eBay Inc.

3.7
1,156 Reviews

eBay Inc. President and CEO John J. Donahoe
John J. Donahoe

Pros
  • Depending on your area in the company, there is a real emphasis on work-life balance (in 112 reviews)

• Alignment and strong purpose, working with very smart people - have direct impact from UK (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Once you reach manager level or higher, work-life balance will suffer (in 72 reviews)

• Frequent senior management attrition, leading to reorgs / policy changes (in 40 reviews)

More Highlights

High-fiving days are over

Current Employee - Affiliate Manager in Richmond, London, England
    Current Employee - Affiliate Manager in Richmond, London, England

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

eBay have amazing offices and a location to die for on Richmond riverside.

They are a company who truly live and breathe their values at all levels of the Org.

When you tell people you work for eBay there is an Oooooooeee factor

Dress code is pretty much optional; some developers swan about in shorts and sandals

Recent announcement of split from Paypal is fantastic; it was much like working for a hip eCommerce player with a Bank tagged-on to it just across the street.

Cons

Sickeningly political marketplaces teams, in an Oxbridge, tweed-with-leather- elbow-pad wearing way darling; though not so much in peripheral teams like catalog and monetization/pricing. Avoid Category mgt teams if that's not for you.

Cross team collaboration... like getting blood from a stone.

Managers are very keen to be liked and want to flash their leadership capabilities, which at times can get tiresome.

Some still yearn for the hi-fiving "let's give ourselves a clap for being so clever" days and it can be laughable at times.

Work life balance is a big focus for eBay, though if you want to step up your game on Intl projects, be prepared for a lot of evening and morning calls with anyone from USA to Australia.

Often way too many stakeholders putting their two pence in

Continue to give open "fire-sides" and insights at all levels.
    Buy more parking space...
    Bring back the ping-pong

RE: Promoting women in business.
    You need to have a rethink away from "how can we all make sure women get more of a look-in" and towards "how can we make sure the right people get the job, every time".

Some things are great - others not so

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in London, England

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large organisation with lots of opportunities to move geographies and change roles. Most people are super smart and generally nice to work with. Generally well paid. Work life balance is challenging but manageable.

Cons

Management is top heavy (too many chiefs and not enough highly empowered indians). Lots of MBA strategy people with no clue about product development. Product & technology groups are disempowered. Still very waterfall in terms of planning. Minimal agility at the ground level.

Strategy, planning & prioritisation is so high level it is useless. It offers no guidance to teams at the ground level as to how to make trade offs between multiple strategic initiatives.

Definite purpose and great colleagues

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

Cons

Slow decisions but getting better

Get faster

trying hard but not competing effectively in online retail space

I worked at eBay Inc. (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people and nice offices

Cons

Not innovative enough - likes consultants

Recruit more diverse staff from different backgrounds. Consultants cannot implement.

Great shared purpouse and tech company

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company has great ideals, but sometime management fails to focus on their execution. People are very smart and fun to work with, and work life balance is great. Though there isn't that much challenge everyday and people are afraid often to go against the status quo and risk for new breakthrough ideas.

Cons

This company has great ideals, but sometime management fails to focus on. People are very smart and fun to work with, and work life balance is great. Though there isn't that much challenge everyday and people are afraid often to go against the status quo and risk for new breakthrough ideas.

I think the management needs to devolve a small part of their time towards more operational activities, to truly understand our customers.

Great people, great place to work

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

Lots of room to learn, develop and move around

Cons

Very political sometimes with a lot of approvals required to push projects

Less middle management

International Internship

Former Employee - User Experience Intern in Richmond, London, England
    Former Employee - User Experience Intern in Richmond, London, England

I worked at eBay Inc. as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The London office had a very fun work environment with a colorful office and amenities like foozball tables. Also, as an intern, I was given major responsibility and independence in completing my tasks. I even got to present my findings to department heads and directors.

Cons

At times I needed to meet with other employees to finish my own projects, and I often found it difficult to actually meet up with other people. A few times, I had no shows to scheduled meetings. I attributed this to how hard everyone worked at eBay. Sometimes they got so busy they overlooked things.

Amazing company to work for. Best work experience ever.

I worked at eBay Inc. as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Tons of freedom to manage your work. Results focus company. Challenge and interesting projects. Great place to work and cool style of management.

Cons

It is hard to became a permanent employee.

Continue like this!! you are the best!

Disappointing work compared to the amazing people and benefits

Current Employee - Analytics Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Analytics Manager in London, England

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people were the best part of the company. Everyone is extremely friendly, intelligent and social and it does not feel like a typical office. The benefits and location on the river in Richmond are equally great.

Cons

The company is too focused on weekly metric reviews and it feels like nothing ever gets accomplished. Because of this, the Analytics team is used more as a reporting function and there is very little opportunity to do real insight analysis.

There is also a real lack of speed and innovation. Even the smallest changes can take forever to implement and most initiatives come in response to something done my a competitor.

If you continue to let senior management make all the decisions and put so much focus on tracking metrics, people will keep leaving. You have an amazing group of people, but they need to be used properly. Start thinking about the customer and use Analytics for analysis, not reporting.

Smart people in a slow moving organisation disconnected from customers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, well educated people with lots of broad experience.
    Great office location, office facilities
    Chance to work for a household brand and touch millions of customers' lives

Cons

Increasingly bureaucratic, many approvers and stakeholders to get anything done
    Very slow moving for an ecommerce company, emphasis on having meetings and producing slides
    Constant reorganisations and changes in direction harm efficiency and morale
    Poor communications from senior management
    Poor career development and people management
    Lots of people with good consulting and business school experience but lacking tangible skills
    Tends to follow the competitors rather than lead the way