YMCA

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.5 1,265 reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll

Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership(in 150 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected(in 62 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions(in 51 reviews)

1,265 Employee Reviews

Great and satisfying experience

Ymca Shop Assistant (Former Employee) Chorley, England

ProsGreat people, working environments and flexible hours on submission

Consalways dealing with the public in store.

Fun

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSociable good hours good pay

ConsNot profit office culture time off

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

great place to work

ProsPeople are very friendly to wokl with

Consrequre a lot of travelling

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lifeguarding by the lake was great

Lifeguard (Former Employee)

ProsReally fun , friendly atmosphere, great campouts under the stars

ConsIt's in the middle of nowhere, half an hour to the nearest town and not very picturesque. Not a huge amount to do on days off in Kansas. Other camps in Pennsylvania had far more options for weekend trips and relaxation, and allowed far more nights out, allowing more bonding off work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep building, try to create more for the older kids to enjoy other than just training to become a staff member.

Nice place, shame about the people

ProsThe beach is pretty awesome, and there are a lot of activities which the kids do seem to really enjoy.

ConsThe staff are treated horribly for the campers to have a good time. There's a bunch of things they don't tell you about before you arrive, like black widow spiders, poisonous snakes, a serious lack of sleep and time off, and picking up over two hundred dead fish from the bay. But whatever, gotta 'put your camp face on and remember to make sure the campers have a good time'. Wouldn't recommend working for these people, I'm pretty sure a lot of what goes on is against ACA regulations, and maybe even the law. Some of the people are awesome, and some are alright, but a lot of them are backstabbing, liars, and generally make the job more of a chore. It's a horrible job, don't be fooled by pretty adverts and promises.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest in the job description, don't 'forget' to include a lot of the extra things staff have to do.

Great place to work

Director (Current Employee) Newcastle, Down, Northern Ireland

ProsGreat opportunities to grow, explore your youth work practice and ask questions.

If you ask questions and develop proactive plans you will be empowered by the CEO to make necessary changes.

ConsSomewhat unorganized practice at all levels

Great staff, opportunities and facilities

Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) Lincoln, England

ProsStaff help to develop you as both a person and professional. Opportunities are offered to improve CV and skills base

ConsLack of equipment to compete with other big gyms but this is a charity gym

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to invest a little more in equipment for gym. Keep up the good work otherwise

It has been a very positive experience. Must be in the position to give back to your community.

Director (Current Employee)

ProsThe ability to feel like you've made a major contribution in strengthening your community. Great relationship building environment. One of the best retirement plans.

ConsNon-profit wages/salary. Long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not forget to evaluate your staff as well as provide non-monetary incentives.

Passionate co-workers, organized, flexible

Director of Aquatics (Current Employee)

ProsGreat company values and coworkers, very good retirement pension plan if you are a salaried staff member, decent health insurance plan, free membership for self and family, flexible work schedule.

ConsI can not think of any at this time.

Child Care Provider

Childcare (Current Employee) Joplin, MO (US)

ProsI loved the people I worked with and it was a great working environment. I would recommend working here to anyone.

ConsYou get assigned shifts to work and those are the shifts you work, making it pretty difficult to trade shifts.

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!