Yelp

Yelp Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman

Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Fun office culture with free food, offsite activities, young employees(in 25 reviews)

• free food and drinks, beer, very young laid back culture(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok(in 15 reviews)

• There tends to not be the best work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

Fun, easy internship in social media and community management!

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) London, England

Pros- Fun office culture.
    - Creativity is appreciated.
    - Flexible hours.
    - Great way to get to know a new city through your job.

Cons- No office orientation or training, tough to get to know people.
    - Interns don't get passes, so I had to be rung up every time I came to the office.
    - The hourly rate for interns doesn't meet the London living wage.
    - The company said that they legally "couldn't" renew my contract past one term. To my surprise, my replacement was there for two terms. Either they found a loophole in the "law" or I was terminated without cause. I didn't push the issue because it was a (below) minimum wage job outside of my field. I guess it worked out since I freelance for the company now.

Advice to Senior Management- Mandatory orientation. Yes it's annoying for everyone involved, but at least you'll all know each other's names.
    - Pay your interns the London living wage of £8.55, not the national minimum wage of £6.19.

Great people, tough gig

ProsThe people, The office, The training

Cons-Overly intense and unrealistic targets

Seems like a fun place to work, but stay away

Account Executive (Former Employee) London, England

Prosfree food, music, casual clothes, fun young office

Conssuccess depends on your territory. you're only as liked as your latest revenue figures. lots of favouritism. mgt are young so can be quite catty and unprofesstional. cliquey.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more professional. don't act like a 15 year old. Don't sing and dance around the office

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Yelp UK

Account Executive (Former Employee) London, England

ProsI worked at Yelp for about 7 months. It was incredibly exciting in the beginning. Yelp was just starting out in the UK and the atmosphere was great.
    You got:
    - excellent training.
    - fun, young colleagues
    - free food, the beer keg!

ConsHowever, all the free bagels and hummus could not make me work there again.
    What initially started out as an exciting and rewarding experience soon turned into a bit off a nightmare.

It is essentially a telephone sales role. How you do depends on the territory you get so if you luck out on this it all goes down hill.

You work with great people who tend to disappear one by one. Initially they were fired for not meeting expectations (at this point quite unrealistic sales expectation as Yelp was a new product in the UK that no one had heard of) but eventually we started leaving in droves. Some of my friends left without even having another job to go to they were so desperate. It became taboo to talk about those who had left so many a lunchtime conversation was spoken in hushed tones.

The reason: THE PRESSURE! so much pressure, the managers would walk up and down the office making announcements about how if we didn't make a deal in the next hour we should just pack up and leave. Constant threats of being fired means that there's this atmosphere of panic and just downright depression.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the managers need some serious further training. Managers were young and didn't really now how to ...welll...manage people! If someone was not doing well there were instances when the manager would try to help out and give advice but this was only if you got a good manager.

Mostly, the managers focused their attention on those who were doing well and isolated those who weren't and made them feel like second class citizens due to performance.

Lower expectations! It's a new product in the UK..not many small businesses have heard of you. You need a new appraoch or at least need to be open and flexible to hearing other opinions. Charging into a new market saying 'yeah! Yelp's awesome!" We don't need to advertise we have a more organic growth' is not the smart way forward.

Value your employees - treating them like they are disposable does not improve morale.

great experience, growing company

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsYelp treats their employees very well. Overall, there are a lot of opportunities and the company is growing as such as quick pace.

ConsThe ramp up period can be tough. The first 3 months are going to be a bit tough for your average sales person.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything is fine the way it is right now.

Great beginner company for corporate minded individuals

Junior Account Executive (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ (US)

ProsThey have amazing perks(free food, happy hour on friday, offsite team outings, give-a-ways, commission checks), The people who run the company really care about their employees happiness and success. They always work with you in trying to get you to that next level, and you're always very aware of where you stand.

ConsBeing an advertising salesman/woman. The day to day grind of cold calling prospective clients is taxing on anyone who has a conscience.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe very clear it's a cold-calling job. Give people relocating across the country more money to do so. Get the training process down a little bit better

Great Opportunity

Account Executive (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsUncapped income, competitive base salary, great culture! Growth is crazy fast and there are always opportunities for movement within the company!

ConsThe demographic is mostly young.. if you are over 25 you will feel old.

Great Experience and Growth

Account Executive (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ (US)

ProsBuild an understanding of business and advertising in a fast paced environment with excellent training for growth.

ConsLearn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok.

Amazing place to work if you excel in sales

Elite Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- You can make a lot of money if you put in some time and excel at the job
    - Yelp pays for food and offsite parties
    - selling ads to business owners is REALLY easy
    - As much time off as you want if you are a high producer
    - flexible hours
    - Most managers and directors are awesome

Cons- if you are not great at sales you wont make much money
    - company culture has gone way down since I started. The company is focusing on hiring aggressively and less on keeping current employees happy
    - Hiring very young managers. Most right out of college and only a year on the job
    - account managers are very poorly trained and overloaded with accounts you will close. This results in a lot of chargebacks with unhappy clients and money out of your pocket

Advice to Senior Management- Increase the standards for management hiring. There are high performing reps like myself with several years of leadership experience and the desire to manage a sales team that are being passed op by college kids. Hire leaders that will hold their reps accountable and be a boss not cheerleaders that want to be friends with their reps
    - Give account managers smaller books of business. They need to be trained on how to keep frustrated business owners happy, not just be there to cancel their program when the ads dont work

Great place to work

ProsCulture, Benefits, environment. You can't ask for more.

ConsIt is still a very difficult job, but that's not necessarily a con.

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!