Workday Reviews

Updated 15 April 2015
193 reviews filtered by

Look for hidden signals in interview, ok for entry level

I worked at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location because i lived very close to the office. Safe walk from Bart.
    Some people were fantastic but mostly other newer employees.
    Certain parts of the company that really have the described culture.

Cons

Beware if management chain from Peoplesoft or the startup. Your manager may not know how to lead and manage, if that matters to you.
    The people from the startup years seem to exclude newer employees. The former Peoplesoft people also are their own clique. Its like the cool kids, the sort of cool kids, and everyone trying to be the cool kids. Other employees from my new hire group expressed this concern to me after hire. They described it like high school.
    Your manager may be very technically competent but an incompetent manager of people, promoted just because they were from startup. If experienced, be prepared to work with less experienced management.
    After a year some are looked down upon, still don't know anything. In some groups don't expect much training. You must figure out almost everything on your own.
    It get worse, not better, over time, so left company.
    Don't expect a clear career progression. Watch out for management that are their to protect themselves. This is a very me first culture.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced managers that know how to manage employees, and teach the leaders to delegate effectively to the managers.

2. Can't Imagine a Better Place to Start My Career

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Work/Life Balance
    Management Actually Cares About the Welfare of Employees
    THE PEOPLE!!

Cons

Fast Growth means that not all programs are rounded out yet. Some basic learning experiences for the company can be tough to work through as the company continues to expand so rapidly.

Advice to Management

Keep the Culture!!!

Amazing company culture

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Good leadership, work-life balance, team spirit. Everyone I've met and worked with has been extremely nice and helpful. You'll meet people you want to be friends with outside of work.

Cons

The company is really well run so there aren't too many cons. Lacks certain benefits such as 401k matching but believe that will happen in the future as many benefits have been added since I started working there.

Advice to Management

Have more conversations for career development

5. Internship Review

Former Intern - Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great internship opportunity for computer science students - other departments not as much. They do a great job taking care of their employees, with great pay, complimentary housing, free seminars, and tons of fun details that create a fun office environment.

Cons

Not much growth or many learning opportunities outside the areas of computer science.

A Cult Cleverly Disguised as a Software Company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The snack closet. Alas, that was as short lived as my "Career" at Workday.

Cons

There is palpable sense of falseness and fake frivolity that permeates the entire workday experience and work culture. Similarly, there is the same disingenuous tone to most of the positive reviews about workday, no doubt the product of some poor intern recruited by HR to game the review average with glowing accolades of the Workday Experience. Those young men hired right out of school (yes, Workday has the same extreme gender bias like the rest of Silicon Valley) and the interns seem to enjoy this culture of fakeness, perhaps because growing up they always got ribbons and trophies just for participating. Folks like myself, with 20+ years IT experience sense the falseness the moment we walk in the door and start coding.

I liken the Workday culture to a cult. Cults typically prey on the young and naive and always have very rich, super controlling charismatic leaders and fiercely loyal lieutenants. And like any good cult, Workday doesn’t want you to leave. I had 4 exit interviews prior to my departure. When I handed my letter of resignation to my boss, instead of taking it graciously and professionally, he instead handed it back to me and said “Oh, we can talk about that later”. My immediate sense of that was, well you didn’t value what I did while I worked for you, while should you value what I say when I quit!

As most of the negative (and in my opinion) decidedly accurate reviews indicate, Workday doesn’t pay that great. Their initial salary offer was a lateral increase in pay, justifying it with RSUs that vest over a 4 year period for as a yet unprofitable company. I held out for more salary (a 10% increase in salary), and much to my surprise they met my asking price. Unfortunately, it was all downhill after that.

Overall, I felt my time at Workday was frustrating, confusing myriad of half-truths and promises made but never fulfilled, expectations set without timelines, time wasted and on an almost endless cycle of code re-working with out proper guidance, planning or direction. Oh and I did I mention that much of this wasted time occurred on my weekends or during the evening, that time, when according to all the positive reviewers written by that Intern from HR, I am balancing my life with work.

The first sign that things were off to a bad start, was ironically my start date with Workday. I tried to push it back about 10 days (in order to get my semi-annual bonus from my previous employer), but the hiring manager was insistent and I stupidly agreed to it. A few months later, I was then hurried out equally quickly of the group I hired into and dumped into another group without prior consent.

I strongly felt I was never given a chance to succeed or any kind of feedback on the work I did do. After approximately 2 months I did a performance review of myself that I wrote myself and never received any kind of feedback on that as well! I offered a co-worker approximately 30 documents (in addition to my daily coding tasks) I had written while trying to acclimate into the group. I even gave this same set of document to my Manager, only to have it summarily ignored.

My genuine impression is that I was hired merely as a placeholder until the real candidate was available a few months later. The timing of my transfer to the other group I was put in left no question in my mind. This replacement candidate had previously worked with all the other members of my group (did some reviews say clique). The only other outsider within my group was accepted mostly because he seemed to fill the role of the team mascot and cheerleader. I was the true outsider in my group and for this, I was summarily banished because of it.

Meetings were another cult like ritual at Workday. The first group I worked in met 3-4 times a week, and the 2nd group I worked in met daily for a 15 minute scrum that always went on for over an hour. All told, I would spend 10-15 hours a week in meetings and these meetings would spread throughout the day. It was genuinely difficult to establish a solid work rhythm when you’re periodically interrupted to talk about the work you’re trying to get done.

A few months after I started at Workday, accrued vacation was rescinded. It was announced via an email, of course.

There are of course, many more negatives – many of which were expressed in other honest (negative) reviews, such as the chronic back-stabbing, the lying, the Workday HR department that wouldn’t know a hostile workplace environment if they themselves worked in one (and they do) and so forth.

I genuinely think it’s a good place for young people to work, especially those right out of college or interns. They can continue to earn their participation ribbons and trophies in the form of RSUs but for experienced IT folks (i.e. those of us who really know what we’re doing), I think it’s fake, it’s a facade, a cult trying way too hard to be(profitable) .Software Company.

Advice to Management

Stop lying.

Best company I've worked at

I have been working at Workday

Pros

This is a company that's growing insanely fast. With that there are growing pains, bureaucracy, etc. but this is all taken in stride. As things on the business side get more complicated, the human side is growing to help ease that - snacks/drinks, events, benefits are all growing as the company figures how to do something for 3k+ employees. Leadership is transparent about where we're heading and sets lofty goals, but the company works its butts off to try and get there. With that said, work life balance is respected (at least in the orgs I have experience with). It's an exciting time to be at the company.

Cons

No free meals... yet!
    Compensation is not at some peers, but they try to make up by providing stock/RSU and ESPP. Everyone is a shareholder at the company.

8. A company with great culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team work is great since everyone helps
    Great technology support amazing results
    Office amenities make the day much less hard

Cons

This office is relatively small, that means it is required to each of the employees to do a step more. That means a bit more work but also lot of opportunities

9. Awesome

I have been working at Workday

Pros

great culture great company i love it

Cons

none none none none none

Advice to Management

none

10. Great company to work for

I have been working at Workday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Workday means having a lot of impact on many people lives as our products are used by pretty much all employees of the top companies. It's a lot of responsibility but it's challenging and exciting to be able to touch so many people and improve their experience at Work. One of my favorite benefits is unlimited holidays, which means you have to time to rest and do good work.

Cons

I think the salaries are pretty low compared to other tech companies.

Great company to thrive in

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks, benefits, such smart people, great time off policy. We work hard but we also know how to play hard!
    They take care of employees, investing in them. I like the management style too.
    The clubs they offer such as a book club, cycling, etc are great and they also really focus on wellness.

Cons

So one thing, they really focus on referrals, so that said, it seems a lot of lazy folks that were left at the "other" company in Pleasanton are now making their way to Workday. It's unfortunate. Just because someone is referred by their friend doesn't mean they have a great work ethic. I think they should focus on recruiting people from other companies and not necessarily former oracle or peoplesoft people. Or ask other people who may have worked with them previously.
    Lack of bathrooms in the building. Usually a line in the ladies room.

Advice to Management

I love Workday and our culture. However, bringing over managers and above from the former company/"other" company is going to degrade the culture. The other company had a cutthroat, back stabbing culture where no one shared information with each other. I really do not want to see that happen to Workday. Those people do not belong at Workday and more and more I am seeing some of those people being hired.