What does a HGV Mechanic do?
Mechanics perform the inspection and repair of vehicles, machinery, and light trucks. They examine, troubleshoot, restore, and maintain machines or vehicles and oversee the maintenance inspections, monitor inventory, assemble mechanical components, and perform repairs. Mechanics conduct routine maintenance on machinery, systems, or automotive vehicles. They often meet with clients to gain an understanding of their concerns and identify the issue of the machine, system, or vehicle.
Mechanics are responsible for the assembly of mechanical components according to their specifications and examine machines to oversee diagnostic tests that determine functionality problems or issues. They design a plan of action for any maintenance tasks or upgrades and maintain work logs, repairs, and maintenance records. They monitor the inventory in the shop and order new parts if necessary. They perform vehicle assessments and alert clients about issues that prohibit a vehicle from passing a state inspection. Often, they will consult on maintenance and preventative procedures for machine or vehicle users. Mechanics need a high school diploma and a certificate or associate’s degree in automotive technology or related fields.
- Assist senior mechanics in the completion of project work.
- Repair advanced vehicle electrical issues and perform heavy vehicle engine work.
- Diagnose failures of vehicles, remove and replace parts as necessary.
- Make service calls to repair equipment and vehicles away from shop.
- Perform preventive maintenance, repair or replacement of broken parts.
- Respond to dispatch calls for machine and equipment repairs.
- Perform other support duties as required to support operations.
- Follow all safety rules and regulations in perform work assignments
- Maintain compliance with all Federal, State and Local laws.
- Call in part orders and post charges to vehicle account.
- Check all work and ensure a defect free assembly prior to final inspection.
- Document all work performed and recommended on the repair order.
- Read job order, observe and listen to vehicle in operation to determine malfunction and plan work procedures.
- Reassemble equipment after completion of inspections, testing, or repairs.
- Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in applied sciences or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with engine repair, machine assembly and disassembly, and exhaust systems.
- A critical thinker who pays attention to detail.
- Communicates diagnoses to customers with a positive attitude.
- Familiar with fixing parts on vehicles such as axles, injectors, and ventilators.
- Use leadership and skill sets to assist other team members when necessary.
HGV Mechanic Salaries
Average Base Pay
HGV Mechanic Career Path
Learn how to become a HGV Mechanic, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
HGV Mechanic Insights
“My fellow coworkers had a great work ethic and a vast array of unique interests.”
“Learning something new is common in Music Tribe and is the best part about working here.”
“The manager is the best and most understanding stand up gentleman I have ever worked for.”
“If on flat rate/commission pay you can’t make good money if there is no business.”
“great pay...like you won't find better pay anywhere else for what we do here”
“there is nothing pros but salary is paid after 45 working days of the month.”
“Nice place to work and friendly”
“Great pay and work to life ratio is great.”
HGV Mechanic Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a HGV Mechanic
When working as a HGV Mechanic, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are Exhaust Systems, Aircraft Systems, Views, Aircraft Avionics and CDL.
- Heavy Equipment Operator
- Machine Operator
The most common qualifications to become a HGV Mechanic is a minimum of a Associate's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.