Zynga

Zynga Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick

Pros:
  • "Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Long hours, exhaustion, some mandatory weekends that are arbitrarily chosen"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Major dissatisfaction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time

ProsPerks: food, gym, shuttle, salary, stock options.

ConsPeople are out for themselves and will step on your back and even lie in order to advance. They are still learning how to develop games and the talent pool reflects that. Major title inflation, particularly at the studio and team leads level. Clique-ish in the extreme, particularly between management and individual contributors. Constant shifting of teams and priorities. Creativity takes a major back seat, despite recent efforts. Content is not innovative and is reskinned over and over. It's as if a bunch of recent ivy league grads jumped on an emerging market, succeeded, hired their friends and are now trying to dictate how to make sophisticated, AAA video games. They don't play games, they don't review games. All the perks in the world do not make up for these major shortcomings.

Advice to Senior ManagementC level management needs to clean house at the E and studio lead level.

there is nothing good about Zynga except for the compensation

Security Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Prosgood compensation is the only good thing. Except for that I don't find any other good thing about this job!!

Consnegative career growth ( the shitty management and politics will make you even forget your previous skills), inexperienced managers, not so knowledgable people left in the company anymore.

Advice to Senior Managementplease get some management skills and try to make sense!!

Mercenaries, not Missionaries

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsBrilliant people who came from consulting, investment banking, and a wide range of experience. Compensation was nice, good facade of meritocracy, office had ample food and snacks. Gym was a plus. I went back recently and I thought to myself that the place looks nicer than when I left, which is odd since the company's stock value has gone down.

ConsNo work-life balance, terrible leadership, idiotic management who had rose through the ranks by bullying individuals and humiliating people. Turns out when the stock price goes sour, all of these people run for the hills because they were only in the zero-sum company for the gain they could take from others anyway. I think I learned bad habits here that I'll have to recover from - like thinking that everyone else is out to get you and to think that company politics is how all companies are run.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up a little guys. Stop trying to over-manage things. Instead, try to embody the parts of the bay area that make startups powerful. Focus on new platforms and stop trying to optimize and milk your way to profitability. Instead, test, iterate quickly, and be like the initial Zynga, not the one it's become.

Director

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsLot of perks free meals and gym access, beer bust every Friday afternoon

ConsLack of leadership from top management always changing direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your teams to create a long term plan for your staff that will grow them.

Previous Room for Growth. Needs more Direction or Actual follow up on Direction made

Producer (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Room for growth (at least when I was there)
-Free food and snacks
-Potential to make a position
-Lots to learn in a face paced environment

Cons-More time spent on restructuring than making games
-Product Managers rule the roost
-Lots of emphasis put on making fun games, but it doesn't happen
-Direction comes from up top, but is rarely followed or enforced
-Depending on org, there may be no direction

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open with communication and actually give direction. No org should go months with no idea of OKRs, or hear randomly from someone else how bad they are doing. Not only should direction should be given, it needs follow up to make sure people are doing work that is in accordance with that direction.

On top of that, Managers need to manage. Too much freedom is a bad thing. If you don't assign work to someone then they have no idea what to do, which does not allow them to grow as an employee.

Good learning experience but ruined by under qualified middle management.

Art Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of great perks like free lunch, dinners, gym membership and snacks. Lots of talented people.

ConsGame company that puts very little emphasis on fun and long term good of the game. Too many under qualified & experienced middle managers who does not know how to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing in a company for long time does not automatically make them a good manager.

Great place to work with.

QA Engineer I (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work environment.
Liberal in working hours.
Less stress
High Standards

ConsPolitics and Bad review of skills.

Recruiting Coordinator

I have been working at Zynga as a contractor

Prosflexible hours, recruiters are helpful

ConsBeing a contractor is terrible--no benefits, can't be involved in Zynga activities, can't use the gym..ect

Sr. Manager

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsEnjoyed my time at Zynga. Great benefits and smart people.

ConsTo many unhappy employees dragging everyone down. Zynga speed is slow. Company needs to step it up to compete with start-up minded competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck.

Terrible senior management making awful decisions

Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

ProsComp is on the higher end for gaming companies, but on the lower end relative to other public tech companies.

There are some good folks remaining but they're all leaving like flies.

It used to have good perks when I started, but they have gotten rid of a lot of them (no more massages, haircuts, they also laid off my trainer in December).

ConsLowest morale in all of SF and Silicon Valley right now. The last round of layoffs ended up cutting some of the best performers at Zynga (HR and C suite's decision-making abilities are questionable), leaving behind some cheaper but very mediocre performers.

My studio has too many leads and too political to get anything done.

All upper management cares about is pleasing the investors (not their players or employees). They haven't been able to ship a good mobile title organically, so they tap into their free cash flow and acquire other mobile gaming companies while cutting headcount. Great for the bottom line temporarily, but terrible in the long-run because some of the top performers are gone and you cannot make great games without them.

They always claim there will not be more layoffs but a 18% layoffs occurred in May and an 15% layoffs occurred in late January. Do not believe anything upper management says anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour last round of layoffs was done carelessly. You cut some great performers and kept some very medicore performers to save several grand per year for each employee. Now the rest of us is struggling to keep afloat in an already terrible environment.

Your investors-first policy is only great in inflating the stock price. In a good market like this, most of your talent would not bother staying even if they have not been laid off.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zynga reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Zynga CEO Don Mattrick. All 302 reviews are posted anonymously by Zynga employees.