YMCA Reviews

3.6
1,380 Reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 150 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 62 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

YMCA is a great organization to work for.

I have been working at YMCA part-time

Pros

YMCA is a fun environment that is family friendly, professional, and comforting. The people are some of the best you will meet.

Cons

There is a lot of inconsistency in the way the organization operates, especially for individual Y's. It can make for some frustrating expectations.

Great company that provides very beneficial programs in fitness and sports. The YMCA also does a great job giving back

Current Employee - Program Specialist  in  Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I have been working at YMCA part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very active job. I am on my feet working with sports or preparing for sports related work. Interact with a lot of people, youth to adult. Get to take part in a company that helps out the surrounding community. Flexible hours for part timers like myself. The office culture at my branch is awesome, I have gotten to know a number of my coworkers while working.

Cons

The pay is less than great. When officiating soccer games, you are paid hourly rate while if you worked through the state high school association or other club associations you would get a per game fee which would be significantly higher. Deal with disgruntled parents, often outside of the sports field as well. Corporate does a good job of making our job on the front lines more difficult "improving" the process.

Talk with the lower level employees more before making association wide decisions. Weigh their opinion heavily too, we are most affected by changes made regarding registration procedure. You do not get to talk with disgruntled parents, we do.

Great culture, great location, great people.

I have been working at YMCA full-time

Pros

Lots of fantastic, down to Earth people to work with. Great vacation benefits. You really feel as though the mission works through the management and employees. They genuinely are about what they are doing in every department.

Cons

Health benefits are not great, not a lot of opportunity for advancement. Great training but not always a place to apply it.

Focus on giving people a path to work towards career wise, I think turn over would be less and you'd get more out of your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A worthy cause!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at YMCA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people that believe in the Y's mission.

Cons

Low compensation is causing a high turn-over rate which hurts their programs.

Work on retention, this will improve program participation and membership growth. Stop promoting membership discounts and give-aways and focus on keeping your great people and developing those health and wellness programs that our nation needs.

Child Care-Counselor

Former Employee - Camp Counselor  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at YMCA as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing people to work for the YMCA. It is a great place to utilize your skills and experience and they embody their mission and vision statement. The people are very kind and energetic.

Cons

There are no negatives that can be expressed for the YMCA. It is a great place to work.

A fantastic time getting to know the members and staff. Friendly environment and tight-knit community.

Former Employee - Maintenance  in  East Greenville, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Maintenance in East Greenville, PA (US)

I worked at YMCA part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great staff and management that is forgiving and really looks out for the employees. Great work-life balance where conversation with members is encouraged. Definitely a job for a more extroverted person. On top of all of this is free membership to the YMCA that you work at. This is one of the better perks any job can offer.

Cons

You have to renew and receive certification daily and when required. There is not much upward motion or growth as far as learning new job duties. Some of the duties become mundane.

Exciting

Former Employee - Office Administrative  in  Killeen, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Office Administrative in Killeen, TX (US)

I worked at YMCA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meeting people and planning activities and events for kids and teenagers

Cons

Having to constantly organize schedules from day to day

I am a seasoned worker

Great place to start out

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I have been working at YMCA part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, organized environment, friendly staff

Cons

The promotions may be difficult

Keep up the good work

Intense learning experience

Former Employee - Program Director
    Former Employee - Program Director

I worked at YMCA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Huge opportunities for growth, training, and career advancement if your motivated. Great employee perks and retirement.

Cons

Not a cookie cutter job, you must be willing to do a little of everything. Mediocre pay.

Great experience, great focus on child development and family friendly clients.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Burlington Township, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Burlington Township, NJ (US)

I worked at YMCA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is great considering the flexible hours as a trainer. Great people join the Y and they are willing to become personal training clients if you establish a good relationship with them,

Cons

A higher compensationwould make this place ideal.

Benefits aren't as good as they could be.

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!