eBay Inc.

Updated Feb 27, 2014

eBay Inc. President and CEO John J. Donahoe

John J. Donahoe

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great shared purpouse and tech company

Business Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis company has great ideals, but sometime management fails to focus on their execution. People are very smart and fun to work with, and work life balance is great. Though there isn't that much challenge everyday and people are afraid often to go against the status quo and risk for new breakthrough ideas.

ConsThis company has great ideals, but sometime management fails to focus on. People are very smart and fun to work with, and work life balance is great. Though there isn't that much challenge everyday and people are afraid often to go against the status quo and risk for new breakthrough ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the management needs to devolve a small part of their time towards more operational activities, to truly understand our customers.

Disappointing work compared to the amazing people and benefits

Analytics Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people were the best part of the company. Everyone is extremely friendly, intelligent and social and it does not feel like a typical office. The benefits and location on the river in Richmond are equally great.

ConsThe company is too focused on weekly metric reviews and it feels like nothing ever gets accomplished. Because of this, the Analytics team is used more as a reporting function and there is very little opportunity to do real insight analysis.

There is also a real lack of speed and innovation. Even the smallest changes can take forever to implement and most initiatives come in response to something done my a competitor.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you continue to let senior management make all the decisions and put so much focus on tracking metrics, people will keep leaving. You have an amazing group of people, but they need to be used properly. Start thinking about the customer and use Analytics for analysis, not reporting.

Smart people in a slow moving organisation disconnected from customers

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart, well educated people with lots of broad experience.
Great office location, office facilities
Chance to work for a household brand and touch millions of customers' lives

ConsIncreasingly bureaucratic, many approvers and stakeholders to get anything done
Very slow moving for an ecommerce company, emphasis on having meetings and producing slides
Constant reorganisations and changes in direction harm efficiency and morale
Poor communications from senior management
Poor career development and people management
Lots of people with good consulting and business school experience but lacking tangible skills
Tends to follow the competitors rather than lead the way

eBay was wonderful. Very lucky to work with so many good people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWonderful people, great colleagues who became friends as well
Provides career opportunity in terms of relocation or moving across the other eBay owned business but one should still be proactive about own career
Free fruits and breakfast provided in the office

ConsThe company is getting too big in size so things are moving slower. More hoops to jump through to get things executed.

Puts people first

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time

Pros- Work life balance
- Interesting work
- Intelligent people

Cons- Bureaucratic, slow to react
- Constant re-organizations (2x a year)

Advice to Senior Management- Better transparency for promotions

Used to be great...now just ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at eBay Inc.

ProsGreat opportunities to learn and interface with a global team. Generally, people are smart and work together to get results. Campus culture is good as is the riverside location in Richmond.

ConsHigh concentration of management consultants, so a lot of pointless Powerpoint presentations. Richmond is a bit far from central London, so may be a con for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess short-term focus on quarterly results and invest in the future like Amazon.

Dying slowly.

Withheld (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at eBay Inc.

ProsThere are some great people, some really talented people in the business and given the mess it's in the enthusiasm and the passion to change is still strong. eBay is still a brand that creates emotion in people and being part of that can be hugely rewarding.

ConsUnfortunately none of the great, talented people are at the executive or senior management level. Due to a combination of poor leadership, lack of coherent vision and a fear/mistrust of the platform there's a complete inability to execute projects efficiently. The main product of eBay is Powerpoint, and it's an oft-quoted line that 'meetings are the work'.

People, particularly those more senior are fearful of making the commitment to change that's required to save this business from slowly dying on the vine. Focus seems to swing from one project to another depending on what is perceived as the current silver bullet.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring MBAs and Powerpoint jockeys, start hiring people who understand customers, the web and technology. Stop trying to be Amazon.

Great place to work

Senior Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at eBay Inc.

ProsGreat on the cv when it's time to find your next job. I worked at eBay for nearly 5 years and it really helps when it comes to looking for your next job. eBay is still seen as one of the top Internet companies to work for and is known for only hiring top talent so having it on your cv makes you stand out.

Also, it's a very interesting business to be in, right in the intersection between ecommerce and social media. Some would argue it was one of the first "web 2.0" companies and is still exploring that space.

ConsBIG machine, loads of processes. As with all big companies there is a lot of processes at eBay to the extend that product development can take a very long time. If you the type that "just want to get things done" I'd argue that eBay is not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the good work.

Professional internet marketing machine

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)

ProsUnderstanding of internet marketing
Professionalism of the people
Known brand
Ability to prioritise

ConsToo much management by powerpoint
Product not state of the art any more

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the managers with customer interaction

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

eBay Inc. Videos

eBay Inc. – Why Work for Us?

​​ ​​From humble beginnings to a global company that’s changing the future of commerce, eBay Inc. has always been a place where innovation and collaboration are celebrated. Today, eBay Inc. fosters an entrepreneurial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at eBay Inc. reviews and ratings in London, England — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for eBay Inc. CEO John J. Donahoe. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by eBay Inc. employees.