alliantgroup, LP Reviews

3.3
Dhaval R. Jadav

A Great Opportunity!

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

What I love about alliantgroup is the constant teamwork fostered between the departments. You will have the opportunity to develop relationships with a broad range of people from unique backgrounds and life experiences, and this promotes an environment and culture that is conducive to learning as well as building camaraderie among one another. I enjoy being able to discuss ideas and brainstorm with people no matter what the topic may be, and the cohesiveness between the departments is second to none compared with other jobs I have had. Upper management is always available as well, no matter what you need to discuss. It truly is an “open door” policy and not simply a catch phrase, and it is nice to know that they are available should you need them. I always seek them out when I have questions regarding complex files, and they are happy to answer my questions for me.

The work itself is very interesting in that you will have the opportunity to learn both the applicable law as well as the accounting principles that govern the execution of the files. The legal landscape is always changing with regard to a lot of the work, and I enjoy having the opportunity to use my legal background to navigate through the complexities of each file. I also enjoy the opportunity to work with clients from different industries, including software development, engineering, construction, and life sciences. You will be able to develop client relationships with many talented individuals from all of these industries, and it keeps each new file unique and exciting to work on.

Cons

The hours can be long during tax season, but again, you are not alone in your work. We are growing very fast, and as such, some of our internal processes often change quickly which can make things difficult at times.

There is no such thing as a free lunch

Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The catered food was great. After eating in a cafeteria at my previous job, this was a nice treat. The casual dress was also nice, but my guess on why this is allowed has to do with the fact that the company wants you to basically live at the office...might as well buy an Army cot and sleep next to your desk. I loved my co-workers. I have never had the pleasure of working with such intelligent people.

Cons

I knew this company was not a good fit for me from day one. I was at the office until 9:00 p.m. on my first day. I was told there would be a lot of training involved and there would be a steep learning curve, but I was not told that the training would begin at 7:00 p.m. and continue until late in the evening. This training typically goes on for a three month period. I felt like I was going through a desensitization process similar to what trafficked women experience before they are forced to prostitute themselves. "Don't worry, this won't last forever". By the time the weekends rolled around, I was too exhausted to do anything and I ended up sleeping most of the mornings away. Other weekends, I had to study for mandatory exams. The results of the exams were broadcast at meetings of 100+ people, so if you don't do well (A.K.A. use your personal time to study) everyone will be aware. I got a 99 on the first exam, so I'm not writing this because I don't have the ability, I just want to prevent other people from taking a job that will consume their lives. I didn't make it to the second exam because I found another job before I ended up in hospital with mono, like my team director (not kidding), from exhaustion.

The workload is crushing. I was required to include my cell phone number on my signature block and tell 40 companies with multiple contacts that I am available to them 24/7, which is the honest expectation of the company. 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m are client service hours and nights and weekends are when your expected to get your work done. I felt like an indentured servant. The lunch break at alliantgroup is similar to a unicorn...people have claimed to have seen them, but no one can find proof of their existence. I was directly told by my Project Manager that "We work all day, every day, through lunch".

Alliant markets itself as a true meritocracy. This is a blatant lie. The only reason there are so many opportunities for advancement is because the door on 3009 Post Oak is revolving. Every week that I was there, people either quit or got fired. The expectations are unrealistic and the work is not actually that difficult. The issue is the volume of the work. They hire a lot of new or recent graduates banking on the fact that they have student loans to pay and can't afford to quit a job without having another one lined up. There is not time to job hunt with the required hours at alliantgroup and even if an interview was secured, it would require you to locate that unicorn, saddle it and ride it to the interview.

Billing...let's talk about billing. There is extreme pressure to bill clients 50 hours per week per employee. There is actually a bonus given if employees hit the target. The company utilizes transactional billing practices, similar to a law firm. This translates to being able to bill, for example, 1.5 hours to a client when only 15 minutes was actually spent performing the task. The company says, the clients are aware of the billing practices, but I sat in on many calls and have never personally heard this being explained to a client. There are so many lawyers at the company that you could throw a rock and hit one, so I'm sure they have some type of clause or preventative measure in place to cover their tails.

How does one deal with the stress? The answer is alcohol of course. It's completely ok to drink at work. Mimosas at 9:00 a.m., no problem. People keep beer in the fridge and wine bottles on their desks. On occasion, the company even provides coolers full of alcohol and openly encourages drinking. Let's go play flogger on Post Oak now. Quitting time at alliantgroup coincides perfectly with closing time at The Galeria. Pedestrians beware.

One thing I have never seen is favoritism. Everyone is treated equally poorly, so don't worry about that. You will all be suffering together. Oh, an you better reply to all on the mass emails congratulating people you don't know on their promotions. Someone will notice if you don't. I didn't stick around long enough to find out what would happen if you don't participate, but if you plan to stick it out for a year, just do it and don't complain about it.

Seriously, think about it before you take a position here. There are only five and one star reviews on this company. That says something. There is no doubt in my mind that management "asks" employees to write the five star reviews. I wasn't fired. I left on my accord and this is an honest description of what I have experienced at alliantgroup. This was not my first job. I worked for a company 4 consecutive years previously and it is not realistic for a company to expect employee's to forego their personal lives for a job on a salary basis! The majority of employees at alliantgroup has been there under one year.

Advice to Management

The energy and time spent on recruiting and deceiving new candidates far exceeds the benefit you would receive retaining the talent you already have.

3. Some of these reviews crack me up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone at alliantgroup is not equal. If you take care of business, you are exceptionally well paid and treated. Motivated energetic people who care about their careers embrace this as a positive. If you think this is a negative you are not a fit. Salaries and compensation are impressive with contests that have huge prizes. The company emphasizes its culture because the core values of that culture have caused the company to skyrocket. As long as I have been here, we have had a ton of job openings because the growth is so crazy. Not many companies can say that. The food and relaxed dress are nice, but not a reason to pick a job. The company as a whole is very direct about what is expected, if you do those things, and put your best effort into your job, you will do very well here.

Cons

There is a steep learning curve, and the training when you start is pretty rigorous. It takes a lot of confidence to put yourself out there, and that is intimidating to some people. It is necessary to succeeding that you be an active part of your team. They do a lot of practice in mock situations which was uncomfortable to me at first, but it gives you confidence pretty quickly. Now that I am helping others with mocks I can see why we do them.

If you need the money and you are aggressive work there!

Former Employee - Energy Modeler in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Energy Modeler in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

the money and smart people that work there.

Cons

work / life is nonexistent

Advice to Management

quit micromanaging

Don't open - Dead inside.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They will hire absolutely anyone with a pulse. They provide poorly administered training that will run until 10 at night. You will save a lot of money on going out or visiting family and friends.

Cons

You may see a lot of conflicting reviews on this site regarding alliantgroup. Some highly critical, and some impossibly positive. Even if some of the negative reviews are just disgruntled employees, the positive ones speak for themselves (who actually writes like that). In any event, if you are on the fence about accepting a job at this firm, let me provide some advice: ask what their turnover rate is. Or you could go with "How long is the tenure of an average employee", or "What are the daily hours of the average employee"?

While there is a huge chance they may lie to you, perhaps using some tired line about high performance or growth, try to read between the lines on the things they don't lie about. Regardless of position, they ask intrusive and inappropriate questions during the interview process. E.g., "If it was your son's 1st birthday and you had a party planned for him, would you miss it if the CEO needed you to stay late"? And let me tell you now, they would expect that you miss your son's birthday for a non-urgent meeting to deal with an unorganized CEO. But that's enough about on-boarding. If you make the mistake of joining, you have a whole new form of hell to face.

For starters, the entire organization is operated by a management "team"r who is underhanded, lacks any actual management skills, and frequently treats employees like they are a dime a dozen. One individual has ultimate authority over every single employee and they use that authority to shame or fire employees who don't play along with their ego trip. For front-line managers, that means daily meetings that begin in the late afternoon and drag on until whenever they feel like ending it. Could be 7, could be 10:30. You won't know until you see what kind of mood he is in. I'm not sure they know that some people actually look forward to going home and seeing their families.

The culture is reminiscent of a fraternity where people fall in and out of favor often and quickly. HR has no authority or ability to lead any type of change towards normalcy. They will tout that their culture is "fast paced" and alliantgroup is only for "high performers" and they will claim that is why others don't last here. That is simply not the truth. The lack of organization, fair evaluative metrics, general professional courtesy, and atrocious management practices leaves their turnover rate at just under 70% annually. That is not a joke.

All of the employees must appear engaged at all times, but virtually all are really trying to find a way out as soon as humanly possible. It's like Jonestown where when the cameras were on, everyone was happy and hard working. When those cameras are off however, the people are begging for a way out.

From a career path perspective, alliantgroup will not advance your career. It might actually hurt you. Most industry competitors look poorly on this organization and find it to be a "one-trick pony."

This is not a scorned employee post. I was a "high performer" and I left of my own volition. Now, I look back and wish someone would have stopped me from wasting any of my time on this dead-end organization. Good riddance.

Advice to Management

Sell the firm to a buyer that can actually manage it appropriately. You are all in way over your heads, and it shows.

Thought I would hate it (based on these reviews)... still here after ~1 year and I can honestly say I love it...

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hard working, high octane atmosphere. Motivated, tenacious co-workers. You can move up fast if you're a mover & shaker, and management will go out of their way to accommodate you when you prove yourself.

Cons

Intense atmosphere, long hours during tax season, but not as long as in finance and big law careers. Constant pressure from management to out-perform and improve. This is a good thing, if you're game.

Advice to Management

Their mantra is to push people to be their very best and maximize performance. This is a good thing, but it is not for the faint of heart. Come here to work hard and realize your full potential.

Hello, America!

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Our country, America, the land of the free was built on hard work and perseverence. Nothing is handed to you in life. I am competitive by nature and that drive has helped me to succeed and grow within alliantgroup. It is not a company meant to help you pay bills rather a company that will help you build a career and bring out your strengths and in the end not only will you have self fulfillment but also the compensation you deserve.

Cons

It is not for everyone. Just like tryouts, not everyone will make the team because you need people that are not only talented but driven. Practice makes perfect. The more you invest in yourself the more you get out of it.

Advice to Management

Thank you for always having our best interests at heart and for investing in each of us. I want to echo the fact that I too appreciated the extra time off over the Holidays that allowed me to spend additional time with my loved ones.

Challenging but growth potential is unlimited

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP

Pros

This company strives to be the very best in the client service industry and they push employees to demonstrate their best in terms of product/service quality and commitment to delivering an A+ client experience. This means that employees are constantly challenged to develop and get better and achieve greater things. But they reward those to rise to the challenge and your growth potential within the firm is limited by your own desires and strengths. You can do anything and be anyone here. Very different from a stuffy organization where tenure (and not talent) seems to me the number one thing people are measured by.

Cons

They are very strict in terms of work product quality and this can lead to challenging times. And you will be pushed to do greater things here. Definitely not a place where you can hide in the shadows and coast.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on development of your people and make quicker decisions on the ones that can't make or don't have what it takes to be a part of alliantgroup.

Your brand is what people say about you when you are not in the room.

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Free drinks, it's true! Been pounding them for 14.5 years. The building is shiny, and has a big staircase! If you play racquet sports with management, they turn a complete blind eye to gross incompetence and the inability to perform the most basic job functions - and even promote you. When they demote you for not trying to become best buds with management, they don't reduce the salary you earned from those racquet sports and pretending to love wine! Also, you don't need to be "eckspecially" literate to manage the support staff and they pay moderate settlements so your wife won't find out you were texting your admin at 4 a.m...if racquet sports. And when your computer gets stolen from the front seat of your car outside a bar, you don't get in trouble and they won't inform your clients about all of their sensitive information that was compromised! Thank you thank you thank you! =)

Cons

They don't guilt trip employees enough when they don't send company-wide thank you emails for being rewarded for dancing/beatboxing/winning a billing competition. Come on guys, they need to be crushed! Ya gotta build them up to break them down. Everyone can be manipulated!

Medical insurance doesn't cover scooter to get around office. Pool table is always broken. IRS won't stop calling me.

No Diet Mountain Dew.

Advice to Management

Keep reading those management books! You never misinterpret the message or pull only the message you want from it. Top notch! Keep on sponsoring American innovation, let's go let's go let's go! Keep McCarthyism alive!!!

Keep telling us to bill clients more hours than actually exist in a week. YOLO!

So you want to hate your life?

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed dress code. The location of the building is amazing. You will be provided with free lunch everyday, some days breakfast and dinner too. During tax season you will get treats like froyo, popcorn, snow-cones, etc. On some Fridays they will bring beer and wine. You'l get a day off each tax season to celebrate the horror being over. No one bats an eye if you start drinking at your desk after client service hours at 6pm. You'll meet some awesome people that you'll dearly miss. Once one or all of your friends have been fired or quit, you'll meet up and discuss the PTSD you received from this place and how much better life is now that you are free.

Cons

They tell you you'll have to work long hours on occasion, usually during tax season. This is a lie. You will constantly be working long hours. During tax season expect to be working 12+ hour days with a 5 minute lunch break. On off season there will still be at least one day a week working 12+ hours. Might as well forget about your family, friends, and hobbies. alliantgroup is your life now. They will tell you to cancel your plans for a last minute meeting that consists of yelling at each person in the department for 2 hours. My department was very unorganized and constantly had mismanaged deadlines. Part of this was because it was a fairly new department with growing pains but nothing ever seemed to get better. The company has a very high employee turnover rate. On average, one person will leave or be let go from your department each week! Because of this turnover rate, information about the project or client is lost, leaving everyone else to scramble to figure out what is going on. Since this is happening on a weekly basis, there is a near constant air of confusion and fear. All in all, the company purposefully creates a high stress, overworked environment that will have you coming home either furious or crying, maybe even both.

Advice to Management

Get a life....Half of you act like overgrown children. Maybe stop creating rumors, playing favorites, and cursing out your employees during meetings. Actually take some management classes and learn how to deal with your employees.

alliantgroup, LP Photos