What does a Service Technician do?
Service technicians, also referred to as field service technicians, are responsible for providing different services, depending on their area of expertise, and diagnosing problems and making repairs. They will often go to their client's business or home to install something or make repairs. Service technicians may work on appliances, automobiles, computers and many other things.
The only required education you need to work as a service technician is a high school diploma. However, you may wish to get a technical certificate or Associate's degree to become further educated in the area in which you work. There may also be certifications you can earn for these areas. To work as a service technician, you will need to be able to troubleshoot and repair problems. You will need to be good at time management and able to work a flexible schedule because you may get a service call at any time and you may not be able to estimate how long some calls may take. Good communication and interpersonal skills are vital since you will be working closely with customers.
- Install new products, and test them to ensure they are working correctly
- Educating the client on how to use and maintain their device
- Perform maintenance and provide customer support
- Diagnose problems and come up with solutions to repair them
- Order parts needed for repairs if needed
- Fill out detailed reports and keep records on services that have been performed
- Explain issues with equipment and repairs to customers
- Build and maintain relationships with customers
- Ability to install, repair, service, test and troubleshoot equipment
- Must be able to read blueprints and diagrams
- Ability to work flexible hours and work around a changing schedule
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and diagnostic skills
- Working knowledge of the equipment needed for the job
- Ability to work independently without much supervision
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the job which include bending, lifting heavy equipment and working in confined spaces
- driver's license and reliable transportation
- Ability to effectively manage time
Service Technician Salaries near United Kingdom
Average Base Pay
Service Technician Career Path
Learn how to become a Service Technician, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Service Technician Insights
“Manager is nice and so knowledgeable and I enjoy my work experiences here everyday with new thing to learn .”
“I was expecting better training However this is perfect for anyone looking for an introduction to technology and likes helping others with technological needs”
“Hourly wage was decent but owners dispute when to give it and then blame it on each other.”
“I feel very lucky to have found this job and am looking forward to its continuous growth.”
“Manager is not the best… this that are out of your control will be blamed on you”
“This is not really a con of working in this industry but must be willing to work long hours”
“Base salary plus commission means you get out of the job what you put into it.”
“If there are no open opportunities you will stall in your career until you make your next move.”
Service Technician Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of service technicians
Service technicians spend their workday determining why products aren't working and repairing them. They work on mechanical items like appliances, cars, or machines, depending on their specialisation. Their most common daily tasks include going to customer locations, diagnosing problems, getting necessary parts, and making repairs.
Yes, it's a good career as service technicians are in high demand across many industries. Service technicians can make good money without earning a college degree, and the job generally allows for excellent work-life balance. This field usually offers ample opportunities for career advancement since organisations in a variety of industries hire technicians.
Service technicians earn an average base pay of £31,277 per year in the UK. Salaries vary depending on the technician's specialty and the location where they work. A service technician may work for a business or be self-employed, which can also impact their salary.
As with any job, there are some difficult aspects to working as a service technician. Individuals have to be skilled at problem-solving to determine why something doesn't work correctly. They also might have problems finding the parts necessary to repair items, especially if they're fixing an outdated product.
Get anonymous career insights from your peers
Does how long you stay with a company really matter? I’ve had 3 jobs in the past 3 years and I have doubled my income. Or did I get lucky? I’m about to get another 20% increase with another job offer. Maybe I was overqualified for previous positions? I don’t know. What are your thoughts?