassionate leave. Profit share. Bonus and holidays. Annual assessments. Regular 'Pulse Survey' gauging the general attitude of the staff towards the management and the company.

Cons

Promotions never appear thought through resulting in several positions being changed many times, e.g. Night management has changed seven times in just two years. Little or no training given, just a rush to sign the training card. No recruitment policy until management restructure completed is ludicrous, this process is not due to be completed until the end of 2015. Communication of policy changes and plans for the store is haphazard at best and ALWAYS late

Communicate, communicate, communicate. Stop worrying about secrets and let the shop floor know what is going on. Many solutions to implementing new procedures could be reached with regular meetings with staff at the 'customer face'. Make the weekly management meetings proper discussions not just a lecture from the SGM or SPM. Ensure any queries are dealt with swiftly and efficiently before the become big issues.

Good Company, Terrible Management

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Part time colleagues were good to work with - Good mix of young & old employees

As a student at university they allowed me to transfer to my local store during holiday periods

Cons

Slow to pick up on new technologies, bad management approach with little opportunity to progress

Customer Service offering does not come close to other supermarkets

Employee benefits should be better - Comparable with other supermarkets

Opportunities for young people to progress

There is no I in team!!

Current Employee - Cashier in Glenrothes, Scotland
    Current Employee - Cashier in Glenrothes, Scotland

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I feel that I am appreciated in my job. I am well looked after by my management team. Any problems are sorted out straight away. I get bonuses in April and December, as well as a 10% discount on my shopping.

Cons

I would like to achieve personal growth and promotion. I feel that personal reviews are not frequent enough.

More opportunities for career advancement should be put in place. More training in different areas for each employee would make staff more flexible.

Good memories

Former Employee - Pharmacy Counter Assistant in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Counter Assistant in Birmingham, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good as a Saturday job or weekends, full-time is okay too as hours are flexible. positive work ethics "can do" policy. get to interact with different types of people, always someone to talk too, also most managers are easy going, approachable, senior management is pretty human too! Each department manager gets a lot of autonomy to manage in their own style. Good staff canteen, cheaper and well-cooked food. Male and female changing rooms and lockers, lots of parking. Plenty of overtime, value long term staff wage rises with time. Staff discount. Can shop there after work- saves time. Customers can be funny you won't get bored. ..

Cons

flexible hours so depends on managers and supervisors but you could end up working till late or last minute shift swaps with colleagues, can be annoying but you can be firm if can't do it. also 12 hour shifts not unusual but can be good as get more days off if work longer days! Too much gossip and work politics at times as so many staff and regular Customers. Long days hard work just like any other job really.

Structure interviews better- informal would suit company better. Experiment with selection methods and develop consistency. Update induction process if not already done so -it's boring and pointless. Also need pharmacy induction material or mentor-led training as currently too much work for pharmacists to train counter assistants from scratch.

Fair employers

Former Employee - Deli Assistant in Rotherham, England
    Former Employee - Deli Assistant in Rotherham, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a great sense of camaraderie instilled among the workers. This, to me, is the most crucial element to ensure smooth operation. Training is given to a high standard so everybody knows both how to efficiently do their job and how it fits into the bigger picture.

Cons

The higher-ups - i.e. the store's general managers - often come across as unapproachable and quite intimidating. Without a department supervisor to act as a mediator, it can be difficult for a department assistant to communicate with them. There are exceptions, obviously, and I understand that this is necessary to a degree in a managerial role, but it sits at odds with the rest of the work environment.

Try to see yourself as one of the team instead of somebody looking down from above. It would make for a much more efficient, constructive environment.