AstraZeneca Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

AstraZeneca Interview Questions

Updated 17 Oct 2017

3.1

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gothenburg (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Gothenburg (Sweden)) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview consists of three stages.
    The first interview was held by phone and the questions were related to the sciences for the position I am applying. The interview was about 45 min.
    The second interview was about the science but they asked more specific and more details. It took1 hour and 30 min. During the interview, some questions about the possibility to relocate were asked.
    The third interview was about the AZ value and some behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• All about sciences were asked   1 Answer

Pharmaceutical Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Washington, DC (US)) in July 2014.

Interview

Started with a phone interview, then had to do a personality questionnaire. I then had two face-to-face interviews with multiple managers. I was asked to give a 10 minute presentation in one of them and then to sell a competitive product in the other interview. Definitely do your homework in researching the company and its core values. This is the hardest interview process I have ever gone through.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time your ethics were called into question.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to work in a team setting and someone wasn't very motivated.   Answer Question

Principal Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Cambridge, East of England, England) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online in Jan 2015. Phone interview (40 min) with Hiring Manager followed by invitation to interview mid-March 2015. Initial interview (9 am to 2 pm) comprised: presentation (30 min) followed by Q&A (30 min), two behavioural (STAR) interview sessions (45 min each), lunch with team, one technical interview (45 min) and, finally, Q&A session (20 min) with Hiring Manager. Feedback was received five days later together with invitation to second technical interview. This took place late April 2015 and comprised working lunch (30 min), data evaluation session (90 min) and data evaluation Q&A (2 h). Subsequent telecom (30 min) with Hiring Manager's manager 10 days later. Formal offer (for Associate Principal Scientist position) received the following week (mid-May 2015).

Interview Questions

• Do you think these cellular infiltrates in the choroid plexus and liver represent inflammation or extramedullary haemopoiesis? What are their significance?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary and benefits were very competitive; clarified eligibility for relocation support before formally accepting offer.

Senior Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Cambridge, East of England, England) in December 2014.

Interview

Technical assessment
    Length one day 9 am to 5pm.
    Steps:
    Presentation of my work 45 min
    Technical test on a completely aknown topic
    Lunch
    Attitudinal questions
    Technical test on a more familiar topic

Interview Questions

• Why do you think this role is for you?   1 Answer

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Loughborough, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Loughborough, England) in July 2010.

Interview

Generally a 2 stage interview. For this type of position the interview will be largely technically based. If the job states experience you will need to fully technically conversant in relation to the job you are applying for. Usually one team leader will interview for around an hour. They will show you round. Good to ask questions (intelligent ones). Friendly but professional approach. Usually AZ people are very personable but very capable. Depends on site but it could be like 'ikea' with nice grounds and all the mod cons. Good feel.
    Second interview will be more of a grilling. Probably 3 separate interviews, mainly technical. They will give you scenarios - so be clued up on the company and what they specifically do at that site in that job role. Also a presentation will be required to a reasonable number of people. They will have specified what it's on (or choice) beforehand.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to develop an analytical method for a drug compound with 3 different pKa's?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered a generous package, 60% more than my previous job so it was a no brainer.

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at AstraZeneca.

Interview

Hiring process seems to take a very long time with complex, interactions between HR which is basically outsourced and the "hiring manager". I am not sure AZ is really hiring employees these days. Seems to contract with Kelly, Yo, etc. Management teams are in flux many are leaving the organization in the near future. Strange hiring environment.

Interview Questions

• AstraZeneca lives by the STAR interview format. Managers seem to think there is "correct" answer to a given question. Suggest that you prepare in advance and provide answers according without saying too much.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AstraZeneca.

Interview

They asked 4 questions and requested the answers be STAR format.

LIFT Intern (Undergraduate) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Wilmington, DE (US)) in April 2013.

Interview

I met with two members of the LIFT program's hiring managers (financial analysts) at my university's spring career fair. I was very interested in AZ, and spent a solid ten minutes or so carrying on 1-on-2 with them. I STUPIDLY forgot to ask for either of their business cards; however, I did leave a copy of my resume with them.

After I left the career fair, I reviewed the companies that I had spoken with, and relived that I had forgotten to grab their business cards. I figured my chances were extremely slim, as follow-ups have always served me well - but two weeks later I received an email from one of the analysts I had met, asking if I would be interested in setting up an interview. Needless to say, I said yes.

Following that, they connected me with a finance HR rep who ultimately was the one that scheduled the date/time of my interview. The HR rep also gave me directions as to which building the interview would be at (the AZ campus is very large - six buildings or so.)

Anyways, the AZ campus is very very nice, and I was instantly impressed by the architecture and professionalism of everybody who works there. The company culture is business casual; but, they EXPECT you to come dressed in full professional attire for the interview.

In terms of the interview itself, it consisted of a panel of all three LIFT managers. This was my first interview with a panel greater than two, so I was a bit taken back; however, they were very friendly - quickly calming my nerves. They remembered me from the career fair, and we had a brief (30s - 1m) casual conversation before the actual interview began.

They will ask you for a high level (very general) overview of your work experience on your resume, followed by many behavioral based questions - expected to be answered in the STAR format. If you are not familiar with STAR format interviews, you MUST Google them. ALL AstraZeneca interviews are done in this format. Anyways, after the STAR questions, they asked me about my Excel skills (vlookups/hlookups, pivottables, etc.,) and if I had any experience with SAP and/or Hyperion. To be honest, I had no experience with either, and I told them that. I also did not know vlookups/hlookups or pivottables, and I told them that as well. I told them that while I had no experience, I wanted to learn, and was a quick learner.

To close the interview, they asked me if I had any questions - which of course I did. I highly suggest that you come up with a list of at least five, genuine questions - they appreciate them. Just make sure that they are not bogus questions (just being asked to say that you asked some questions.)

Anyways, I was contacted about 2-3 weeks later with an offer (non-negotiable.)

Interview Questions

• I don't remember many specific interview questions; however, I do remember that 80% or so were behavior based, and expected to be answered in the STAR format.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pay is tiered by schooling year; ie. freshman < sophomores < juniors < seniors < MBAs.

I was entering my senior year, and was offered earned $18.25/hr. (as with all other rising seniors.)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AstraZeneca.

Interview

Behavioral based interviews - the STAR (situation, task, action, result) based upon leadership criteria.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when someone working for you did not perform well -- what did you do.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Waltham, MA (US)) in October 2010.

Interview

Behavioral question type interview, Greatest strength, greatest weakness etc,

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you did not meet your immediate managers expectations.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.