Amazon Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Amazon Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

22,471 Interview Reviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)) in May 2013.

Interview

Called out of the blue, asked if I'd be interested in interviewing. Still not entirely sure how they got my name. Had first phone interview the next week, asked no personal questions, all technical in nature. Total of 3 phone interviews and an in-person trip out to Seattle.

Took about 4 months start to finish. The people in the in person interview were wonderful. Very smart, laid back, and understanding. Got lunch, small tour of campus, and learned what I'd be doing. Got the offer 2 business days after the in person interview.

Sadly, I signed a NDA and I respect the terms of that. As such, I can't give you any specific questions, but I'll gladly give you the best advice I have.

Phone Interviews :

Phone interviews are sucky by nature. Coordinating a call from west to east coast alone is painful, add the fact that phones just take away the benefits of body language, and just make it harder to hear, and you've got a recipe for disaster. But fear not! Here are some helpful hints, some of which are obvious, some of which are not.

1. Get ready ahead of time. I just mean, get to the area you'll be doing the interview beforehand. I'd recommend an hour or more, just to get your nerves ready. Breathe, get used to the surroundings, and get everything laid out ahead of time. Which brings me to...

2. I know it's a "programming" interview, but for the love of all things good, have a pen and paper ready and at your disposal. Bring a backup pen. Much like a printer, the pen will fail at the worst possible time. You may also need a laptop, as I was asked to do "on the fly" programming. But close anything and everything distracting. Speaking of...

3. Pick a spot where there are no distractions. You'll want your undivided attention on this interview. Don't have BookTweet or FaceSpace or MyGram or that crap open if you have a laptop. And I personally wouldn't pick a public space, you never know when an annoying parent will put their screaming child right beside you.

4. Breathe. Just breathe. Take a moment, stretch, and remember you got this. If you have trouble hearing, don't be afraid to ask again. Don't be afraid to say you don't know. Do as for clarifications, and state assumptions up front. Always re-state the problem as you understand it.

As for the content : For the love of God, know what a time complexity is, and how to determine it for any and all code you write. Know the time complexities of all sorts. Know all data structures, how to use them, and properties of each. (Insertion time, deletion, etc) Generally know what heck you're talking about. But don't talk too much. You don't want silence at any point really, but you certainly don't want to let the interviewer not get a word in. Know graph theory, tree theory, and all the fun stuff associated with more "complex" structures. Understand what your language does behind the scenes, as far as GC and compiling go. Know how your language use internal structures to manage the code/objects you write.

**Continued below**

Negotiation

As a recent grad, there wasn't much room for negotiation.

Senior Software Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)) in January 2019.

Interview

There is one phone interview for an hour. If you clear this interview, you will be invited for an onsite interview. There are five interviews onsite, all in one day. Interviews are in a casual environment. After the first two interviews, you take a break and are escorted for lunch.

Interview Questions

• Most questions are built around Amazon's 14 principles.   13 Answers

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2014.

Interview

A compilation of all the behavioral questions on this website.

1. Tell me about yourself
    2. Strengths
    3. Weaknesses
    4. Why Amazon?
    5. How can you translate your skills towards Amazon?
    6. What experiences do you have that separate you from the rest?

Groups/ Leadership
    1. Tell me about a time when you were leading a group, were assigned a goal, and did not reach it
    2. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how did you overcome this conflict?
    3. How did your actions in a leadership role increase productivity?
    4. Tell me about a time when you dealt with an employee with poor performance
    5. What is your take on leadership?
    6. Tell me about a time when you had a group conflict and how you overcame this conflict?
    7. What kind of roles have you done that were leadership roles?

Behavioral Leadership & Safety & Customer Service
    1. Tell me about a time when you dealt with ambiguity?
    2. How important is safety to you? Rank Customer Service, Quality, Safety
    3. Do you go against a supervisor who made a decision that goes against corporate policy and is a potential safety issue for one of your employees
    4. How would you handle an employee who showed up to work drunk? (not very relevant)
    5. Name a time you had to convince someone to do something they did not want to do
    6. Tell me about a situation where you directly impacted customer satisfaction
    7. What type of leader are you? Explain your leadership style. What does it mean to be a leader?
    8. How do you motivate people?
    9. What did you admire most about one of your previous supervisors

Negativity
    1. Tell me about a time you failed and how you handled it?
    2. Tell me about an ethical conflict with your boss and how you’ve handled it
    3. How do you deal with stress?
    4. Have you ever proposed an idea to a superior and were ignored despite knowing that it would produce a positive result? How did you handle it?
    5. Explain a time when you had to deal with poor job performance
    6. Name a time you screwed up
    7. What frustrates you

Continuous Improvement/ Problem Fixing
    1. Tell me about a time when you leaned out a process
    2. Tell me about a time you had a difficult job to solve
    3. Walk me through a different scenario of a process you invented or improved
    4. Tell me about a time you attempted to refine a process and failed
    5. Give an example of a time when you found a simple solution to a seemingly difficult problem
    6. How has your past experiences included lean management, six sigma, kaizen

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Don't say something typical   18 Answers

Community Engagement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Herndon, VA (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

Terribly inefficient process. A recruiter reached out about 1 month after I had applied online. The recruiter had clearly used a template, but forgot to change the update it with the correct job title I had applied for. The recruiter asked me to answer 4 essay questions - which I can only assume were her screening questions because she was too lazy to speak with me. It then took another 4 weeks for the recruiting scheduler to coordinate a phone interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager was clearly under qualified and lacked relevant experience. The whole process was a waste of time for both the company and for me as an applicant. Basic information around compensation, team structure, and travel expectations could - and should - have been conveyed by the recruiter during the initial screening process. For a large company like Amazon Web Services, you would have expected better processes in place and competent hiring managers. Final round interview would have included a presentation of some sort.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about a time you handled a crisis. 2) Tell me about a time you had to deal with ambiguity. 3) Tell me what you know about AWS?   11 Answers

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Interview

Went through 3 online sde assessments. One debugging, one technical and one workplace simulation. Got a final video round and was rejected. Final round was 45 minutes total, 15 minutes on behavioral questions and 30 were spent on one technical.

Interview Questions

• Given a 2d sorted array of 0 and 1 find the row with the most 1s.   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Interview

First round OA was simple debugging. Second Round was 2 coding questions. Last round was a logical reasoning test and a simulated workday (simulated emails and such).

Virtual interview was a coding question and some nontechnical questions

Interview Questions

• Traverse a graph given a node. Given that there are a certain number of edges leading to that given node, add up all the values leading to that edge, and return the maximum sum.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

1 phone screen and 5 rounds during the onsite interview. The recruiter was very helpful and approachable. I performed good in 3 of the 5 rounds. I wasn't able to approach 2 problems and it took sometime to come up with the design.

Interview Questions

• Shortest path in a binary matrix   1 Answer

Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Applied online. Then i recurved an in-line assessment to complete. After that i was contacted by a recruiter through email that stated interview date and time. Recruiter then confirmed days before the interview. Went to interview which was 4 hours long. Awesome amazing process!!! Very humbling.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

There was no interview. It was basically a large group of us in the break room. One of the managers went over the job and we took an oral drug test. And we took a work badge picture

Inventory Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

phone interview with the hiring manager for 30mins. They said if I pass the phone interview I will be invited to their Seattle campus for in-person for a day. Tips: prepare 2-3 solid examples of each principle.

Interview Questions

• Why Amazon?   Answer Question
    • Case study: asked me what I would select vendors for Amazon Fresh and why?   Answer Question
    • 4-5 Amazon leadership principles questions. One of them give a time you are able to minimize cost and save money for your company. This is about frugality.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.