iRobot
www.irobot.com Bedford, MA 500 to 999 Employees

iRobot Reviews

Updated Mar 15, 2014
iRobot – Bedford – “View from outside the iRobot headquarter office…”

iRobot Chairman and CEO Colin M. Angle

Colin M. Angle

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is good and half day Fridays during the summer is definitely very good for employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Some real good people who want the company to succeed"
    in 2 reviews
Cons:
  • "Many managers tend to micromanage thus becoming an irritant"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Government money going away and over the years have really done nothing to get military robots retasked and into other markets"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Would of stayed if I could

Systems Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
Bedford, MA (US)

I worked at iRobot as an intern for more than a year

ProsGreat work environment, Everyone that works there is there to help you and build a better product. Fun laid back atmosphere but work still gets done. Innovative products, Working on the Defense side helping people change the world and saving lives was pretty cool.

ConsA lot of disorganization on the project I worked on, Miscommunication constantly causing more work and stress. When shipping robots out for conventions and etc. not given enough time to make sure robot and all accessories were there at times.
I was there as a contractor then received an internship so I had the grunt work, and never missing a single day of work I had a passion and drive to really learn from iRobot. I tried to get an extension on my internship because I knew there was so much more for me to learn, however I was told because I did not go to a four year institution this would not be possible. I do see great things in the future for iRobot I wish I could have been apart of

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to really see how the company works as a whole. Learn from the lowest employee you have working there to your most senior engineer. If you want a company to grow and prosper you have to get out of the office and in the field and the labs and only then will you grow.

Stay away from iRobot

I worked at iRobot for more than 5 years

ProsCasual dress code but that is just about the only remaining positive for working at iRobot. It used to be good a few years ago...before some horrible managers came on board.

ConsSuper political. Constant lies from management. Lots of random layoffs. Stagnant product line. Unappreciated employees. Glass ceiling once you've been there a few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart rewarding honesty

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Cool Stuff

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at iRobot full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery intelligent, motivated and collaborative employees.
Minimal politics. Most employees trying to do the right thing.
Very cool products that lead in their markets.
Profitable and huge growth in consumer robotics.
Great culture and mission. Lots of training, family activities, team building.
Competitive pay.
Flexible work arrangements.

ConsProduct plans and priorities change a lot, so engineers sometimes jerked around and creates a lot of inefficiency.
Too many processes force low value work.
Lots of management changes & re-organizations.
Unrealistically aggressive program timelines without sufficient resources causes unnecessary stress and sets teams up for failure. Too many programs planned for available resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more resources on fewer programs. This will improve employee morale, engagement and retention.

Highly recommended company to work at

Mechanical Engineer Intern (Current Employee)
Bedford, MA (US)

I have been working at iRobot as an intern for less than a year

Prosno dress code, relaxed working environment, friendly co-workers, the company has a young feel to it, senior engineers don't come across as anti-social people who rose to where they were simply because they have been with the company for their entire career

ConsSometimes can get lost in the mix as a ME intern due to the structuring of the program. Some of the younger engineers who went through the internship program themselves liked to dump the most tedious work onto the interns which prevented some interns from gaining the valuable experience that the company has to offer

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a slightly more structured internship program for the ME's. It would have been helpful if we had

It was a positive experience over all

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at iRobot as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThere are some nice people there, they have a beer and snack cart that comes around every so often, and it seems to be a pretty stable company. They do fun things around the holidays.

ConsAlthough there are a lot of nice people, like most places, it seems to be more about who you know rather than what you know. The loudest, most outgoing people move up the ranks. Extroverts are very much valued here. Some people are so concerned about looking good that they will actually hold others back and prevent others from reaching their fullest potential for fear of looking bad in comparison. It all depends on what department you're in though.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you bring people in on a temporary basis and they do a good job for you, try to find a way to keep them rather than letting good, hard working people go.

Internship Review

Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
Bedford, MA (US)

I worked at iRobot as an intern for less than a year

ProsAmazing staff and intership program, very relaxed but hardworking. Always willing to lend a hand or help when you needed it. There is a lot to learn there and if you get the opportunity to intern for them you should take it

Consdifferent engineering teams often fought over intern allocation which made it hard to get projects done because you were pulled in 2 directions at once if you weren't a "designated" intern

Advice to Senior Managementdedicate every intern otherwise keep up the good work

Hardware Engineer Co-op for the Advanced Development Team

Hardware Engineer Coop (Current Employee)
Bedford, MA (US)

I have been working at iRobot full-time for less than a year

ProsGet to work with cutting edge technology

ConsOn the military side it is somewhat pro-war.

Management driving the company into the ground

I worked at iRobot

ProsUsed to have a strong culture that felt like a second family.

ConsConstant misinformation and lies coming from the Engineering management team (C3 and Hiten S.).
Numerous, highly talented, engineers quitting.
Constant layoffs, moves and reorganizations.
Individuals in remote offices are treated like second class employees.
Multiple remote offices have been closed in the past year.
No room for job growth or salary growth once you have been with the company for a couple years.
Product line is stagnant.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to destroy the company...keep it up.

Great Experience

ME Intern (Former Employee)
Bedford, MA (US)

I worked at iRobot full-time for less than a year

ProsA lot of work to do

ConsI could not find any

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Great Experience; Great Company

I worked at iRobot

Pros- Work with people in many different fields
- Producing quality products that will change the future
- Robots drive around you at work
- Roombas
- Good pay
- Located in the Boston area

Cons- Traffic to/from work can be terrible at times
- Still has a corporation-feel, though plans are being made to change this

Worked for iRobot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at iRobot reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for iRobot CEO Colin M. Angle. All 55 reviews are posted anonymously by iRobot employees.