AstraZeneca Interview Questions in Macclesfield, England | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 21 Sep 2017

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Analytical Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Macclesfield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Macclesfield, England) in September 2017.

Interview

3 separate and distinct interviews;
    1 Values Interview (behavioural), approximately 1 hour 15 mins. Questions around the 5 core company values.
    1 Technical Interview, approximately 1 hour. Questions around the core analytical techniques required by the role.
    1 Presentation, approximately 15 mins presentation with 15 mins of questions followed by 15 minutes of background questions concerning the individual role.

Interview Questions

• Assign peaks in an 1H-NMR spectra to the protons in a small molecule pharmaceutical. This formed a large part of the technical interview.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Good starting salary, no negotiation necessary. Open to flexibility on start date. HR checks take approximately 4 - 5 weeks.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macclesfield, England

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Macclesfield, England) in March 2017.

Interview

Sent my CV through my University, attended a assessment centre. Group assessment involved making a marshmallow tower with spaghetti. Still waiting for travel expenses to be reimbursed many months later.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macclesfield, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Macclesfield, England) in March 2016.

Interview

Analytical Chemistry Placement. First we were meant to get a short presentation, but the person responsible for that seemed totally unprepared. Then tour about labs and lunch in canteen (we got vouchers for that). Everyone seemed rather uninterested in what they are doing. On interview itself nice atmosphere, two interviewers. First some general questions, than organic mechanisms (before any analytical part) and then spectra to analyse.

Regulatory CMC Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Macclesfield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Macclesfield, England) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone screen 2 weeks later, the interviewer was friendly and professional and mainly asked about my experience related to the role and she also made sure I know which location the job is. 3 weeks after that I attended an assessment day on site which consisted of a presentation by AZ about their work, paperwork based individual task, technical and values interview and a brief presentation. All the people involved in the process were nice, including the other 3 candidates I met there. I was informed on the outcome 2 weeks later.
    Overall I am happy about the application experience with AZ. All the staff involved in recruitment were professional and made me feel comfortable. The responses were prompt (at any step I did not wait for more than 2 weeks). I have always been warned well in advance about what is going on next (even about phone calls). I appreciated the amount of detailed information I have been provided.

Interview Questions

• Phone screen: Mainly related to my previous experience - What did you do?
      Actual interview: Technical questions on my understanding of terms. Questions on company values - Tell me about a situation when...? - which would be answered using the ATOLA model. Help for preparation for the values interview was provided in the interview package.   Answer Question

Sandwich Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macclesfield, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Macclesfield, England) in December 2015.

Interview

2 phases process:
    1) Interview- 2 interviewers, some competency based question and quite a few technical questions.
    2) Team building exercise

All expenses are covered, from travelling to Macclesfield to accommodation. You get to visit laboratory equipments in industrial scale. It was definitely a good experience!

Synthetic Organic Chemistry Industrial Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macclesfield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Macclesfield, England) in November 2015.

Interview

Day plan:
    Introductory Talk explaining the placement
    Tour of laboratories and Site
    Lunch
    Group Activity - asked to make a list of top 10 most influential people in the last 200 years (groups of 4)
    Technical Interview - standard synthesis and characterization questions done individually. Lots of aromatics. Also had general questions asked. Done individually..

Interview Questions

• Effect of different groups on aromatics in directing substituents to ortho, meta and para positions.   Answer Question

Organic Chemistry(Process) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macclesfield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Macclesfield, England) in November 2015.

Interview

Staff were very relaxed. All questions were technical and some CV discussion. Revise year 1 organic chemistry beforehand. A tour of the labs and lunch was also part of the day. Group activity involved building a marshmallow tower with the aid of spaghetti as a group or 4

Analytical Sandwich Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macclesfield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Macclesfield, England) in November 2014.

Interview

1 hour long group exercise, discussing a topic which varies! 1 hour long technical interview, including organic and analytical chemistry. Rest of the day spent on a tour of the site and lunch.

Interview Questions

• what techniques would you use to identify an unknown sample?   Answer Question

IMED Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macclesfield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Macclesfield, England).

Interview

Very friendly environment and questions weren't too difficult due to STAR format. However technical interview was difficult, see below. Also there was a group task which involved making a paper model and there was very limited time to do this and required good judgment so as not to be overbearing and pushy on others. Get the technical interview right and you'll sail straight through.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview, lots of graphs and interpreting of information about enzymes. Cant revise for this, you need to know in depth knowledge of enzyme kinetics   Answer Question

Industrial Placement - Organic Synthesis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macclesfield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AstraZeneca (Macclesfield, England) in November 2013.

Interview

The assessment centre ran from roughly 10am - 4pm (around 30 people present). Initially we had a presentation from management explaining the day and giving some detail on the job. Then there were group tasks (building a tower out of spaghetti and marshmallows) and individual technical interviews. After lunch they arranged tours of the site with current placement students.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of an organic reaction which you have carried out at University? (Follow up questions on selectivity, kinetics etc).   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.