AppDynamics Senior Sales Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 29 Mar 2019

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at AppDynamics

3.7
HardAverageEasy
Found 6 candidate interviews
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at AppDynamics (Dallas, TX) in Mar 2019

Interview

1. Contacted by recruiter on Linkedin- Had a phone discussion to talk about the role. Since I was not from a Sale Engineer background I said I would be lacking on straight to coding, but brought Management Skills to the table. Said this was no problem and I would be considered for Associate, Mid or Senior Position 2. Phone interview with team lead. Very new lead who was not well versed on the structure of a normal phone interview and did not ask me direct questions. I instead gave a summary of my skills and they went in to talk about the role and company and next steps and that was it. 3. Java Lab - 10 Exercises, essentially a lab to learn how to set up the AppDynamics software to a Tomcat Apache VM. I completed all exercises with the help of google, YouTube and AppDynamics community forms. 4. Asked to prepare a 30 minute (1 hour with dialog) onsite presentation to discuss something I was passionate about. Example topics were Bitcoin, Beauty Pageants, Guitars, Fantasy Football. Mine was 17 slides.

AppDynamics
Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AppDynamics in Sep 2017

Interview

First contact with recruiter over the phone; basic background and interest validation. Call with hiring manager, a more technical conversation ('how would you solve this problem'-type questions, how's your Java, how's your .NET, etc). Then moved to a lab exercise using a VM with their products installed and a workshop lab. Pretty straightforward, but they wanted to see who would go the extra mile and deliver more than just each exercise on the lab. Call with peer SE, a mixed technical/situational interview, and a couple of other calls with sales representatives and some of the regional leaders. On-site interview lasted 4 hours, broken down into 4 sessions: 1 hour with hiring manager, 1 hour with SE peer, 1 hour with sales leadership and 1 hour demo/presentation. At the end, they will tell you if they are moving forward, and discuss compensation. Offer letter arrived not 2 weeks after the on-site.

Interview Questions
  • Several 'situational' questions, like 'did you ever have to convince a sales rep to change strategy to close a deal? How did you do it?', or 'How do you handle negative feedback?' etc.
    1 Answer
Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at AppDynamics (London, England, England) in Sep 2017

Interview

I was approached by an external recruiter and then spoke with an internal recruiter, hiring manager, sales engineering VP, and sales VP. All were intelligent, honest, and generally good people. There are general technical questions, but mostly it is about values, business acumen, and personal qualities. There is a technical take-home that was of reasonable difficulty but did require a significant investment of time. Personally I do not rate highly take-home interview assignments , but as they go, this one was not bad. The instructions needed updating, but there were clear enough and the expectations reasonable.

AppDynamics
Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at AppDynamics

Interview

After a brief "get-to-know-you" type of interview, you will be given a lab to complete using AppDynamics. Everything you need for the lab is in the cloud, and you will be given pretty detailed instructions on how to get started. The lab isn't easy, but it also isn't incredibly hard. You will be given plenty of time to complete it and can do so when you have time to fit it in. Assuming you do well with the lab, you will meet with a team to do an in-person demonstration of something of your choosing. Chose wisely as you are definitely being tested to see how well you can answer questions about your topic.

Interview Questions
  • Why are you leaving your current position?
Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 3 months. I interviewed at AppDynamics (Toronto, ON) in Jun 2015

Interview

Tough interview process - many interviews with many people (sales, technical, other new hires) First was one phone, 2nd was in person with a group of people, 3rd and 4th were 1 on 1. once selected, the process was extremely fast.

Interview Questions
  • Do you want to be part of a disruptive company?
Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at AppDynamics (London, England, England) in Jun 2013

Interview

Quite a few people to see but done very quickly and I felt my time was valued - I learnt a lot simply being interviewed about my skills and capability as well as understanding about the company, the people and the phenomenal growth (and this was back in 2013!)

Interview Questions
  • What makes you special (and you can't simply answer something related to your job! --> Make it interesting Tell a Story!)

Popular Careers with AppDynamics Job Seekers