World Travel Holdings

Updated 16 January 2015
2.7

World Travel Holdings Co-Chairman and Co-CEO Brad Tolkin
Brad Tolkin

Pros
  • Great for people who want to work from home and don't need daily contact (in 27 reviews)

• But seriously, the best reason to work here is perhaps the people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Even if you've never done a work-from-home job before (in 4 reviews)

• If you have worked in a call center then you know how bad those places really are (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I think this is a great place to be!

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Altamonte Spg, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Altamonte Spg, FL (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than a year)

Pros

WTH is the largest cruise company in North America, and the travel business is a whole lot of fun compared to some of the other jobs I've had...Where else can you have a real work at home opportunity with a well established company that sells a "Real" product. I have friends that work for banks, insurance companies, cable companies - not much fun there! WTH has a six week training program that teaches you how to use the systems, sell to customers, etc. They have always been very good to me and the group of people that I interact with at the company.

Cons

The Cruise business can be complicated. It's sometimes difficult to sift through all of the different promotions, resident rates, professional rates. The company works hard to keep everyone up to speed on industry changes. Everyone learns at different speeds, so ask for help if you need it. The time off policy has always worked for me, and there has been talk out there of a new system that is right around the corner to make requesting time off even easier. There are travel opportunities that we have access to that are not available to the public. Most of the time these opportunities are not free, but they are a great deal if you have the money.

I know alot of people who have won free cruises...I haven't won one yet...More free cruises would be nice! LOL

Solid company with in highly competitive thin-margin industry

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at World Travel Holdings

Pros

Various divisions in several different sectors of travel. If you perform well and manage relationships well, you have options. Well intentioned, good -hearted owners.

Cons

Thin margin business ultimately selling other people's products. Which means will rely heavily on service and sales force. May not invest as much in taking strategic risks, long term investment.

Widen their circle of influence beyond core executive team.

Possibly the worst job I've ever had

I worked at World Travel Holdings

Pros

Working from home, decent pay, benefits were available, provided you equipment to use

Cons

The cons list is more like asking me to write a novel because they most definitely are more than the pros listed above. First of all the training that you go through isn't as detailed as they want you to believe. They do make sure you know how to use their booking software but outside of that, the cruiseline websites/online portals are really left up to you. They tell you to use them but don't go over in detail just what you can do and what steps you need to take. 9 times out of 10 I just called the cruiseline which resulted in longer than necessary wait times. When you aren't working you are really expected to look into these portals on your own time to get familiar with them even if it's not said.

It wasn't as free flowing and laid back as their job description described by any means. The trainers led you to believe that this was an easy job but due to the customers calling in it's not easy at all. They are demanding, rude, verbally abusive for no reason at all. This may be just your typical customer service job which is what it boils down to but there were words of encouragement everywhere pointing in the opposite direction. It's stressful and every single day after training I either began or ended my shift in tears due to the high level of stress that was put on me.

WTH is deceptive. First is they hire you as a customer service rep, but in actuality you are a sales agent. Secondly, they advertise they are lower in pricing but due to the $24.99 processing fee they are in no way lower. Rates match the cruiseline's with the added processing fee and travel insurance they have you sneak in they are quite a bit higher.

Scheduling is a complete mess and unless you are single and have no social life this company won't work for you. They ask you to work impossible shifts, never take into account any reason why you can't work it. It's either you do their shift or you can hit the road. Speaking to Human Resources to try to get an exemption status is a joke. I don't appreciate someone being empathetic unless they actually are going to take action.

Supervisors in this company aren't qualified to be managers of anyone. If you don't give them the answers they are looking for they will look for other ways to talk down to you. If you don't sell over 30 cruises per week then you have all eyes on you.

Over the course of a year I was lied to numerous times, tossed around and just left out to drown in the sea. I was absolutely thrilled to quit and will never go back to work there. You are really treated better at Wal-Mart believe it or not.

You need to totally reorganize this company from the ground up. It

DO NOT BE FOOLED

I worked at World Travel Holdings (less than a year)

Pros

The best advice is for those who decided NOT to apply for this company is the best decision you could of made concerning a job. Keep searching for a viable company.

Cons

Any positive remarks concerning this company are from people who have been employed for a while ( please note that as you review the comments). The main work force learned travel industry in an office setting NOT through a 6 week virtual program from home which sets you up for failure. This company is looking for a sales person in the travel industry. Most viable travel agencies will not hire anyone without previous experience of a substantial number of years-*warning flag. They promote deceptive practices with the customer by presenting "travel protection" (which is travel insurance) in the total cost presentation to the customer. Only when the customer questions the line item do they find out it is an OPTION. Make sure you read ALL the comments because the positive ones are questionable-an attempt to override/down play the many NEGATIVE postings.

There is something very unethical about this company. Clean up your act or get out of business. Stop abusing people who are serious about working and taking advantage of their situation. Horrible management and worst business practices that I have EVER experienced.

second interview

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good opportunity, benefits, raises, vacations, pto

Cons

interview process isn't great. I spent all this time interviewing and waiting all weekend. Went through two very extensive interviews to get a generic rejection letter. Very disappointed that they couldn't even tell me why I didn't get the job.

rethink your candidates.

employment through intimidation

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The ability to work from home. The ability to sell cruise vacation's while in your PJ's. I worked for the company for over 3 years and when I first started it was a different place than it is now. BE WARNED!!! I left the company under good terms but I won't be back!!

Cons

I felt such a sense of relief when I left this company. I was actually able to stop taking the anxiety drugs that I had been on for a little over a year. You will stay employed as long as you are feeling that your job in jeopardy daily. If you can make it through the first year with no real issues and continue to live in fear of your job - you are safe. The top leadership has stepped away from the helm and left the running of the company to a woman who is out of touch with the most valuable asset, the employee. Team leaders are not experienced in real leadership but are promoted by their ability to intimidate or simply follow instructions with no question and those that do have great leadership skills are beaten down until they conform or they are demoted/fired.

Top management needs to get back to the basics of running your company. It used to be the most amazing place to work. You have let down your employees and your customers. The excitement that was once generated is now replaced by fear and intimidation. Take your company back!! Remember what you are doing is about creating a great place for your employees that you used to refer to as family but now you cannot even remember the names of the faces you see. You used to come to the office locations and really open yourselves up to your employees but now you have shut the door to them. Your company will continue to be blasted until you make it what it once was.

Just Ok

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Altamonte Springs, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Altamonte Springs, FL (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Perks. Discounts on vacation trips, contests and giveaways

Cons

Not getting enough sales on the week will get all eyes on you

Set Up For Failure, Not Success

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You do get to work from home, hired as an employee instead of a contractor and the pay is seemingly more than most work at home call centers.

Cons

6 weeks of training yet you are not very prepared for the calls and questions you will get asked which leads you to put the customer on hold until you can get the answer. The team lead that I was assigned to was more interested in sales than actually helping someone so I always had to go another route which took extremely too long at times. My training class was led to believe we would be getting more service than sales calls which was the exact opposite once we were on the phones full time. As you are a CCR you don't get commission from bookings you make as you are paid strict hourly wages with little to no incentives.

Unless you are a top seller within the first six months they do set you up to fail. My situation was given a schedule that would not fit my personal needs at all. They forced me to choose between my family and the job itself. I later found out they did this to more employees over the last week or two when the new shifts went into place. As someone here stated they get rid of the low sellers with the new shift changes causing the high turnover process.

They used my vacation times without approval a few times when I called in sick in turn dwindling down my paid time not even telling me but letting me find out when I got my pay stub so there wasn't a way to get it back. When I did ask for time off it was only approved after I had to almost beg the scheduling department.

Travel discounts are laughable plus you have such a hard time getting paid time off you don't get to take advantage of the small discounts you do receive.

Upper management is a complete joke. They don't care about the employee or their personal concerns. Don't have an open door policy if you don't intend to use it correctly. The turnover rate is something you should definitely take a look at. If you are having to do a massive hire for new employees every year then something is not right. This is the first job I've ever had that lost so many people it required you to basically restaff at the end of the year. Listen to your employees, make changes that keep them happy and there to answer calls. Have your team leads retrained because they are not there for support at all. You pay them higher wages to attach pictures to emails they send to everyone.

MOST DISRESPECTFUL PEOPLE I HAVE EVER MET

Former Employee - Virtual Travel Agent in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Virtual Travel Agent in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nothing but rude and disrespectful people.

Cons

horrible program, disrespectful people, no true management,
    My daughter was injured at school... and my husband is active duty... They were all about me I was going to be one of their BEST employees and yadda yadda... boy they lied!
    My husband was leaving and they point blank told me that since my husband was leaving they didnt care... they were not going to work with me.. MY HUSBAND IS GOV. PROPERTY I dare them tell the government no. I called HR and they said go ahead... well then my Step daughter that I have emergency custody of (because of sexual abuse as they were told) and my other child had chickenpox.... I work from home.. so I should be allowed to have my chickenpox child here.. nope they told me that I was to find someone to watch her or they were gonna fire me.. THEN my step daughter came in to let me know that someone was here and i was on a CALL nothing major just a call with training.. * that is ridiculous and just unnecessary.* and they told me they were gonna fire me if I didnt show Military proof and doctors notes that my children had been sick and sexual abused! ARE YOU SERIOUS.. I sent over the information and proof because i have nothing to hide... and they kept threatening me.... I called military and black listed them as a company of recommendations!

BEWARE HORRIBLE COMPANY!

FIND ANOTHER JOB!

Not that impressive

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Wilmington, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Wilmington, MA (US)

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work from home, full time

Cons

Training will have you believing this place is a level above the rest but it's nothing special. Never could get a day approved off so I eventually just started calling in whenever I had appointments or outside responsibilities. My team lead was horrible. She wasn't interested in talking with you unless you were in the top 10 for sales.

There aren't any notable perks of working here. Travel discounts are very minor but even then you can't take off time to use them. Benefits are higher than most companies.

HR is worthless if you have a real problem or concern. You get the fake empathetic tone telling you they completely understand yet make no attempt to help.

There is no point in advice. These people don't like change and are fine with the high turnover rate.

World Travel Holdings Photos