Wood Group PSN

Wood Group PSN CEO Bob Keiller

Bob Keiller

Exciting and rewarding

Construction Engineer (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland

ProsThe people are all very helpful and the opportunities to better yourself and progress through the company.

ConsNone really, I enjoy my job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

T&Cs so bad they can't hire anyone.

Instrument Technician (Former Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland

ProsNot much. They are a big company so potential for development and career development I suppose. Good support for training. Good safety culture.
    Look after their people but only provided you are lucky and have the right line management. If you don't you are just a number.

ConsStill have the 'body shop' mentality. Some of the worst T&Cs in the North Sea means they cannot hire anyone, not instrument technicians anyway, so they have many vacant positions. This means the workload has to be done by an understaffed and hence overworked crew who therefore have further incentive to leave. It's a downward spiral and it is so bad that it is a serious safety concern. I only worked for them because I was TUPE'd across in a take over. I, like most of the rest of the very good team we had prior to the take over, now have a job else where.

While there are many very good people at Wood Group it is a shame that their efforts are undermined by others who are so utterly useless the only explanation for them having a job is because of who they know.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your T&Cs package from the bottom of the industry to at least somewhere in the top 25% and you'll be able to hire quality staff no problem. Then you'll have well skilled, happy crews who will get the work done that allows you to meet your contract obligations and your KPIs.
    End the blatant cronyism culture and clear out the dead wood.

Shower of incompetent short sighted idiots

Engineer (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland

ProsDepends on whether or not you have any talent. If you have no talent and are incompetent then you can go far within the management structure as incompetence is rewarded.

ConsSenior management are completely out of touch. Woodgroup was built off the backs of hard working contractors who have been singled out for running down the industry, yet are the most productive contributors to the company's success.
    PSN won a lot of contracts through hard work and reputation was built over a long time. Woodgroup have trampled over PSN good practice and steam rollered their mark on the company - there is no PSN any more. Nobody within the company takes responsibility for their actions and procedures are constantly being meddled with, which ultimately causes losses for the client. The organisation is painfully top heavy, with rewards going to those that produce the least.
    Recent rate reductions combined with forced removal of independent agencies and rumours of further rate cuts will ultimately wreak havoc in the market and cause long term damage to the industry as well as the negative knock on effects to the local economy.
    The CEO is a lunatic and completely out of touch with reality and his own importance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the yes men, question and challenge idiocy at all levels. Remove unnecessary overhead costs. Retire Bob Keiler and Dave Stewart out of harms way. Show more attention to important details, not poorly generated plans that have no basis in reality. Stop lying to the clients and blaming everyone around you when reality makes an entrance to the fiction. Initiate a central repository of the most up to date procedures. Stop playing with the company logo. Stop pretending that you follow the company core values when you break them at every given opportunity. Less hypocrisy, more innovation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Salary, office culture, company values, benefits, management support

ConsHR issues, promotions, work-life balance……...

Work itself is okay, but there's little DIRECT communication from parent company on project

PMO Engineer (Current Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland

ProsThere is a good benefits scheme and job oppotunities worlwide

ConsThough there are training oppotunities, there is nothing the company des to identify skills gaps. It does little to identify job satisfaction, with there being no contact with management

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your HR dept management to adress the above.

Good company but limited loyalty

Operations Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsBefore the acquisition of PSN, very good company, good loyalty and a great team. Very supportive management with an engaging style and very people focussed.

ConsAfter the acquisition of PSN, if your face did not fit you were gone. The whole business was centred around a few individuals and they had their own agenda.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun the business to your Core Values......or don't publish them. People are not Central in the company values, more on the outer edges.

The woodgroupPSN is good place to work.

Lead Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland

ProsIt is operating in Global competitive market to the best of its ability.

ConsThe work scopes has ups and downs due to market it is operating.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication with staff could be improved.

Solid employer with potential for improvement

Engineer (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsSmart people, interesting work in local and international oil and gas projects. Practices what it preaches in terms of safety - reminded daily of the importance of a strong safety culture.

ConsLimited personal development opportunities at the moment due to limited work (on the back of slow economic conditions and lack of operator activity). Do not feel valued as an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementLacking in definition of defined career paths. Considerably more can be done to make employees feel valued - it's the little things that count.

Good company for those who fit in.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsVery safety conscious, more than willing to promote within. Excellent benefits! I appreciated the trust and new responsibilities they put on me during my years there.

ConsOnce merged with PSN, there were gray lines when it comes to establishing responsibilities, could change from day to day. Mass lay-offs puts too much pressure on certain employees who's plate was full and would have to take on someone else's position who was let go of the day before.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop an outline of proper responsibility for each department. Respect the work load of each employee. Annual one on one review would help. Listen to your loyal employees, they know what's needed to make an efficient team.

Great people at a Great company

ProsGreat benefits and company truck

ConsNot located where I want to live

Worked for Wood Group PSN? Contribute to the Community!