blinkx Reviews

Updated 31 July 2014
3.1

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee
S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • laid back atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary (in 5 reviews)

• They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with (in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Company targeting a niche market with a reducing opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at blinkx full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pizza on fridays, flexible hours if you like to start at 11am, management just don't care.

Cons

office very far away from the subway, low salary compare to all the work and responsibilities asked to put on, lazy management: The director of marketing clearly prefer to take times off to play cricket (yes...) at least 2 times a weeks than spending time with its team to improve results.The motto "Lead by example" was clearly never heard off in this company.

Get your priority right, having a prestigious office downtown isn't gonna make the company better, nor is it going to improve your revenues.
    The company that was occupying our office before were around 30-40 people, we were less than 15 and management wants to move to a bigger office because you think this is too small?that Despite falling revenues because our business model sucks?
    Mangement should save on cost and invest in badly needed marketing and developing new channels instead of that management decide to rent an office right downtown Montreal which will cost 3 to 4 times what we are paying in current office.
    Then they decide to lay down tow of their best business developers to save on cost so they can move to a more prestigious office they clearly don't need...

A growing company with great opportunities

Current Employee - Employee  in  Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at blinkx full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked at blinkx for almost three years now. I have learned so much and really advanced in my career. You can make the position your own and take on new projects, as the company has grown a lot in the past few years. You work with people from multiple offices and continue to learn new things every day.

Cons

The challenge of working at blinkx is keeping self-motivated. You are not micro-managed and you must be proactive at all times.

I trust the senior leadership team is continuously working to make blinkx a better business ! I love working with a team that challenges me and helps me grow.

Not worth your time

Former Employee - Operations Analyst
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst

I worked at blinkx full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The free snacks are nice, and there are some occasionally smart people in the mix at the mid level management and below. I gained some solid experience on both how to run and not run A/B tests, and their analytics, tech, and most of the product people, again, at the mid level, are wicked smart and great to work with.

Cons

The outings a have dropped in spend and the pay is terrible. During my time there I made less than my spouse, who's a teacher. Upward mobility has a lot of dangling carrot methodology- they'll constantly say they want to give your a raise or promotion, but won't actually give it to you. "Products", which is really just adware for the most part, are kept limping along, and they'll take ads or distribution from the seediest of companies. Most testing and feature generation is more of a "this product does it and I think it's cool" situation. Nothing really pushes the bar or seeks to get ahead of the competition. Executive leadership is pretty bad- lots of poor decisions and no focus, with a very strong "I'm the decider and I'm right" attitude.

Also, these reviews are really inflated, possibly by execs.

For the mid level area and below, know when you have a good product idea and actually make it and test it properly- don't just shove it out there. You can make a good product through testing and iteration.

To the execs, you're focus on profits and acquisitions does not make good products, and is a waste of resources. Profit are made through good experiences that people like, not buying up more dead weight that happens to make money right now.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

pathetic

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

There is nothing good to say about this place in regards to work ethics. The CEO does not care that people are leaving. His attitude is that the company is better off without them.

Cons

No raises, no career path and no training or advancement. They only promote from outside.

Figure it out. You need to actually fix the issues from the ground up for a company to work. Talk to the worker bees and see what is going on. Don't take your top brass words for it.

Run. Run fast.

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at blinkx full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours and good immediate level management (at least in my case) made it a bearable stay. Free, salt/sugar-heavy snacks in the kitchen. Good people at the bottom level, with a sense of "we're all stuck here" comaraderie.

Cons

Incredibly cheap company, from what they pay workers, to equipment, to investment in infrastructure and tools. Salary was laughable, and they do quarterly "bonuses" that are really just deferred salary, so they can take the tax benefit of keeping the money longer. On top of that, they would be delayed on occasion as well. A lot of their "revenue" feels fake, even from the inside. The whole place feels like a house of cards. Constantly at war with real companies who do not like their questionable behavior. I'm pretty sure that every 5-star review is upper-management padding their rating. Nobody that I knew was very happy, and certainly not 5-stars happy.

Learn to value your employees, they're the ones doing the work. As far as I can tell, most of you are just there to sell snake-oil to investors, starting at the very top with the CEO who calls into meeting from a McDonalds play zone, judging from the background noise. At least take care of the people that make that possible.

Follow through on your promises. Delaying bonuses that people rely on for their families, because you pay WELL BELOW industry rates is a real kick in the nuts. Not to mention delaying promised raises as well. No wonder everyone has one foot out the door.

Clueless senior management and dismal work atmosphere

I have been working at blinkx full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent benefits, good snacks in the kitchen, and the main office is in a nice location.

Cons

blinkx chases quick revenue, and is never willing to invest in strategy and long-term planning. The 5-star reviews on this site are fake and came from a management request. The company is extremely cheap. Employees are not encouraged to get training or advance their careers. Bonuses are a joke - because they're based on goals your manager sets for you, but managers have no clue what's really going on, because they're too busy doing acquisitions (hostile takeovers). They have no idea how to run a legitimate software development team. The product team is a disaster, mainly because of the leadership issues. They don't have anyone running HR because the people they hire keep leaving. The talented designers are miserable, reporting to managers with no design background and given no opportunity to grow. Employees from all the acquired companies are extremely unhappy, since the management rips their organizations apart without understanding how to run the businesses they just purchased.

You need to foster trust and loyalty among the management and the employees who do all the hard work. The company needs to redefine its self, and build integrity - not just with the people, but with how they run the business, and the product/service offerings. Invest in well-planned longer-term projects - run by people with proven experience. You need to remove the people at the top who are making horrible mistakes, and who have no idea how to manage teams, business relationships, projects, ad campaigns, technology, media, etc. It hurts moral and motivation levels when the few good people you have left (who know what they're doing), see these poor management decisions. End the nepotism and stop hiring and advancing people you have personal relationships with - it's not good for employee moral or for the bottom line. When people quit, don't dump their workload on other employees permanently, without giving them a raise or new title to match their added responsibilities.

A growing company with nice perks!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at blinkx as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Very nice people (for the most part), they are doing a fantastic job in their industry and just seem to be getting better and better. Clean office with plenty of supplies, and a great view. Free snacks!

Cons

My supervisor was never one to appreciate my hard work and was very unhelpful. She didn't want to train me, so it was very autonomous. And as an admin you're very separated from the rest of the group.

Evaluate all of your employees, even the ones who have been with the company a while, to see what they bring to the table.

After reading this review you should stop any communication with their hiring manager

I worked at blinkx

Pros

Good place for those who don't want to do anything, and happy with industry mediocre paycheck.

Cons

Double check everything they tell you on interview. Unbelievably incompetent management. Zero task delegation. No product vision whatsoever. New software and improvements have flatline adoption curve. Heavy rotation, people run like hell from this festering pit, and management is even ashamed to report employees gone. There are some good people that trapped there with acquisitions, but they leave as soon as they can. I couldn't tolerate it anymore and decided to quit.

Company needs a hard reboot.

Good place to work

I have been working at blinkx full-time

Pros

Good compensation, good benefits, flexible hours and good opportunities for advancement. Overall a very good place to work.

Cons

More collaboration between divisions would be helpful.

One of Blinkx's great strength is the diversity of its divisions, we should try to leverage that more and take advantage of each others skills and technologies.

Great place to work !

Current Employee - Employee  in  Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at blinkx full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, start up vibe with corporate resources. As we grow we continue to take on new and challenging projects. Its been an awesome work experience ! Always learning new things and never bored.

Cons

You are expected to be "on" and available at all times. However this is rewarded with great company events and outings. Work hard , play hard attitude !

I appreciate our All Hand Meetings keeping all employee's up to date with the business.

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!