World Travel Holdings

World Travel Holdings Reviews

Updated Mar 20, 2014

World Travel Holdings Co-Chairman and Co-CEO Brad Tolkin

Brad Tolkin

Pros:
  • "Plus, the majority of the company is a virtual workforce, so you can work from home"
    in 14 reviews
  • "But seriously, the best reason to work here is perhaps the people"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "There's so much this company need to improve on for their call center"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Thanks to modern technology you have access to learning tools 24/7"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Don't mess up here! Don't stay off the phone too long.

Customer Care Representative (Former Employee)
Altamonte Springs, FL (US)

I worked at World Travel Holdings

ProsGreat benefits, worked with great people. Luncheons from sales executives every month at least, Good location. Good training.

ConsCons would be the way that the managers kept track of calls coming in, in relation to the customer service versus sales. It was rare that a person wanted to add on to an already booked reservation. New inbound calls were expected to be sold on that call due to price changes. Don't take too many breaks, if you are sick try to be there anyway, while the managers understood people do get sick after a while they will start targeting anyone that would take advantage of sick time or other time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot every position is about sales. Customer service is very valuable as well, with that being said there was no room for improvement for sales when all the calls are for customer service.

Work hard, engage others, get rewarded

I have been working at World Travel Holdings

ProsWonderful people, great work/life balance, great performance is greatly rewarded. Progressive management team, love seeing that they are hiring more management positions from outside the company. promoting from within is great, when you have the talent, but it's also important to mix it up and bring in fresh sets of eyes now and again. I think there have been three external management hires in the last few months and I think it's about time!

ConsThere is quite a variety of folks -there are some amazing sales people with great attitudes and there are mediocre to bad ones who get frustrated because they want the benefits of being a great sales person without actually being one. If you aren't a great sales person or you dont like selling, I don't recommend entry level call center positions at WTH, it's not likely you will be happy as it is a performance driven environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending so much time/money trying to figure out scheduling and focus on other benefits for employees. The scheduling is what it is, so create things that make the crappy scheduling worth staying for. Better medical benefits, more recognition, or more travel opportunities. (just thoughts, there are many other options, i am sure) The way scheduling works is constantly changing because it has to - fine, just say what it is. People wont leave because of it if there are other things that make it worth staying. I think the brain power invested in all the focus groups and questions about how to schedule better would be better used thinking of ways to show love to the employees.

Its not what I thought it would be, but it's a job.

Travel Pro (Current Employee)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings

ProsBest reason to work here is because you want to work from home, your an excellent salesperson and or you want discounts on cruises.

ConsIt's funny I read this site before I took this job and I thought man this job could mean some opportunity for growth, money and benefits. I've always loved travel so it seemed like a great fit. Well let me tell you there where 25+ people in my training class and now there's about 8-10 left with 6 of them telling me personally how upset they are with this job. Take this job if you are already a salesperson and your able to sell anyone on anything,, don't take this job if you think your going to be trained on how to sell. You will be very disappointed with your pay check. Here's what they don't tell you in the interview or in training....your making usually about usually 10% of 10% of the total. Sometimes that's as little as $9, many times your not making anything at all except your hourly wage, which is $8. Let's face it people now a days want to book things online, so they call to get answers to questions than leave and book it themselves. Which not only do you not make money but you don't meet your conversion percentage. Oh, I almost forgot about the forced Overtime, that's makes for very unhappy employees. It's great working from home but you can make more at burger king flipping burgers with less stress. Why am I still here? Because I like working from home :)

Advice to Senior ManagementStart telling new hires what its really like to work here! Stop sugar coding the job. Only a very small percentage of people are making the money you post in the job description. Just like only a very tiny number of rooms/sailings actually go for the prices you post online. Another crappy part of the job, explaining to people that what the see online isn't the actual cost...kinda makes it hard to sell something when people don't trust us.

Dissatisfied

Travel Pro (Current Employee)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings

ProsIt is work at home and you are not pressurized to keep taking calls. Get to spend more time to know the customers well.

ConsIt is sales that drives a perosn crazy. Every few minutes there is an email that boasts of people making 20K in sales. That puts a person off for the rest of the day. For every person tries their best to get that mark but is not always successful and that puts a question in your head ..are you not good enough?
The schedule is killing. They ask you what schedule you prefer but that is not adhered to.
They will give you 50hrs a week. It is fine for people who do not have a family, social circle, hobbies.
When you sell it does not mean you will get that commission. At the end of pay period you will get the higher amount . So it is not your basic +commission.
In short if you do not sell well you are stuck at $8/hr
There are too many different products and many more get added each day.
If you work late shifts then cruise lines and back office is closed so for any help you are on your own .

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to distribute the commission pattern, and the products sold.
Do not try to make people "Jack of all trades Master of none"

well?

Agent (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at World Travel Holdings

Prosgreat coworkers depends who you pick

Consmanagement needs to help employees not hinder them

Advice to Senior Managementstop abusing the sales floor/ non management they work hard

Eh.

Customer Care Representative (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings

Prosgreat fellow employee, work from home

ConsThey do not work with your schedule for any reason, not school, not another job, not family. Everything is done by what they feel they need.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your smaller employees, they make the company and will probably be your boss one day.

I LOVE my job

Customer Care Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings

ProsWhat more is there to say? I get to talk to people all day long about their upcoming cruise. I get to do this all while working from home in my pajamas....

ConsThe benefits are a little better than average, but very pricey! I wish that the monthly premiums would decrease. It would really be nice if they offered Aflac insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. You make this a wonderful place to spend 8 hours a day. 9 years with WTH and hopefully many more to come :)

Incredible. I love my job, the role, the people and the direction we're heading in.

Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings

ProsPeople, the work, hours, pay and and the fact that we are selling dreams. The travel industry is a fun industry to be in, especially since I love to travel.

ConsWe are a low margain business so there is a lot of pressure because every booking counts. It's a 24/7 business so it's hard to find employees willing to work the non desirable shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! You did an awesome job at pulling this company out of hard economic times. You made the hard decisions and continue to keep your eye on the ball.

Good long term company

Software Manager (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings

ProsGood work life balance, upper management gives sufficient space to employees to decide/perform

ConsIndustry is not fast growing and it's hard for a company to grow much faster than the industry. Limited growth leads to limited opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with ways to lead employees multitask.

Amazing organization that cares about the employees and values your perspective

I have been working at World Travel Holdings

ProsGreat potential to earn great money, robust training program, leadership that cares and invests in the business and the people, travel perks, great work locations, alot of tenure with great opportunity to learn from others that have been in the business for a long time.

ConsIt is a seasonal business so always be prepared for a busy first quarter. Plan vacations accordingly so you can enjoy the great industry you are a part of.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue leading the business with the passion and pride that you do. Your desire to see this business continue to succeed and grow does not go unnoticed!!

Worked for World Travel Holdings? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at World Travel Holdings reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for World Travel Holdings CEO Brad Tolkin. All 62 reviews are posted anonymously by World Travel Holdings employees.