Zynga

Updated 16 December 2014
3.1

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food & stuff if that is important to you (in 57 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 42 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Go in expecting to work hard, come out with many new skills

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- For Product Managers, it's basically boot camp. Don't plan to stay long, but you will learn a ton while there
    - Very rigorous a comprehensive on decision making and analysis
    - Go in with expectations that you won't have much work/life balance and things will be okay
    - Operationally, very efficient, great infrastructure
    - At least back in 2011/2012 - you genuinely felt like all teams were staffed with some of the best in the world at what they do (and for those that weren't - they still aspired to be the best)

Cons

(Depending on studio, the environment would vary greatly)

The Game Designer opinions have traditionally been steam rolled by stats/PM - hence the games generally lack innovation. The stats have a higher probability of moving a metric, however those optimisations rarely lead to a better experience in the long run

Great teams, tired games

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation is good. Currently my work life balance is solid (though there were several bad months last year). I genuinely love working here; headaches and all. As soon as management chooses one path for more than a month in a row, I will raise my ratings to 5 stars.

Cons

Coming from mainstream gaming, the Social game creation at Zynga was a surprise. Things have changed in the last year, but when 10+ years of game design experience was overruled by a rookie MBA Product Manager, I seriously questioned my decision to join. However, my new PMs are great and respect flows both ways. The trick is getting with the good ones and avoiding the bad ones.

Pick a direction and let us execute on it. Quit pivoting, please.

Starving the Golden Goose

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Lots of variety of games to work on, some GREAT people there, wonderful talent. I loved the dogs all around, it really made it fun to be there, especially during crunch time. Decent pay for the region, great free food, great teams. Clean neat environment. TEAMS were great, lots of autonomy. Very good "flex time" policies. Yes, GREAT FOOD. Nice in-house gym.

Cons

I have a particular sore spot with the so-called "meritocracy" shell game.

Sure, there WERE deserving people who did over and above the call of duty, and deserved recognition, and the "level-up" was great for them. BUT.... it's easy to "level-up" if the company has an established policy of downgrading your position when you start a new project to a lesser title! I found out by accident that this had happened to me, when I noticed that my job description on my pay stub was not what I was hired for. When I questioned it, first it was described as an error that would soon be corrected. Two months later it was "wait until the end of quarter when we change all the new titles". More weeks waiting it was "sorry, that's just what it is". Then a couple months later, "sorry, that title (the one I was HIRED with!) has a higher pay scale and would need approval." HUH? My HIRED description has a higher pay scale than the downgraded one I discovered I had been labeled with? It took multiple directors standing behind me to restore my original title, and many months. And no, my pay scale was never corrected.

And I found out that I was one of many who had discovered themselves downgraded in position when they started new projects -- but they were mostly too intimidated to speak up.

Stick to your promises. Never NEVER ask an employee to give back a hiring perk / bonus / stock options! Respect the titles you hired them with. (If you needed and "bought" a Land Rover, but later you just need it to deliver newspapers door to door, you STILL OWN A LAND ROVER, you're just choosing to use it for simpler jobs. For now.)

Decent place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Allen, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Allen, TX (US)

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Great benefits and a strong culture, plus competitive pay.

Cons

Work-life balance is a struggle to maintain

Didn't deliver on the promise

Former Employee - Senior Producer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Great Benefits, cool office, great food.

Cons

Product strategy is broken as they cancel more games than they release. Business thinking drives too much of the new product development and they end up with uninspiring fast-follow clones that they end up cancelling. This takes a toll on the creative people that they desperately need to be inspired. A good deal of the best people I worked with here have since left.

Find the balance between business and creative ideas.

enjoyed my time there

I worked at Zynga as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great perks, free food, massages, acupuncture, reflexology, exciting company quarterly parties
    Fun people
    Felt like I was part of something growing

Cons

Your experience could vary enormously based on your role and your team, and how that fits into the company's priorities
    Many people look overworked

A company that made good on it's position to promote from within

I have been working at Zynga full-time

Pros

You can work your way up in your own field, or even jump fields if you can prove yourself. There is a strong team feeling, and regular attempts to bring attention to people who were going the extra mile for the team. I have heard my managers making sure I have taken off enough time than be concerned with how much time I'm taking off. They want to keep their employees from burning out and make a concerted effort to encouraging a healthy work life balance as opposed to the 60+ hour weeks start ups are known for. Also, there benefits are awesome.

Cons

The company has changed over the years, which means you will find pockets of managers that don't follow the current direction of the company. Similarly games are often compared to the hits, so inexperienced managers try to push for hit numbers before their product is strong enough to support it.

Great in every way.

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Food
    Nice Employees
    Atmospher is good.

Cons

Big company.
    Back breaking supervisors.

Get more intimate the employees.

Sr. software engineer (build & release)

I worked at Zynga

Pros

fun workplace; pure start-up culture; new technologies

Cons

no care to employee
    no work/life balance

leave if you can

Good place for new grads to work and learn

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Average engineers I know come in at 10, have 1 hour for lunch, have 1 hour for gym/dinner/break, and leave at 7. That's 7 hours of working time.
    During working hour the task is not compact. You can cost loosely.
    Can WFH any day
    Flexible holiday, not a fixed amount. As long as you have good performance and gives the team time to plan ahead.
    Can bring dogs, and almost 50% people bring dogs.
    Benefits are on bar with Internet companies, which means much higher than traditional game companies.
    The work you are working on is a game. Though it may not be the game you like to play, the process is the same. You can learn the inside out of how to make games. People around you are mostly veterans probably worked on games you love. And they are not super busy, you can learn tons from them.
    Culture is great, people here love great games and play, talk about them.

Cons

Risk of being laid off
    The game you are making may not be the type you like. If you are very against this, don't apply.
    Structure is heavy, though I haven't seen big problem with it on my team yet