World Travel Holdings

Updated 23 November 2014
2.3

World Travel Holdings Co-Chairman and Co-CEO Brad Tolkin
Brad Tolkin

Pros
  • Great for people who want to work from home and don't need daily contact (in 27 reviews)

• But seriously, the best reason to work here is perhaps the people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Even if you've never done a work-from-home job before (in 4 reviews)

• If you have worked in a call center then you know how bad those places really are (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

They simply don't care, no constancy and show favoritism only if you're a yes person. Over 10 years, lol who cares!

Current Employee - CCR in Woburn, MA (US)
    Current Employee - CCR in Woburn, MA (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home, travel perks

Cons

They lie to you and are very shady! They remove you from positions with no reason, no advance warning or if they so desire to give you a reason it's bs. No matter who you go to in management to address concerns, they don't care they all stick together, even in HR. Open door policy doesn't exist! They will find any reason to fire you. People who've worked there for a Centry are treated like they just started yesterday. Dedicated, loyal and hard working employees mean nothing to them. People who have stayed that long only stayed for the travel perks and work from home. I'm one of them. Honestly at this point in my opinion it's not worth my sanity. Every thing most come to end and I feel the end is near. I believe in karma and believe there's a better plan for me.

GROW SOME! Stick up for your employees, look out for them and stop abusing them because of the title you hold, you think you can treat people that way. Give poisonous boss classes and instead of finding everything wrong with agents that are forced to sell vacations or forced to stay in available when most of the time it's highly impossible, investigate the team leads and the CS managers, that's where you need to clean house. Come visit us, email us and ask us how where doing and what issues we have and you will be surprised that while you're sitting on your yacht some where or in some fancy million dollar home. Your management team is taking advantage and mistreating us like slaves! Slavery days are over! We are the reason wth is business!

It"s all about the bottom line and the owners egos...NOT about the employees

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best thing is the other employees, though that has changed since most people now work from home...NOT management....the are terrible...UPPER management that is...

Cons

You name it...unprofessional, no one knows what is really going on, management is a mess, will work employees until they quit or are fired for a simple mistake (or whenever they want new blood in), want to appear as though they are a good company,but the budget is the most important thing.

Get rid of some of the upper management in both cruise and villas. They are shady and only looking out for themselves.

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Focus on employee retention, promote from within, management all the way up to CEO's are approachable and accessible.

Cons

Communication can be an issue, pay doesn't always seem fair, double standards with some managers and supervisors, not all departments are always treated equally which can make people feel undervalued.

Improve communication between departments, model the behavior that you want your direct reports to display - "do as I say, not as I do" doesn't work well.

Great place to work from home

Current Employee - Customer Care in Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall, the company is an excellent place to work. No previous travel experience needed, 6 weeks of paid training, plenty of PTO and sick time offered, and well above average starting pay for entry level employees. Plus, the majority of the company is a virtual workforce, so you can work from home. No commute means no gas expense. Excellent training means you dont need to have a ton of travel experience, just the ability to interact with people and sell vacations.

Cons

The only real con to this company is its scheduling system. Shifts are assigned every 12 weeks and are mostly determined based on your performance, call handling, and attendance...hardly radical ideas. However as a 24/7 company this will (and does) leave some people with undesirable shifts that don't work with their personal lives. This can seem draconian, especially when it happens to you, but it is very well advertised both in hiring and training that this will be the case....its not a surprise.

Not really a con, but the company also uses a fairly straightforward attendance policy that rewards people that actually show up for work on time and penalizes those that don't, regardless of the circumstances. This comes as a rude awakening to those people that have been habitually late or have lots of "life happens" days at previous employers. It is by no means a one occurrence system though, there are plenty of opportunities to have "life happens", as it does to all of us. I felt I should put this in cons based on how many reviews spoke ill of it.

The travel industry is by nature seasonal, and as such, hours and work load can fluctuate from busy and flush with sales, to bored and hurting for hours. The company does a pretty reasonable job of balancing this with scheduling, timing their hiring season, and offering both a commission based position and an hourly based position.

Entry level pay is good, especially with no experience, but the hard cap for most positions is only slightly above entry level. This does not leave a lot of drive and ambition to increase performance once capped, other than the threat of termination. This can lead to a culture of "just doing enough to get by". Removing these caps would reward long time and devoted employees and give a target for those just starting, all for a very marginal increase in operating costs.

Advancement is available, with a focus on internal candidates, however openings for higher positions are scarce, as most of the workforce is in customer care, not support or management. This is another reason why there should be higher pay caps for hourly employees, and a higher base line for commission based positions.

Benefits are great, but health insurance premiums (as they are everywhere) are ridiculous. I don't feel like a lot of attention is paid to this other than "This is what we have from our insurance provider, take it or don't." More communication of health care benefits, what you're doing to bring down premium costs through negotiation and shopping around, and most importantly how the coming ACA changes are going to affect us and our pay checks would go a long way to reduce the burden your employees (and yourselves, since you supplement the plan) pay for health insurance.

Terrible communication, company is behind the times in most ways.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA (US)

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the team, a good work/life balance
    Decent compensation

Cons

Terrible top-down communication as well as between cross-functional teams
    Review system is flawed and executives have no motivation to empower employees
    No career path
    Bogged down in outdated processes

Invest time and money in your young, motivated employees to keep them engaged and make them want to stay.

employee turn out is insane

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

opportunities for advancement are promising, starting pay is great for entry level employees with no formal education, incentives are available, hires and promotes from within the company

Cons

the scheduling system is really bad, management only wants a warm body answering phones and making sales, they don't care about your life outside of the office, team leads are poorly trained if at all (often times they go on power trips), if you aren't a top seller in the first 3 months team leads do whatever it takes to get you out of there

spend more time on training everyone, staff, and management, it will make a huge difference in long run

OK at best

Current Employee - Travel Agent in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Travel Agent in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Virtual positions available, no commuting or clothing expense

Cons

Constant pressure from team leads who are never available to help you. Travel pros and CS reps work very hard while the team leads find pictures and cartoons to put in emails. Ever changing goals can make you crazy especially during very busy times. Days off are scarce. They expect you to experience cruises but don't give you enough time off to go. Schedules change every 12 weeks and are assigned by performance. Family vs work balance is poor. The only thing important is company needs. Do something wrong and you become a target. Very high turnover.

Take a good look at lower and mid management.

Challenging, gratifying work with some excellent people

Current Employee - Analyst in Wilmington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Wilmington, MA (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the Good things that stand out to me are:
    1) Transparency and communication are high throughout the organization. You know how well the company is doing at all times and feel like you have a stake in it's success.
    2) There is committed, engaged ownership who are experienced in travel and genuinely enjoy being in the travel space.
    3) I have an open, honest relationship with my boss. There is very little I feel I can't share and I get regular performance feedback, both positive and negative. It is empowering to be given a clear sense of how I need to improve and where I'm doing well.

Cons

So many "priorities", not enough hands to accomplish them. The projects multiply like rabbits around here to the point that sometimes it feels overwhelming and unfocused. There is also a bit of an entrenched way of doing things, which limits testing new ideas/approaches.

Keep looking! There are reasons why the turnover is so high.

Former Employee - Sales Pro in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Pro in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can be promoted if you can endure the schedule, team leads, dubious ads and still act like you are the happiest person in the world.

Cons

Advertising usually is targeted at those people who want the absolute cheapest cruise, while management creates pressure to maintain the highest results. What suffers is usually the sales peoples earnings. Much of your earnings would be from selling travel insurance and someone who is looking for a $99 three night bargain is not interested in increasing their costs.

The software program that drives their system is a patched up, decades old relic that should be retired. It will cause you to waste hours of time talking to their tech people to try to get cruises booked, which is time when you would be earning $0. It can be very frustrating, especially when you are trying to end your shift and you end up staying over on your time to try to get things done.

Their phone system is designed to sort out the incoming calls. People who want longer cruises or international cruises will go to those employees who typically been there the longest and have the best closing rates and insurance sales. It is very hard to generate the necessary level of results that produce the better incoming calls when the phone system channels people looking for a cheap 3 day cruise bargain to your phone. Even if you get to the top levels of performance it is still possible that management will flood the market with a massive amount of emails that are designed to get that super cheap shopper to call in and flood the phone lines which then goes to everyone and will drive everyone's performance down.

Entry level shoppers can take just as long as a high end cruise shopper and many entry level cruises will pay less than $10 in commission and can actually cost you dollars if it drops you insurance sales to a lower commission percentage. I once worked a 9 hour Saturday, sold $6600 worth of cruises and ended up earning less for the week than when I started working that morning. This was because management did an email blast featuring super cheap cruises. I sold just enough cruises to those buyers that dropped my insurance percentage down and I lost more than I gained. However management made out great. They got me work a Saturday evening, gained $6600 in cruise sales and I still sold some insurance and then they paid me less than zero for the day. Not a bad deal for them and I doubt if that policy will ever change.

It is a real shame that this company does business this way. I was hired in a group of about 33 sales people, (I believe that over 120 total where hired that fall). Of the 33 I would say that over 30 of them had been experienced middle aged professionals who came to WTH with sales experience and the expectation that they would succeed because they had in the past, me included. When I left 9 months later, there were 7 from that group left and to my knowledge only one was let go. The others decided that a “work from home career in the travel industry” just wasn’t worth it. If you decide to work at World Travel Holdings there is a very high probability that you will not stay. Management really doesn’t care. There company has evolved with a business model where they hire and train a lot of people in the fall. Throw them on the phones for the busy season during the first part of the year and when it slows down they are glad to see you go. In the meantime most new hires will be taking all the calls and work all the worst schedules that the handfuls of their top producers just don’t want. It works for WTH but didn’t for me.

Hire some true professional sales and business managers from outside of the industry. Also it wouldn't hurt to try to improve your employee turnover rate. But that would take some new thinking and a lot of work to change the well engrained business model that you currently have. On second thought, just brainwash your managers that having an artificially sticky sweet personality is what sales management is all about.

yes i can attitude.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chili, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chili, WI (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

best service provided good guest communication and handling chutes.

Cons

to be on time according the guest .

more provided job opportunity.

World Travel Holdings Photos