AKQA Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at AKQA

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AKQA.

Interview

Applied through their website. Had a quick 10-15 minute telephone call then was invited in to interview with an Associate Creative Director. During the on-site interview they dived deeper into my work, what I was interested in and asked how I solved specific project problems.

Interview Questions

• What was the thought process behind specific design decisions.   1 Answer

Senior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Interview

Phone interview with HR & the Hiring Manager, then in-person interview. After the in-person interview, the company decided to go with another candidate who had Advertising/Marketing experience. Weeks later, I found out the job is still open and no where on the job descriptions says Advertising experience is required for the job. Had someone actually read my resume, it would clearly show that I did not have Advertising industry experience.

I should have done my homework and read the reviews on Glassdoor. It's a boys club and you have to fit a certain mold in order to be hired. And it seems lying is a common practice throughout the company.

Interview Questions

• If hired, what strengths would you bring to the company?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

A general HR phone, followed by a HM phone interview. 30mins almost no communication. And then no offer. Basically a pretty normal rounds before coming into the onsite. Unfortunately I didn't get the offer.

Motion Graphics Designer Interview

Interview

They emailed me out of no where, I really don’t even remember applying to their company, but I had been actively job searching so I didn’t think much of it. I set up a time to interview and waited for the call. And waited. And waited. After they were about 2 hours late to the call I emailed to see what happened. They had a rushed meeting at the time so we set up another time to interview. The second interview time I waited from about 1pm to 5pm for them to call and they never called. I never even received a follow up email. It was pretty unprofessional since I cleared my schedule to talk with them and they didn’t call back both times.

Program Client Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at AKQA (Sunnyvale, CA (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

Have now been burned by this company twice. First time, shame on you; second time, shame on me.

This place gives off the same message: "everyone enjoyed meeting you;" "you would be a great addition to the team." But then the kicker, the same message: "the team has decided to revisit the requirements." In short, your HR team is a bait-and-switch department, in that we apply for one role, then you pitch us this idea that you have a "better role" for us. You then get us all excited about meeting w/the team quickly; set expectations that you have a looooong interview cycle; ghost us for weeks; then finally get back to us w/the generic statement that the "role is being revisited."

You've fooled me now twice, never again. I'll be sure to scream from the top of my lungs for my creative and project/program manager friends to stay far, far, away from opportunities offered by your company.

Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at AKQA (Atlanta, GA (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

The interview process was simple and brief. I felt very comfortable with the interviewer and did not feel pressure to have all of the right answers. I applied online from their careers page on their website. I received an email the following day about setting a time for a phone call.

Associate Media Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AKQA.

Interview

Had a phone call with HR where she asked me a few questions about my experience and my interest in moving to work for AKQA. It was pleasant and stayed pretty surface level about the job. She did ask my about salary, relocation, etc.

Front-End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AKQA (Portland, OR (US)) in October 2018.

Interview

I was introduced to a recruiter at AKQA, who asked for my resume. I sent it to her, and two weeks later she reached out to set up a phone screen. During our call, she explained that the team was looking for a senior front-ender with React experience. I told her I didn't have any, but I'd been taking React coursed, and was motivated to learn. I explained my background as a CSS specialist, and she said she still thought I'd be a great fit for the team, and asked me to come into the office the next day to meet with a tech director and front-end dev.

That interview was bizarre. They asked me a few questions about my background, and explained the project they were working on. I asked about the tech stack, and we discussed my limited experience with React, and then, less than 20 minutes into the interview, the tech director seemed pretty done. I asked if there was anything else I could answer and he said: "Not really. Normally at this point, I'd ask you some technical questions about React, but you don't know it, so it'd be a waste of everyone's time. You seem to know CSS very well, so I don't feel like I need to ask any questions about that. Frankly, you're a conundrum to me. I'll need to think about this."

Then he escorted me out of the office. The next day I got a polite rejection letter from the recruiter saying "I thought we could work around the lack of React, but it’s not something we can accommodate right now."

Seems like the tech director needs to do a better job of explaining what he's looking for to the recruiters to avoid more situations that are a "waste of everyone's time."

Interview Questions

• Nothing, they didn't ask me any tech questions, or give me a chance to show what I know.   Answer Question

User Experience/UI Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AKQA (New York, NY (US)) in June 2018.

Interview

They reached out to me via a social network. I was a little wary as it wasn't my first rodeo with a WPP owned company and the last one was outright terrible on many levels.

The exchanges from this network went silent for about a week, the person was out for a major holiday. We connected when he got back and after jumping on the phone for 1hr he passed my information along to a hiring manager within 15 minutes of said call.

This is where it just went downhill. Took the hiring manager about a week (not including the weekends) to get back to me. Phone screening was set up, a little backwards at this point but no worries. From there it took them a few days to set up an onsite interview. Got there and thought I crushed it, despite problems from them like the person not recognizing my name as the one he got in touch with online and a switch up in who I was interviewing with. Then they just went silent. No follow up as they promised and when I tried to email and follow up on my end I got nothing. New York has a serious problem and it's not just AKQA.

Ghosting is an issue here and I've identified large parts of it. NYC is completely hipsterfied and most of these tight jean folks now run the show or are the gatekeepers. I think many also have cultural and racial problems as well. I don't think it's outright racism, I just don't think they're used to intellects or equals of a darker complexion and in most agencies many of these people only have white friends. That's a problem but you can't force people to embrace other races.

Even if they made me an offer I'd have to seriously consider it and if there were other options on the table for even less money I'd take that first over AKQA. They're not as good as they think they are and I can see challenges with clients and peers in this environment when all you're trying to do is keep your head down and do awesome work.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions, nothing that should stun a Senior, Lead or Director. That's already a red flag.   1 Answer

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AKQA (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Very laidback interview. Didn’t go through my book in the meeting, instead was more of a chemistry session. Recruiter took a long time to get back to me between emails.

Associate Media Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Interview

It's unfortunate to see that this experience seems to be the norm for AKQA. After 6 interviews & a presentation (on 3 separate occasions), I was completely ghosted by the hiring manager & HR department at AKQA. After MY 4th follow-up, I received a very brief email with one line informing me that they passed. I have never felt so disrespected by a company and am still in shock that they operate in this manner, especially in such a niche field. If you have time to kill & want to practice your interview skills, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd move on to the next one. The Bay Area is FULL of better job opportunities.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.