AppFolio Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

AppFolio Interview Questions

Updated 23 May 2017

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

Initial phone screening that talked about my resume, past experiences and projects. Talked about what the job role would be. Phone screening went well and technical phone interview was scheduled the next week with a software developer. Talked a bit about past experiences then had me code on a shared google doc.

Interview Questions

• Given an array, how would you return the three largest elements. Then follow up with ways to optimize.   Answer Question

Customer Service Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AppFolio in May 2017.

Interview

The hiring manager cold called me for a quick chat, and asked me to go over my background. After a few minutes he stated the position wasn't to manage CS agents (as the description itself conveys) and stated it was a tough position to fill. He then asked my salary requirements. There were no probing questions, nothing to dig into the history already provided on my resume, etc. Very, very surface level. Whole thing took 10 minutes, and I was declined within 15 minutes after.

Interview Questions

• Please walk me through your background.   1 Answer

Web Production Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview process started with a brief 30 minute interview discussing why I was interested in the position, and my qualifications. My interviewer mixed up my resume with another applicant, and started asking me about things on another applicants resume (I thought that was rather unprofessional - I spent hours preparing, the least a manager could do is come prepared too). Before hanging up, my interviewer asked me if I could come in and interview at the office later that same week to meet other managers/staff/to see the office environment. I agreed and the interviewer said he would email me a confirmation with the address and names of the people I would be interviewing with. I never received the email. One day before our scheduled interview, I called the manager I had spoken with, left a message and never got a response. The day of the interview I called again to confirm that the interview was still going on as I had zero information and no confirmation, and the interviewer said that he had forgotten to follow up with me (again, I found this to be pretty unprofessional) but gave me the information I needed.

When my in-person interview came, I was scheduled to interview for 2 hours with 4 managers. I ended up spending 3.5 hours at AppFolio and met with 6 different managers. At the end of the day, I was given 2 personal cell phone numbers by 2 different managers, and was told I interviewed well and that they would get back to me by the end of the following week with information on next steps. Everything couldn't have gone any better. Got a call the following week saying they weren't going to continue with my interview process. After I spent 3.5 hours with them.... what a joke and a waste of time. I don't know what went wrong, but I definitely will not be applying to AppFolio again (this had been my 2nd time applying at the company, but in a different department).

Interview Questions

• What do you plan on doing in your free time when you're not at work?   Answer Question

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AppFolio (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

I submitted an application for the role. One of their coordinators on the team reached out to try to schedule an interview. Unfortunately the email ended up in a junk mail folder and before I realized it, they rejected me in their system. I emailed back apologizing and asking to see if we can still connect. No response.

It looks like a great company to be a part of, but I ended up joining another great company instead. I'd still potentially be interested down the road if another opportunity opens up, but they should consider checking how some of their email communications may end up in someone's junk mail folder and reconsider.

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

2 May 2017

Thank you for taking time to consider AppFolio and for sharing your experience with us. There may be a mix-up as we did not have a Corporate Recruiter position open nor do we have an office in New ... More

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppFolio in April 2017.

Interview

I applied twice at AppFolio because I read the good reviews about the company. I received an email the first time and my application was rejected. The second time I applied because they have plenty of openings and I received an email first to set up a phone interview and then a phone call with the recruiter very nice and profesional. He set up a phone call with the manger and he called me 24 hours later "Very unprofessional" . He was rude and short and he just talked about himself and he didn't care about me. I haven't received any phone call or email after. Is he a customer service manager? Poor clients very disappointed. Give people te opportunity to work and don't discriminate.
     The interview was in Santa Barbara ,CA

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the product?   1 Answer

2 May 2017

We value your feedback and time - thank you for sharing that with us. We’re normally known for spending quality time with our candidates and we regret that we missed the mark. We will use this ... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

Sent my resume in at a campus event. Got a phone call and went over my resume and general AppFolio stuff. Got an email the next week rejecting me and giving no reason why.

Director, Stratgic Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

Horrible experience. Had two phone interviews then was asked to come to Santa Barbara to meet with 6 people (3 hours total). I booked rooms and took days off to go there. When I got there I had my first interview, then was told during my second one that the rest of the team was not available anymore and we would do virtual interviews in the coming weeks. I waited about 10 days to hear back and was then told the job requirements had changed and that I would not be interviewed. What a giant waste of time...never again!

Interview Questions

AppFolio Response

2 May 2017

We value your time, and I am sorry to hear that you were told the team was not available - that is not our goal! We are committed to taking in this feedback and continuously improving. Thank you ... More

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at AppFolio.

Interview

Had a phone call with the recruiter then the VP of Product. After some non-technical questions, it was discovered that they were looking for a Visual Designer, not a UX designer. The company doesn't seem to know the difference. Waste of time.

Interview Questions

• What about the job description excited you?   1 Answer

24 Feb 2017

We value your time, and I am sorry to hear that regarding the position differences - that is not our goal! We are committed to taking in this feedback and continuously improving. Thank you for ... More

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (San Diego, CA (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

Contacted by email for phone screening interview with a recruiter. Wasn't technical in nature and just a nice talk about the company culture and what I knew. I was set up for a phone interview with one of the QA team members and asked behavioral questions for 45 minutes. It went well and the interviewee was very friendly and relatable. Thanksgiving holiday was coming up within a week and a half, so my onsite interview was postponed 10 days. Apparently, there were too many people on paid leave. Once onsite for a 2 hour interview, I met with a Senior QA Analyst who was very professional and helpful. We talked for over a hour and it ended nicely while she had me answer a few questions and showed me a web application she wanted me to try and analyze. Next, I met with a different QA member who picked my brain on behavioral questions as if my answers weren't meeting his standards. He went over concepts related to the job and didn't ask anything very technical. I left after those 2 hours and 15 minutes since I wasn't scheduled to meet with the Director.

I thought this would be the end of the process, but I suddenly get another email within a week asking me to meet with a different Director. I believe he calls the shots since I thoroughly thought I spent a good amount of time with other team members and it went well. He ends up asking me things from 3 years ago on my resume about a school project and I do my best to explain since he didn't know too much either. The next question was also had me try and write a function on the whiteboard. It was fair, and at first I blanked, but was just confused on what the output would need to look like. I explained my logic of how I would approach it, but since I haven't been practicing programming lately in my courses I had a hard time. He ended up walking through it with me and that pretty much wrapped up the interview with some questions I asked him at the end. Overall, it was friendly but time consuming and unexpected to be asked more typical software engineering questions for an entry level QA position. The amount of time they put into me was immense and I felt like they were unprepared. The first onsite interview had one of the interviewees reading off a document of questions to ask me. They had to postpone my interview process. Lastly, I was told an onsite interview would be the last round, but was invited again on short notice. It's sad because I was genuinely interested in devoting a lot to Appfolio and everything was going smoothly until the last interview, only to be told they are looking for people with more work experience. They knew from the beginning I was a upcoming new grad this month and have access to my resume with only course projects. So, that leaves the question of why I even got so far into the interview process if that was the only feedback I got.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that prints out Folders and Documents in order with subsequent spaces each time you go deeper into a Folder. You have two classes: Folder and Doc both containing strings to their names. In the Folder class you have two arrays defined that will contain folders and docs respectively. e.g. Folder1(root) at first level. Doc1, Doc2, Folder2, Folder 3 at second level. And Folder2 has two children Doc 3 and Doc 4. Output should be similar to

Folder1
         Doc 4
       Folder 3
      1 Answer

24 Feb 2017

We value your feedback and time - thank you for sharing both with us. We are working with our team to use your feedback to continuously improve our interview experience. We wish you the best in your ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppFolio (Santa Barbara, CA (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen, followed by a technical interview via GoToMeeting and Google Docs. After the first technical interview, I got an email saying they would not be moving forward with my application. Everyone was relatively quick to respond and nice during the process.

Interview Questions

• Implement a hash table.
      Describe what happens when you click on a link from a Google search.
      What is an outer join?
      Answer Question

24 Feb 2017

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We hope to cross paths in the future should there be an opportunity that may be a fit. Best of luck to you.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.