hmv

hmv CEO Trevor Moore

Trevor Moore

Sounds like fun?

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) London, England

Pros+ It's nice to be working with what I love as my enthusiasm for the product is genuine and I feel that the customers recognise this.

+ The staff discount, although its not that much, is very handy, especially for birthdays/Christmas.

+ A lot of the staff on my level are very friendly and have a genuine love of what they sell.

Cons- The store manager uses fear as their primary motivational tool.

- The management are always in contradiction with one another so you're ALWAYS going against someone's instructions.

- No regard for illness or pain when tasks are being delegated. I've often complained of my injuries being made worse by my work, only to be offered no sympathy. I'm currently very ill but I fear the consequences of taking time off.

- Disproportionate punishments follow menial crimes. For example, an employee is awaiting a disciplinary hearing for going to meet a friend outside of work hours to ask a favour of them when he was off sick. He received a barrage of verbal abuse from the manager for this.

- The store is absolutely FILTHY. No-one reports the store to environmental health as they fear being fired. There was a dead mouse in the audio department for a VERY long time and mice regularly eat the confectionary that's for sale. The half-eaten treats are removed rather than the whole batch. I die a little inside every time a customer buys a chocolate bar. The staff kitchen areas are disgusting and rodent-infested and I refuse to eat or prepare food in them. It's also so dusty that my hands are black after half an hour of work. Disgusting.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place needs a massive overhaul in the way in which it's managed, starting with respect and decency towards its employees. If I didn't have to worry about my wife and forthcoming family prospects, I'd leave right now. It's sad, because I spent my teenage years dying to work in HMV only to find out how awful it is to work there. I hope other stores fare better.

A well-structured company changing to work in the current climate.

Product Supplier Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsSupport in business training schemes
    casual dress
    Several points of contact for support
    Team atmosphere as departments run side by side.

Consnone substantial enough to list

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow greater creative input from employees at all levels regarding decisions, by offering a way to access current projects and send input electronically.

OK

Store Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGreat atmosphere as well as great people. Good working environment, OK staff discounts. Working in London makes it quite a social hub too.

ConsSome bad management at times, not enough staff discount, can't really say much more, there's no more negatives that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff more. Communication within the group should be a hell of a lot more transport, we should also have more head office meetings.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun at the start but like having your head sandpapered after a while...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England

ProsWorking with such a fun & exciting product, you would think makes an exciting environment to work right? Well, no. Not when its His masters voice. Only HMV could turn the stocking of CD's, DVD's & Games into such a laborious mire of tedium.

ConsThe demands placed on you will burn you out. HMV has a corporate environment that frankly makes the third reich seem relaxed. Recent years have not been kind, with most savvy employees heading toward the exit door. All that are left are a bunch of clueless, overpromoted, beaurocratic, soulless individuals more interested in their own careers than the company. An interest in music, film & games is paid occasional lip service, but to be honest, it feels hollow & contrivied. Besides, you'll spend most of your day blindly ticking boxes anyway.

Advice to Senior Management.

Fun Job

Key Holder (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat people, my love for music was supported, great customers, passion for what I sold

ConsNo room for advancement. I was with the company for 3 years, and was sent to help run other stores. I was constantly give hope that I would advance, but nothing ever came up.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict Managers, Regional Managers, HO staff - Treat your store staff better. Dont take them for granted. A little encouragement goes a long way.

Interesting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery very very nice music.

ConsOther employees were sometimes unhelpful.

Great untill the money ran out

Supervisor (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsGreat to work for largely with some great perks

ConsTreated poorly upon entering administration

Nightmarish void where souls were sold for company profit

(Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosyou met awesome people (both other employees that you worked with and the occasional famous person), the discount was alright

Conscorporate office down to managers were incredibly pushy with sales and would write you up for not up-selling products at cash, the stores are always a mess, the overhead radio plays all of twenty songs over and over again until you've gone crazy, the customers are rude, the backrooms are chaotic and dangerously messy, hard to take time off, hours are always being cut, no benefits for a full year (even if you are full time)

Advice to Senior Managementstop treating your employees like garbage - brand loyalty is not established with pushy sales people that are constantly terrified that they'll lose their jobs for not selling enough product

Wamp wamp

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHmv has a flexible for staff if you are a music/dvd lover you find some good obscure stuff. Managers usually try to accomodate you as best as you can.

ConsHigher ups at HMV didn't adapt and see the changes coming and now place is going under. Most senior staff saw it for a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould listen to staff and adapt to trends quicker and faster. Might be too late but good luck to HMV.

Very supportive company and very willing to give opportunities

ProsOne of the best reasons to work for HMV group is the support for going into professional qualifications such as ACCA

ConsOnce professional qualifications are complete at HMV, there may not be open vacancies within the organisation to progress into a more senior role

Advice to Senior ManagementHMV leadership is very good ideas and always looking forward, constantly keep employees aware of the plans of the company

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!