Zynga

Updated 16 December 2014
3.1

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food & stuff if that is important to you (in 57 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 42 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to be a PM. Terrible place for creatives.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great food, liberal vacation policy (if you can use it), little red tape, smart people, good location, bike and dog friendly.

Cons

Broken design culture, PM dominated decision making, short term focus, poor bonuses, mediocre salaries, brutal workloads, terrible team management, constant barking, high turnover, lots of politics and yes-men.

Make games people will love playing and people will love making. Pay employees wages needed to live in San Francisco. Profit share more. Stop wasting your employees. Stop making copies and create something original.

Great resources at your disposal, but plagued with never-ending reorgs.

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Access to real-time data really strengthens the decision-making capabilities. Resources available to do job and perform well. A lot of flexibility given to employees. Lots of great perks (food, gym, dogs, fun building). Fun work environment in a fun building and great city location.

Cons

Constantly plagued with reorgs and leadership changes, impeding on team building opportunities and career growth. Bonuses aren't regular or completely transparent. Losing a bit of the work hard / play hard edge.

We need more excitement from our new CEO.

Not really a good place for engineers

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun Place to Work , Free Food, Good Opportunities for personal growth, you get to work on games played by thousands of players.

Cons

Not really a good place for engineers. Most engineers get to work on sunset games transitioned from the US with the aim of keeping the revenue stable for some time.
    Company not doing well ans has had multiple layoffs in the past

Company is past its prime but still a decent place to work

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was at Zynga for more than 4 years. Having joined early, I got to see the company take off and subsequently the recent pains of the past few years.

Knowing all that, my overall experience here has been fairly positive. Things are better for those who joined early however due to receiving more stock and compensation than those who have joined later. Consequently, it seems like a lot of the older folks are still here while those who have been here for a year or two quickly find something else and leave.

The company direction isn't great but if you come into grips with the situation and silo yourself within your immediate group, then you'll find passionate people who really care about what they do and also some of the smartest people I've had the pleasure working for.

And the perks? Awesome. Free food, free gym, shuttles, pretax on transit programs. The culinary department is probably the best performing division and most consistent group within the company. Having been served countless lunches and dinners over the past 4 years, I heartily say thank you to them.

Cons

Direction of the company is not great. Company lacks a culture of innovation and products that the company pushes out are lacking and cannot compare with competitors. I don't see that changing anytime soon unfortunately.

Company has a lot of cash but pivots constantly with constant re-orgs which throw out everything that was previously done. I've had so many teams and managers in the past year that it's frustrating.

My best advice is to put your head down, get what you can and learn what you can, and to not let it bother you too much. Otherwise the politics will and can kill this place for someone.

Having to worry about layoffs all the time suck. Having been through both of them, they were huge morale drainers and made a lot of people jaded about staying, almost to the point of just zombie'ing through their career here. People joke about wanting to stay just to get laid off also and get the severence, not the best work environment to be in.

Embrace innovation and focus

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's a pretty good work-life balance, depending on the team you're on. The benefits and perks offered are great and the teammates I have worked with are awesome. And there's always the chance that you get to work on interesting tasks.

Cons

Due to cost reduction, some perks were taken away. There's a huge gap between what management says about promotions and raises to what actually happen. Given the recent major changes at the company, in some situations, promotions have simply stalled.

Be mindful about the teams you have and don't go laying off people while hiring for similar positions on other teams.

Huge Learning Experience

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Great perks, Lots of personal growth

Cons

Emotional atmosphere of the company after all of the bad press

Keep following through with the vision set in place

Terrible culture, terrible people and a terrible product

Former Employee - QA Analyst I
    Former Employee - QA Analyst I

I worked at Zynga as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Free food. Lots of cute puppies around.

Cons

Where to start? Upper management is inept. Games are clones of clones (well done clones, but still). Original thought is not wanted nor needed. Terrible terrible place to work at. The company has been suffering some serious brain drain over the past 3 years as well.

Women and children first. bail sailors, bail bail bail.

Hard, but fun...

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, you learn a lot, and perks are good, but diminishing over time.

Cons

Management is kinda hit or miss, a lot of missed opportunities, some cronyism at the higher levels

Meritocracy means not just taking care of your favorites...it means taking care of the best

Great People, Poor Management

Current Employee - Lead Game Designer
    Current Employee - Lead Game Designer

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits (food, healthcare, fitness) and great employees (the people who are actually making the games)

Cons

Management at the team level is sadly terrible. The group of GMs and high level managers that have remained with Zynga are still trying to use strategies from 2008 to determine how to move forward in a completely different game market.

I have never worked for a more cliquey company in my entire career. I have watched people with little to no experience be promoted to senior and lead positions simply because they had worked with a particular manager on another project. I shouldn't have to hold a "senior" anyone's hand when using Microsoft Word or Perforce.

Some long-term Zyngites seem oblivious to the troubles the company has had. The frequency in which I heard people brush off layoffs and other cuts in a nonchalant, casual manner was disturbing.

When a team has three creative directors but no one to actually implement the vision then perhaps it is time to rethink the org chart.

A Bachelor’s in Business Politics

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Used to staff some of the best minds in the business to learn and work with. Now a great place to be working in the industry if you believe the game part of games takes a back seat to business priorities. A data lover's dream. Great perks and benefits including a great vacation policy. If you find the time to use it..

Cons

A constraining place to work in a creative capacity…all of it stifled by business priorities. Zynga saw a gradual migration of employees from other industry conglomerates shortly after their big game success who now occupy the upper management ranks. They brought much of the politics they claimed to run from with them. Other company leaders wised up and left long ago. Employees must have worked directly with these managers or risk being layoff targets.

They hire for the job, not the employee except in very specific cases and job functions (seen them cut top tier engineers but not mediocre product/market analysts). If your game starts failing management will see you as fat to be trimmed rather than investigate whether you were one of the few actively keeping an imminent disaster from happening until it was impossible to prevent. A disaster management probably caused.

Management did not exercise any professional means of evaluating employees during my time, and in many cases looked to an employee's prior reputation in the industry. It is why the last layoffs in January were done shoddily to save a few dollars and lost most of the top talent not networked with the upper management regime. Now they struggle to retain the remaining true talented employees and many left since the last layoffs.

After they realized the cuts were too deep trying to satisfy the Street, I was called weeks later with an offer for my old job and it took serious restraint not to hang up.

Letting go of what they need to satisfy ultra short term business goals is characteristic of the company. There was concern when they replaced the CEO with someone even more conservative and money-minded. After seeing no change in management or investors I share the concerns of my former coworkers.

Take more responsibility but take more risks too.