hmv

hmv CEO Trevor Moore

Trevor Moore

Games and Technology Seasonal Colleague

I worked at hmv

Pros- Decent pay compared to other
- Good if you have an interest in Tech and Games

Cons- None in Particular To be Honest

Fallen Giant - Still Falling

Royal Tunbridge Wells, England

I worked at hmv full-time for more than a year

ProsRelatively flexible shift pattern, staff discount on products, great camaraderie, relatively good prospects if you are willing to move to the other end of the country and are fanatical about HMV

ConsRegional management live on a different planet - management visits degenerate into turning the store into an ideal homes exhibition to match the pictures in the "handbook" (right down to the sticker drawer in the stock room). Not allowed a modicum of independent thought due to aforementioned "handbook" and centralised strategies. Working for the company is akin to joining a cult, if HMV is not THE all powerful obsession in your life - then expect limited to no job progression whatsoever. If you are lucky enough to progress - be prepared to be moved at a moments notice to other stores (i.e. you work in Scotland and are promoted to assistant manager at the other end of the country) and then maybe be told three months later that store is being closed due latest re-structuring. If you are lucky enough to get onto some kind of staff training other than handbook assimilation - expect that also to be cancelled without warning - successfully entered the graduate scheme only for it to be cancelled within a month and offered an inferior training position in its place (also in turn cancelled). For a company that had such a strong market position and with employees passionate about the products they sell it is a true disappointment that this was not being capitalised by the captains running the ship. Oh and they saw Digital and Online (iTunes et al) gunning for them for a long time and left it too late.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people and allow the true talent (rather than the latest round of robots fresh out of conditioning school) to shine. Alas - too late - The ship sank last year and is now being rationalised (i.e. being gutted). A real shame for such an iconic brand.

DIFFICULT TIMES

London, England

I worked at hmv as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIf you love music, it is an interesting place to work

ConsMoney difficulties
Will it or won't it survive?

Bit like a Cattle market

Warrington, North West England, England

I worked at hmv full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWould like to say but Isnt any

ConsWell Not the best Wages

Advice to Senior Management.....

Seasonal Customer Sales Assistant

Plymouth, England

I worked at hmv full-time for less than a year

ProsThe working environment was really good, a lot of the employees were around my age (Early 20's), we also all had a shared interest in Film, Music and some of us games.

Management broke the day up into hour blocks, so you could be on tills for an hour and then be on queue patrol. I think this was a good idea because it kept the day interesting and I didnt get bored doing the same job for 8 hours straight.

There was also the opportunity for overtime. I was employed over Christmas, so I don't know how much overtime is available all year round.

ConsYou were constantly under pressure to push sales, I know understand this is because they were going into administration.

Good experience

Chatham, England

I worked at hmv part-time for more than a year

Prosthe staff... NOT the suits upstairs

Consthe suits upstairs dont exactly care about those in the shops

Advice to Senior Management-

Commercial and Retail Finance Intern

Commercial and Retail Finance Intern (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at hmv as an intern for more than a year

ProsFriendly team and company
Great office
Good benefits and freebies

Really enjoyed the year I was at HMV the team I was in was really helpful and friendly. Really sad that they went into administration, I hope they survive and start to get stronger.

ConsTimes I werent doing much

Overall happy

Heathrow, England

I worked at hmv part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits and events eg. Conferences

ConsMust always keep up to date with new releases for films, music and tech, easy for full timers, more difficult for part timers.

Sounds like fun?

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at hmv full-time for more than a year

Pros+ It's nice to be working with what I love as my enthusiasm for the product is genuine and I feel that the customers recognise this.

+ The staff discount, although its not that much, is very handy, especially for birthdays/Christmas.

+ A lot of the staff on my level are very friendly and have a genuine love of what they sell.

Cons- The store manager uses fear as their primary motivational tool.

- The management are always in contradiction with one another so you're ALWAYS going against someone's instructions.

- No regard for illness or pain when tasks are being delegated. I've often complained of my injuries being made worse by my work, only to be offered no sympathy. I'm currently very ill but I fear the consequences of taking time off.

- Disproportionate punishments follow menial crimes. For example, an employee is awaiting a disciplinary hearing for going to meet a friend outside of work hours to ask a favour of them when he was off sick. He received a barrage of verbal abuse from the manager for this.

- The store is absolutely FILTHY. No-one reports the store to environmental health as they fear being fired. There was a dead mouse in the audio department for a VERY long time and mice regularly eat the confectionary that's for sale. The half-eaten treats are removed rather than the whole batch. I die a little inside every time a customer buys a chocolate bar. The staff kitchen areas are disgusting and rodent-infested and I refuse to eat or prepare food in them. It's also so dusty that my hands are black after half an hour of work. Disgusting.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place needs a massive overhaul in the way in which it's managed, starting with respect and decency towards its employees. If I didn't have to worry about my wife and forthcoming family prospects, I'd leave right now. It's sad, because I spent my teenage years dying to work in HMV only to find out how awful it is to work there. I hope other stores fare better.

A well-structured company changing to work in the current climate.

Product Supplier Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at hmv

ProsSupport in business training schemes
casual dress
Several points of contact for support
Team atmosphere as departments run side by side.

Consnone substantial enough to list

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow greater creative input from employees at all levels regarding decisions, by offering a way to access current projects and send input electronically.

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hmv reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for hmv CEO Trevor Moore. All 23 reviews are posted anonymously by hmv employees.