YMCA

Updated Aug 01, 2014

3.5 1,279 reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll

Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 150 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 62 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights
1,279 Employee Reviews

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunity for internal growth

ConsPay is not the greatest since it is a non profit

Wonderful company to work for, full of passionate people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPassionate people, good communication between employees and supervisors. I felt like I was valued as an employee and there was always an open door policy with all of the directors and supervisors.

ConsI worked in the summer camp which can get hectic because sometimes there are too many kids and not enough counselors, do to people being out sick or on field trips, etc.

Great place to work, but not much pay!

Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) Greenville, SC (US)

ProsLifeguarding and interacting with the people is great, the hours are flexible, and I had good fellow employees. The YMCA supports a positive work environment and community outreach, which is great.

ConsThey pay isn't very good, but it's a fun job while in college.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow swim instructors to make more money from the lessons rather than keeping much of the profits for the YMCA.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Cause

ProsFriendly staff, laid back environment, set schedules allowing for consistency and ease of scheduling things around work. Fun and interesting atmosphere are a plus as well.

ConsSometimes organization is a little too laid back and things either don't get communicated, or they don't get communicated effectively. Disorganization can also lead to the need to have to "wing" certain activities which can be frustrating to both the employees and the members. The pay is low and you don't really receive any raises, so incentive to remain there long term is minimal if you're needing a higher income, but the missions and values of the company are admirable.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider how decisions impact the staff as well as the members. It can sometimes feel as though management is only working to favor the members and not focusing on caring for the staff. Actions speak louder than words, and when you say you appreciate the staff and go on about how valuable we are, it doesn't seem very genuine when it isn't backed up back any action.

Rewarding and building

Aquatics Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsOffered a lot of personal growth and development. Overall culture was great with lots of emphasis on team building and challenging eachother

ConsWages are not stellar but reasonable for a non-profit. Opportunity for wage increase with frequent reviews and good performance

Working as a lifeguard inside with generic ymca patrons

Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) Clemmons, NC (US)

Prosfree gym membership, short shifts

Conspoor air quality, unhappy water fitness women, short shifts

Great people and environment

YMCA Lifeguard (Current Employee) North Attleboro, MA (US)

ProsEveryone was there for a good reason

ConsThere were not too many cons

Advice to Senior ManagementWe were not paid as much as other lifeguards

Great learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people, fun atmosphere, very diverse place to work. Always something new everyday

ConsNot a place to work if you don't like children. Growth can be a problem if you aren't willing to move locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementEducating the staff on their 401k options

This branch of the YMCA was my first job, familiarized me with working schedules and what it is like to educate youth.

YMCA Youth Counselor (Former Employee) Long Beach, CA (US)

ProsI enjoyed working at the youth institute because it challenged me socially. I have always been a part of the YMCA, therefore having the chance to work there really allowed me to experience how I as program staff am looked up to by the program students. This is a summer job and therefore seasonal But the experience was great. Upon interviewing you, you must watch a series of videos about working with children online and complete a follow up questionnaire which takes a while but is pretty straight forward. after that you. they then ask you situational questions on how to handle conflicts with the students or their parents. You are required to take a drug test at your choice of location promptly after, and then you go through a series of training.

What is different about this branch is that you are working specifically with high-school aged students in a media arts environment. no matter which site they place you at, you are required as staff to attend a week long wilderness retreat where you run individual camps with a team of staff as well as bond with the group of student you will be working with. It is a good idea to have some knowledge in experience with media programs such as photoshop, music, or video editing programs on apple software but lack of that knowledge won't hinder you. The students are there to learn about what it feels like to have a job and also create individual short films. Working here is worth it if you like kids because you are sure to bond with some of them and they will look up to you for advice.

This job is great for networking as their are opportunities to build relationships with large partners and supporters of the YMCA. It is also worth your time because you get a lot from building relationships with your co-workers.

ConsThis job pays minimum wage and requires you to take up a lot of responsibility. You are looking at a lot of hours during the wilderness retreat and are responsible or the safety of the students. Friendliness and familiarity may give you oerks with the managers

Wellness Coach

Wellness Coach (Former Employee) Louisville, KY (US)

ProsGreat opportunity to meet new people and really help those trying to get healthier.

ConsThe pay could be better

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!