Zynga

Zynga Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick

Pros:
  • "Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Long hours, exhaustion, some mandatory weekends that are arbitrarily chosen"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

This company doesn't know which way is up

Senior Sound Designer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga as a contractor for more than a year

ProsCompetitive salary, good people for the most part. Lots of perks and they will let you bring your dog to the office.

ConsPoorly structured internally. Chasing competitors rather than trying to innovate despite claiming otherwise. Too many middle management producers. Not enough innovative gameplay or rather good game ideas get canceled due to Zynga style monetization and friend base gameplay structure. Make good games people want to play instead of trying to nickel and dime players.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure where the audio department falls under internal development so there is incentive for internal teams to utilize this valuable resource that makes games more fun.

Great

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing people to work with. You own your outcomes, so you will be taking up big responsibilities - regardless of your level. Company has really scalable technologies to work with, and the job is fun since end of the day you are making games.

ConsThere is a fair bit of work politics - possibly the highest among all the places I have ever worked at. It can get on your nerves when your colleagues, who are otherwise your friends, are constantly scheming to take you down, or show you off in bad light. CXO level management pretty much sucks. It's a data driven company, but some folks hardly understand basic arithmetic, but are a part of senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementZynga became zynga because of the performance based, data driven approach. The company needs to get rid of all these senior folks using un-measurable mba-school speak.

Clueless upper management and chaotic environment, but still some talented employees left

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some really smart and passionate individuals left at Zynga, but they are leaving and will soon if they haven't yet. I am learning a lot from them.

Depending on the team you work for, there are opportunities to learn and be challenged.

The food is good.

ConsLow morale coupled with long hours at my studio.

Some clueless upper management making cuts to solid performers and then replacing them with people from other teams, whom the rest of the studio has to train. Why bother?

Some senior managers were promoted too quickly when Zynga was still a start-up, so you have/had 20-something year old GMs who don't know anything about management and make a ton of mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow will you make great games if you cannot retain your talent?

A top heavy company that has it's glory days behind.

Senior 3D Artist (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorked with a great team of people when I was on CityVille

ConsCopy of a.... copy of a... copy of a...

I guess it's good unless you're spoilt

Data Analyst (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for less than a year

ProsEmployee benefits (free breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks & drinks; onsite gym; health insurance; ...) AND unlimited PTO (that's my favorite one!)

Don't usually have to work long hours

The dogs are fun (given you like them, of course)

ConsThe company is fairly disorganized at all levels. There's no way to plan your work because unexpected hi-priority tasks arrive all the time. Often nobody actually knows what the exact request is and how to do it.

It sometimes seems hard to get your manager to actually listen to you, and even if (s)he does, it will likely have no practical effect in the end.

It's very clear that they're trying to save money as much as they can. IT once told me they don't have headphones because they're too expensive. On another day, I got a Macbook Air charger for my Macbook Pro because - guess what - they're out of Pro chargers and new ones are too expensive. They just stopped providing free onsite massages and haircuts (the services are still available, but you need to pay). They cancelled a planned game day as well as a planned Christmas party. We got an invite to come to the church on Sunday instead...

Awesome opportunity, some squandering had.

Lead Environment Artist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBest in business, pushing content to hundreds of millions of players.

ConsSuccess brings oddly can bring chaos. When the pressure is high, and expectations are not hit, a dangerous cycle begins of unreal expectations and constantly missing the mark.

There is free food and dogs here.

Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe people at Zynga come in all kinds, they are fun and willing to help you get your groove as soon as possible.

There is endless amounts of food and snacks, and its always changing so you'll always be trying out new things.

Dogs! There are dogs everywhere, if you are an employee and you have a dog, remember, its bring your dog to work day everyday.

ConsSome of the users that we would get just wouldn't make our job easier, even though most of the people at Zynga are great, there are always those that just only care about themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are supposed to make decisions for you, but there can be some that make the decisions that their employees will not agree with. Make sure that the problem you are trying to fix is something that bothers everyone else, not just you.

Fast p aced development culture, yet lacks focus

Senior Concept Artist (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsFun office space, free food, cool coworkers.

Conscompany lack focus, hard to get a raise unless you are a Product Manager. Zynga loves their PM.

flexible, free, fun workplace

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood working environment, fast paced and highly creative and technically skilled peers

Consremuneration is less for the effort we put in, and the career growth is kinda of neutral or depends on he manager you get.

Advice to Senior Managementneed good remunerations for the effort we put in to the company round the clock.

Good Benefits, enthusiastic people

Lead Producer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYoung and energetic people, fantastic benefits, and tons of opportunity to move up. Zynga is a great place to learn the web and mobile games business.

ConsWork life balance for some, wide range of talent. Not a great place for families.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zynga reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Zynga CEO Don Mattrick. All 302 reviews are posted anonymously by Zynga employees.