What does a Circuit Design Engineer do?
Circuit design engineers plan, create, and execute circuit board or circuit card designs according to thorough specifications. Working in conjunction with other teams, they often brainstorm solutions to address important tasks or challenges, and then design systems or assemblies to provide the desired results. They use common programming languages such as Perl and Python, and also prepare intricate plans or detailed drawings and schematics. They also troubleshoot problems with existing tools and systems.
Circuit design engineers typically have at least a bachelor’s degree in an engineering or computer science field, although an advanced degree is preferred. They have a background in engineering, ideally with a specific focus related to circuit systems. These engineers would also need hands-on experience using industry standard design tools and programs, and be comfortable reading and creating design plans and schematics.
- Work with multiple engineering disciplines to define design parameters for a given board in accordance with established processes.
- Responsible for the integrity and archival of the design/manufacturing data into a product life management system.
- The role involves PCB design, library updates and maintenance, and sustaining engineering.
- Manage PCB Design reviews with cross functional team members.
- Manage layout and PCB mass production risks by following best practices.
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering or computer science.
- Skilled with scripting, debugging, and floorplanning.
- Experienced with tools such as Mentor Graphics Xpedition and Altium Designer.
- PCB design expertise.
- A natural critical thinker and problem solver.
Circuit Design Engineer Career Path
Learn how to become a Circuit Design Engineer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Circuit Design Engineer Insights
“work life balance is good”
“Great people to work with”
“Good people to work for”
“Good work life balance”
“Really good contract hourly rate.”
“Able to work from home.”
“Work load is midum.”
Circuit Design Engineer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Circuit Design Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Production Engineer
- Process Engineer