iCrossing

Updated 23 February 2015
Updated 23 February 2015
2.6

Brian Powley

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, easy work load, flexible with working from home, big name clients (in 6 reviews)

• You'll learn a LOT very quickly and that experience will be in high demand from other employers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Bloated senior management with little vision (in 4 reviews)

• Extremely top-heavy organization (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

UK office - great clients and professionals, no so great work ethics

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at iCrossing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The client portfolio is great and the agency is gaining many prices and ranking. It is also great for career progression.

Cons

Work culture does not facilitate team building and working over two offices makes your commute time a real down side

Retaining clients comes after retaining staff

I Enjoyed My Time at iCrossing

Former Employee - Senior SEO Strategist in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior SEO Strategist in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at iCrossing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The office culture is excellent. The people they hire are a lot of fun to work with. The whole idea of working hard and playing hard fits well with this company.

Cons

None that come to mind.

Very Happy Here

I have been working at iCrossing

Pros

Competitive Pay
    Incredibly intelligent and humble employees
    No one is micro-managed at any level
    All ideas are welcome no matter your level
    Education, and innovative thinking is encouraged

Cons

Vacation allotment is not great.
    Employees haven't received bonuses in a few years.
    Depending on who you work with, you may feel there is a lack of structure.

Highschool clique mentality, but great dev team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at iCrossing

Pros

Despite not being as straight-forward or as organized as they could be, they do a tremendous job at reacting swiftly to there primary client. The client is very demanding, and it requires the dev team to be quick and agile. They are great at hiring strong developers. Good place to take the next step and learn-up.

Cons

You are in or you are out. There is a strong clique mentality at this office location. What makes it worse is no one really fills you in on what they really want from you. Very indirect and passive aggressive leadership team on the primary account. Horrible with promotions. They will ask you to do work above you pay grade and happily string you along for over a year with continued excuses. I saw this happen to myself, and several others. One in fact has been there for years, always going above and beyond, and was strung along for over a year before I left in this situation (not sure if finally was promoted officially). Since I left I was told two others were also passed up for promotion. There are many people who keep paying their dues, and keep getting passed up on the title and pay raise.

Break up the afore-mentioned leadership team if you have not already. I would not be surprised if you loose the client otherwise. Make more effort to reward your strong employees. It costs you more int he end to loose good talent and start over, then to just give them the nod they deserve.

Solid company in Digital Marketing

Former Employee - Analytics Engineer
    Former Employee - Analytics Engineer

I worked at iCrossing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with different clients in high speed industry is great for career progression. Many different product offerings to work with. Being a generalist or a specialist are both valuable in the company.

Cons

Being owned by Hearst feels to have negatively impacted the culture. Some departments seem to be overworked. 401K match exists, but is not great.

Fast paced but learn a ton

I worked at iCrossing

Pros

Knowledge, experience, skill sets, growth, connections, coworkers, perks, vacation

Cons

Hectic, can be overworked depending on clients

Great company that lost its direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at iCrossing

Pros

Great place to learn. Get what you can as quickly as you can

Cons

Senior Management. Intrusions from Hearst

Need radical changes to management. Culture has been lost

Great company to work for with lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Media Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Media Analyst in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at iCrossing

Pros

Flexible work life, good office culture

Cons

Promotions are hard to get

Avoid working here.

I worked at iCrossing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the regular people to the real work.

Cons

You will work long hours and will not be rewarded or recognized for it. You may be asked to "Step up" and take a new role but you will not get the title, nor get the pay increase, nor get the authority but you will be asked to accept the responsibility. The excuse given will be that "the company believes you should be seen to do the job first"... but it's really just getting more work out of you on the cheap... and cheap is what I found out is what matters at iCrossing. Because no matter how much work/effort/time you commit, if your position can be off-shored, or even on-shored to a cheaper candidate (a H-1B for example)... they will walk you out the door with no ceremony. The benefits are rather standard and the 401k is rather sub-standard. HR does not communicate very well changes in benefits.. example, the vacation structure was changed in the middle of the year and most of the personnel I know almost lost half their PTO at the end of the year due to this mis/un-communication. Many of the staff work from home as most just manage off-shore teams. The offices are sparse and mostly empty. Internal network goes on the fritz on a regular basis and this also takes the phone system down with it. The operation is owned and run from Hearst in NYC and they obviously have a provincial view of anything not in NYC. I would suggest you give them a pass if possible or if you do take a position consider it... a temporary thing... as they certainly will consider it so.

An uneasy and uninspired work environment

Former Employee - Designer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Designer in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at iCrossing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some talented individuals are there. Opportunity to work with a number of clients. Decent to standard benefits packages. Flexible schedules and work-from-home capabilities depending on your role and manager.

Cons

Lower than average pay for roles below the executive level. No significant raises really given in the past two years. Clique-ish environment that harbors an attitude of self preservation rather than supporting and bettering one another. Lack of clear communication between staff and upper management. Elitist attitudes and egos hold back a lot of the potential for great work. Lack of company culture leaves people to fend for themselves in a "sink or swim" environment. You won't find encouragement or support for career growth.

Start treating employees fairly and provide a clear career trajectory. Invest in your employees with actual support and opportunities for development. Don't treat people as being expendable or they will surely move on to greener pastures where they are appreciated and given the support and encouragement they need.