Workday Reviews

Updated 30 October 2014
4.3

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Pros
  • work-life balance is great, they give you reimbursements for fitness so they want you to go work out (in 9 reviews)

• Great product, well-managed at the higher levels, expanding, very positive and flexible work environment (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits are the worst a Bay Area Tech company can ever offer (in 6 reviews)

• Can sometimes work really long hours to finish up a project before the deadline (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome Rollercoaster!

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in London, England

I have been working at Workday full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best technology; great people who are in it for the ride, not the cash; huge growth; focus on customer happiness (not screwing them for short term profits); a joined-up and exciting narrative; very honest about flaws and getting better at solving them. Positive, enthusiastic, professional staff - walk the floor: everyone is friendly and you won't know who the VP's as everyone is so friendly - no ivory towers here!

Cons

Not as aggressive as competition; growing pains can leave gaps in the organisation and its processes can be clumsy.

Keep staff informed, continue engaging with as many people internally as you can - the informal 'brown bag' sessions are great to get the big picture.

Extremely poor European Management in the past

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Dynamic fast paced company. Great technology and superior delivery. Talented sales individuals.

Cons

The European management has been a joke in the past. Previous head of EMEA and current CIO EMEA was/is a clown who network well upwards but are not well regarded by their peers locally. Brought in a blame/distrustful culture. Long standing employees who had served the company well but who did not "suck up " to these managers did not fare well. The head of EMEA referred to has left to be part of AsiaPac so hopefully improvements will follow.

Provide the facility for anonymous reviews of management. You may learn a great deal.

Great leadership, game changing technology and fun to work

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Technology, Leadership, Growth, Products, People, Benefits, WFH,

Cons

Growth brings unique challenges: Politics, Execution of Strategy, Competition catching up, Copycat players in emerging markets

Keep up the great work and leadership direction

Good company, poor European management.

Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Excellent market leading product.
    Collaborative environment.
    Very satisfied customers.

Cons

Very few people in Europe meet their targets.
    Unsupportive management.
    European management team lack autonomy
    Cliquey environment - most people have an Peoplesoft/Oracle/SAP connection.
    Creative thinking is discouraged, except amongst the 'inner circle.'
    The company is referred to internally as 'Workday and night' for good reason.

Do not over recruit, it is better to have a few people who have the opportunity to overachieve and are successful than a larger group who feel unable to do their targets and who become disgruntled.
    Allow the European managers greater autonomy.

Great company to thrive in

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The perks, benefits, such smart people, great time off policy. We work hard but we also know how to play hard!
    They take care of employees, investing in them. I like the management style too.
    The clubs they offer such as a book club, cycling, etc are great and they also really focus on wellness.

Cons

So one thing, they really focus on referrals, so that said, it seems a lot of lazy folks that were left at the "other" company in Pleasanton are now making their way to Workday. It's unfortunate. Just because someone is referred by their friend doesn't mean they have a great work ethic. I think they should focus on recruiting people from other companies and not necessarily former oracle or peoplesoft people. Or ask other people who may have worked with them previously.
    Lack of bathrooms in the building. Usually a line in the ladies room.

I love Workday and our culture. However, bringing over managers and above from the former company/"other" company is going to degrade the culture. The other company had a cutthroat, back stabbing culture where no one shared information with each other. I really do not want to see that happen to Workday. Those people do not belong at Workday and more and more I am seeing some of those people being hired.

Immersed Internship Experience

Former Employee - Associate Software EngineeringOMS in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Software EngineeringOMS in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They took really great care of the interns. I had a great time with other interns and full time employees.
    I really enjoyed the experience of just given a problem and finding a solution for it. Design the project, pitch it to the team, and then implement it into the system.

Cons

Wish there were more snacks
    Wish there were more interactions with the full-timers aside from work.
    Need more bathrooms.

Workday values its Customers, Employees and is a fine place to work

Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Workday is a continuation of the culture developed and matured originally at PeopleSoft. We treat our Customers and Employees very very well and with respect.

Cons

Sales Reps do not earn as much as at other ERP and Software sales companies in general. But if you exceed your quota you can blow out your earnings.

Provide either a travel allowance, or an extra starting bonus or more incentive to last the first year or two before a really large deal can get fully baked.

Great people and culture, and interesting work

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

What sets Workday apart is the culture. They put a big emphasis on your personality, and it shows in the hiring process and your coworkers. I became good friends with several coworkers in just a few months. My manager did an awesome job and it was evident that he really cared about every member on the team. He would always check in to make sure that the workload wasn't overbearing and would ask for individual input. The work is fun and rewarding, and the technology is unique and innovative.

Cons

The company is growing at a rapid rate and new initiatives are constantly undertaken. As a result, sometimes the spec or design of a project could be clearer, so that employees do not waste time building something that will be scrapped because it didn't match the customer's/management's expectations.

Consider assigning senior engineers a lesser workload so they can act as mentors for younger engineers. I know some managers do this already and from what I've observed, it yields very positive results.

Well run company

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Workday is a fun company that means business! We know how to make getting it done satisfying for both employees and customers which means that we have a lot of happy employees and customers. Workday has a workforce that is diverse and well rounded, and I believe that this shows in its products!

Cons

Workday needs to invest in better chairs. We sit in those things for the majority of our waking hours, they need to be comfortable and ergonomic, and are worth an investment.

place an appropriate value on facilities rather than pinching pennies there.

Workday is the best company a person can work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been working here for about 4 months now. I came straight out of college with a degree in business. Working for Workday as been the most incredible experience. They take so much time and money in training their employees. I'm challenged every day. My leadership gives me the tools to succeed. The people that I work with are hard working, funny, and just down right good people. I'm not over worked even though I'm salary, work about 40-45 hours a week. Also the industry is exploding so Workday is growing faster then any company I know. I turned down a huge salary to come here and I have to say it was so worth it. I'm so happy to come into work every day.

Cons

I can't think of anything honestly.

Keep making your employees feel appreciated and continue to challenge them on the individual level.