iRobot

Updated 14 November 2014
3.1

iRobot Chairman and CEO Colin M. Angle
Colin M. Angle

Pros
  • Great work/life balance including fairly flexible work schedules (in 5 reviews)

• Get to work with cutting edge technology (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant lies and misinformation coming from upper management (in 5 reviews)

• Many managers tend to micromanage thus becoming an irritant (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great intern program, but obvious disorganization for levels above "intern"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering in Bedford, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering in Bedford, MA (US)

I worked at iRobot as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-great pay
    -flexible hours
    -great environment and culture
    -you get to spend your day surrounded by robots

Cons

-pretty obvious that a lot of the senior staff are just as directionless as the mid-level and entry level engineers.
    -you will not be hired (at all) for an entry level position unless you were previously (or currently) an intern. This was openly stated by management. You could be a valedictorian of your school, and the most they'll offer you is an internship if you haven't already had one with them.
    -very much a "self-starter" attitude at the company, when it comes to problem solving. If you identify a problem, then you should identify the solution, and then just tell the manager in charge of the project your idea - 9/10 they'll say "Good. Do that". This will get you noticed in all the right ways, but it creates an environment of "left hand not knowing what right is doing"
    -the separation between teams is understandable from a 'commercial espionage' stand point, but it hinders a lot of idea generation. You can really only seek out your team mates to bounce ideas off of to troubleshoot.

Everyone higher than associate is some kind of "Sr. Principal manager". I know they're just titles, but if your employees cannot clearly see the chain of command, then they cannot figure out who to do to for work or to see about the red tape in their way. Play with your management structure, because even from the perspective of an intern, it is obvious that the middle management is an organizational mess.

Coolest Tech Company

I worked at iRobot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting categories. Incredible potential for the products and research. Passionate people. Work hard, play hard culture.

Cons

Oddly political for a company that's not so big.

Listen to everyone. Follow through on your Empowerment mission.

iRobot review for mechanical engineer

I worked at iRobot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place work, with cool company and cool product

Cons

Nothing that i know of as Cons

Great to be part of a new market.

I worked at iRobot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people advancing autonomous systems development

Cons

Company uncertain whether they want to be a near term or long term success. Some caustic leadership at the division level.

Great Learning experience

Current Employee - Senior Reliability Engineer in Bedford, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Reliability Engineer in Bedford, MA (US)

I have been working at iRobot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great technology, great people and a fast paced environment.

Cons

Difficult for people who do not have a start up mentatlity

Great work. Keep it up

iRobot is Awesome

Former Employee - EE Intern in Bedford, MA (US)
    Former Employee - EE Intern in Bedford, MA (US)

I worked at iRobot as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very nice people and a great company culture

Cons

Some of the ME engineers expect the interns to put in more hours then they are compensated for.

Best employer of all those at which I have worked.

Current Employee - SQA in Bedford, MA (US)
    Current Employee - SQA in Bedford, MA (US)

I have been working at iRobot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Encourages employees. No blame games. Cutting edge jobs & technology. Fantastic benefits. Great work/life balance including fairly flexible work schedules. Many educational opportunities. Generous community activities (huge supporter of FIRST & related activities). Completely a team atmosphere, no empire building.

Cons

Hard to move laterally (small company)

Keep up the great work, fantastic employee-centric atmosphere. Encourage lateral moves where possible to support career growth.

I'm still here

Current Employee - Senior, Engineer in Bedford, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior, Engineer in Bedford, MA (US)

I have been working at iRobot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, and I get to work with some very bright people. Occasionally some interesting projects materialize.

Cons

Advancement is not based on your ability, skill, or contributions. Rather it is based on your friendships and out of work activities. I was told by management that i should spend less time with my kids and more time participating in after work functions, I should choose between my family or my career.
    Management does not respect the input from experienced people and usually prefers to explore the wrong direction on things, then after the time and budget is expended may consider the advice of more experienced input. Makes you wonder why profits are not what they could be.
    Upper level management seems to have many secret agenda and the workforce feels disconnected, even when they do share something most people feel they are not completely truthful.

Clean your house out, some of your Managers/Directors need to be shown the door, bring in some experienced people and let them get the job done without the micromanagement and other hobbles you have in place now,

Best Internship program in the planet. Disorganized and contentious workplace

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at iRobot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The internship program is indeed world class. The interns are involved in varying activities and projects on a daily basis. The lead intern (on a second tour) acts like a manager and runs the intern program.

Cons

The roles and reponsibilities are not well defined and leave a wide range of lattitude to perform the tasks that you like to perform. However, making the various stakeholders (program mgmt, product mgmt, engineering, etc..) satisified is very difficult because the daily tasks and goals are not well defined. Therefore, agressive and contentious employees achieve at the expense of more proficient people who want to act as part of a team. I asked my manager which tasks I should work on. The repsonse was that the manager was uncertain as to the responsibiliities for supporting the other finctionalities (program mgmt, etc...).

Put in an internal audit system and continuous improvement system so that the very smart poeple that are hired can help to improve the processes and systems in the company. Otherwise the company will eventually fail when they do not replace the ROOMBA cash cow.

Interesting, diverse, disappointing, uninspiring

I have been working at iRobot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Half-day Fridays for the summer. Beer cart. Exceptionally good marketing team. People don’t work as hard as those at other companies I’ve worked at.

Cons

Lip service to individual performance and skills. No value associated with capabilities beyond specific job description. Limited opportunities for internal growth unless you are personal friends with upper management. Continual layoffs for the last 3 years. Don’t know how to motivate or retain top talent … the reason for so many openings. Not a state-of-the-art company.

Understand that the technical staff and not the support staff are the life blood of the company.

iRobot Photos

View from outside the iRobot headquarter office located in Bedford, MA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.59)

+ Add Photo