blinkx Reviews

Updated 5 October 2014
3.1

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee
S. Brian Mukherjee

Pros
  • Good compensation, good benefits, flexible hours and good opportunities for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with (in 7 reviews)

• There is no one leading the company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Run. Run fast.

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and good immediate level management (at least in my case) made it a bearable stay. Free, salt/sugar-heavy snacks in the kitchen. Good people at the bottom level, with a sense of "we're all stuck here" comaraderie.

Cons

Incredibly cheap company, from what they pay workers, to equipment, to investment in infrastructure and tools. Salary was laughable, and they do quarterly "bonuses" that are really just deferred salary, so they can take the tax benefit of keeping the money longer. On top of that, they would be delayed on occasion as well. A lot of their "revenue" feels fake, even from the inside. The whole place feels like a house of cards. Constantly at war with real companies who do not like their questionable behavior. I'm pretty sure that every 5-star review is upper-management padding their rating. Nobody that I knew was very happy, and certainly not 5-stars happy.

Learn to value your employees, they're the ones doing the work. As far as I can tell, most of you are just there to sell snake-oil to investors, starting at the very top with the CEO who calls into meeting from a McDonalds play zone, judging from the background noise. At least take care of the people that make that possible.

Follow through on your promises. Delaying bonuses that people rely on for their families, because you pay WELL BELOW industry rates is a real kick in the nuts. Not to mention delaying promised raises as well. No wonder everyone has one foot out the door.

Clueless senior management and dismal work atmosphere

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, good snacks in the kitchen, and the main office is in a nice location.

Cons

blinkx chases quick revenue, and is never willing to invest in strategy and long-term planning. The 5-star reviews on this site are fake and came from a management request. The company is extremely cheap. Employees are not encouraged to get training or advance their careers. Bonuses are a joke - because they're based on goals your manager sets for you, but managers have no clue what's really going on, because they're too busy doing acquisitions (hostile takeovers). They have no idea how to run a legitimate software development team. The product team is a disaster, mainly because of the leadership issues. They don't have anyone running HR because the people they hire keep leaving. The talented designers are miserable, reporting to managers with no design background and given no opportunity to grow. Employees from all the acquired companies are extremely unhappy, since the management rips their organizations apart without understanding how to run the businesses they just purchased.

You need to foster trust and loyalty among the management and the employees who do all the hard work. The company needs to redefine its self, and build integrity - not just with the people, but with how they run the business, and the product/service offerings. Invest in well-planned longer-term projects - run by people with proven experience. You need to remove the people at the top who are making horrible mistakes, and who have no idea how to manage teams, business relationships, projects, ad campaigns, technology, media, etc. It hurts moral and motivation levels when the few good people you have left (who know what they're doing), see these poor management decisions. End the nepotism and stop hiring and advancing people you have personal relationships with - it's not good for employee moral or for the bottom line. When people quit, don't dump their workload on other employees permanently, without giving them a raise or new title to match their added responsibilities.

A growing company with nice perks!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at blinkx as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very nice people (for the most part), they are doing a fantastic job in their industry and just seem to be getting better and better. Clean office with plenty of supplies, and a great view. Free snacks!

Cons

My supervisor was never one to appreciate my hard work and was very unhelpful. She didn't want to train me, so it was very autonomous. And as an admin you're very separated from the rest of the group.

Evaluate all of your employees, even the ones who have been with the company a while, to see what they bring to the table.

After reading this review you should stop any communication with their hiring manager

I worked at blinkx

Pros

Good place for those who don't want to do anything, and happy with industry mediocre paycheck.

Cons

Double check everything they tell you on interview. Unbelievably incompetent management. Zero task delegation. No product vision whatsoever. New software and improvements have flatline adoption curve. Heavy rotation, people run like hell from this festering pit, and management is even ashamed to report employees gone. There are some good people that trapped there with acquisitions, but they leave as soon as they can. I couldn't tolerate it anymore and decided to quit.

Company needs a hard reboot.

Good place to work

I have been working at blinkx full-time

Pros

Good compensation, good benefits, flexible hours and good opportunities for advancement. Overall a very good place to work.

Cons

More collaboration between divisions would be helpful.

One of Blinkx's great strength is the diversity of its divisions, we should try to leverage that more and take advantage of each others skills and technologies.

Great place to work !

Current Employee - Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at blinkx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, start up vibe with corporate resources. As we grow we continue to take on new and challenging projects. Its been an awesome work experience ! Always learning new things and never bored.

Cons

You are expected to be "on" and available at all times. However this is rewarded with great company events and outings. Work hard , play hard attitude !

I appreciate our All Hand Meetings keeping all employee's up to date with the business.

Great place of employment!

Current Employee - Billing & Revenue Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Billing & Revenue Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at blinkx full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, approachable management, co-workers great to work with.

Cons

I currently do not have any cons for the company. Great place to work, great people to work with.

Great company to work for!

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

There's growth within the company. Everyone here are really friendly and willing to help one another. Since this is a start-up environment, you will have many opportunities to work with different team in this company

Cons

check in weekly with the employee would be nice

keep up the monthly meeting to let employees know what this company have achieved the past month

Worst professional experience of career.

Former Employee - Directory of Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Directory of Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at blinkx full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A few very nice people there, people I respected and wanted to work with.

Cons

Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with. No product vision or direction, tons of micro management. IMO, most of company is made up of C and D players. Very few high performers. My sentiments were not alone, this is a feeling at least some employees I worked with have themselves. Most telling fact, my contact at the company quit the same week I joined. This should have tipped me off that it was not a great place.

Open your eyes to what's really going on and who is making decisions.

Average Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at blinkx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's nice for working your straight eight hours and going home. There isn't much motivation to work extra or contribute more. Your coworkers you work with on a day to day basis are nice.

Cons

Blinkx doesn't create anything truly innovative or ground breaking on the tech side. There aren't many perks if at all for working there. This isn't an environment for you if you're looking to learn and grow. There isn't many areas to advance to.

Please talk to your employees and care about them more.