Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Updated 26 November 2014
Updated 26 November 2014
2.7

Dalton Philips

Pros
  • The only positive I got out of working for Morrison's was the staff Discount (in 45 reviews)

• Most of the staff are friendly and helpful however, not all of them (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of staff was an issue whilst I was working there (in 10 reviews)

• expected to work unpaid after your 8 hour shift by senior management in instore , (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Two years at Morrisons, highs and lows!

Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Eastbourne, England
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Eastbourne, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of amazing things that come along for working with Morrisons, for example the people; I've met so many great friends just through working at Morrisons and I wouldn't change it for anything! Also the management really DO care about you.

Cons

I find that sometime's it can be stressful and supervisors bring their stress into work and it rubs off on the staff, being positive makes a massive effect on the people around you, so be positive.

People are old enough to know when they're ill, when I ring up sick, it's because I am sick and I don't like to be spoken down to or felt forced to come in. If I'm ill the last thing I need is to feel guilty. People feel bad enough calling in sick as it is and if there are people that do take the biscuit, they end up with meetings ect. So stop the nasty comments.

Morrison local

Current Employee - Duty Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Duty Manager in London, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay was good when getting all benefits but the company decides to cut all benefits.
    Your able to look over all employees as it's a local morrisons.
    Good working conditions.

Cons

Very short staffed
    Pay is low
    Work is very hard at times
    When employees call in sick all the time it doubles workload
    Most staff employed are not able to carry out jobs to meet needs of business
    Management staff who leave are not replaced when need be.
    Pay not based on revenue store generates.

Increase staffing hours per store to get more staff.
    Improve ways to discipline staff.
    Get all staffed trained for all departments within Mlocal.

dunno

Current Employee - Fork Lift Driver in Boston, England
    Current Employee - Fork Lift Driver in Boston, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

its the best money in the area

Cons

only job in the area and I have to travel 60 miles a day

Hard-work but good enough.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Aberystwyth, Wales
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Aberystwyth, Wales

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extra-pay on Sundays is absolutely brilliant, especially because not many companies still do it. Flexibility is also quite nice as I am a full time student at the same time. It is not exactly hard to learn.

Cons

It can be very stressful, especially during busy periods. It is hard work and sometimes it also gets boring (Routine).

More staff is needed, especially for checkouts, as I work in a different department, which ends up jeopardised because I am called for check outs all the time.

ok

Former Employee - BOD in Teignmouth, England
    Former Employee - BOD in Teignmouth, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

some staff really friendly, staff discount,

Cons

not able to progress unless your under 25 and your face fits regardless of whether can do job or not , also able to walk out and come back and get promoted.

talk to staff not just the young ones whos face you like

Great and helpful people, nice atmosphere

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Northampton, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Northampton, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

10% discount on shopping,
    nice work colleagues,
    nice atmosphere

Cons

you have to take your 1h lunch break, the management doesn't allow you to drop it, even if you want to

it would help a lot if they were more understanding and helpful

Long, eventful, tiring,

Current Employee - Fishmonger in Portsmouth, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Fishmonger in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good hours that suit my lifestyle.
    A new store manager so a bright and challenging future
    lots of friends made at work

Cons

hard work with sometimes little praise

look after your staff they are what makes Wm Morrisons

Good pay package for a part timer studying at university!

Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and a half Sunday, friendly co-workers on the same level, reasonable holiday, reasonably flexible, staff discount

Cons

Managers and workers higher up the chain just take you as another number, managers sometimes unfair and very critical although I understand they are under pressure, customers can be nuisance, managers don't follow company values or rules but the same can't apply to workers.

Be more fair and justified, don't just think of employees as another number, stick to rules or don't use them at all.

Same old supermarket retail work

Current Employee - M-Local Team Member in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - M-Local Team Member in Manchester, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Enjoyable work. Lots of overtime when busy.

Cons

Pay below the living wage. Underemploy (offer mostly part-time hours) and never review your contract hours. Unethical business. Little say in when your shifts are and when your breaks are. Little notice of your shifts (2 or 3 weeks max, sometimes less than one week). Top down business model. Negative impact on the local community as helps to kill off local independent shops. No different to other supermarket chains.

Pay the living wage and offer more full time contracts for those who want it. Empower workers to make more decisions. Offer people set contracted shifts.

Enjoyable, but like any jobs can have it's moments.

Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Portsmouth, South East England, England
    Current Employee - Checkout Operator in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Started at a new store before it opened and the staff instantly had a family vibe and worked hard together really well.
    Room to grow within the store, once you're their long enough if you express an interest in something else eg another department or more training eg self scan or kiosk for checkout people, you normally are listened too.
    10% staff discount
    Nice Canteen/Staff areas
    When new store at current morrisons opened every staff was given a one on one interview to establish what they wanted from the new store (more hours, change department etc)

Cons

Staff are treated like they don't have lives outside of work (at times) and expected to pick up shifts to meet the companys needs throughout the year.
    Holiday is limited to certain times of the year and is on a first come first served basis. Staffing normally poor on holiday days.
    Training is now all digital and hard to train lots of people at once, causing disruptions throughout the store every time a challenge 25 needs to be retrained.
    Certain members of staff do not carry their weight nor care about the company and it reflects on the store. (This is subjective to each store though)
    10% discount taken away from spirits due to government legislation, nothing replaced it.
    15 minute break for a four hour shift, fine but by the time you've gotten back to your locker from the store you are normally 5 minutes into your break.

Morrisons needs to go back to basics. We are a superior supermarket and that's what we need to install in customers old and new.
    The Match and More cards are a step in the right direction, but more loyalty schemes need to be put in place. Customers want to be treated. Show them we care more than the other leading stores.
    Saver Stamps are useful for customers but tedious and outdated for staff - consider a different method. Perhaps a top up card scheme and ability to add money online, or codes on receipt to add to an account?