Yelp

Updated 25 November 2014
3.6

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Environment is cool, free food all day, young staff (if that's what you're into) (in 36 reviews)

• fun people, dress however you want, unlimited free food and drinks (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 21 reviews)

• Terrible work/life balance if you care about your job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, easy internship in social media and community management!

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in London, England

I worked at Yelp as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Fun office culture.
    - Creativity is appreciated.
    - Flexible hours.
    - Great way to get to know a new city through your job.

Cons

- No office orientation or training, tough to get to know people.
    - Interns don't get passes, so I had to be rung up every time I came to the office.
    - The hourly rate for interns doesn't meet the London living wage.
    - The company said that they legally "couldn't" renew my contract past one term. To my surprise, my replacement was there for two terms. Either they found a loophole in the "law" or I was terminated without cause. I didn't push the issue because it was a (below) minimum wage job outside of my field. I guess it worked out since I freelance for the company now.

- Mandatory orientation. Yes it's annoying for everyone involved, but at least you'll all know each other's names.
    - Pay your interns the London living wage of £8.55, not the national minimum wage of £6.19.

Great people, tough gig

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people, The office, The training

Cons

-Overly intense and unrealistic targets

Seems like a fun place to work, but stay away

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

free food, music, casual clothes, fun young office

Cons

success depends on your territory. you're only as liked as your latest revenue figures. lots of favouritism. mgt are young so can be quite catty and unprofesstional. cliquey.

be more professional. don't act like a 15 year old. Don't sing and dance around the office

Working at Yelp UK

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at Yelp for about 7 months. It was incredibly exciting in the beginning. Yelp was just starting out in the UK and the atmosphere was great.
    You got:
    - excellent training.
    - fun, young colleagues
    - free food, the beer keg!

Cons

However, all the free bagels and hummus could not make me work there again.
    What initially started out as an exciting and rewarding experience soon turned into a bit off a nightmare.

It is essentially a telephone sales role. How you do depends on the territory you get so if you luck out on this it all goes down hill.

You work with great people who tend to disappear one by one. Initially they were fired for not meeting expectations (at this point quite unrealistic sales expectation as Yelp was a new product in the UK that no one had heard of) but eventually we started leaving in droves. Some of my friends left without even having another job to go to they were so desperate. It became taboo to talk about those who had left so many a lunchtime conversation was spoken in hushed tones.

The reason: THE PRESSURE! so much pressure, the managers would walk up and down the office making announcements about how if we didn't make a deal in the next hour we should just pack up and leave. Constant threats of being fired means that there's this atmosphere of panic and just downright depression.

I think the managers need some serious further training. Managers were young and didn't really now how to ...welll...manage people! If someone was not doing well there were instances when the manager would try to help out and give advice but this was only if you got a good manager.

Mostly, the managers focused their attention on those who were doing well and isolated those who weren't and made them feel like second class citizens due to performance.

Lower expectations! It's a new product in the UK..not many small businesses have heard of you. You need a new appraoch or at least need to be open and flexible to hearing other opinions. Charging into a new market saying 'yeah! Yelp's awesome!" We don't need to advertise we have a more organic growth' is not the smart way forward.

Value your employees - treating them like they are disposable does not improve morale.

Best entry-level Job you can ask for

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

From edgy start-up to one of the coolest companies in tech, Yelp is owning the local search scene around the world making the job WAY easier as time went on - the product/company had a lot more name recognition by the time I left compared to when I started. Culture is awesome, people are awesome, beers are on tap, kitchens stocked with food (not just snacks, you can literally eat breakfast and lunch there), and everyone generally wants to succeed and have a good time. It's hard not to get into it, especially considering you're selling an app that's actually pretty fun and was originally geared toward interesting people who go out a lot. The difference is that people (biz owners and consumers) have a real need for this kinda stuff, so I always felt great about selling it.

Cons

The company is growing aggressively - from just a couple floors when I started to 4 additional floors and a brand new office waiting to get moved into by the time I left, the place definitely churns people in and out. Not necessarily a bad thing but they may want to slow the growth down a bit and concentrate on hiring stellar reps who retain the company culture instead of a bunch of mass hires and clueless drones walking around.

RAISE YOUR BASE SALARY!!! Its actually shocking how little you make when you start (36K will not get you very far in NYC or SF). Commission should start right away like most other sales jobs (not after like 4 months or however long you take to get there). It eventually starts paying competitively to the industry by the time you're there for a year, but still..a year? Just bumping everyone's base up one level would do wonders to the morale of a lot of people who would be happy to do the work otherwise - it's just really hard living in a big expensive city with student loans. Top level execs (like Jeremy the CEO) are known to be stingy - my advice to Jeremy would be to stop concentrating so much money on markets like Germany and Argentina right now and start paying more money to your employee backbone and more attention to your backyard.. Who cares if someone in Brazil knows about Yelp if nobody in Kansas does.. Don't spread yourselves to thin!

Account Executive

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

The office is very fun.

Cons

Cold calling is a drag.

Software Engineering Intern

I have been working at Yelp as an intern

Pros

friendly, sociable, nice, challenging, amazing

Cons

I had to put a lot of time into my work

Great environment! Positivity makes the job!

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing onboarding training! Almost like youre back in college. They really make it so you can not fail. This is definitely worth the risk of hating a desk job. The positive energy helps you everyday. trust the process!

Cons

It is a cold calling job. So you will get down almost everyday, but you gotta pick yourself back up, dont let the negative energy hit you through the phone. keep going, and trust the process

Great place to learn the basics of online advertising, terrible place to work.

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You'll learn a lot about the basics of online advertising, but not much else. Good health benefits. Freee (unhealthy) food. Good location. Fun atmosphere. Great stepping stone as they're known as slave drivers - if you last for a year you'll get respect in the industry.

Cons

You're a glorified telemarketer (and paid like one) with a fancy degree. The only college experience I used was how I learned to schmooze in my sorority. If you stay more than a year in the account exec position, you're not doing your career any favors unless you want to be a telemarketer or local salesperson.

It's demeaning and drone-like work. The most miserable job I've had. A bunch of kids with too much responsibility pretending they can run a company. The CEO hooks up with employees. It was like a coed fraternity that took themselves far too seriously. They try to brainwash you into thinking working there was the best thing that every happened to you.

Yelp Review

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very positive environment. Relaxed work style. Relatively small engineering body so impact is high. There is no corporate ladder, there are only engineers, managers, CTO, CEO. Overall it's a great place to work.

Cons

They don't serve breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The stock is not doing that well. There doesn't seem to be a lot of growth or excitement.