foursquare

foursquare.com

foursquare Reviews

Dennis Crowley

Foursquare is an amazing place to work at!

Support (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros-transparent company
    -welcoming/coffee culture
    -building a growing, exciting product
    -a lot of brilliant, amazing people who are always willing to listen and help
    -great food from around New York
    -awesome location in SoHo

Cons-tough to get hired internally
    -sometimes work can get a bit routine

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you're doing! it's incredibly exciting to be part of Foursquare at this time.

It was great and learned a ton working there.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe management is great. They have an extremely transparent environment and everyone is willing to hear you out and help when needed. There is a lot of cross collaboration among different teams throughout the company.

ConsAt times people can get very involved in their current projects that you can passed by them and people will not acknowledge each other. But this a typical behavior within any work environment.

A great startup to work for

(Former Employee)

Pros- Great culture: open and fun.
    - Great team: talented and genuinely nice people who get along with each other very well.
    - Great projects: As an engineer I had lots of freedom to work on very interesting problems.
    - Great learning opportunities: because of the open and super friendly environment, you talk to people outside of your area all the time and learn tons of stuff.

Cons- Creating the killer product in local search and discovery that billions of users will love is challenging.
    - Split of teams that work on the same thing between SF and NY may pose difficulties in some cases.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- Interesting problems to think about. It's still easy to move fast and launch things.
    - We are well positioned to bring innovation and invent things.
    - Engineering management is very technical and hands-on.
    - Freedom to work on things that you find interesting. Coming up with your own ideas is encouraged.
    - Top engineering talent. I can hardly imagine a startup with people who are that good. A lot of ex-Google engineers, but still a no-ego and no-layers culture. Most hires have >5 years of experience, some more, some less.
    - Very social and friendly place. Regular outings for drinks (only if you want to, no problem if you don't).
    - Transparency. I don't think there's anything hidden from anyone. Dennis and everyone else is very open to answering any question that you have and asking questions is actively encouraged.
    - Meetings are kept to a minimum if you're an engineer.
    - Good work-life balance for a startup.
    - Great opportunities for smart people to learn a lot at a fast pace.

Cons- Team is split between SF and New York, so it's easy to miss on conversations.
    - It's a startup, pay is less than a big company. Still quite reasonable though.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the values of the company that it was started with.

rare combination of strong technical team and strong social environment

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros+ Very talented team, engineers and non-engineers alike.
    + Fast-moving: deploys 4x a week, frequent releases of new features, emphasis on launching.
    + Really interesting data.
    + Great social environment: employees genuinely like one another, socialize frequently.
    + Regular travel to NY office.
    + Lots of goodwill from users.
    + Big monetization opportunity.
    + Good chance of being the next major, independent consumer tech company (after Google, FB, Twitter).

Cons+ Perks are decent but not as good as at other tech companies.
    + LBS space still being invented, so no succinct mission statement yet. Also means that user growth has to be hard-earned through constant improvement. Can't just sit back and count signups. On the plus side- users we work hard to earn are users we're more likely to keep.
    + Not as trendy as other startups. The backlash and snark have already begun.

Advice to Senior Management+ Keep the high hiring bar on both ICs and management, don't succumb to the temptation to grow quickly at the expense of quality.
    +Keep articulating the vision, internally and externally, as value proposition of LBS space is not always clear outside the tech industry early-adopter crowd.

top startup for engineers

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Pros- extremely talented team, top-tier engineers. 40% from Google with great reputations, all are academically trained computer science graduates
    - true engineering and product culture, 60-70% of the 100 employees can code
    - constant launches
    - cutting edge stack (scala, mongo db, aws, elastic mapreduce) and engineering leadership that believes in using whatever is the best tool for the job
    - clear market opportunity (local advertising) with a unique value proposition for businesses
    - true innovation in the mobile space
    - most fascinating data set (using billions of check-ins to make a personalized recommendation engine for places)
    - frequent travel (if you want) between new york and san francisco
    - best industry connections and exposure

Cons- perception that the product is simply a 'check-in' game
    - misperceptions about engineering structure.
    - over emphasis on ceo over talented team (the media's fault, not the company or ceo's though)
    - extremely crowded space with lots of "me too" startup companies diluting the brand and concept
    - split engineering between san francisco / new york can be awesome, but harder to sync over the time zone difference (otherwise we're in constant communication between campfire, ipad, live portals, etc)

Advice to Senior Managementi'm extremely satisfied with the company management. i feel confident about the product, the vision, and where the larger team is headed, especially compared to friends at competing startups.

Worked for foursquare? Contribute to the Community!