What does a Senior Special Education Teacher do?
Special education teachers facilitate effective lessons that cater to students living with physical, intellectual, emotional, and learning disabilities. They often work with a team to design activities that will help students achieve their specific learning goals.
Special education teachers often involve themselves in the academic, social and behavioral development of their students and assist in the development of the student's individualized educational program (IEP) which develops individual goals for students and is modified according to their abilities and needs. They work closely with a student’s family and specialists to keep the entire team updated on progress and to make recommendations that help promote learning and life skills at home. Special education teachers also help general educators when it is time to adapt to curriculum or learning materials and teaching techniques that meet the needs of any students in the classroom living with a disability. They coordinate the work of teachers, assistants, and related personnel including a therapist or social worker to meet the student’s needs within inclusive special education programs. Special education teachers need a bachelor’s degree and state-issued certification or licensing and training in special education subjects.
- Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning.
- Work with individuals, small groups, or large groups as assigned teacher.
- Serve as an example for students. support mission of school.
- Provide appropriate guidance, leadership and direction to staff within the classroom.
- Provide reinforcement techniques to keep students focused on task.
- Set meetings for referral, review or re evaluation as needed.
- Provide data and information to district office as requested.
- Oversee or ensure personal care, medical care and feedings of students as stated in IEP.
- Assist in the selection of books, equipment and other instructional materials.
- Maintain punctuality in daily work times, appointments, and meetings.
- Ensure students receive accommodations for state assessments and post-secondary entrance assessments.
- Promote School District rules, policies, procedures, Mission Statement and Core Values.
- Escort students to and from classroom for lunch and various activities.
- Must be able to lift, carry and hold students and classroom equipment.
- Conduct ongoing assessments of student learning and use results to plan and implement instruction.
- Demonstrated leadership skills alongside ability to collaborate with team members.
- Critical thinker able to make decisions quickly and professionally.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and strives for continuous improvement.
- Fluent in instruction using assistive tools and devices such as braille or sign language.
- Comfortable with assisting students in basic life skills, including toileting.
- Is confident and Demonstrated a strong work ethic.
Senior Special Education Teacher Salaries
Average Base Pay
Senior Special Education Teacher Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior Special Education Teacher, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Senior Special Education Teacher Insights
“It is a very good learning experience and helps one to develop on a personal level.”
“There is a very limited ability to advance in career and job if your degree is in special ed.”
“It is good to work in the government as it helps in knowing the way to conduct work”
“1st grade program offered many classes despite the building facility limitations I felt it was a decent school.”
“high expectations and barely any resources”
“The people are nice and great to work with.”
“Good and dedicated team to work with.”
“They did everything to trim my years of teaching experience and reduce college credits to reduce my pay.”
Senior Special Education Teacher Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Senior Special Education Teacher
- Kindergarten Teacher
- Substitute Teacher
- Elementary School Teacher