Yelp Reviews

Updated 16 September 2014
3.7

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Fun office culture with free food, offsite activities, young employees (in 26 reviews)

• free food and drinks, beer, very young laid back culture (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 15 reviews)

• There tends to not be the best work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, easy internship in social media and community management!

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in London, England

I worked at Yelp as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Fun office culture.
    - Creativity is appreciated.
    - Flexible hours.
    - Great way to get to know a new city through your job.

Cons

- No office orientation or training, tough to get to know people.
    - Interns don't get passes, so I had to be rung up every time I came to the office.
    - The hourly rate for interns doesn't meet the London living wage.
    - The company said that they legally "couldn't" renew my contract past one term. To my surprise, my replacement was there for two terms. Either they found a loophole in the "law" or I was terminated without cause. I didn't push the issue because it was a (below) minimum wage job outside of my field. I guess it worked out since I freelance for the company now.

- Mandatory orientation. Yes it's annoying for everyone involved, but at least you'll all know each other's names.
    - Pay your interns the London living wage of £8.55, not the national minimum wage of £6.19.

Great people, tough gig

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people, The office, The training

Cons

-Overly intense and unrealistic targets

Seems like a fun place to work, but stay away

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

free food, music, casual clothes, fun young office

Cons

success depends on your territory. you're only as liked as your latest revenue figures. lots of favouritism. mgt are young so can be quite catty and unprofesstional. cliquey.

be more professional. don't act like a 15 year old. Don't sing and dance around the office

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Yelp UK

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked at Yelp for about 7 months. It was incredibly exciting in the beginning. Yelp was just starting out in the UK and the atmosphere was great.
    You got:
    - excellent training.
    - fun, young colleagues
    - free food, the beer keg!

Cons

However, all the free bagels and hummus could not make me work there again.
    What initially started out as an exciting and rewarding experience soon turned into a bit off a nightmare.

It is essentially a telephone sales role. How you do depends on the territory you get so if you luck out on this it all goes down hill.

You work with great people who tend to disappear one by one. Initially they were fired for not meeting expectations (at this point quite unrealistic sales expectation as Yelp was a new product in the UK that no one had heard of) but eventually we started leaving in droves. Some of my friends left without even having another job to go to they were so desperate. It became taboo to talk about those who had left so many a lunchtime conversation was spoken in hushed tones.

The reason: THE PRESSURE! so much pressure, the managers would walk up and down the office making announcements about how if we didn't make a deal in the next hour we should just pack up and leave. Constant threats of being fired means that there's this atmosphere of panic and just downright depression.

I think the managers need some serious further training. Managers were young and didn't really now how to ...welll...manage people! If someone was not doing well there were instances when the manager would try to help out and give advice but this was only if you got a good manager.

Mostly, the managers focused their attention on those who were doing well and isolated those who weren't and made them feel like second class citizens due to performance.

Lower expectations! It's a new product in the UK..not many small businesses have heard of you. You need a new appraoch or at least need to be open and flexible to hearing other opinions. Charging into a new market saying 'yeah! Yelp's awesome!" We don't need to advertise we have a more organic growth' is not the smart way forward.

Value your employees - treating them like they are disposable does not improve morale.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Comfortable office enviroment
    Nice people
    Bright future

Cons

Current headquarter is a little bit compact.

Excellent

Current Employee - Software Engineer (Web Developer)  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer (Web Developer) in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

This was an exciting experience. The training was quality and the job had a very social environment. The upper-level management does its best to boost morale and keep their employees happy by providing food and a unique culture.

Cons

I didn't experience too many challenges.

Keep it up

Awesome Peers, Very Shaky Management

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

The peers you work with are awesome. You get to instantly make a lot of friends that are young and eager to work. Training is a great asset to my future

Cons

The management is terrible. Floor managers are for the most part garbage. They are young and inexperienced. A lot of inner work relationships and are very clicky on the high level. Not transparent at all.

Higher older people to manage your young staff. Why would you hire managers after one year of work experience? Why would you hire 26 year old to manage people from the ages of 22-45 years old. Pay your top producers more. You are losing out on keeping top producers because your pay structure is weak at best. If you wanted to grow within, maybe not hire 50 people every month... People quit because they are not getting paid and can go somewhere else very quickly.

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

The sales training is great for an entry level salesperson to learn the basics of how to cold call. They provide free snacks, drinks and beer.

Cons

It's a stressful work environment that doesn't pay well. They give you left over leads while the warm ones (businesses that are interested in signing up) to the senior sales people.

Best work experience I have ever had.

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

The team orientated culture and the willingness of the managers to come to your aid

Cons

The only thing that makes this job bad is the fact its cold calling

Keep doing everything the way you are.

Great place to start

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

The obvious pros come to mind initially - fun environment, free kitchens, unlimited redbull. I think the biggest pro for me is the experience and the training. Because of this job I feel confident going into any interview or high pressure work situation. It teaches you a lot about yourself and what motivates you!

Cons

30K initially is not that much money. Sales is hard and you have to be able to deal with rejection daily. A lot of people get caught up in comparing themselves to others.

Don't forget about the people in the middle. I think it's easy to pay a lot of attention to those doing really well and those struggling and everyone else can get lost.

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!