Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Updated 16 September 2014
Updated 16 September 2014
2.6

Dalton Philips

Pros
  • The only positive I got out of working for Morrison's was the staff Discount (in 29 reviews)

• Most of the staff are friendly and helpful however, not all of them (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low staff moral, no confidentially or trust in senior members of staff (in 11 reviews)

• Lack of staff was an issue whilst I was working there (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad job but recently has been getting annoying having to do jobs for other departments due to lack of staff

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Sidcup, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sidcup, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really good people especially in my store, they have a laugh and will usually help you wherever they can.
    Good break system but long hours usually to get the breaks.
    Discount and discount extra days are well worth it.
    Good setup for holidays.

Cons

Very little in the way of promotions that can occur especially with the management shift around.
    To few staff across the store meaning shelves are sometimes empty and customers get annoyed.
    Lack of forward thinking on the level of area and company management: they micromanage the stores and this creates many issues within the stores.
    More emphasis on filling the checkouts than filling the shelves.

Employ more staff in stores and save money by having what customers want on the shelves at all times, if people need to cue then that is what they will have to do.
    Higher management needs to let the stores run as they see fit, every one is different so the managers should know their stores and how best to make them work properly, e.g. employ the right number of staff instead of being given a wage bracket to adhere to.
    Refit stores especially just the checkouts or other visible systems and parts of the store which customers can see all of the time. It need to look right as much as possible.

3 years shelf stacking

Current Employee - FFPP Assistance  in  Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - FFPP Assistance in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, reasonable breaks. Holiday policy is good

Cons

Management becoming detached from the assistants that make the business run. "too many chiefs not enough indians"

Actually work with the staff, realise there job is worthwhile and don't give jobs that demean the assistants. Eg taking something where you're already going.

senior manager

Current Employee - Deputy General Manager  in  Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Deputy General Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Hard place to get on although my role primarily is the engagement of department heads and encouraging good performance. Surrounded by excellent people who have a very hard job.

Cons

Not enough money spent on wages. We are just getting by but the customer is the real focus and we are not doing enough to make them happy.

Can we focus on the £3000 perweek waste on our fresh depts and get more money into payroll

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A roller coaster working environment with too many chiefs confusing the Indians

Current Employee - Butcher  in  Goole, England
    Current Employee - Butcher in Goole, England

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time for more than a year

Pros

Customer service is paramount, which is a good thing as long as you also remember...staff are human and customers too!

Cons

Putting up with the "grace bros" way of working is challenging...far too much emphasis on having things " just so" and not enough taking into consideration whether getting things " just so" is do-able or even necessary. Shop floor staff always feel like 'big brother' is watching them waiting for the smallest slip up.

Get your fingers out, throw away the manual and get back to real customer service. Shop floor staff know what they're doing. Customers do not want pre packed this that and the other. Our customer base is there because we are known for providing good quality FRESH food...asda tesco etc, are the pre packed kings, leave them to it and give customers the fresh produce they want and bin the ideas of pre packing everything!

Work is OK, the Managers are the real issue in the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Aberdeen, Scotland
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts, Good Union, Good colleagues.
    Company values are good.
    Opportunities to go up in the pay scale.
    Training is excellent.
    Flexible.
    Friendly environment (sans Manager)

Cons

Management is not the best. It seems like they have way too much pressure from HQ to perform their task with some sort of logic and sometimes they will tell you to do one thing and 10 minutes late, other. Sometimes manager's decisions put in jeopardy colleague's integrity, worker's rights or health and safety (both for colleagues and clients).
    The new changes implemented by Dalton Philips are in spirit good, but the implementations in the stores is poor (Pizza bar, new lines of products, promotions, etc.).
    Work is performed in the least efficient way possible so it meets the company standard procedures, which are sometimes also part of the problem. As a consequence of this, they use a audit system from the 80s, with black screens and HHTs that run a version Windows Mobile that is 4 generations old, making them crash constantly, or breaking down, having to wait to do Audits for hours and hours, sometimes jeopardizing efficiency in the next day delivery, wasting the company millions per year.
    The implementation of the tablets was poor and more a gimmick than an actual practical scenario. The UI of those tablets is just as slow as writing it down in a paper, having to carry specially adapted Toshiba tablets (fragile by nature) around the store to produce work that could be done in a much cheaper way and with a much better IT solution. It seemed like it was a move to impress customers more than to help us.
    The stores are greatly understaffed, sometimes having just one person in one department or having to call people from their days off to come in a give a hand.

Get your act together. Listen to your colleagues. They do all the work and most of the times and they have experience in the day to day customer interaction. It feels like management is detached from the real issues, more worried about the results facing HQ or Area managers than what the customers what or need and what the situation with some of the colleagues is.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Grocery Assistant  in  Wakefield, England
    Former Employee - Grocery Assistant in Wakefield, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a job while I was a student

Cons

Always pestering you to work all the time

You can do much better

Too much expectation without proper resources

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Cardiff, Wales
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time for more than a year

Pros

staff discount

lucky that I am only part time i guess.

Cons

Where do i begin?

Constant motion of cutting hours and staff and increasing roles and responsibilities - completely unattainable in every way.
    Checkouts- sending people to go on checkouts as a relief for 15 minutes (so they say), you end up being an hour or two each shift with no one to cover your department. Even when the customers have died down and the need for relief is no more, numerous occasions i have been kept on a till while an actual checkout assistant has been let go off the tills.

Scanning systems and checkouts. - They are useless to scan these items and they take forever. The tills do not like scanning reduced items which makes you enter the bar code which is extremely long and tedious.

Part-time invisibility- I work park time and I like to say that i work hard yet I am treated with little respect. I have even stayed on unpaid before to get nothing in return.

People in authority - NO respect, no communication, they treat you like utter garbage.

Pay - I have constantly been paid wrong and told it is my fault , however how hard is it to swipe in and out?

NO overtime - rarely given overtime despite being so understaffed, makes no sense.

I used to disregard peoples comments when they said the company is going downhill as I believed it was decent to work in. However i now see what they meant.

Customers are rude, goes with anything though.

Poorly trained, barely any training offered and job opportunities look distant in the nicest way of putting it.

Admin side like certificates for completing training and qualifications are poor. Was promised an NVQ a year ago yet no evidence or my certificate.

Atmosphere of store - Awful, everyone wants to leave their job and unfortunately i can understand why. If i was there full time, i would not be there for long.
    Part-time work is okay as i am not there much but still unpleasant. Full time must be a nightmare.

Everybody is so negative there.
    The moral is simple, if you want a company to thrive, you need to offer the resources and staff. If you want to have a happy store, you have to meet the needs of the staff and customers.
    Being polite goes along away as well as gratitude.

Be nicer and more appreciative, i understand you are busy and stressed but you do not have to treat everyone like garbage.
    Be willing to offer more hours so the jobs can be done instead of having impossible expectations.

Communicate!

Step in for other people or departments when needed, we are suppose to be 'one team'.

Pressures will always be there in retail, but I am contented with my job.

Current Employee - Shopfloor Systems Clerk ++ (and More)
    Current Employee - Shopfloor Systems Clerk ++ (and More)

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Always a pleasure to speak to and serve the customers, always try to leave them with a smile on their face. Which leaves me with a sense of achievement. The job I do is pretty much on its own but love to interact with other colleagues and management if I feel I need to. Don't always get the response hoping for but at least its been said. Always worked in retail so have seen from other sides too, try to stay positive and understand the 'moving forward' in the business.

Cons

There will always be challenges within any job and business that has to move forward and improve. I try to accept whatever comes along and with new beginnings, it doesn't always seem to be right at first.
    There are things that have been brought in that haven't worked as well as the company probably would have expected and this can be frustrating as it can be seen the money could have been better spent.
    Ive never had an issue with work-life balance as i experienced long hard hours in a previous position, my hours I work suit me well. Likewise I've never had any issues with time-off for whatever reason. Although it would be nicer to organise holidays earlier. (Nov this year I will be discussing holiday for next year at home!).

Little bit of advice I would have for management is know your people, take time out (of your pressured day) to praise and thank for a job well done. Recognition and gratitude goes a very long way.
    Perhaps don't have the attitude youre better than anyone else .... there is no 'i' in team. We all play apart in the success of the business.

Overworked. Under appreciated

I have been working at Wm Morrison Supermarkets

Pros

Staff discount. Perks with money off certain companies. Bonus.

Cons

Short staffed. To many staff being used as relief checkout operators. Department managers having to stay on late come in early and skip breaks to achieve work load.... very little support from seniors. Head office are swamping admin staff with new systems which do not work.... brand refresh. ... huge amount of extra price changes all planned at short notice for the same night..... then given 4 weeks to re ticket the complete store..... given extra help who ends up to checkouts their complete shift...... its a worry. .. staff can not keep up working over 50 hours a week... no consideration to home life and people are beginning to buckle under the pressure....... people are being paid of over coming months and yet morrisons are spending money on upgrades with so many issues and frankly do not work. .....

Senior team need to support department managers... we are left with too big a burden... The buck stops with them but we somehow are left carrying the responsibility. ..... its take take take and home life suffers.......

Part-time = Non existant

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Lincoln, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Lincoln, England

I worked at Wm Morrison Supermarkets part-time for more than a year

Pros

The customers were mostly lovely, as I was lovely to them. I did enjoy talking to them and delivering great customer service. The store manager was good, he was the only one that gave praise, others thought he was harsh but that is because they were lazy!

Cons

I worked harder and faster than anyone on my department, despite being part time. I believe this to be because people were allowed to not work very hard. I worked very hard and never got any praise, whereas if someone who turned up late every day came in on time one day out of the week they got praise. What is the point of trying?! Also certain shop floor managers would literally ignore me. I would ask him a question and if someone else was there he would respond to them, and if we were alone he just would look at me and walk away. Other people noticed he did this to many females in the store.

Acknowledge that the consensus with the staff is that they can get away with doing minimum work. Management need to be stricter with their staff, and if they are not performing up to standard, make them, or take further action. This will then result in people having to work harder, so when new staff arrive they see they need to work hard, and not just 'dally' around.

Worked for Wm Morrison Supermarkets? Contribute to the Community!