hmv Reviews

Trevor Moore

Sounds like fun?

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I have been working at hmv full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ It's nice to be working with what I love as my enthusiasm for the product is genuine and I feel that the customers recognise this.

+ The staff discount, although its not that much, is very handy, especially for birthdays/Christmas.

+ A lot of the staff on my level are very friendly and have a genuine love of what they sell.

Cons

- The store manager uses fear as their primary motivational tool.

- The management are always in contradiction with one another so you're ALWAYS going against someone's instructions.

- No regard for illness or pain when tasks are being delegated. I've often complained of my injuries being made worse by my work, only to be offered no sympathy. I'm currently very ill but I fear the consequences of taking time off.

- Disproportionate punishments follow menial crimes. For example, an employee is awaiting a disciplinary hearing for going to meet a friend outside of work hours to ask a favour of them when he was off sick. He received a barrage of verbal abuse from the manager for this.

- The store is absolutely FILTHY. No-one reports the store to environmental health as they fear being fired. There was a dead mouse in the audio department for a VERY long time and mice regularly eat the confectionary that's for sale. The half-eaten treats are removed rather than the whole batch. I die a little inside every time a customer buys a chocolate bar. The staff kitchen areas are disgusting and rodent-infested and I refuse to eat or prepare food in them. It's also so dusty that my hands are black after half an hour of work. Disgusting.

This place needs a massive overhaul in the way in which it's managed, starting with respect and decency towards its employees. If I didn't have to worry about my wife and forthcoming family prospects, I'd leave right now. It's sad, because I spent my teenage years dying to work in HMV only to find out how awful it is to work there. I hope other stores fare better.

A well-structured company changing to work in the current climate.

Former Employee - Product Supplier Assistant
    Former Employee - Product Supplier Assistant

I worked at hmv

Pros

Support in business training schemes
    casual dress
    Several points of contact for support
    Team atmosphere as departments run side by side.

Cons

none substantial enough to list

Allow greater creative input from employees at all levels regarding decisions, by offering a way to access current projects and send input electronically.

OK

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England

I have been working at hmv

Pros

Great atmosphere as well as great people. Good working environment, OK staff discounts. Working in London makes it quite a social hub too.

Cons

Some bad management at times, not enough staff discount, can't really say much more, there's no more negatives that I can think of.

Listen to staff more. Communication within the group should be a hell of a lot more transport, we should also have more head office meetings.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun at the start but like having your head sandpapered after a while...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at hmv

Pros

Working with such a fun & exciting product, you would think makes an exciting environment to work right? Well, no. Not when its His masters voice. Only HMV could turn the stocking of CD's, DVD's & Games into such a laborious mire of tedium.

Cons

The demands placed on you will burn you out. HMV has a corporate environment that frankly makes the third reich seem relaxed. Recent years have not been kind, with most savvy employees heading toward the exit door. All that are left are a bunch of clueless, overpromoted, beaurocratic, soulless individuals more interested in their own careers than the company. An interest in music, film & games is paid occasional lip service, but to be honest, it feels hollow & contrivied. Besides, you'll spend most of your day blindly ticking boxes anyway.

ok

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at hmv part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

people, some of the discounts

Cons

never got shifts, schedules too variable and not consistent

Constant Tasking

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv full-time for more than a year

Pros

Product you are selling is something people are interested in so it makes for great conversations with customers.

Cons

Constant tasking makes it difficult to focus on customer service, even though that is what you will be challenged on as a manager.

Fun Job

Current Employee - Key Holder  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at hmv part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, my love for music was supported, great customers, passion for what I sold

Cons

No room for advancement. I was with the company for 3 years, and was sent to help run other stores. I was constantly give hope that I would advance, but nothing ever came up.

District Managers, Regional Managers, HO staff - Treat your store staff better. Dont take them for granted. A little encouragement goes a long way.

Interesting

I worked at hmv

Pros

Very very very nice music.

Cons

Other employees were sometimes unhelpful.

Great untill the money ran out

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at hmv full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great to work for largely with some great perks

Cons

Treated poorly upon entering administration

Nightmarish void where souls were sold for company profit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv

Pros

you met awesome people (both other employees that you worked with and the occasional famous person), the discount was alright

Cons

corporate office down to managers were incredibly pushy with sales and would write you up for not up-selling products at cash, the stores are always a mess, the overhead radio plays all of twenty songs over and over again until you've gone crazy, the customers are rude, the backrooms are chaotic and dangerously messy, hard to take time off, hours are always being cut, no benefits for a full year (even if you are full time)

stop treating your employees like garbage - brand loyalty is not established with pushy sales people that are constantly terrified that they'll lose their jobs for not selling enough product

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!