Zynga Reviews

Updated 16 October 2014
Updated 16 October 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food & stuff if that is important to you (in 55 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 42 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

A Bachelor’s in Business Politics

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Used to staff some of the best minds in the business to learn and work with. Now a great place to be working in the industry if you believe the game part of games takes a back seat to business priorities. A data lover's dream. Great perks and benefits including a great vacation policy. If you find the time to use it..

Cons

A constraining place to work in a creative capacity…all of it stifled by business priorities. Zynga saw a gradual migration of employees from other industry conglomerates shortly after their big game success who now occupy the upper management ranks. They brought much of the politics they claimed to run from with them. Other company leaders wised up and left long ago. Employees must have worked directly with these managers or risk being layoff targets.

They hire for the job, not the employee except in very specific cases and job functions (seen them cut top tier engineers but not mediocre product/market analysts). If your game starts failing management will see you as fat to be trimmed rather than investigate whether you were one of the few actively keeping an imminent disaster from happening until it was impossible to prevent. A disaster management probably caused.

Management did not exercise any professional means of evaluating employees during my time, and in many cases looked to an employee's prior reputation in the industry. It is why the last layoffs in January were done shoddily to save a few dollars and lost most of the top talent not networked with the upper management regime. Now they struggle to retain the remaining true talented employees and many left since the last layoffs.

After they realized the cuts were too deep trying to satisfy the Street, I was called weeks later with an offer for my old job and it took serious restraint not to hang up.

Letting go of what they need to satisfy ultra short term business goals is characteristic of the company. There was concern when they replaced the CEO with someone even more conservative and money-minded. After seeing no change in management or investors I share the concerns of my former coworkers.

Take more responsibility but take more risks too.

Loved it! Great coworkers-Lots of talent.

I worked at Zynga full-time

Pros

Great games, Free food, bonuses, gym

Cons

Upper management treats employees like they are numbers. You never know when your project will get cut and you are out of a job-- no matter how good you are.

Talent and people are HUGE assets. Respect them, they are not mere numbers. They are what drive the company.

Clueless Monster

Current Employee - Customer Service Lead
    Current Employee - Customer Service Lead

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A gaming giant inevitably - Who can forget FarmVille? Who doesn't know Country Escape?

Cons

Recently it all came down to money. If it generates money - Retain. If it doesn't - Close. Politics is everywhere but for sure in this place its very intense. Meritocracy applies for favorites, not for performers. Most, if not all managers are clueless on what and how the frontliners are doing. They are merely email respondents telling to follow up a request.

Get some people from your other sites and or BPO partners! Learn how to appreciate and retain talent and value them!

Fantastic, fun company, takes care of top talent.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Zynga prided itself on growing young employees into incredible talent. Employees were evaluated and rewarded on a quarterly basis. Normally, this was done with stock and cash bonuses. Nowadays, there's a more structured system for reviewing employees, where the old days would give bigger reward pools to teams doing well.

Cons

Like any game company, Zynga is a hit driven business. When your game team is doing well, you were rewarded. When your team isn't making money, games were sunset. In the early days, there were late hours and weekend work, but most of Zynga's new game teams are well managed and structure their schedules for a much more healthy balance.

Getting much better

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, new leadership with a plan, lots of opportunity, good work-life balance with necessary crunch times, agile and experienced teams to collaborate with.

Cons

Still some uncertainty, data driven tactics limit creative risks

Focus on a clear roadmap and stick to it. Give employees stability. Foster an "I could retire here" feeling to stand out in the industry and attract top veteran talent.

a good company for you to level up your skills

Current Employee - Product Manager in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at Zynga full-time

Pros

the work environment is comparably good
    people you're working with are nice & smart
    you're free to learn more in whatever internal area you're interested

Cons

strategy is not correct & speedy enough
    too many titles have been cut in creation
    less opportunities for you to level up in some divisions

allow employees to gain more personal growth

Got too political

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company had a great culture and great benefits. Was there 3+ years and during its best years it was energetic and exciting (those days are no longer).

Cons

Politics, Inappropriate Managerial Level Ups, too much focus on quick-win Quarterly OKR achievement and the premium placed on quarterly level-ups made longer term planning impossible and irrelevant. Also, I watched first-hand, decisions made which hurt their customers in order to squeeze an extra $.

It's a marathon not a sprint.

Was an amazing ride... until.

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was one of the first 300 employees and was upwardly mobile for quite sometime
    Bonuses, perks galore, travel, stocks as hiring bonus....

...(which split 4 times)

Cons

Never got the raise and the title I was promised once they went public!
    I was told that because I had real stock then that was considered against my wage and that I should feel lucky! It was a hiring bonus in lieu of not being paid market!!!! Disgruntled

Management at Zynga was like a revolving door of Egotistical jerks after my original manager left.
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T CONTINUE TO TRY AND FIX IT!!!!

Good for chilling out , no technical work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Zynga full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome , i think ultimate food
    Good amount of Swags
    Good Salary(Initially when you join)
    Extra curriculars

Cons

Non Technical work , only copy paste(Atleast in India center)
    Pathetic or no salary hikes

When you hire people for Bangalore center , tell them exactly what they have to do , I have seen your HRs just making them speak with some people who will tell them lies about work just to make join. This should not be happening.

Senior management makes decisions based on what is best for investor not player or employee!

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time

Pros

Relatively high comp for gaming but lower end compared to other tech companies.

Food is good. Facilities people are super friendly!

Cons

Very top heavy in certain studios where little gets done since everyone wants his/her voice heard.

Terrible work/life balance.

Short-term decisions made before end of each quarter to drive revenue. Some of these decisions were not beneficial to the game in the long-term.

My studio was super cliquey: if you didn't suck up to the GM or senior people, consider yourself a layoffs target despite good performance.

Layoffs in January were done unthought fully - purely to let investors know we are cutting costs and yet started to hire for the roles right away. Many of the individuals cut were some of the most talented employees we had!

Sooner or later, Wall Street will see that you are simply just checking off all the boxes to lift stock prices in the short term.

Zynga Photos