Zynga Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014

2.9

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took (in 52 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 40 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Clueless Monster

Current Employee - Customer Service Lead
    Current Employee - Customer Service Lead

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A gaming giant inevitably - Who can forget FarmVille? Who doesn't know Country Escape?

Cons

Recently it all came down to money. If it generates money - Retain. If it doesn't - Close. Politics is everywhere but for sure in this place its very intense. Meritocracy applies for favorites, not for performers. Most, if not all managers are clueless on what and how the frontliners are doing. They are merely email respondents telling to follow up a request.

Get some people from your other sites and or BPO partners! Learn how to appreciate and retain talent and value them!

A Bachelor’s in Business Politics

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Used to staff some of the best minds in the business to learn and work with. Now a great place to be working in the industry if you believe the game part of games takes a back seat to business priorities. A data lover's dream. Great perks and benefits including a great vacation policy. If you find the time to use it..

Cons

A constraining place to work in a creative capacity…all of it stifled by business priorities. Zynga saw a gradual migration of employees from other industry conglomerates shortly after their big game success who now occupy the upper management ranks. They brought much of the politics they claimed to run from with them. Other company leaders wised up and left long ago. Employees must have worked directly with these managers or risk being layoff targets.

They hire for the job, not the employee except in very specific cases and job functions (seen them cut top tier engineers but not mediocre product/market analysts). If your game starts failing management will see you as fat to be trimmed rather than investigate whether you were one of the few actively keeping an imminent disaster from happening until it was impossible to prevent. A disaster management probably caused.

Management did not exercise any professional means of evaluating employees during my time, and in many cases looked to an employee's prior reputation in the industry. It is why the last layoffs in January were done shoddily to save a few dollars and lost most of the top talent not networked with the upper management regime. Now they struggle to retain the remaining true talented employees and many left since the last layoffs.

After they realized the cuts were too deep trying to satisfy the Street, I was called weeks later with an offer for my old job and it took serious restraint not to hang up.

Letting go of what they need to satisfy ultra short term business goals is characteristic of the company. There was concern when they replaced the CEO with someone even more conservative and money-minded. After seeing no change in management or investors I share the concerns of my former coworkers.

Take more responsibility but take more risks too.

Good for chilling out , no technical work

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Zynga full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome , i think ultimate food
    Good amount of Swags
    Good Salary(Initially when you join)
    Extra curriculars

Cons

Non Technical work , only copy paste(Atleast in India center)
    Pathetic or no salary hikes

When you hire people for Bangalore center , tell them exactly what they have to do , I have seen your HRs just making them speak with some people who will tell them lies about work just to make join. This should not be happening.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meh...

Former Employee - Executive Producer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Producer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great comp, and RSUs are great.

Cons

Management is continually "pivoting" and doesn't seem to know what direction to go in

Trust the people you have hired, you have some amazing EPs and GMs and then you completely hamstring them with a craptacular new IP process, and no ability to innovate.

Getting much better

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, new leadership with a plan, lots of opportunity, good work-life balance with necessary crunch times, agile and experienced teams to collaborate with.

Cons

Still some uncertainty, data driven tactics limit creative risks

Focus on a clear roadmap and stick to it. Give employees stability. Foster an "I could retire here" feeling to stand out in the industry and attract top veteran talent.

a good company for you to level up your skills

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at Zynga full-time

Pros

the work environment is comparably good
    people you're working with are nice & smart
    you're free to learn more in whatever internal area you're interested

Cons

strategy is not correct & speedy enough
    too many titles have been cut in creation
    less opportunities for you to level up in some divisions

allow employees to gain more personal growth

Fantastic, fun company, takes care of top talent.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Zynga prided itself on growing young employees into incredible talent. Employees were evaluated and rewarded on a quarterly basis. Normally, this was done with stock and cash bonuses. Nowadays, there's a more structured system for reviewing employees, where the old days would give bigger reward pools to teams doing well.

Cons

Like any game company, Zynga is a hit driven business. When your game team is doing well, you were rewarded. When your team isn't making money, games were sunset. In the early days, there were late hours and weekend work, but most of Zynga's new game teams are well managed and structure their schedules for a much more healthy balance.

The perks make people stay longer than they should

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

The perks!

- Free breakfast, lunch and dinner
    - Dogs allowed
    - Game room, movie theater, stocked bar, quarterly parties

Cons

Management needs a facelift. They throw people into C level management because of their list of companies they've worked at not because of their capabilities.

Great company to work!

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome work culture with full of fun. Benefits are great: food, beverages, gym.

Cons

Not for everyone, but has been great for me

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My current team is awesome. The company cut a lot of the fat (not all) and I landed on a team with veterans from the game industry. Benefits are great: food, beverages, gym, showers, and team offsites. Time-off is flexible as long as employees work it out with their team for full timers. Compensation has been restructured - it's way more fair than before and teams that haven't launched or who do not create games have compensation opportunities. My work life balance is perfect right now (although it wasn't always that way). Most importantly, the management on my team is AMAZING. My boss is the best I've ever had and is helping me grow in my career as a game maker (not just a Zynga employee).

Cons

Going from start up to a corporate game company was very rough for everyone we've been through a lot of growing pains. When I started, much of the management was very young and inexperienced so they didn't know how to make the transition work. We are still recovering from teams being run by business people and not by game makers who understand the business (albeit it is improving). We lost some great talent from the layoffs, but tbh, many would have left anyway. Several people that have left have moved from start up to start up and get nostalgic about this place, so it really depends on an individuals experience. While some managers are amazing, there are still others that are terrible (but with a company this large, of course it isn't perfect, even though there is no excuse for it). Zynga is a great place to be or the worst depending on who's POV you ask.

Give more autonomy and ownership to your teams. Focus on making fun games FIRST and then layer on the money making levers second. People will buy a great game for it's intrinsic value. Enforce personal growth opportunities and be okay with employees who just want to kick butt in their current level of work, AND reward them both.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!