Yelp Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

3.7

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Fun office culture with free food, offsite activities, young employees (in 26 reviews)

• free food and drinks, beer, very young laid back culture (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 15 reviews)

• There tends to not be the best work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, easy internship in social media and community management!

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in London, England

I worked at Yelp as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Fun office culture.
    - Creativity is appreciated.
    - Flexible hours.
    - Great way to get to know a new city through your job.

Cons

- No office orientation or training, tough to get to know people.
    - Interns don't get passes, so I had to be rung up every time I came to the office.
    - The hourly rate for interns doesn't meet the London living wage.
    - The company said that they legally "couldn't" renew my contract past one term. To my surprise, my replacement was there for two terms. Either they found a loophole in the "law" or I was terminated without cause. I didn't push the issue because it was a (below) minimum wage job outside of my field. I guess it worked out since I freelance for the company now.

- Mandatory orientation. Yes it's annoying for everyone involved, but at least you'll all know each other's names.
    - Pay your interns the London living wage of £8.55, not the national minimum wage of £6.19.

Great people, tough gig

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people, The office, The training

Cons

-Overly intense and unrealistic targets

Seems like a fun place to work, but stay away

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

free food, music, casual clothes, fun young office

Cons

success depends on your territory. you're only as liked as your latest revenue figures. lots of favouritism. mgt are young so can be quite catty and unprofesstional. cliquey.

be more professional. don't act like a 15 year old. Don't sing and dance around the office

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Yelp UK

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked at Yelp for about 7 months. It was incredibly exciting in the beginning. Yelp was just starting out in the UK and the atmosphere was great.
    You got:
    - excellent training.
    - fun, young colleagues
    - free food, the beer keg!

Cons

However, all the free bagels and hummus could not make me work there again.
    What initially started out as an exciting and rewarding experience soon turned into a bit off a nightmare.

It is essentially a telephone sales role. How you do depends on the territory you get so if you luck out on this it all goes down hill.

You work with great people who tend to disappear one by one. Initially they were fired for not meeting expectations (at this point quite unrealistic sales expectation as Yelp was a new product in the UK that no one had heard of) but eventually we started leaving in droves. Some of my friends left without even having another job to go to they were so desperate. It became taboo to talk about those who had left so many a lunchtime conversation was spoken in hushed tones.

The reason: THE PRESSURE! so much pressure, the managers would walk up and down the office making announcements about how if we didn't make a deal in the next hour we should just pack up and leave. Constant threats of being fired means that there's this atmosphere of panic and just downright depression.

I think the managers need some serious further training. Managers were young and didn't really now how to ...welll...manage people! If someone was not doing well there were instances when the manager would try to help out and give advice but this was only if you got a good manager.

Mostly, the managers focused their attention on those who were doing well and isolated those who weren't and made them feel like second class citizens due to performance.

Lower expectations! It's a new product in the UK..not many small businesses have heard of you. You need a new appraoch or at least need to be open and flexible to hearing other opinions. Charging into a new market saying 'yeah! Yelp's awesome!" We don't need to advertise we have a more organic growth' is not the smart way forward.

Value your employees - treating them like they are disposable does not improve morale.

Excellent

Current Employee - Software Engineer (Web Developer)  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer (Web Developer) in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

This was an exciting experience. The training was quality and the job had a very social environment. The upper-level management does its best to boost morale and keep their employees happy by providing food and a unique culture.

Cons

I didn't experience too many challenges.

Keep it up

Best work experience I have ever had.

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

The team orientated culture and the willingness of the managers to come to your aid

Cons

The only thing that makes this job bad is the fact its cold calling

Keep doing everything the way you are.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Comfortable office enviroment
    Nice people
    Bright future

Cons

Current headquarter is a little bit compact.

Brand Ambassador

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Yelp part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free events, close relationship with community manager and interns, able to visit all different types of restaurants/venues, etc., meet other enthusiastic Yelpers, decent pay for being a BA, very happy environment

Cons

Sometimes at certain events, you would have to sit there for long periods of time. Occasionally the community manager or someone else would sub in for a while so you could mingle around, which was nice.

Correspondence was a little bit of an issue at times so make sure you're always keeping in touch with everyone who works in the company

great group of people

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

The smartest engineers anywhere. Yelp hires only the top software engineers around. Great to be around such talent!

Cons

work/life balance is sometimes difficult - but management is very understanding regarding time off

Jim Jones vs. Yelp

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

You aren't required to think, have access to free food (the same way an animal's "loyalty" is achieved at the zoo) , company paid benefits and drinking beer as early as 10:30am because you got a deal. Every team event being centered around alcohol. Plus you get to be a rep and have sex with your manager if you want to. You don't even have to be good at the job to go into management. Anyone can!

Cons

Where do I start? They love to hire people fresh out of college with no work experience. Then they make the office a paid version of college life. This is my first job and I was so excited about the opportunity. They lure you in with how much fun you get to have and how cool it is to be there. The culture is manufactured. The culture is just a parody of itself. This job doesn't prepare you for life in any way. You don't get any job skills because all they care about is making you dependent on staying there because you are afraid to leave. They tell horror stories of people who have left the company and are sleeping under a bridge in San Francisco somewhere (or something like that) because they want to keep you there. Everyone is in sales and from the moment you walk in not only are you sold on opportunity that does not exist, but you will sell a product that doesnt work. I feel bad making people sign up. All they care about is filing their hiring quotas. They will sell you success stories of other reps because they need names to sell that dream. I have seen employees leave to do other things and rather than wish them well they are crucified to the sales floor. Its not even a real job. Ice cream is yummy but eat it every day for 9 months straight and you will crave hamburger. You'd probably eat a live lobster. Having this company on your resume is career kill. Nobody will take you seriously because the party atmosphere is no secret. But you get free food. There's that.

Stop hiring 15 year olds to train and lead a team. Stop letting some of these managers gossip more than the reps. Stop firing people before they complete training. You hired them so stick it out with them. Stop setting us up to fail.

Worked for Yelp? Contribute to the Community!