iCrossing

www.icrossing.com

iCrossing Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Brian Powley

UK office - great clients and professionals, no so great work ethics

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsThe client portfolio is great and the agency is gaining many prices and ranking. It is also great for career progression.

ConsWork culture does not facilitate team building and working over two offices makes your commute time a real down side

Advice to Senior ManagementRetaining clients comes after retaining staff

Veritable Mediocrity

Senior UI Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA (US)

ProsGreat people and personalities on a non-work-related basis. Good social gatherings outside of work -- if that's something important to you in your career. (corporate) Upper-management seems to have a good grasp on the needs of the market and a talent for identifying companies appropriate for acquisition.

ConsPoor leadership in the sense of managerial and lead personnel allowing very poor quality code into production. Assigning business-critical work to junior-level developers which do not possess the requisite knowledge or experience to complete important tasks with minimal error. Proper assessment of necessary skills during interviewing prospective candidates would eliminate many of the aforementioned issues. Regular communication to personnel regarding performance concerns should be done more than once a year... when its painfully obvious its not important how one performs there job as long as everyone likes them, despite poor quality of work. Also, whenever I made "diplomatic" suggestions regarding process improvement they were neglected and ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementMeritocracy, expertise, and experience should be rewarded before seniority (length of employment within the company).

A little misdirected at the moment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive pay, good vacation and benefits. Decent culture on the west coast.

ConsNarrow growth opportunities, bonus payout tied to metrics you most likely don't have a personal impact on.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a clear direction, monetize and stick to it. Continue to work on silo'd departments to allow more collaboration.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of corporate strategy

Client Services (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat benefits, good pay. At one time, iCrossing was a wonderful place to work, but many of the more effective leaders with vision have moved on.

ConsNo vision. Many employees have worked there for 10 or more years, coming from old web development companies. Bloated senior management with little vision. Hearst acquisition hasn't seemed to bring in business or partnerships.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Hearst: Sell! Advice to Management: Full service agencies are becoming dinosaurs. Do what you do best.

Top Heavy

ProsIncredibly smart people who work very hard, team oriented.

ConsUnreasonable financial expectations by the parent company means that all bonus potential is gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the fat. Make the hard decisions. Too many egos will not win business, a solid portfolio of work will.

The glory days have passed iC by

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong work-life balance. Really talented creative team.

ConsHuge talent exit over last two years. Really poor track record of delivering on promises of bonuses

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't turn your back on Powley

Dont't Come Work Here.

ProsNot many pros anymore to speak of. There used to be more the cheap gym and lunches, and the 9-5 hours. We used to have fun, positive morale, a business development team that could actually bring in business, and teams that wanted to be in the office and work hard.

ConsThe list is long. Leadership is ineffective, incapable, useless and not worthy of their paychecks. They are so distant from the ground that it doesn't matter how often we use them as escalation points. They don't understand they business they are running since we can't seem to generate a profit. Nor do they know how to run their own departments and provide leadership. The Ad Week article was correct when it said we can't do social well. God forbid they hire the right people or let people go fit with the agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave iCrossing and let Hearst recruit executives that understand how to run a business because everyone leaves.

Sinking Ship

ProsA few years ago this was one of the most incredible places to work.

ConsWhile I can't pinpoint exactly where iCrossing lost their way, I attest to the fact that they have done just that. They're losing more business than they're winning, and their attempt to transform from a search and technology leader into a full-service digital agency is failing miserably. The one area they've succeeded in is transforming the culture from highly collaborative to extremely hostile. It's exactly the climate found in most ad agencies, so at least they got that one right. Avoid the LA and NY offices at all costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not going to pretend to advise upper management. It's all in the data. HR, benefits, compensation, and growth are all still intact, but the culture has got to change. Management priorities have shifted from collaborative to CYA, and the shameful deflection of blame. It's a cancer that's killing this once awesome company.

Bring your life vest, it's a sinking ship.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood work/life balance, easy work load, flexible with working from home, big name clients.

Cons-Retention: There is a major issue with retaining both clients and staff. Turnover here happens every time you blink an eye (some people leave on their own, others are forced out), and clients drop at a rapid rate.
    -More cliques than high school: Teams are so segmented and there's is such little interaction between departments it's a wonder things ever get done. Going into the kitchen at lunch is like walking into a high school cafeteria. No one says "hi" or even smiles and teams sit together at tables and stare everyone else down.
    -Management: Who knows what they actually do, you never see them and they clearly don't have a clue what is going on in their departments that they're managing.
    -Culture: There is a serious lack of culture in this office, and quite frankly I've never worked in a place where employees looked so miserable and bored.
    -What exactly is iCrossing?: I worked here for a year and still don't have the slightest clue what kind of agency iCrossing is trying to be. They don't know what they want to be either.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentivize your employees! Promote them, give them raises, actually care about what they're doing. There are a lot of people that are truly doing great work that is bettering the business, give them an incentive before they jump ship too.

Misleading statements and poor leadership from senior management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed the people I worked with and the openness to new ideas.

ConsManagement has made a series of misleading statements over the last year. I understand that they need employees to believe in the company, but they should treat the employees like family. You can never go wrong with being honest.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest.

Worked for iCrossing? Contribute to the Community!