What does a Host/Host Lead do?
Hosts are responsible for the management of tasks at functions that include banquets, ceremonies, conferences, and parties. Hosts help plan and organize events and ensure everything runs smoothly during the event and coordinate with different teams and ensure all teams work together harmoniously.
Hosts welcome guests, answer questions, and work as a liaison with support staff as the event unfolds. Hosts assist with the planning, preparation, and organization of events, and manage any relevant staff working as helpers, including a kitchen or serving staff. Hosts receive and direct guests to their seats or tables and address guest concerns. They make sure the location is clean and neat prior to and after an event or seating. They ensure that all health and safety measures are observed at venues and that staff are well-versed and educated regarding any necessary emergency protocols. Hosts create a positive and relaxed atmosphere where guests enjoy themselves, and they offer polite salutations to guests as they arrive and depart from the venue or event. There are no educational requirements to become a host, but some hosts hold the job as part of their training for a related certificate or degree, including an associate’s.
- Deliver the correct drinks and food to guests when needed.
- Answer the phone and assist with answering guests' questions in a friendly, courteous manner.
- Greet incoming and departing guest in a welcoming manner.
- Engage guests, act as an ambassador of the restaurant in both personality and knowledge.
- Assist with special events and promotions as needed.
- Comply fully with all safety policies and procedures.
- Answer phones in a prompt and professional manner and direct calls as applicable.
- Escort guests to appropriate table based on rotation system.
- Bag and manage takeout orders, check order for accuracy.
- Greet guests at the door.
- Report to work in a neat and clean uniform.
- Assign stocking/cleaning duties to front end personnel during idle periods.
- Committed to safe food handling, cleanliness, safety and sanitation standards during the shift.
- Treats all guests in a manner to ensure their complete satisfaction.
- Notify management of Member/Guest complaints at the time they occur.
- Maintain a favorable working condition with fellow employees and managers.
- Be aware of team members and the environment and participate as a member of the team.
- Report all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Clean, sanitize, restock, and store host items according to company procedures.
- Prior experience in a hospitality setting.
- Demonstrated multitasking and time management skills.
- Conduct self with a positive attitude and attention to detail.
- A problem solver with a demonstrated sound work ethic.
- Is a leader and critical thinker with adaptability and sound decision making skills.
- Is a professional and a natural decision maker.
Host/Host Lead Salaries
Average Base Pay
Host/Host Lead Career Path
Learn how to become a Host/Host Lead, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Host/Host Lead Insights
“I felt immense support throughout my time here and had such an awesome summer working as the hostess on the patio!”
“It was a really good work environment and I always felt like my ideas for clinic growth were welcomed!”
“This is the best place I've worked at! Very fun and there is so much teamwork from everyone!”
“I worked here during college and they were flexible with my schedule and overall a fun place to work.”
“Good salary and the whole package was the best that I had so far in Bahrain.”
“There was an amazing staff and I met the majority of my friends through work.”
“The work was really fun and I enjoyed helping people have a good time with their escapes.”
“You’ll make great tips and the majority of the customers who come are generally nice.”
Host/Host Lead Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Host/Host Lead
- Food And Beverage Manager