Yelp

Updated 29 January 2015
3.5

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Environment is cool, free food all day, young staff (if that's what you're into) (in 36 reviews)

• fun people, dress however you want, unlimited free food and drinks (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 21 reviews)

• Terrible work/life balance if you care about your job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Great Spot to Start a Career

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Growth internally and around the world, culture, management truly cares about you. Great training and a solid place to gain fundamental skills for your career. Work life balance is a major plus.

Cons

Growth can make you feel like a small fish in a big pond.

Fun, easy internship in social media and community management!

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in London, England

I worked at Yelp as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Fun office culture.
    - Creativity is appreciated.
    - Flexible hours.
    - Great way to get to know a new city through your job.

Cons

- No office orientation or training, tough to get to know people.
    - Interns don't get passes, so I had to be rung up every time I came to the office.
    - The hourly rate for interns doesn't meet the London living wage.
    - The company said that they legally "couldn't" renew my contract past one term. To my surprise, my replacement was there for two terms. Either they found a loophole in the "law" or I was terminated without cause. I didn't push the issue because it was a (below) minimum wage job outside of my field. I guess it worked out since I freelance for the company now.

- Mandatory orientation. Yes it's annoying for everyone involved, but at least you'll all know each other's names.
    - Pay your interns the London living wage of £8.55, not the national minimum wage of £6.19.

A good first job, but not many prospects

Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in London, England
    Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in London, England

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gain valuable experience being trained by incredible sales people. Can make it what you want, as long as you have a positive attitude.

Cons

Only bring in new business. Office was so unprofessional that it seemed like you were in school. No autonomy whatsoever in day to day. High turnover due to lack of opportunities within the company. Focus on hitting daily metrics.

Be more transparent.

Tough gig selling a service when many dont know the brand

I worked at Yelp

Pros

Great bunch of people including managment
    Great training and intro to telesales... if you make sales here you can probably make sales most places

Cons

Not many hitting targets
    Expect to make 80 calls a day to busy small business owners

Spend money on advertising Yelp itself so people will know about it!

Great people, tough gig

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people, The office, The training

Cons

-Overly intense and unrealistic targets

Seems like a fun place to work, but stay away

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

free food, music, casual clothes, fun young office

Cons

success depends on your territory. you're only as liked as your latest revenue figures. lots of favouritism. mgt are young so can be quite catty and unprofesstional. cliquey.

be more professional. don't act like a 15 year old. Don't sing and dance around the office

Working at Yelp UK

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked at Yelp for about 7 months. It was incredibly exciting in the beginning. Yelp was just starting out in the UK and the atmosphere was great.
    You got:
    - excellent training.
    - fun, young colleagues
    - free food, the beer keg!

Cons

However, all the free bagels and hummus could not make me work there again.
    What initially started out as an exciting and rewarding experience soon turned into a bit off a nightmare.

It is essentially a telephone sales role. How you do depends on the territory you get so if you luck out on this it all goes down hill.

You work with great people who tend to disappear one by one. Initially they were fired for not meeting expectations (at this point quite unrealistic sales expectation as Yelp was a new product in the UK that no one had heard of) but eventually we started leaving in droves. Some of my friends left without even having another job to go to they were so desperate. It became taboo to talk about those who had left so many a lunchtime conversation was spoken in hushed tones.

The reason: THE PRESSURE! so much pressure, the managers would walk up and down the office making announcements about how if we didn't make a deal in the next hour we should just pack up and leave. Constant threats of being fired means that there's this atmosphere of panic and just downright depression.

I think the managers need some serious further training. Managers were young and didn't really now how to ...welll...manage people! If someone was not doing well there were instances when the manager would try to help out and give advice but this was only if you got a good manager.

Mostly, the managers focused their attention on those who were doing well and isolated those who weren't and made them feel like second class citizens due to performance.

Lower expectations! It's a new product in the UK..not many small businesses have heard of you. You need a new appraoch or at least need to be open and flexible to hearing other opinions. Charging into a new market saying 'yeah! Yelp's awesome!" We don't need to advertise we have a more organic growth' is not the smart way forward.

Value your employees - treating them like they are disposable does not improve morale.

Tough sales atmosphere

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is great. There is always an awesome energy in the building with music bumping and people walking around the sales floor. Food is provided by the company, and you can grab snacks or drinks at anytime.
    The management structure is great, and they will always give you direct feedback. You can also compete for prizes as a top rep which helps to keep everyone motived.

Cons

Minimum of 80 calls a day can be really tough, but they set you up to succeed. You'll often be forced to push someone into signing a deal when they're not quite ready. This definitely is not a consultative sales position, and you will be forced to do whatever it takes to hit your number.

Make it easy to get to commission faster. I believe this was changed from 75K-30K so they're moving in the right direction.
    Also the territories can be extremely unbalanced, but I believe they've changed this as well!

Fun place to work, could be better pay

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Training, atmosphere, fun people, high energy

Cons

Pay, you need to drink the corporate koolaid

Dont sugar coate

Fun Job Opportunity

Former Employee - Marketing in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Yelp

Pros

Community involvement, local networking, big brand name with a lot of credibility

Cons

If you make a mistake(s), could take awhile to get back on Director's good graces.