Yelp

Updated 11 December 2014
3.6

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Environment is cool, free food all day, young staff (if that's what you're into) (in 36 reviews)

• fun people, dress however you want, unlimited free food and drinks (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 21 reviews)

• Terrible work/life balance if you care about your job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, easy internship in social media and community management!

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in London, England

I worked at Yelp as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Fun office culture.
    - Creativity is appreciated.
    - Flexible hours.
    - Great way to get to know a new city through your job.

Cons

- No office orientation or training, tough to get to know people.
    - Interns don't get passes, so I had to be rung up every time I came to the office.
    - The hourly rate for interns doesn't meet the London living wage.
    - The company said that they legally "couldn't" renew my contract past one term. To my surprise, my replacement was there for two terms. Either they found a loophole in the "law" or I was terminated without cause. I didn't push the issue because it was a (below) minimum wage job outside of my field. I guess it worked out since I freelance for the company now.

- Mandatory orientation. Yes it's annoying for everyone involved, but at least you'll all know each other's names.
    - Pay your interns the London living wage of £8.55, not the national minimum wage of £6.19.

Great people, tough gig

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people, The office, The training

Cons

-Overly intense and unrealistic targets

Seems like a fun place to work, but stay away

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

free food, music, casual clothes, fun young office

Cons

success depends on your territory. you're only as liked as your latest revenue figures. lots of favouritism. mgt are young so can be quite catty and unprofesstional. cliquey.

be more professional. don't act like a 15 year old. Don't sing and dance around the office

Working at Yelp UK

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at Yelp for about 7 months. It was incredibly exciting in the beginning. Yelp was just starting out in the UK and the atmosphere was great.
    You got:
    - excellent training.
    - fun, young colleagues
    - free food, the beer keg!

Cons

However, all the free bagels and hummus could not make me work there again.
    What initially started out as an exciting and rewarding experience soon turned into a bit off a nightmare.

It is essentially a telephone sales role. How you do depends on the territory you get so if you luck out on this it all goes down hill.

You work with great people who tend to disappear one by one. Initially they were fired for not meeting expectations (at this point quite unrealistic sales expectation as Yelp was a new product in the UK that no one had heard of) but eventually we started leaving in droves. Some of my friends left without even having another job to go to they were so desperate. It became taboo to talk about those who had left so many a lunchtime conversation was spoken in hushed tones.

The reason: THE PRESSURE! so much pressure, the managers would walk up and down the office making announcements about how if we didn't make a deal in the next hour we should just pack up and leave. Constant threats of being fired means that there's this atmosphere of panic and just downright depression.

I think the managers need some serious further training. Managers were young and didn't really now how to ...welll...manage people! If someone was not doing well there were instances when the manager would try to help out and give advice but this was only if you got a good manager.

Mostly, the managers focused their attention on those who were doing well and isolated those who weren't and made them feel like second class citizens due to performance.

Lower expectations! It's a new product in the UK..not many small businesses have heard of you. You need a new appraoch or at least need to be open and flexible to hearing other opinions. Charging into a new market saying 'yeah! Yelp's awesome!" We don't need to advertise we have a more organic growth' is not the smart way forward.

Value your employees - treating them like they are disposable does not improve morale.

Best entry-level Job you can ask for

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

From edgy start-up to one of the coolest companies in tech, Yelp is owning the local search scene around the world making the job WAY easier as time went on - the product/company had a lot more name recognition by the time I left compared to when I started. Culture is awesome, people are awesome, beers are on tap, kitchens stocked with food (not just snacks, you can literally eat breakfast and lunch there), and everyone generally wants to succeed and have a good time. It's hard not to get into it, especially considering you're selling an app that's actually pretty fun and was originally geared toward interesting people who go out a lot. The difference is that people (biz owners and consumers) have a real need for this kinda stuff, so I always felt great about selling it.

Cons

The company is growing aggressively - from just a couple floors when I started to 4 additional floors and a brand new office waiting to get moved into by the time I left, the place definitely churns people in and out. Not necessarily a bad thing but they may want to slow the growth down a bit and concentrate on hiring stellar reps who retain the company culture instead of a bunch of mass hires and clueless drones walking around.

RAISE YOUR BASE SALARY!!! Its actually shocking how little you make when you start (36K will not get you very far in NYC or SF). Commission should start right away like most other sales jobs (not after like 4 months or however long you take to get there). It eventually starts paying competitively to the industry by the time you're there for a year, but still..a year? Just bumping everyone's base up one level would do wonders to the morale of a lot of people who would be happy to do the work otherwise - it's just really hard living in a big expensive city with student loans. Top level execs (like Jeremy the CEO) are known to be stingy - my advice to Jeremy would be to stop concentrating so much money on markets like Germany and Argentina right now and start paying more money to your employee backbone and more attention to your backyard.. Who cares if someone in Brazil knows about Yelp if nobody in Kansas does.. Don't spread yourselves to thin!

One stop shop for any size business

Current Employee - Director of Social Media in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Social Media in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great stable company from A-Z too many pros to name off. Fast paced customer service orientated company designed for any size business.

Cons

Nothing bad to comment about this company. My experience has been all positive and beneficial in all areas inside and out.

Great Job Very Knowledgeable

Yelp is an amazing company. Surprisingly intimate considering how fast it is growing.

Current Employee - Account Executive Sales
    Current Employee - Account Executive Sales

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

Best Sales Training Program in the Bay Area!
    Energetic environment.
    Kind and talented coworkers; some of the brightest around!
    Opportunity for advancement in in sales-team management.
    Opportunity to learn from peers and share ideas.
    Ability to own personal development and work independently while having the support of a team!
    Good benefits.
    Ethical agenda.
    Senior Management hosts meetings monthly with local sales teams to garner feedback. VERY COOL!
    CEO communicates with employees in the form of fun videos.
    Learning and development tools.

Cons

High turn-over due to burnout. You can really feel how the sales environment is about turning and burning employees who might only stick around long enough until it looks good enough on a resume. Turning and burning of territories.
    Low Salary - nearly impossible to balance: rent in (pricy) San Francisco, student loan payments, car payment (should I just sell it), groceries, transportation etc.
    Short sales cycle.
    Less emphasis placed on consultative sales stye, more emphasis placed on steam roll closes.
    Managers not always promoted according merit/coaching abilities, but politics or bottom line sales numbers.
    Lots of Kool-Aid drinking and and pouring by management. Sometimes get the feeling that management is trying to "sell you" on an idea.

Yelp's floor directors are pretty amazing. They seem to know what they are doing and they are willing to help if/when issues arise. They are also up for a cup of coffee if you just want to get to know them!

Good but hard

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I hear a lot of negative commentary on Yelp's sales org. There's no doubt it's a grind, but if you're willing to put in the effort and maintain a positive attitude, it is worth it. The people are great, the culture is young and fun, the benefits are good (ESPP!) and the beer is plentiful.

Cons

Compensation has changed a lot over the years, but it's still hard to ramp up. The first 6 months were pretty brutal but once you get in a rhythm, it picks up.

Not what it's cracked up to be

Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay incentives
    Great company culture
    Very intensive training

Cons

Pretty much just cold calls. Gets old FAST

Community Management and Marketing

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

The flexibility is amazing - most days I work offsite from lovely cafes. The hours are not fixed - just as long as you get things done.

Cons

Yelp is less structural compared to most companies. Though you still have your seniors supporting you, it's a very self-learning job.