What does a Director of Front End Engineering do?
Front end engineers plan, design, build, and implement the user interface systems of websites, software programs, and web-based applications. Their primary goal is to provide a satisfactory user experience with no issues, errors, or downtime. They create and optimize systems, play an active role in testing and troubleshooting, and resolve issues such as those related to accessibility and browser compatibility. They often serve as an intermediary bridging the gap between the user and the backend developers, and tweak tools and platforms to adapt to real-world use situations.
- Work closely with the product, design and engineering teams.
- Research new technologies and propose solutions to user needs.
- Identify UI problems and bugs and devise elegant solutions.
- Participate in code reviews and ship code on a daily basis.
- Develop fully functional web applications that align with business objectives.
- Mentor and onboard junior members of the team.
- Work directly with the client to define and clarify requirements.
- Accept payments, ensuring all prices and quantities are accurate.
- Follow the best practices in developments and improve them.
- Create high resolution mockups to test interfaces with users.
- Complete all required paperwork and documentation according to guidelines and deadlines as assigned.
- Exemplify both technical expertise and empathy.
- Overhaul user interfaces to optimize for speed and ease of use.
- Expedite all cashiers and service desk transactions.
- Ensure customer service is provided in a timely fashion.
- Assist in the test strategy and execution of master test plan.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in computer engineering, computer science, engineering or information technology or equivalent experience.
- Fluency in a variety of programs, software, and systems such as ReACT, CSS, UI Design, and HTML.
- Can run unit test and debugging procedures.
- Comfortable interfacing and participating in Scrum exercises.
Director of Front End Engineering Salaries
Average Base Pay
Director of Front End Engineering Career Path
Learn how to become a Director of Front End Engineering, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Director of Front End Engineering Insights
“Very conscious about everyone's time and personal life: advocates for and provides a great work life.”
“Deriv promotes work and life balance and making sure that everyone is healthy and fit.”
“Pay scale is low that's it nothing to say anything remaining all are good so I recommend to join”
“the overall experience was extremely positive and I truly wish everyone who I worked with the best in life”
“The timing of the job I am doing at is really flexible and it is 100% remote.”
“Development team is responsible for Production Support which means being on call nights and weekends one week a month.”
“Sophus provided me with a great career opportunity and were supportive in my contract position.”
“It was my first job fresh out of university and it turned out to be a great learning opportunity.”
Director of Front End Engineering Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of front end engineers
A typical day for a front end engineer, also known as a front-end web developer, includes making sure websites are friendly and functional to users. They spend each day working on websites, making them user-friendly by creating navigation, text boxes, animation, and forums.
For front end engineers who have the skills necessary to develop functional websites accessible on mobile devices, job prospects remain high. An advantage to working as a front end engineer is that the work can usually be completed remotely or at home.
Working as a front end engineer can be challenging at times. They must constantly monitor, test, and update sites. One of the difficulties of working as a front-end engineer is that work might take place on weekends or include long hours, especially when problems arise on the websites.