eBay Inc.

eBay Inc. Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

eBay Inc. President and CEO John J. Donahoe

John J. Donahoe

Pros:
  • "Decent starting compensation and a good work life balance"
    in 90 reviews
  • "Many smart people with pretty diverse industry backgrounds"
    in 46 reviews
Cons:
  • "Once you reach manager level or higher, work-life balance will suffer"
    in 62 reviews
  • "Lack of alignment from senior management and lack of decision making ability"
    in 39 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great shared purpouse and tech company

Business Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis company has great ideals, but sometime management fails to focus on their execution. People are very smart and fun to work with, and work life balance is great. Though there isn't that much challenge everyday and people are afraid often to go against the status quo and risk for new breakthrough ideas.

ConsThis company has great ideals, but sometime management fails to focus on. People are very smart and fun to work with, and work life balance is great. Though there isn't that much challenge everyday and people are afraid often to go against the status quo and risk for new breakthrough ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the management needs to devolve a small part of their time towards more operational activities, to truly understand our customers.

International Internship

User Experience Intern (Former Employee)
Richmond, London, England

I worked at eBay Inc. as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe London office had a very fun work environment with a colorful office and amenities like foozball tables. Also, as an intern, I was given major responsibility and independence in completing my tasks. I even got to present my findings to department heads and directors.

ConsAt times I needed to meet with other employees to finish my own projects, and I often found it difficult to actually meet up with other people. A few times, I had no shows to scheduled meetings. I attributed this to how hard everyone worked at eBay. Sometimes they got so busy they overlooked things.

Great people, great place to work

I have been working at eBay Inc.

ProsLots of room to learn, develop and move around

ConsVery political sometimes with a lot of approvals required to push projects

Advice to Senior ManagementLess middle management

trying hard but not competing effectively in online retail space

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at eBay Inc. for less than a year

ProsNice people and nice offices

ConsNot innovative enough - likes consultants

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruit more diverse staff from different backgrounds. Consultants cannot implement.

Amazing company to work for. Best work experience ever.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at eBay Inc. as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat work-life balance. Tons of freedom to manage your work. Results focus company. Challenge and interesting projects. Great place to work and cool style of management.

ConsIt is hard to became a permanent employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue like this!! you are the best!

Disappointing work compared to the amazing people and benefits

Analytics Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people were the best part of the company. Everyone is extremely friendly, intelligent and social and it does not feel like a typical office. The benefits and location on the river in Richmond are equally great.

ConsThe company is too focused on weekly metric reviews and it feels like nothing ever gets accomplished. Because of this, the Analytics team is used more as a reporting function and there is very little opportunity to do real insight analysis.

There is also a real lack of speed and innovation. Even the smallest changes can take forever to implement and most initiatives come in response to something done my a competitor.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you continue to let senior management make all the decisions and put so much focus on tracking metrics, people will keep leaving. You have an amazing group of people, but they need to be used properly. Start thinking about the customer and use Analytics for analysis, not reporting.

Smart people in a slow moving organisation disconnected from customers

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart, well educated people with lots of broad experience.
Great office location, office facilities
Chance to work for a household brand and touch millions of customers' lives

ConsIncreasingly bureaucratic, many approvers and stakeholders to get anything done
Very slow moving for an ecommerce company, emphasis on having meetings and producing slides
Constant reorganisations and changes in direction harm efficiency and morale
Poor communications from senior management
Poor career development and people management
Lots of people with good consulting and business school experience but lacking tangible skills
Tends to follow the competitors rather than lead the way

eBay was wonderful. Very lucky to work with so many good people.

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWonderful people, great colleagues who became friends as well
Provides career opportunity in terms of relocation or moving across the other eBay owned business but one should still be proactive about own career
Free fruits and breakfast provided in the office

ConsThe company is getting too big in size so things are moving slower. More hoops to jump through to get things executed.

Wonderful company & brand, but a bit dysfunctional

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOne of the greatest global brands, recognised by both your mother, random people with stories to share with you and any future employer
Very impactful, and it continues to innovate and change ecommerce
European offices are all very cosmopolitan, with a high mix of non natives, and many opportunities for overseas working
Still quite dot com like - fussball, charitable activities, free bagels, and it's a multi-billion dollar company with massive profits, so it spends (too) profligately rather than worrying about the little things
Doing really well now it's out of turnaround. Lots of very bright people leading the company and a lot of very talented colleagues (but not quite enough accountability to get rid of those senior ones who are lacking)

ConsWhile it's trying to become more retail like and more internet like, Europe is still dominated by ex consulting/INSEAD types who don't read Techcrunch, haven't worked in retail and are stronger on strategy than execution
If your face fits, you can do very well, especially if you change roles with each yearly re-org and never get found out. If your face doesn't fit, you're out of luck.

Puts people first

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time

Pros- Work life balance
- Interesting work
- Intelligent people

Cons- Bureaucratic, slow to react
- Constant re-organizations (2x a year)

Advice to Senior Management- Better transparency for promotions

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

eBay Inc. Videos

eBay Inc. – Why Work for Us?

​​ ​​From humble beginnings to a global company that’s changing the future of commerce, eBay Inc. has always been a place where innovation and collaboration are celebrated. Today, eBay Inc. fosters an entrepreneurial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at eBay Inc. reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for eBay Inc. CEO John J. Donahoe. All 976 reviews are posted anonymously by eBay Inc. employees.