What does a CTO do?
Chief technology officers are company executives who are responsible for overseeing the organization’s technical systems, resources, and personnel. They often also supervise related areas such as research and development. They manage recruiting, hiring, and training programs. They spearhead initiatives to incorporate innovate tools and resources into the organization’s operational functions to achieve increased productivity or establish more efficient processes. They actively participate in the process of selecting vendors and products, and implementing technical systems and infrastructure.
Chief technology officers typically have at least a bachelor’s degree in a computer science or technical field, although an advanced degree is an advantage. They should have in-depth expertise in planning and leading technical programs, and supervising technical teams. These roles require strong project management capabilities and excellent leadership skills.
- Work with senior level stakeholders to identify, build and maintain partnerships across industry.
- Build and sustain executive customer relationships.
- Seamlessly switch from executive-level conversations to diving deep into technology to drive high level, strategic discussions around roadmaps and security solutions.
- Work with senior stakeholders to build, maintain and mature capabilities with selected industry partners.
- Interact with and lead relationships with strategic external partners and alliances.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in computer science, engineering, information technology or information security.
- Able to multitask and manage multiple important tasks simultaneously.
- Fluent in a variety of programming languages, software, and systems.
- Able to confidently lead and guide a technology team and drive tech strategy.
Average Base Pay
CTO Career Path
Learn how to become a CTO, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
“They are great to work with and I love the direction they are taking with the product.”
“world problems and I really like that we have an engaged customer base and a great team of advisors.”
“Good people are always rewarded and the average tenure is well above industry average which speaks for itself.”
“A great startup where you get to work on fun projects and what you do matters.”
“Not only Technically or economically but here our team especially our CEO helps you to explore many fields.”
“Being able to create opportunities for myself and choose what to work on really helped me to balance my work”
“workers and I have an amazing manager who supports and is invested in developing my skillset.”
“I love working at SquareOffs because I get to build an awesome product that people enjoy!”
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a CTO
When working as a CTO, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are TOGAF, APPLICATION Architecture, API, Cloud and Hybrid Cloud.
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chief Information Officer
- Senior Leader
The most common qualifications to become a CTO is a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.