World Travel Holdings Reviews

Updated 28 February 2015
95 reviews filtered by

1. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Fsa in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Fsa in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings

Pros

Everyone is super supportive and very pleasant. The management style is great as they do not micro-manage. They value team work and have done a wonderful job of making a virtual position not feel so lonely.

Cons

The work becomes a bit mundane and there is little opportunity for advancement. A bit more flexibility in scheduling would be great as the shifts are all full-time and it can be tough to continuously sit at a desk for 8 hours straight.

Advice to Management

Maybe you could incorporate a position where agents are allowed to sort of "jump in" and pick up a few calls or hours without being locked into a set shift. I do understand the need for coverage, hence scheduled shifts, but this role would be one that is available part time in addition to regularly scheduled shifts

2. Creating more than remarkable experiences.

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Open door to leadership teams. Constantly striving to get better and do more for employees to stay engaged and happy.

Cons

The pay is below market average it seems for middle management.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage employees to think more about what else the company could be doing and how to dominate the market place.

Great!

Former Employee - Vacation Consultant in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Vacation Consultant in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can work from home, great support team and excellent benefits. Your earning potential is in your own hands.
    You also have the opportunity to go on Fam Trips, to see the product that you are selling.

Cons

Changing of compensation plans in favor of upper management, sometimes made for a hostile work environment.
    Caused the loss of some very good employees judging from their sales figures.

Advice to Management

Keep compensation plans simple. In the training department it is very important that the person has a sound knowledge of Geography!

5. I think this is a great place to be!

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Altamonte Spg, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Altamonte Spg, FL (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WTH is the largest cruise company in North America, and the travel business is a whole lot of fun compared to some of the other jobs I've had...Where else can you have a real work at home opportunity with a well established company that sells a "Real" product. I have friends that work for banks, insurance companies, cable companies - not much fun there! WTH has a six week training program that teaches you how to use the systems, sell to customers, etc. They have always been very good to me and the group of people that I interact with at the company.

Cons

The Cruise business can be complicated. It's sometimes difficult to sift through all of the different promotions, resident rates, professional rates. The company works hard to keep everyone up to speed on industry changes. Everyone learns at different speeds, so ask for help if you need it. The time off policy has always worked for me, and there has been talk out there of a new system that is right around the corner to make requesting time off even easier. There are travel opportunities that we have access to that are not available to the public. Most of the time these opportunities are not free, but they are a great deal if you have the money.

Advice to Management

I know alot of people who have won free cruises...I haven't won one yet...More free cruises would be nice! LOL

6. Solid company with in highly competitive thin-margin industry

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at World Travel Holdings

Pros

Various divisions in several different sectors of travel. If you perform well and manage relationships well, you have options. Well intentioned, good -hearted owners.

Cons

Thin margin business ultimately selling other people's products. Which means will rely heavily on service and sales force. May not invest as much in taking strategic risks, long term investment.

Advice to Management

Widen their circle of influence beyond core executive team.

7. Possibly the worst job I've ever had

I worked at World Travel Holdings

Pros

Working from home, decent pay, benefits were available, provided you equipment to use

Cons

The cons list is more like asking me to write a novel because they most definitely are more than the pros listed above. First of all the training that you go through isn't as detailed as they want you to believe. They do make sure you know how to use their booking software but outside of that, the cruiseline websites/online portals are really left up to you. They tell you to use them but don't go over in detail just what you can do and what steps you need to take. 9 times out of 10 I just called the cruiseline which resulted in longer than necessary wait times. When you aren't working you are really expected to look into these portals on your own time to get familiar with them even if it's not said.

It wasn't as free flowing and laid back as their job description described by any means. The trainers led you to believe that this was an easy job but due to the customers calling in it's not easy at all. They are demanding, rude, verbally abusive for no reason at all. This may be just your typical customer service job which is what it boils down to but there were words of encouragement everywhere pointing in the opposite direction. It's stressful and every single day after training I either began or ended my shift in tears due to the high level of stress that was put on me.

WTH is deceptive. First is they hire you as a customer service rep, but in actuality you are a sales agent. Secondly, they advertise they are lower in pricing but due to the $24.99 processing fee they are in no way lower. Rates match the cruiseline's with the added processing fee and travel insurance they have you sneak in they are quite a bit higher.

Scheduling is a complete mess and unless you are single and have no social life this company won't work for you. They ask you to work impossible shifts, never take into account any reason why you can't work it. It's either you do their shift or you can hit the road. Speaking to Human Resources to try to get an exemption status is a joke. I don't appreciate someone being empathetic unless they actually are going to take action.

Supervisors in this company aren't qualified to be managers of anyone. If you don't give them the answers they are looking for they will look for other ways to talk down to you. If you don't sell over 30 cruises per week then you have all eyes on you.

Over the course of a year I was lied to numerous times, tossed around and just left out to drown in the sea. I was absolutely thrilled to quit and will never go back to work there. You are really treated better at Wal-Mart believe it or not.

Advice to Management

You need to totally reorganize this company from the ground up. It

second interview

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good opportunity, benefits, raises, vacations, pto

Cons

interview process isn't great. I spent all this time interviewing and waiting all weekend. Went through two very extensive interviews to get a generic rejection letter. Very disappointed that they couldn't even tell me why I didn't get the job.

Advice to Management

rethink your candidates.

9. DO NOT BE FOOLED

I worked at World Travel Holdings (Less than a year)

Pros

The best advice is for those who decided NOT to apply for this company is the best decision you could of made concerning a job. Keep searching for a viable company.

Cons

Any positive remarks concerning this company are from people who have been employed for a while ( please note that as you review the comments). The main work force learned travel industry in an office setting NOT through a 6 week virtual program from home which sets you up for failure. This company is looking for a sales person in the travel industry. Most viable travel agencies will not hire anyone without previous experience of a substantial number of years-*warning flag. They promote deceptive practices with the customer by presenting "travel protection" (which is travel insurance) in the total cost presentation to the customer. Only when the customer questions the line item do they find out it is an OPTION. Make sure you read ALL the comments because the positive ones are questionable-an attempt to override/down play the many NEGATIVE postings.

Advice to Management

There is something very unethical about this company. Clean up your act or get out of business. Stop abusing people who are serious about working and taking advantage of their situation. Horrible management and worst business practices that I have EVER experienced.

Just Ok

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Altamonte Springs, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Altamonte Springs, FL (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks. Discounts on vacation trips, contests and giveaways

Cons

Not getting enough sales on the week will get all eyes on you

employment through intimidation

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The ability to work from home. The ability to sell cruise vacation's while in your PJ's. I worked for the company for over 3 years and when I first started it was a different place than it is now. BE WARNED!!! I left the company under good terms but I won't be back!!

Cons

I felt such a sense of relief when I left this company. I was actually able to stop taking the anxiety drugs that I had been on for a little over a year. You will stay employed as long as you are feeling that your job in jeopardy daily. If you can make it through the first year with no real issues and continue to live in fear of your job - you are safe. The top leadership has stepped away from the helm and left the running of the company to a woman who is out of touch with the most valuable asset, the employee. Team leaders are not experienced in real leadership but are promoted by their ability to intimidate or simply follow instructions with no question and those that do have great leadership skills are beaten down until they conform or they are demoted/fired.

Advice to Management

Top management needs to get back to the basics of running your company. It used to be the most amazing place to work. You have let down your employees and your customers. The excitement that was once generated is now replaced by fear and intimidation. Take your company back!! Remember what you are doing is about creating a great place for your employees that you used to refer to as family but now you cannot even remember the names of the faces you see. You used to come to the office locations and really open yourselves up to your employees but now you have shut the door to them. Your company will continue to be blasted until you make it what it once was.

World Travel Holdings Photos