Yelp Reviews

Updated 14 October 2014
3.7

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Environment is cool, free food all day, young staff (if that's what you're into) (in 32 reviews)

• Young minds at work, high energy, room for a lot of growth, stocked kitchen (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 19 reviews)

• Terrible work/life balance if you care about your job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, easy internship in social media and community management!

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in London, England

I worked at Yelp as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Fun office culture.
    - Creativity is appreciated.
    - Flexible hours.
    - Great way to get to know a new city through your job.

Cons

- No office orientation or training, tough to get to know people.
    - Interns don't get passes, so I had to be rung up every time I came to the office.
    - The hourly rate for interns doesn't meet the London living wage.
    - The company said that they legally "couldn't" renew my contract past one term. To my surprise, my replacement was there for two terms. Either they found a loophole in the "law" or I was terminated without cause. I didn't push the issue because it was a (below) minimum wage job outside of my field. I guess it worked out since I freelance for the company now.

- Mandatory orientation. Yes it's annoying for everyone involved, but at least you'll all know each other's names.
    - Pay your interns the London living wage of £8.55, not the national minimum wage of £6.19.

Great people, tough gig

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people, The office, The training

Cons

-Overly intense and unrealistic targets

Seems like a fun place to work, but stay away

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

free food, music, casual clothes, fun young office

Cons

success depends on your territory. you're only as liked as your latest revenue figures. lots of favouritism. mgt are young so can be quite catty and unprofesstional. cliquey.

be more professional. don't act like a 15 year old. Don't sing and dance around the office

Working at Yelp UK

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at Yelp for about 7 months. It was incredibly exciting in the beginning. Yelp was just starting out in the UK and the atmosphere was great.
    You got:
    - excellent training.
    - fun, young colleagues
    - free food, the beer keg!

Cons

However, all the free bagels and hummus could not make me work there again.
    What initially started out as an exciting and rewarding experience soon turned into a bit off a nightmare.

It is essentially a telephone sales role. How you do depends on the territory you get so if you luck out on this it all goes down hill.

You work with great people who tend to disappear one by one. Initially they were fired for not meeting expectations (at this point quite unrealistic sales expectation as Yelp was a new product in the UK that no one had heard of) but eventually we started leaving in droves. Some of my friends left without even having another job to go to they were so desperate. It became taboo to talk about those who had left so many a lunchtime conversation was spoken in hushed tones.

The reason: THE PRESSURE! so much pressure, the managers would walk up and down the office making announcements about how if we didn't make a deal in the next hour we should just pack up and leave. Constant threats of being fired means that there's this atmosphere of panic and just downright depression.

I think the managers need some serious further training. Managers were young and didn't really now how to ...welll...manage people! If someone was not doing well there were instances when the manager would try to help out and give advice but this was only if you got a good manager.

Mostly, the managers focused their attention on those who were doing well and isolated those who weren't and made them feel like second class citizens due to performance.

Lower expectations! It's a new product in the UK..not many small businesses have heard of you. You need a new appraoch or at least need to be open and flexible to hearing other opinions. Charging into a new market saying 'yeah! Yelp's awesome!" We don't need to advertise we have a more organic growth' is not the smart way forward.

Value your employees - treating them like they are disposable does not improve morale.

Challenging, fun environment with smart colleagues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers are smart, respectable individuals with a variety of backgrounds. Few people came from the same previous company-- or even the same industry, college, or major. This brings a lot of perspectives to the worktable and makes your water cooler conversations all the more interesting. The flat hierarchy of our work culture means everyone's ideas are heard and valued, and the team spirit of the organization is unrivaled. I also really respect the mission-driven aspects of the business-- our mission drives every business decision, and that's clear from the choices our facilities makes about being located in the middle of downtown SF (near tons of local businesses) to the engineering org's feature rollouts. The lean business model (in terms of perks and comp) can be a pro and a con, but I appreciate seeing that no dollar is wasted here (at least in the perks part).

Cons

Compensation for some roles isn't top of market, but is still fair and they hired a comp analyst to make adjustments moving forward (benefits of a growing company). Time off policy is lean but fair, though I wish for applicable teams there was more flexibility to work from home for those days when you're sick enough not to want to spread it around but not so sick you can't work at all. It's also unfortunate that the company hires a lot of immature people (particularly in sales, where they just need an army on the phone) who make mistakes that impact the whole company's perks and regulations (like beer privileges being limited after several people got drunk at work...Get it together, people!).

Improve mentorship programs across the company (seems great for engineering interns, but we should expand it... this could help solve the immature hires problem), better-support long-term employees (an extra 3-days of PTO after 2 years isn't an awesome incentive, but 5 days would be).

Love it if you're a competitive sales beast

Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Yelp is amazing for the culture and the people. You are selling a product that is (for the most part) nationally recognized in a highly competitive sales atmosphere. If you thrive in a fast paced, high volume cold calling, commission heavy sales structure, Yelp is for you!

Cons

Mid level management can sometimes be inexperienced, need to work on a more efficient commission structure, big business culture encroaching what used to be a 'start-up' feel office environment. If you are not a top performer (at least 150% of quota monthly) you will not make a lot of money.

Work on commission structure so chargebacks aren't as daunting for employees. More communication between Account Management team and Account Executives.

Great place for young professionals to gain work and sales experience

Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture, managers, supports local businesses, great work life balance, benefits are unreal, if you're doing well the sky is the limit

Cons

can be pretty frustrating if you're not getting to you number, if you start doing poorly it's tough to change things, the worse you do the less willing people are to help you out.

Difficult but rewarding.

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

Really great training. Amazing people, and getting a sale is absolutely exhilerating. This job teaches you how to speak with a wide variety of people from very different walks of life. It also helps you build a thicker skin. I came in being a pretty sensitive person, I often took things personally if people were angry or upset. Now I feel so much more confident in myself and my ability to find the root of a problem and build from there.

Cons

It is a lot of cold calling, you get hung up on a lot and people are not always happy to hear from you. It can be a little daunting some days but that goes back to what I said about learning how to let little things go. The business owners aren't mad at you, they get hundreds of calls a day, and are usually passionate about what they do. So yeah, you get people who might say something mean, or harsh, but it is what it is. You can't please everyone.

Be the rock for AE's. There are a lot of outside things going on and it helps when managers are doing more than making sure you hit your numbers.

Good experience, but definitely not for me, but would still recommend to a friend

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Yelp as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice and friendly work environment, lovely interior design, and you are allowed to work on nearly anything you want.

Cons

I'm somewhat anti-social and dislike big crowds, which didn't fit well with Yelp's extremely outgoing people. Also Yelp is not a huge cash cow, so there isn't nearly much money to go around compared to Dropbox or Google, although that's not the company's fault. I was paid pretty well for an intern, but I hear that the company's benefits package is weak. It seems much easier to get promoted here than in places like Google, though.

Also SF is expensive.

Great place to start a career, maybe not stay there forever. Good transition between college and a more corporate or professional position.

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Potential for growth, development for possible roles within yelp, fun environment, gym subsidy, full benefits, relocation bonus, fully stocked kitchens, fun events, music during the day, casual attire

Cons

Be on point everyday, selling a product that works really well for some clients but not so much for others, essentially being a glorified telemarketer, unless you're great, you make no money

Hire externally, managers are still too new to be leading large groups (some of them)