hmv

Add Photos

hmv CEO Trevor Moore

Trevor Moore

OK

Store Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at hmv

ProsGreat atmosphere as well as great people. Good working environment, OK staff discounts. Working in London makes it quite a social hub too.

ConsSome bad management at times, not enough staff discount, can't really say much more, there's no more negatives that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff more. Communication within the group should be a hell of a lot more transport, we should also have more head office meetings.

Fun at the start but like having your head sandpapered after a while...

London, England

I have been working at hmv

ProsWorking with such a fun & exciting product, you would think makes an exciting environment to work right? Well, no. Not when its His masters voice. Only HMV could turn the stocking of CD's, DVD's & Games into such a laborious mire of tedium.

ConsThe demands placed on you will burn you out. HMV has a corporate environment that frankly makes the third reich seem relaxed. Recent years have not been kind, with most savvy employees heading toward the exit door. All that are left are a bunch of clueless, overpromoted, beaurocratic, soulless individuals more interested in their own careers than the company. An interest in music, film & games is paid occasional lip service, but to be honest, it feels hollow & contrivied. Besides, you'll spend most of your day blindly ticking boxes anyway.

Advice to Senior Management.

Fun Job

Key Holder (Current Employee)

I have been working at hmv part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people, my love for music was supported, great customers, passion for what I sold

ConsNo room for advancement. I was with the company for 3 years, and was sent to help run other stores. I was constantly give hope that I would advance, but nothing ever came up.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict Managers, Regional Managers, HO staff - Treat your store staff better. Dont take them for granted. A little encouragement goes a long way.

Interesting

I worked at hmv

ProsVery very very nice music.

ConsOther employees were sometimes unhelpful.

Great untill the money ran out

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at hmv full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat to work for largely with some great perks

ConsTreated poorly upon entering administration

Nightmarish void where souls were sold for company profit

I worked at hmv

Prosyou met awesome people (both other employees that you worked with and the occasional famous person), the discount was alright

Conscorporate office down to managers were incredibly pushy with sales and would write you up for not up-selling products at cash, the stores are always a mess, the overhead radio plays all of twenty songs over and over again until you've gone crazy, the customers are rude, the backrooms are chaotic and dangerously messy, hard to take time off, hours are always being cut, no benefits for a full year (even if you are full time)

Advice to Senior Managementstop treating your employees like garbage - brand loyalty is not established with pushy sales people that are constantly terrified that they'll lose their jobs for not selling enough product

Wamp wamp

I worked at hmv

ProsHmv has a flexible for staff if you are a music/dvd lover you find some good obscure stuff. Managers usually try to accomodate you as best as you can.

ConsHigher ups at HMV didn't adapt and see the changes coming and now place is going under. Most senior staff saw it for a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould listen to staff and adapt to trends quicker and faster. Might be too late but good luck to HMV.

Very supportive company and very willing to give opportunities

I have been working at hmv

ProsOne of the best reasons to work for HMV group is the support for going into professional qualifications such as ACCA

ConsOnce professional qualifications are complete at HMV, there may not be open vacancies within the organisation to progress into a more senior role

Advice to Senior ManagementHMV leadership is very good ideas and always looking forward, constantly keep employees aware of the plans of the company

not good!

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at hmv

ProsThere' access to great music, movies, cd, dvd, blu-rays, just about anyting you want ot watch or listen to you can find it at hmv

Consthey don't really treat their employees that well, and there isn't really any room for improvement or any place to move up to

Advice to Senior Managementyou guys should make employee communication more easy and foster that kind of relationship instead of just bashing everyone around

very fun but forget about advancing

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at hmv

Pros-very friendly people
-discount (supplier cost, items become very cheap)
-flexible when asking for days off
-flexible around your availability
-managers become your friends

Cons-lack of appreciation from managers
-favouritism
-can get very boring on most night shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate ALL your workers.

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hmv reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for hmv CEO Trevor Moore. All 23 reviews are posted anonymously by hmv employees.