Workday

Updated 11 December 2014
4.4

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Pros
  • With that said, work life balance is respected (at least in the orgs I have experience with) (in 11 reviews)

• Great product and technology - development team at corporate was a blast (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits are the worst a Bay Area Tech company can ever offer (in 7 reviews)

• Can sometimes work really long hours to finish up a project before the deadline (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

A Culture of Opportunity!

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Great values, leaders, customers, and career progression.

Cons

I can't think of any cons! The best place to work.

Keep up the intense focus on employees.

Fantastic summer internship experience.

Former Employee - Associate Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Great work culture
    - Very well developed internship program with lots of activities
    - Approachable workplace, easy to ask questions for help

Cons

- Pleasanton is not the most lively place.

Great people

I worked at Workday

Pros

Love all my co-workers, great product, great customers.

Cons

Very process oriented like a lot of software companies.

More focused on specific goals.

Workday Summer Internship

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

+ Challenging problems to tackle in all fronts. Developing on Workday's unique & powerful technology stack requires deep understanding of software engineering and the stack itself. Even front-end development here is unlike what it is at other companies. (They use custom rendering engines to populate the browser screen. Cool!)
    + everything is Java based, and OO skills is a must. This could be a con for some.
    + Everybody is very welcoming and friendly!
    + Laid back atmosphere that encourages good work. Full timers are happily willing to help whenever you have questions. I can think of multiple people who really cared about my learning experience on top of the work I was getting done. I cannot be more thankful for this.
    + Intern events to get interns excited about the company are well done. Not too pushy and people have genuine fun.
    + Nice housing for interns right next to the Pleasanton office.
    + Sweet backpacks to keep, swag, etc.

Cons

- Minimal official training for new-comers. Interns start the summer off by picking a project and spending the first few weeks getting familiar with the code base while working on said project. Would be very helpful if the team had a structured boot camp to cut this initial phase down to a couple weeks. The closest thing I saw to this was high-level overviews of Workday's unique tech stack in the beginning. The rest was sort of ask-as-you-go. However, I noticed something like a bootcamp being set up for incoming full timers towards the end of the summer so my experience may be outdated.
    - I noticed a few intern projects made available were doomed from the start. For example, one of the projects had a point of contact who was in Germany so any roadblocks took much longer to work out. Caution when choosing projects should make this a non issue.
    - Limited snack options, but an amazing coffee machine makes up for this.
    - That's it!

Immersed Internship Experience

Former Employee - Associate Software EngineeringOMS in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Software EngineeringOMS in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They took really great care of the interns. I had a great time with other interns and full time employees.
    I really enjoyed the experience of just given a problem and finding a solution for it. Design the project, pitch it to the team, and then implement it into the system.

Cons

Wish there were more snacks
    Wish there were more interactions with the full-timers aside from work.
    Need more bathrooms.

Workday values its Customers, Employees and is a fine place to work

Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Workday is a continuation of the culture developed and matured originally at PeopleSoft. We treat our Customers and Employees very very well and with respect.

Cons

Sales Reps do not earn as much as at other ERP and Software sales companies in general. But if you exceed your quota you can blow out your earnings.

Provide either a travel allowance, or an extra starting bonus or more incentive to last the first year or two before a really large deal can get fully baked.

I would still be there but...

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Workday full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I agree with a lot of what has been in many of the reviews here
    Great Culture
    Good Benefits
    Innovation is outstanding
    Decent Work-Life Balance depending upon your role

Cons

Hiring middle management from Oracle will kill Workday's great culture !
    Becoming very bureaucratic
    Compensation is very, very, very low

Evaluate middle management. Consider management training
    Evaluate Compensation a bit more critically. Stock options don't always pay the bills

"You're having fun now, OK"

Former Employee - Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great management; super approachable and helpful
    Fun events outside of the office
    The break room is really cool

That's about it. If that's all you're looking for in your job, this is the place for you!

Cons

Rigid and awkward proprietary coding language. Forget any programming skills you have; they won't come in handy here. On that note, a dev job here probably isn't going to be helpful at all in future job searches.

Awarded "Best Place To Work in the Bay Area," and this is shoved in your face on day 1, until you leave. Workday promotes itself on having a fun workplace, and you feel VERY pressured to express that same enthusiasm, even if you're not having a great time.

Let your employers form their own opinion of the company, instead of telling them what to think.

Great people and culture, and interesting work

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

What sets Workday apart is the culture. They put a big emphasis on your personality, and it shows in the hiring process and your coworkers. I became good friends with several coworkers in just a few months. My manager did an awesome job and it was evident that he really cared about every member on the team. He would always check in to make sure that the workload wasn't overbearing and would ask for individual input. The work is fun and rewarding, and the technology is unique and innovative.

Cons

The company is growing at a rapid rate and new initiatives are constantly undertaken. As a result, sometimes the spec or design of a project could be clearer, so that employees do not waste time building something that will be scrapped because it didn't match the customer's/management's expectations.

Consider assigning senior engineers a lesser workload so they can act as mentors for younger engineers. I know some managers do this already and from what I've observed, it yields very positive results.

Well run company

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Workday is a fun company that means business! We know how to make getting it done satisfying for both employees and customers which means that we have a lot of happy employees and customers. Workday has a workforce that is diverse and well rounded, and I believe that this shows in its products!

Cons

Workday needs to invest in better chairs. We sit in those things for the majority of our waking hours, they need to be comfortable and ergonomic, and are worth an investment.

place an appropriate value on facilities rather than pinching pennies there.