blinkx

blinkx Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2014

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee

S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros:
  • "laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Cool technology and hot industry"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management sees themselves as brilliant wiz-kids and all employees as vermin"
    in 7 reviews
  • "O) is leaving the company, now there is no one smart enough to run it"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good co-workers, fast-moving and chaotic.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsSmart coworkers.
Opportunity to learn/grow
Free food on Fridays and nice office
When the share price was right-high value options

ConsWhen the share price is low options were NOT valuable!
Chaotic management style in engineering
lots of projects and changes to projects

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to let engineers work on their projects for longer so the product can be better
Keep letting people learn new technologies

good place to learn/grow

I have been working at blinkx full-time for more than 3 years

Proslaid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary

ConsConfusion on what exactly the products are and how they work (if they work?). With recent acquirement of Burst, there is various new roles that need to be played for your position which is aggravating/confusing. It will take time for this to smooth out.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more flexible with employees work hours. Should be allowed to work from home as long as job is getting done and there should be summer hours on Fridays (like most companies of this type in SF).

Terrible place to work

Sales (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at blinkx full-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the people are good to work with.

ConsNo communication - upper management shares nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above.

The dips of the roller coaster are evening out.

I have been working at blinkx full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat colleagues. Great vision. A good, professional vibe. Right now I think I have a feeling that the stars are beginning to align and we're becoming a "normal" company.

ConsA increasing feeling of disconnect from the product. I know the site is being redone, but it's taken forever to even acknowledge that it needed to happen. There is also silo-ization of the group by acquisition and product set. True, this could be overcome by the upcoming intranet, but it's a late and an internet was available through the Zango acquisition. It was sneered at.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems like most of the things that I think should happen are in the works. So I guess it's all about execution at this point.

Fun, collaborative environment filled with intelligent people

San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at blinkx full-time for less than a year

Prosblinkx so far has lived up to all of the expectations that I had for it. It is rare to find a company that is able to accurately articulate the type of work environment and culture that is present there, and even rarer still to find a company that delivers exactly what they said they would. Employees have a lot of opportunity, right from the start, to make significant contributions to projects and the company. Success seems to be measured by results. Micro-management doesn't slap you in the face everyday. Each employee can leave work feeling like they've contributed something. Great location in downtown SF, right near the Embarcadero.

Consblinkx, for the most part has not been an early adopter of new technologies. However, some of the new projects are/will be using technologies that are on the bleeding edge. It seems like that trend is turning around.

The company doesn't have immediate name recognition with some people, but I do honestly feel that soon blinkx will be a household name.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the website fresh, implementing new technologies along the way as they fit into the bigger picture. Most companies these days are redesigning their sites every 1-2 years, even if it mainly cosmetic. Launch a social media campaign, and maintain a presence and following on social media sites like FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+. Right now social media campaign = non-existent. Build the hype!

Lack of Direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros1. San Francisco Office next to Ferry Building
2. Catered lunch (but only once a week)
3. Some people who work there are very cool
4. Total pay package is OK (but salary lacking)

Cons1. They don't know who to hire for what positions. A couple of recent hires have just disappeared and I'm scared to ask why.
2. Long term growth doesn't seem to be there with a lack of mobile advertising direction.
3. YouTube is just superior in every way
4. Load pay package with bonuses (which are attainable) but that means you are taxed at a much higher rate and you make less than if you would if they just paid higher base salaries.
5. Stock options are worthless
6. The smartest person at the company (C.O.O) is leaving the company, now there is no one smart enough to run it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no communication to employees except for really big announcements (like the C.O.O leaving). No one knows what direction the company is heading in... new flash, it's down. 300+ employees and 10+ offices, that doesn't seem to be very smart.

Rollercoaster Ride - but a good one

I have been working at blinkx

ProsFaced paced, high reward work environment. Co-workers are no nonsense, smart and hard working. Company is growing fast, creating lots of opportunity for advancement.

Consblinkx is growing so fast that the support infrastructure is having trouble keeping pace. The company needs to focus on how to make the transition from a small organization to a mid-size company.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove companywide communication channels. With the hyper growth that's taken place over the last year management needs to do a better job of communicating to the various business units. Improved communication will help the various business units understand what each other are doing and provide more opportunity for collaboration.

HORRIBLE

ProsFree lunches
Coworkers are generally cool unless they're at mid-management or higher
A fully stocked fridge and kitchen
Pay is decent

ConsEverything else. If you like working in a boring, stuffy work environment with management breathing down your neck at every step, this might be the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Realize that you don't actually know everything. Show your employees some respect and reward ingenuity and hard work instead of trying to bend them to your will.

A decent place to start, but not to grow.

Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at blinkx

ProsThere is a fair amount of flexibility with working hours and I've had a good balance with my work/personal life. I've received promotions and have learned a lot.

ConsInformation is not provided very openly. Senior management is not supportive of employees sharing ideas or making suggestions about the progress of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFear based management doesn't produce results and it doesn't make your employees respect you. Don't expect people to have trust in you when you make decisions that don't seem to be well thought out.

Worst Job Ever

I have been working at blinkx

ProsMy peers were top quality. Everyone was competent and good at their jobs. They all left and got better jobs elsewhere.

ConsTerrible management. They yell and cuss at others in the office. They have no direction other than to do what they can to make good press releases.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to relax and let people do their jobs properly. Try to actually develop a real product rather than "do deals" that sound good in press releases.

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!

blinkx Videos

blinkx – Why Work for Us?

blinkx (LSE AIM: BLNX) is an Internet media company that connects consumers and brands through premium content online. Founded in 2004, blinkx pioneered Internet Video Search using its patented COncept Recognition… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at blinkx reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee. All 61 reviews are posted anonymously by blinkx employees.