hmv

Trevor Moore

Bit like a Cattle market

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Warrington, North West England, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Warrington, North West England, England

I worked at hmv full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Would like to say but Isnt any

Cons

Well Not the best Wages

.....

Seasonal Customer Sales Assistant

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England

I worked at hmv full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The working environment was really good, a lot of the employees were around my age (Early 20's), we also all had a shared interest in Film, Music and some of us games.

Management broke the day up into hour blocks, so you could be on tills for an hour and then be on queue patrol. I think this was a good idea because it kept the day interesting and I didnt get bored doing the same job for 8 hours straight.

There was also the opportunity for overtime. I was employed over Christmas, so I don't know how much overtime is available all year round.

Cons

You were constantly under pressure to push sales, I know understand this is because they were going into administration.

Good experience

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Chatham, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Chatham, England

I worked at hmv part-time (more than a year)

Pros

the staff... NOT the suits upstairs

Cons

the suits upstairs dont exactly care about those in the shops

Commercial and Retail Finance Intern

Former Employee - Commercial and Retail Finance Intern in London, England
    Former Employee - Commercial and Retail Finance Intern in London, England

I worked at hmv as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly team and company
    Great office
    Good benefits and freebies

Really enjoyed the year I was at HMV the team I was in was really helpful and friendly. Really sad that they went into administration, I hope they survive and start to get stronger.

Cons

Times I werent doing much

Overall happy

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Heathrow, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Heathrow, England

I worked at hmv part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and events eg. Conferences

Cons

Must always keep up to date with new releases for films, music and tech, easy for full timers, more difficult for part timers.

Sounds like fun?

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I have been working at hmv full-time (more than a year)

Pros

+ It's nice to be working with what I love as my enthusiasm for the product is genuine and I feel that the customers recognise this.

+ The staff discount, although its not that much, is very handy, especially for birthdays/Christmas.

+ A lot of the staff on my level are very friendly and have a genuine love of what they sell.

Cons

- The store manager uses fear as their primary motivational tool.

- The management are always in contradiction with one another so you're ALWAYS going against someone's instructions.

- No regard for illness or pain when tasks are being delegated. I've often complained of my injuries being made worse by my work, only to be offered no sympathy. I'm currently very ill but I fear the consequences of taking time off.

- Disproportionate punishments follow menial crimes. For example, an employee is awaiting a disciplinary hearing for going to meet a friend outside of work hours to ask a favour of them when he was off sick. He received a barrage of verbal abuse from the manager for this.

- The store is absolutely FILTHY. No-one reports the store to environmental health as they fear being fired. There was a dead mouse in the audio department for a VERY long time and mice regularly eat the confectionary that's for sale. The half-eaten treats are removed rather than the whole batch. I die a little inside every time a customer buys a chocolate bar. The staff kitchen areas are disgusting and rodent-infested and I refuse to eat or prepare food in them. It's also so dusty that my hands are black after half an hour of work. Disgusting.

This place needs a massive overhaul in the way in which it's managed, starting with respect and decency towards its employees. If I didn't have to worry about my wife and forthcoming family prospects, I'd leave right now. It's sad, because I spent my teenage years dying to work in HMV only to find out how awful it is to work there. I hope other stores fare better.

A well-structured company changing to work in the current climate.

Former Employee - Product Supplier Assistant
    Former Employee - Product Supplier Assistant

I worked at hmv

Pros

Support in business training schemes
    casual dress
    Several points of contact for support
    Team atmosphere as departments run side by side.

Cons

none substantial enough to list

Allow greater creative input from employees at all levels regarding decisions, by offering a way to access current projects and send input electronically.

OK

Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England

I have been working at hmv

Pros

Great atmosphere as well as great people. Good working environment, OK staff discounts. Working in London makes it quite a social hub too.

Cons

Some bad management at times, not enough staff discount, can't really say much more, there's no more negatives that I can think of.

Listen to staff more. Communication within the group should be a hell of a lot more transport, we should also have more head office meetings.

Fun at the start but like having your head sandpapered after a while...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at hmv

Pros

Working with such a fun & exciting product, you would think makes an exciting environment to work right? Well, no. Not when its His masters voice. Only HMV could turn the stocking of CD's, DVD's & Games into such a laborious mire of tedium.

Cons

The demands placed on you will burn you out. HMV has a corporate environment that frankly makes the third reich seem relaxed. Recent years have not been kind, with most savvy employees heading toward the exit door. All that are left are a bunch of clueless, overpromoted, beaurocratic, soulless individuals more interested in their own careers than the company. An interest in music, film & games is paid occasional lip service, but to be honest, it feels hollow & contrivied. Besides, you'll spend most of your day blindly ticking boxes anyway.

Good management

Former Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff discount, good if you like music movies

Cons

Mall hours, low pay and not much time off

Pay more