Yesmail Reviews

Updated 3 October 2014
2.5

Mike Hilts

Only if you need a job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Yesmail full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, work from home policy

Cons

No job secure, lots of laying off here. Almost every month you see people leave, whether resigned or lay offs. Not much career growth, little to NO raise, don't even talk about bonuses. Also, long hours depending on which department you work for.

Know how to keep your good employees. They worth more than your clients.

Great people but not a satisfying work culture

Former Employee - Client Services in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Client Services in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Yesmail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great and I made a lot of friends here. Learned a lot in my time there in certain areas of the business.

Cons

Work/life balance was horrible and managers/executives were nice people but have little ability or concern for changing things for the better. They're more concerned about profit then keeping employees happy. Resources are eliminated on teams and most of the time not replaced, which in-turn, adds more work and stress for those left behind to absorb the work.
    Process and technology is outdated causing a more stressful and inefficient work culture.
    Yesmail has potential but ineffective management and lack of change leads to a "turn and burn" culture. After being there for 3+ years, the same issues were constantly coming up and never fixed. Not a good company to work for - frustrating and will put your career on a stagnate course. Also, Yesmail pays lower then other companies in the industry.

Listen to your team and try to be more constructive with managing clients and working to fix internal issues.

If you're desperate enough....

Former Employee - Email Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Email Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Yesmail full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They will pay you what you ask for. The employees are nice hard-working people.

Cons

You will hate everyday that you work there. They work their employees to death. You are expected to stay & work until the job is done which may require the help of multiple people.

Think twice before you accept a position with this company.

Stop forcing employees to work on so many different accounts. That's why you have a high turnover rate. You overwork folks& then they are out the door.

Web Production Developer

Former Employee - Web Production Developer in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Web Production Developer in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Yesmail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Yesmail have a friendly and nice people to work with!

Cons

There is not much of career growth in there!
    There is no stability and no job security

Sacrifice your all for email marketing

Former Employee - Web Developer
    Former Employee - Web Developer

I worked at Yesmail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It provided income to pay for all of the things I no longer had time to do because my entire life needed to revolve around pleasing our spoiled children of clients 24/7.

Cons

Expected to work 24/7. Expected to sacrifice anything and everything for the clients. Management wouldn't hire more help until well after it was too late. Client teams allowed clients to completely run the show and ruin everyone's lives constantly. Upper management didn't care and would routinely volunteer us for weekend coverage out of the blue, forcing us to cancel any plans we may have already had. No raises. Absolutely ridiculous hours (10+ is the average, lots of people are putting in 15+ because they can't get any help).

Don't just say you value employees, SHOW IT. There is no team building. It's a toxic culture. People are pitted against one another for some unknown reason making working with your own team a hostile affair most of the time. It's exhausting/draining to be in that position and nothing is worse than waking up and immediately hating the day due to the fact you know that every day you work there is going to be a little worse than the day before.

Good people, terrible management - it's not worth it

Former Employee - Email Manager in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Email Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Yesmail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people willing to work hard

Cons

- Bait and switch - interviewed for one job, offered lower level job and was told I'd grow into the one I interviewed for and it never happened. I found out later that they have a reputation for doing this.
    - Accounts are understaffed - not even to skeleton levels - and nobody from account directors on up don't care.
    - Email Managers are expected to work until the job is done - even if that means 14-18 hours a day with no support from management and trying to find someone from web production who is willing to work late. The company only knows about work/life balance for senior managers and no one else.
    - Management expects work to be shared with overseas teams where English isn't the first language and this causes more problems than it solves. When change finally comes, it is usually the exact opposite of what was asked for.
    - Teams are often spread out, including managers, which makes completing work challenging due to different time zones.
    - Employees are only trained to do their job and trying to gain other account-related knowledge is exceedingly difficult.
    - Direct managers are apathetic at best and do nothing to support staff when issues are brought to their attention. Chain of command is unclear. Account managers have some responsibility, account directors have others and email managers are managed by someone else entirely. It's confusing to know who to go to with problems because managers don't necessarily know the account being worked on.
    - Senior management has no experience in the positions, people and processes that they're managing.
    - Salary increases don't happen unless you threaten to quit and annual reviews are a joke.
    - Expect to pay a lot for terrible benefits - I'd say skip it and shop the healthcare marketplace - you'll most likely find something better and less expensive.

- Stop hiring people from outside of the company - promote from within! These are the people that understand how the work gets done and would streamline process much better and make Yesmail a better place to work.
    - Invest in your employees and treat them better by offering better benefits at the very least.
    - Stop pulling the bait and switch with job offers - your company is known for this in many circles.
    - Stop forcing terrible programs to be used that don't connect to other aspects of the company. Too many different types of technology are being used to piece together the whole picture when there's better software out there that could replace several old pieces.
    - Provide proper staffing levels for accounts and stop expecting people to work themselves to death. Provide them better salaries and performance-based raises. You have good people working there that strongly dislike their work environment.
    - Create a work culture - there is no culture there - people just come in, work and go home. Any happy hours that happened were created individually. Not even a holiday party while I was there, but other offices had them.

Vice President

Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Yesmail full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

awesome leadership, growing company, endless opportunities

Cons

there is nothing negative to say about this company

keep up the great work

Good and Bad

I have been working at Yesmail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For the most part it's very flexible and decent work/life balance. And with a few exceptions, most of the people I work with are good people - not all, but most. The absolute only reason I stay is the flexibility.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities. Horrible benefits. No yearly reviews - which means no raises. Some people seem checked out and just going through the motions.

Get on board with normal corporate standards. I have never worked for a company who's CEO states in Town Hall meetings (on more than one occasion) that "We don't do reviews". If you think it's time for a raise, you have to beg your manager. That is ridiculous. If you want to keep people and reduce turnover - give us incentive to want to stay. Regular reviews. Standard pay increases. Decent 401k. This is a job, not a career.

A hectic, unorganized approach to doing business with no real mindset for long term thinking.

Former Employee - IT Manager in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Yesmail full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some really good people to work with that really want to see the company succeed and are willing to put in the time to see it happen.

Cons

Senior management appears to not have a clue and make decisions that negatively affect day to day work life.

Get your heads out of your rear ends and listen to your line level managers and employees.

Good people, Poor Management

I worked at Yesmail

Pros

Many great co-workers. Possible opportunities if you get lucky.

Cons

New Executive Team seems to be focused on saving money by replacing innovative teams with low cost skeleton teams. Any tech culture has now been replaced by old school time sheet mentality.

Communicate your plan to stay vital in the industry with your staff.