YMCA

3.6
1,540 Reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 173 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 76 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at YMCA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fantastic job, I always loved going to work. A fun and varied role I would recommend it to every one.

Cons

Sometimes the staff are not very supportive and there wasn't much training given. I wasn't aware of any chances to progress.

Highlight progression opportunities.

Great place to work

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly staff, great training opportunities, loads of opportunities to get involved, a culture of saying thank you, easy access to managers, good range of benefits, lots of different jobs throughout the city and county. Most staff are really committed, keen to do well and welcoming to new people.
    Senior managers are really committed to ensuring we meet our mission and everyone knows where they fit into achieving our goals.
    Fantastic place to work!

Cons

In some areas the pay isn't great but we know that is because of funding etc. The lack of funding can also mean we don't always get the equipment that we need but staff and managers always try their best and are very good at improvising etc

Keep on telling us about any changes and if possible consider increasing salaries across the whole workforce.

Fun

I worked at YMCA

Pros

Sociable good hours good pay

Cons

Not profit office culture time off

NA

great place to work

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

People are very friendly to wokl with

Cons

requre a lot of travelling

Great and satisfying experience

Former Employee - Ymca Shop Assistant in Chorley, England
    Former Employee - Ymca Shop Assistant in Chorley, England

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, working environments and flexible hours on submission

Cons

always dealing with the public in store.

Lifeguarding by the lake was great

Former Employee - Lifeguard
    Former Employee - Lifeguard

I worked at YMCA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really fun , friendly atmosphere, great campouts under the stars

Cons

It's in the middle of nowhere, half an hour to the nearest town and not very picturesque. Not a huge amount to do on days off in Kansas. Other camps in Pennsylvania had far more options for weekend trips and relaxation, and allowed far more nights out, allowing more bonding off work.

Keep building, try to create more for the older kids to enjoy other than just training to become a staff member.

Nice place, shame about the people

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

The beach is pretty awesome, and there are a lot of activities which the kids do seem to really enjoy.

Cons

The staff are treated horribly for the campers to have a good time. There's a bunch of things they don't tell you about before you arrive, like black widow spiders, poisonous snakes, a serious lack of sleep and time off, and picking up over two hundred dead fish from the bay. But whatever, gotta 'put your camp face on and remember to make sure the campers have a good time'. Wouldn't recommend working for these people, I'm pretty sure a lot of what goes on is against ACA regulations, and maybe even the law. Some of the people are awesome, and some are alright, but a lot of them are backstabbing, liars, and generally make the job more of a chore. It's a horrible job, don't be fooled by pretty adverts and promises.

Be honest in the job description, don't 'forget' to include a lot of the extra things staff have to do.

Current Employee - Director in Newcastle, Down, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - Director in Newcastle, Down, Northern Ireland

I have been working at YMCA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great opportunities to grow, explore your youth work practice and ask questions.

If you ask questions and develop proactive plans you will be empowered by the CEO to make necessary changes.

Cons

Somewhat unorganized practice at all levels

Great staff, opportunities and facilities

Current Employee - Fitness Instructor in Lincoln, England
    Current Employee - Fitness Instructor in Lincoln, England

I have been working at YMCA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Staff help to develop you as both a person and professional. Opportunities are offered to improve CV and skills base

Cons

Lack of equipment to compete with other big gyms but this is a charity gym

Look to invest a little more in equipment for gym. Keep up the good work otherwise

Employment Resources Employment Assistant

I worked at YMCA

Pros

people there are friendly. You can make a lot of friends and learn multi-culture there.

Cons

limited career development. you cannt get much useful working experience in my position.