iRobot

www.irobot.com

iRobot Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
iRobot – Bedford – “View from outside the iRobot headquarter office…”

iRobot Chairman and CEO Colin M. Angle

Colin M. Angle

Pros
  • Great work/life balance including fairly flexible work schedules(in 5 reviews)

• Get to work with cutting edge technology(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Many managers tend to micromanage thus becoming an irritant(in 4 reviews)

• t know how to motivate or retain top talent(in 3 reviews)

Great Learning experience

Senior Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA (US)

ProsGreat technology, great people and a fast paced environment.

ConsDifficult for people who do not have a start up mentatlity

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat work. Keep it up

Best employer of all those at which I have worked.

SQA (Current Employee) Bedford, MA (US)

ProsEncourages employees. No blame games. Cutting edge jobs & technology. Fantastic benefits. Great work/life balance including fairly flexible work schedules. Many educational opportunities. Generous community activities (huge supporter of FIRST & related activities). Completely a team atmosphere, no empire building.

ConsHard to move laterally (small company)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work, fantastic employee-centric atmosphere. Encourage lateral moves where possible to support career growth.

Best Internship program in the planet. Disorganized and contentious workplace

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsThe internship program is indeed world class. The interns are involved in varying activities and projects on a daily basis. The lead intern (on a second tour) acts like a manager and runs the intern program.

ConsThe roles and reponsibilities are not well defined and leave a wide range of lattitude to perform the tasks that you like to perform. However, making the various stakeholders (program mgmt, product mgmt, engineering, etc..) satisified is very difficult because the daily tasks and goals are not well defined. Therefore, agressive and contentious employees achieve at the expense of more proficient people who want to act as part of a team. I asked my manager which tasks I should work on. The repsonse was that the manager was uncertain as to the responsibiliities for supporting the other finctionalities (program mgmt, etc...).

Advice to Senior ManagementPut in an internal audit system and continuous improvement system so that the very smart poeple that are hired can help to improve the processes and systems in the company. Otherwise the company will eventually fail when they do not replace the ROOMBA cash cow.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting, diverse, disappointing, uninspiring

ProsHalf-day Fridays for the summer. Beer cart. Exceptionally good marketing team. People don’t work as hard as those at other companies I’ve worked at.

ConsLip service to individual performance and skills. No value associated with capabilities beyond specific job description. Limited opportunities for internal growth unless you are personal friends with upper management. Continual layoffs for the last 3 years. Don’t know how to motivate or retain top talent … the reason for so many openings. Not a state-of-the-art company.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that the technical staff and not the support staff are the life blood of the company.

Too unorganized...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeer cart, Fun people...that's it.

ConsYou'll NEVER be appreciated for what you do for the company. Highly invisible and too many layers. Everyone seems to be "Senior or Principle Engineer", too many managers/Sr. manager/directors. They are about to be beaten-up by Korean competitors. The only thing iRobot has ever made is it's roomba - everything else is just copy. So unimaginative. If you really care for the company you work for, this is not the place for you, as the company will never care back. People are burdened to death, with no career growth!
    HR is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare for the people who contribute towards your success EVERYDAY.

Great engineers, poor program management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bedford, MA (US)

ProsA lot of high skilled and talented employees in ALL areas
    Great pay and benefits
    Wonderful vacation time

ConsReally odd purchasing process, take way to long to buy something
    Different organizational units are completely out of sync
    This company of 600 is run likes it's a company of 100,000, NGC/Lockheed and Boeing are more efficient and have less red tape
    Program management here is very weird, extremely inefficient, can't seem to make decisions. Everyone is passing the buck.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be Google and be iRobot

Fun Jobs, Odd Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone there loves what they're doing. You will probably never find another place so full of people who love their jobs so much. That alone makes it a cool culture. There are a lot of innovations and very cool things to work on from the mechanical to electrical to software.

ConsThey aren't the most software-friendly environment. The founders were mostly mechanical in disciplines, so software scheduling is sometimes a little bizarre. Software decisions are often made on history, not necessarily what's good going forward and you end up stuck with those decisions (as does the company).

Overall, they have the worst IT support on the planet. The individual workers are really good, positive and helpful, but the structure is horrific. Makes the environment limiting and difficult to get technical things done. Too bad, because the team on the ground is high-quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk around. Get back to your roots. There are so many innovators in this company, use them to innovate.

Fix IT support's mission. Look at the little things, free up people to be more productive.

Would of stayed if I could

Systems Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Bedford, MA (US)

ProsGreat work environment, Everyone that works there is there to help you and build a better product. Fun laid back atmosphere but work still gets done. Innovative products, Working on the Defense side helping people change the world and saving lives was pretty cool.

ConsA lot of disorganization on the project I worked on, Miscommunication constantly causing more work and stress. When shipping robots out for conventions and etc. not given enough time to make sure robot and all accessories were there at times.
    I was there as a contractor then received an internship so I had the grunt work, and never missing a single day of work I had a passion and drive to really learn from iRobot. I tried to get an extension on my internship because I knew there was so much more for me to learn, however I was told because I did not go to a four year institution this would not be possible. I do see great things in the future for iRobot I wish I could have been apart of

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to really see how the company works as a whole. Learn from the lowest employee you have working there to your most senior engineer. If you want a company to grow and prosper you have to get out of the office and in the field and the labs and only then will you grow.

Stay away from iRobot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual dress code but that is just about the only remaining positive for working at iRobot. It used to be good a few years ago...before some horrible managers came on board.

ConsSuper political. Constant lies from management. Lots of random layoffs. Stagnant product line. Unappreciated employees. Glass ceiling once you've been there a few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart rewarding honesty

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Cool Stuff

Engineer (Former Employee) Bedford, MA (US)

ProsVery intelligent, motivated and collaborative employees.
    Minimal politics. Most employees trying to do the right thing.
    Very cool products that lead in their markets.
    Profitable and huge growth in consumer robotics.
    Great culture and mission. Lots of training, family activities, team building.
    Competitive pay.
    Flexible work arrangements.

ConsProduct plans and priorities change a lot, so engineers sometimes jerked around and creates a lot of inefficiency.
    Too many processes force low value work.
    Lots of management changes & re-organizations.
    Unrealistically aggressive program timelines without sufficient resources causes unnecessary stress and sets teams up for failure. Too many programs planned for available resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more resources on fewer programs. This will improve employee morale, engagement and retention.

Worked for iRobot? Contribute to the Community!