Zynga Reviews

Updated 13 September 2014
Updated 13 September 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took (in 52 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 40 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Sweatshopville

Former Employee - Slave
    Former Employee - Slave

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

you got free t-shirts and they used to have all the snacks you could eat, but then cut back on that.

Cons

they claim to rely heavily on metrics, but ignore the metrics in favor of hoping real hard that things will magically get better. slow to adjust to new information, willing to manipulate and scam users, and devoid of any bold ideas.

close up shop. prior to the new ceo coming in, they were dead in the water. stagnant. afraid. living in the past. culture of "meritocracy" didn't work because middle management stole credit for good ideas and hard work in order to keep their bonuses high, until bonuses were cut anyway.

Zynga does allow for a high level of autonomy and ownership of product.

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

Benefits, People, Environment, Perks, Variability

Cons

Company is transitioning and the culture, roles and responsibilities are transitioning to more of an EA model.

Great benefits, but lacking direction and career development

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits (medical/dental premium covered 100%, amazing food from the culinary staff, great coffee, snacks)

Cons

While Don Mattrick and other executives focus on hiring their friends into senior management positions, we continue to lose tons of talented employees who do the actual work on our products (engineers, PMs, designers).

Most of the employees I know haven't received a significant title change or real salary bump in more than two years. And I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Constant reorganizations and priority changes derail any progress teams are making. Teams are expected to be in a constant crunch mode, and we are given very little clarity on the company's priorities. Employees doing the day-to-day work are asked to do more with less—meanwhile the company continues to aggressively hire senior managers and directors who don't actually help with the production of games. This strategy does nothing but add additional layers of unnecessary bureaucracy that make our jobs even harder.

Big decisions seem to be made on a whim, causing lots of thrash as teams scramble to comply with the executive "idea of the week" and delay progress on milestones that really matter. It seems like with every project we are reinventing the wheel with respect to the software development process. None of this process, and none of the key questions to ask during that process, should be new to anyone in management at a software company!

Morale at the company seems to be at an all-time low. You often hear stories about Zynga's earlier years where people were excited to work hard and stay late at the office. It's just not the case now. People cheer with excitement for one another when they hear a friend found a job elsewhere.

You need to understand how much you make teams scramble on a day-to-day basis with strange requests and questions asked on a whim that pull entire teams off important work so their managers and executives can save face.

We need more quality control and innovation in our products and in our leadership practices.

Management needs to seriously consider the impact attrition is having on our work culture. When you see great colleagues leaving every week, it makes you really question your position.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to be a PM. Terrible place for creatives.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great food, liberal vacation policy (if you can use it), little red tape, smart people, good location, bike and dog friendly.

Cons

Broken design culture, PM dominated decision making, short term focus, poor bonuses, mediocre salaries, brutal workloads, terrible team management, constant barking, high turnover, lots of politics and yes-men.

Make games people will love playing and people will love making. Pay employees wages needed to live in San Francisco. Profit share more. Stop wasting your employees. Stop making copies and create something original.

Not really a good place for engineers

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun Place to Work , Free Food, Good Opportunities for personal growth, you get to work on games played by thousands of players.

Cons

Not really a good place for engineers. Most engineers get to work on sunset games transitioned from the US with the aim of keeping the revenue stable for some time.
    Company not doing well ans has had multiple layoffs in the past

Company is past its prime but still a decent place to work

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was at Zynga for more than 4 years. Having joined early, I got to see the company take off and subsequently the recent pains of the past few years.

Knowing all that, my overall experience here has been fairly positive. Things are better for those who joined early however due to receiving more stock and compensation than those who have joined later. Consequently, it seems like a lot of the older folks are still here while those who have been here for a year or two quickly find something else and leave.

The company direction isn't great but if you come into grips with the situation and silo yourself within your immediate group, then you'll find passionate people who really care about what they do and also some of the smartest people I've had the pleasure working for.

And the perks? Awesome. Free food, free gym, shuttles, pretax on transit programs. The culinary department is probably the best performing division and most consistent group within the company. Having been served countless lunches and dinners over the past 4 years, I heartily say thank you to them.

Cons

Direction of the company is not great. Company lacks a culture of innovation and products that the company pushes out are lacking and cannot compare with competitors. I don't see that changing anytime soon unfortunately.

Company has a lot of cash but pivots constantly with constant re-orgs which throw out everything that was previously done. I've had so many teams and managers in the past year that it's frustrating.

My best advice is to put your head down, get what you can and learn what you can, and to not let it bother you too much. Otherwise the politics will and can kill this place for someone.

Having to worry about layoffs all the time suck. Having been through both of them, they were huge morale drainers and made a lot of people jaded about staying, almost to the point of just zombie'ing through their career here. People joke about wanting to stay just to get laid off also and get the severence, not the best work environment to be in.

Embrace innovation and focus

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's a pretty good work-life balance, depending on the team you're on. The benefits and perks offered are great and the teammates I have worked with are awesome. And there's always the chance that you get to work on interesting tasks.

Cons

Due to cost reduction, some perks were taken away. There's a huge gap between what management says about promotions and raises to what actually happen. Given the recent major changes at the company, in some situations, promotions have simply stalled.

Be mindful about the teams you have and don't go laying off people while hiring for similar positions on other teams.

Huge Learning Experience

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Great perks, Lots of personal growth

Cons

Emotional atmosphere of the company after all of the bad press

Keep following through with the vision set in place

Was an amazing ride... until.

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was one of the first 300 employees and was upwardly mobile for quite sometime
    Bonuses, perks galore, travel, stocks as hiring bonus....

...(which split 4 times)

Cons

Never got the raise and the title I was promised once they went public!
    I was told that because I had real stock then that was considered against my wage and that I should feel lucky! It was a hiring bonus in lieu of not being paid market!!!! Disgruntled

Management at Zynga was like a revolving door of Egotistical jerks after my original manager left.
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T CONTINUE TO TRY AND FIX IT!!!!

Terrible culture, terrible people and a terrible product

Former Employee - QA Analyst I
    Former Employee - QA Analyst I

I worked at Zynga as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Free food. Lots of cute puppies around.

Cons

Where to start? Upper management is inept. Games are clones of clones (well done clones, but still). Original thought is not wanted nor needed. Terrible terrible place to work at. The company has been suffering some serious brain drain over the past 3 years as well.

Women and children first. bail sailors, bail bail bail.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!