Amazon Software Development Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Amazon Software Development Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Amazon

3.3

Software Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon in August 2020.

Interview

I applied for a position in some city, but the recruiter emailed me with the opportunity in another city.

After a brief call with the recruiter, she said everything looks good and scheduled the initial interview. The first interview was a phone interview. The interviewer asked few Leadership Principles questions and towards the end, he gave me a system design task.

The interview was easy and the system design question was straight forward. The interviewer was really nice.

The next day recruiter emailed me saying the interviewer was really impressed and she asked me for some time for the full day interviews. She scheduled something for 2 weeks out. I had to submit an essay before my full day interview; a simple 2-page essay.

The full-day interviews were easy as well. The first was with a senior engineer in the team. Few leadership principles and then a system design question. The interviewer was really impressed by my system design. I was in complete control of the interview.

The second was with a Senior Manager and an engineer as a shadow interviewer. The senior manager mainly focused on Leadership Principles again. The interviewer was typing a lot on his laptop which was literally on his lap. He was in an uncomfortable position throughout the interview. I believe this had an impact on my interview as well by looking at him trying to make himself comfortable multiple times during the call. This was an ok interview.

The third was with a Software Development Manager. Few questions on Leadership principles. We discussed a lot of technical stuff and the interviewer was really impressed.

Fourth and the most important was with the Hiring Manager. I believe this is where I screwed up a bit. I was told by the recruiter that the position is a mix of manager and Solutions architect, so I tried to tailor my answers mixing up technical issues I resolved in the team and the team's achievements, but towards the end, he said he is not looking for someone who interrupts his developers. I was really confused at this point. I realized that he is looking for a pure manager and not a problem solver. he is worried that a manager with tech skills will disturb the developers in the team as it has happened in another team of his. I was not sure if I wanted this job anymore. All questions were mainly on Leadership principles and the essay I wrote before the interview.

Last call with a Manager again. Few leadership questions, but this interviewer was in total contrast to what the hiring manager said. He is too technical. We had a lot of good technical discussions, and he was super impressed with me. He even said a lot of things he doesn't like about the build process in this team and he said we can revisit some of the components if I join the team.

A couple of days later the recruiter called me and said I was too technical for the role. But, by then I got an offer from Google. I posted my google interview experience on Google's glassdoor page. Google's feedback on my interview was, I had the right amount of technical and managerial skills for the role.

2 different organizations. Both best at what they do, but their perceptions of my skillset were vastly different.

Though I am delighted that Google liked me for what I am, I was a bit disappointed that Amazon couldn't find a match in me. This is my first ever rejection in an interview.

Nevertheless, this experience taught me something really valuable. "Just operate on your strengths", in my case my tech skills, and you will find the right opportunity. Had I presented my self as a dumb manager who is not supported to challenge developers in the team technically, I am sure I would have quit Amazon even if I joined.

But again, that's what the hiring manager felt like, nothing wrong. Maybe he had examples to support his idea. He was a very nice guy though. He even gave me some advice on how to grow in a corporate setting.

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• All Leadership Principle Questions and few advanced system design discussions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA (US)) in July 2020.

Interview

The interview starts from introducing each other. Then the interviewer asked a little bit technical questions on a specific project I did recently. The question is not very deep. After that he asked many behavior and management related questions.

Interview Questions

• How to handle lower performer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)) in June 2020.

Interview

Take these guys way too long to complete the interview processes. Had 2 long phone screens. First with hiring manager and then senior staff in the team. Both went well. Then I had Onsite-Online interview for half day. Overall Okay, but did not extend the offer. The odd thing regarding Onsite was the interview team were all from different groups and keep asking about distributed systems, while my background is on embedded and wireless side. Anyway, did not get any feedback after the Onsite interview to see where the mismatch may have occurred. Plus, they should catch these mismatches if any in the initial phone screens,

Interview Questions

• All leadership and management question   2 Answers

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2020.

Interview

The recruiter was awesome who helped me through the whole interview process prior to the interview and the interview process was very smooth and very nicely done where it was virtual and had a mix of system design, technical, operation excellence and behavioral interviews.

Interview Questions

• System Design and Behavioral related questions including design choices   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)) in June 2020.

Interview

Virtual meet due to Covid. 6 hours, 5-1 hour meets with a one hour break. Lots of behavioral/technical questions. Overall the flow was easy, not that the questions were, but the flow was good. My biggest concern would be giving candidates enough time to ask questions and dig deeper on the Amazon time, felt that was limited.

One thing I liked is they were very efficient from start to finish. It was a great learning experience. No offer, but no complaints. I was fine spending prep time and the day doing it, it was a wonderful education.

Interview Questions

• Not providing as I signed a NDA, adding some more text here.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)) in April 2020.

Interview

As others have stated, it begins with a few STAR questions. Some were rather condescending (Tell me about the last time you did something innovative.), but certainly nothing I didn't anticipate. It was obvious that the interviewer had very little experience in interviewing or hiring technical people.
    It became obvious to me within 15 minutes that this interview was going nowhere, but I had nothing else to do that afternoon, so I let him go on. Bad mistake, it lasted 75 minutes, and I'll never get that back.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you did something innovative?   1 Answer

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Amazon (Boston, MA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

A call with a recruiter about the team and the opportunity. Then was interviewed by a hiring manager over the phone for an hour. Got an email 2 days later that they thought I am not a good fit for the specific role I interviewed for but that I'd be a good fit for Amazon and have asked me to apply to other SDM roles in the company.

Would have been nice if they got me in touch with other recruiters.

Interview Questions

• Lot of behavioral questions. How did you handle a particular situation etc. based on the leadership principles. Make sure to give examples from your own experience, as they go into very specific details of each example (including timelines).   1 Answer

Software Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

A recruiter reached out regarding a recruiting event. Interviews took place at a hotel and there were several other candidates. The process was efficient. There was one design question and several leadership questions.

Interview Questions

• Leadership questions related to Amazon's values.   2 Answers

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)) in July 2019.

Interview

First, contacted by HR and phone interview with the HR recruiter. If good, a scheduler schedules a phone screen with a hiring manager. If you still pass, get moved to 1 day on-site interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

2 phone screens and one day in-company with 5 interviewers.
    Questions about Amazon 14 principles, asking for facts related to the principles.
    Very few technical questions and low interaction with the interviewers, they seem not to be interested at all. And there was no explicit feedback after the interview and the result.

Interview Questions

• Questions about Amazon 14 principles   3 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.