AppFolio Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

AppFolio Interview Questions

Updated 11 Feb 2017

2.7

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

Had a phone call with the recruiter then the VP of Product. After some non-technical questions, it was discovered that they were looking for a Visual Designer, not a UX designer. The company doesn't seem to know the difference. Waste of time.

Interview Questions

• What about the job description excited you?   1 Answer

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

Contacted by email for phone screening interview with a recruiter. Wasn't technical in nature and just a nice talk about the company culture and what I knew. I was set up for a phone interview with one of the QA team members and asked behavioral questions for 45 minutes. It went well and the interviewee was very friendly and relatable. Thanksgiving holiday was coming up within a week and a half, so my onsite interview was postponed 10 days. Apparently, there were too many people on paid leave. Once onsite for a 2 hour interview, I met with a Senior QA Analyst who was very professional and helpful. We talked for over a hour and it ended nicely while she had me answer a few questions and showed me a web application she wanted me to try and analyze. Next, I met with a different QA member who picked my brain on behavioral questions as if my answers weren't meeting his standards. He went over concepts related to the job and didn't ask anything very technical. I left after those 2 hours and 15 minutes since I wasn't scheduled to meet with the Director.

I thought this would be the end of the process, but I suddenly get another email within a week asking me to meet with a different Director. I believe he calls the shots since I thoroughly thought I spent a good amount of time with other team members and it went well. He ends up asking me things from 3 years ago on my resume about a school project and I do my best to explain since he didn't know too much either. The next question was also had me try and write a function on the whiteboard. It was fair, and at first I blanked, but was just confused on what the output would need to look like. I explained my logic of how I would approach it, but since I haven't been practicing programming lately in my courses I had a hard time. He ended up walking through it with me and that pretty much wrapped up the interview with some questions I asked him at the end. Overall, it was friendly but time consuming and unexpected to be asked more typical software engineering questions for an entry level QA position. The amount of time they put into me was immense and I felt like they were unprepared. The first onsite interview had one of the interviewees reading off a document of questions to ask me. They had to postpone my interview process. Lastly, I was told an onsite interview would be the last round, but was invited again on short notice. It's sad because I was genuinely interested in devoting a lot to Appfolio and everything was going smoothly until the last interview, only to be told they are looking for people with more work experience. They knew from the beginning I was a upcoming new grad this month and have access to my resume with only course projects. So, that leaves the question of why I even got so far into the interview process if that was the only feedback I got.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that prints out Folders and Documents in order with subsequent spaces each time you go deeper into a Folder. You have two classes: Folder and Doc both containing strings to their names. In the Folder class you have two arrays defined that will contain folders and docs respectively. e.g. Folder1(root) at first level. Doc1, Doc2, Folder2, Folder 3 at second level. And Folder2 has two children Doc 3 and Doc 4. Output should be similar to

Folder1
         Doc 4
       Folder 3
      1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen, followed by a technical interview via GoToMeeting and Google Docs. After the first technical interview, I got an email saying they would not be moving forward with my application. Everyone was relatively quick to respond and nice during the process.

Interview Questions

• Implement a hash table.
      Describe what happens when you click on a link from a Google search.
      What is an outer join?
      Answer Question

Customer Success Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppFolio in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online and it took over 3 weeks to be contacted by a recruiter/hiring manager. When the recruiter contacted me for a phone screening, it went rather well. He enjoyed my personality and responses to the questions asked. He stated that he'd "stay in contact" with me in regards to moving forward with the interview process, but it would be after the new year, due to a reason related to "taxes." I've attempted to reach out to them multiple times (I was still eager and very much interested in working for them) but received no response.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

1st phone screen with hiring manager, then two phone interviews with senior engineers . Then skype interview with director of engineering. All 1 hour each. They take a lot of time to respond. took 2 weeks to respond between interviews. Interviewers very friendly

Interview Questions

• 1. function to validate sudoku
      2. print each level of tree on a new line
      3. check if subtree is present in bigger tree
      4. what happens when you enter a website name and press enter
      Answer Question

29 Nov 2016 – Manager, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and share your feedback. We are working to improve our interview response times and your insight is valuable. We wish you the best in your job ... More

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

The process took about 3 weeks. I had a phone call with the recruiter, then the hiring manager, then was brought on site.

The most disappointing part of the process was how they responded with a "no." It was a form letter with no personal touch. "We don't have an open opportunity for you." The in-house recruiter I was communicating with was just very cold, not much personality.

They then proceeded to provide no feedback, which means it was a huge waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a confrontation with an engineer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

29 Nov 2016 – Manager, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and share your feedback. We are working to make the interview experience and response better following up on interviews. We wish you the best in ... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

Contacted by the recruiter promptly after submitting application. This was for the MyCase team. I was asked about salary requirements and then scheduled for a phone interview which was technical in nature. It went smoothly and then I got the chance for an onsite interview with two of the senior engineers on the team who picked my brain on key technologies on my resume and also a technical design question. This also included a tour of the facility. Finally, I was selected to interview the rest of the team which included a principal software engineer and two senior engineers. This included a lunch, but all three asked in-depth technical questions in design as well as algorithm/data structures. A lot of chances to ask questions, and the process was very friendly the entire time. They really cared to hire the smartest and best engineers out there but they also care for their well being too. Unfortunately, no offer but the recruiter was friendly in offering constructive feedback.

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

29 Nov 2016 – Manager, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and share your feedback. We are glad to hear that your interview experience with us was positive. We wish you the best in your job search and hope ... More

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AppFolio (Dallas, TX (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted app, phone screen, scheduled for in person interview. Showed up to their Richardson office and every one was in college apparel as I guess it was college day? Sat down in my interview and was excited because it was suppose to be 2 people interviewing, I really like group interview b/c it's more fair. You might not click with one interviewer or they may not see how your skills carry like someone else will. Well anyways my interviewer was some dry guy that got head hunted to work there and was pretty proud of it. They have a super start up atmosphere and I know in those places how you mesh and interact with teammates matters almost as much as the sales you bring in. So I tried to show more of my personality and I guess that was a mistake. Only thing I was truly bitter was that I emailed the interviewer for a critique and never got anything back. He had me email him answers to these stupid questions but yet I can't even get a reply?

Interview Questions

• What kind of animal would you be?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA (US)) in August 2016.

Interview

First spent 30 minutes with an internal recruiter. He subsequently set me up with an on-site interview the hiring manager in the San Diego office. It was non-technical in nature and lasted just over an hour. Two weeks later I came back for a technical on-site, which went for about 3.5 hours.

First portion was with a relatively sr. developer creating a sudoku solution checker. That went well enough.

Second portion was with a jr. developer who was a sub for another sr. developer who couldn't make it. It was just a discussion of my experience.

Third portion was with the hiring manager. I was asked to create a roman numeral convertor. I had built one for an interview 6 months earlier, mentioned that I had, but he asked me to continue. Unfortunately while I made it much of the way through, I was having some trouble remembering the exact solution. He gave me some hints at an alternate approach but at the same time was showing some frustration -- got the feeling it was implied I had lied about solving this before just to get out of the exercise. I became quite flustered, even said it out loud, so he elected to stop the exercise so we could discuss the position further. Then I was asked what I thought of the other engineers who interviewed me earlier. I answered. He asked again in a slightly different manner, seemingly unsatisfied with my answer. And this manner of passive aggressiveness continued until I left about 15 minutes later.

I knew the interview had not gone well, but I tried to be courteous and professional as I was walked out. The manager mentioned they would be contacting me within a few days.

6 weeks later I received an automated response from the "AppFolio Recruitment Team" which says:

"Thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider you for the Sr. Software Engineer. We have reviewed your background and qualifications and find that we do not have an appropriate position for you at this time. We appreciate your interest and wish you success in your job search."

Absolutely classless response from this company. I gave up 6 hours of my time and not even the internal recruiter could bother to personally contact me.

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

29 Nov 2016 – Manager, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and share your feedback. We are working with our team to use your feedback to make the interview experience better and response following up on ... More

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AppFolio (Goleta, CA (US)).

Interview

I applied online and got a reply pretty much right away via email. I was pretty excited about the company. I scheduled an interview, showed up early and found out AFTER the interview was supposed to start that the person who was supposed to interview me wasn't even there... The guy who ended up interviewing me seemed nice at first, but the longer we talked the more he started just being condescending. I've interviewed many times before for various internships and jobs, and never left disliking a company until my interview with AppFolio.

I was asked to complete a "next step" after the interview and was not at all interested in continuing the process.

For people thinking about applying: There are many tech companies in SB with competitive pay and even better culture. This isn't a dig on AppFolio as a whole, just the SDR department...that's all I can speak to.

Interview Questions

• We get a lot of people new to the workforce who think they're ready to work 40 hours a week, but end up just not having the work ethic. How would you say you'd handle the stress of full time?   1 Answer

5 Jul 2016 – Director, HR

Thank you for taking the time to interview with us and share your feedback. We are working with our team to use your feedback to make the interview experience better. We wish you the best in your ... More

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.