Auto Trader UK Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 28 Jul 2017

3.4

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England).

Interview

The whole interview process began by submitting a quick online application - you have to submit your CV and answer two short essay-type questions about your personal values and why you want to work for Auto Trader.

The next day, I was sent an invitation to complete 3 online tests - Numerical Reasoning, Verbal Reasoning, and Inductive Reasoning. The tests weren't too difficult but it certainly requires some practice, especially if you are not familiar with this type of assessments. I think the purpose of these tests were to weed out incompetent applicants.

After that, I was contacted to schedule a phone interview with one of the recruiters. The recruiter was very friendly and made the whole process very enjoyable. The conversation was mostly about why I want to work with them, their values, how they do things as well as questions about my previous experience at university (incl. projects and how I handled some difficulties) and outside of it. As they emphasised right at the beginning, it's not really a Q&A type interview but more like a conversation.

Next step - assessment day in their Manchester office. They keep the assessment day small as there were only 4 of us that day. Everyone was super friendly (both staff and other candidates) and there was no "Hire me, I'm the best!" mentality. The whole day lasted about 6 hours and included things like introduction meeting, pair-programming test (I recommend researching what this is and what is the purpose of this type of tests), values-based interview with 2 members of staff, lunch break, office tour and spending time with 2 teams to ask any questions you have.

After the assessment day, regardless of the result, you will receive detailed feedback on how you did during the interviews. If you were successful, you will be invited to the final stage interview which is a phone interview with one of the senior leaders. This was a general chat about you, your past experiences and what your career aspirations are. Person I was speaking to was also very friendly and just wanted to get to know me better.

They made me an offer very quickly (I think it was the same day or so) and I didn't even think twice about accepting it. The offer was generous and I knew since the first phone interview that I wanted to work here.

Overall, I could not ask for a better recruitment experience. The company is absolutely amazing, especially for new grads who are very keen about starting their career in tech. Offices are stunning and people seem to love their job.

What I really liked is that all the interviews made sense. They didn't focus too much on what you know but how you do things and how you fit in. The cultural fit is extremely important and it was emphasised and reflected in every question/task. And they don't ask you silly questions like "What is your biggest weakness?" and such.

Perhaps the whole process was a little bit too long with too many stages (compared to other new grad schemes) but, then again, this is understandable as they want to recruit the right people and the process was quite enjoyable anyway. The HR team was brilliant - communications and decisions were made quickly.

Keep up the good work!

Interview Questions

• Give us an example when you were humble, curious, inspirational, determined and reliable?   Answer Question
    • What is your favourite language/what web technology excites you?   Answer Question

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester City Centre, England) in July 2017.

Interview

Had an online application to fill in and 2 essay-like questions to answer along with sending my CV. The next stage was online tests (numerical, inductive and verbal reasoning). Then there was a telephone interview stage where I was asked about my CV and experience for the role, but also was given information about the business and the next stages.

Now there was an assessment centre day in Manchester (4 people in total). Atmosphere was really relaxed and friendly with a brilliant ice breaker to begin the day. The office is probably the best office I have ever seen and the people were easy to chat and get on with.

The day was split into:
    - an office tour (30 mins),
    - a programming test (1 hour) [looking for 'methods and thinking behind solutions', take your time]
    - values interview (1 hour), [competency questions about their 5 values with 2 employees (1 tech., 1 non-tech.)]
    - chat with two squads/teams (2 hours) [ask questions and find out about day to day work life]
    - lunch (1 hour)
    - then a feedback session after (30 mins).

Had a fantastic day and afterwards got a call soon saying I had been invited to the final stage (a talk with a member of the Operational Leadership Team). This too was relaxed and just wanted to find out a bit more about you as a person.

Got offered the job on the same day and immediately accepted. Salary and benefits were generous. Can't wait to start in October!

Interview Questions

• Demonstrate, with an example, how you use AutoTrader's values? (Determined, Humble, Reliable, Inspirational, Curious)   Answer Question
    • Why do you like Java as a language?   Answer Question
    • What services do AutoTrader offer companies and dealerships?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England).

Interview

Arrange a phone interview by email but they didn't ring on the agreed date. A week later they rang an rearranged. Interviw took place and I was advised I would hear within the week. 2 months later and I still haven't had a response (I'll assume I have got any further 😀). Extremely poor experience that doesn't bode well for what it may be like to actually work here.

Customer Experience Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview lasted from 9am-3pm in the Manchester office. When i arrived, there were 3 external candidates (myself included) and around 7 internal candidates. First of all, there was a group task where we had to decide which of 3 adverts had the highest priority, Then we went off to do individual interviews. After lunch, there was a computer task and then a tour of the builidng. Overall a nice day. Feedback took longer than expected to come back.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England) in May 2017.

Interview

Initial online application. Then telephone interview. Then Whole day interview. First had group task in which all applicats had to put a list of things in priority and justify why. There were 8 of us and around 12 people watching. It was extremely intimidating. 5 of the applicants already worked there so knew all the lingo, what autotrader would actually do in that situation, and how to play up to their cringey culture. Then interview, lasted over an hour. Was quite informal. Then assessment. Had to reply to tweets and reply to customer complaint. The day was frustrating as the job was listed as a graduate job but no one there was a graduate. More than half the applicants were internal so already fitted in to the company culture which was thing they were looking out for, and knew company policy and lingo. Culture was try hard Wouldn't recommend.

Delivery Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK in May 2017.

Interview

Great talent team and initial interview process. The people were lovely throughout though it has to be said.

Too indecisive though and risk adverse during interviews. The process involved too many steps, although I was told this was not the norm.

After cv screening and telephone interview, I attended a group assessment and 1-2-1 interview. I was then invited to a further interview. I then had two further interviews subsequently.

This was just excessive for a role at this level which raised anxiety levels somewhat.

My recommendation would be to focus on initial interview questions more, to draw out the right behaviours and empower people to make decisions sooner. It's just fairer on delegates and empowers managers to take the right kind of punt on people and reduce any anxiety of candidates (we are all human).

If you have concerns, just ask in interview and don't be afraid to explore early on, rather than pass it down the chain. Also, don't feel uncomfortable if someone says they don't get on with a current boss. It's a key driver for lots of people to move on. Maybe (which was offered) just ask a few questions e.g. have you ever had a boss you don't get along with? (I never have by the way and have always excelled in every role, including my current one).

On conclusion, I would still encourage anyone to apply, as whilst I'm gutted not to have been offered, the people are fantastic and worth the punt if you are looking to develop your career.

I wish the team all the best and please take any feedback as constructive. Thanks for the experience.

Customer Experience Advocate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

Interview

Applied for the role online and was first offered a telephone interview with two people which went really well. A week or so later I was invited to an assessment day which was 9:30 - 3:00pm. When I arrived there was myself and two other external candidates and five internal candidates. We were taken to a large meeting room where there were lots of other people from around the business. They started off going through the plan for the day and then everyone introduced themselves, including the observers which I thought was a nice touch. From the beginning they made sure it was a relaxed atmosphere and that everyone felt comfortable.

The first task was a group task where we had 3 scenarios and had to prioritise which one was worked on first. This was a discussion between the candidates whilst being observed and then had to present back our thoughts.

The second task was an interview with 2 members of staff which felt quite informal but covered a lot of questions. It also gave me a great opportunity to ask lots of questions.

Lunch was provided by the company and everyone ate together. After lunch we had a practical assessment where we had to respond to tweets, Facebook messages and draft a response to a letter of complaint. Overall this took about 1-2 hours.

Lastly we got a tour of the building which was great and then headed home. Feedback received from the assessment day was so detailed and thorough which I thought was great.

The next stage of the recruitment process was a 1-2-1 interview with a member of the OLT - this lasted about 1 hour.

Overall a great experience.

Interview Questions

• Out of the company values, which one would you say you're least like.   Answer Question

Sales Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England) in April 2017.

Interview

Application / telephone interview / personality and numerical reasoning test... followed by assessment centre (which was really a 3 stage interview - case study interview role play) .

Seemed disorganised on the day but lots of young professionals keen to help - casual dress is norm.

Interview Questions

• What's your motivation for applying for role   Answer Question
    • Case study - based on colleague bored with role no development and late due to ill grandparent   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (London, England) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied via their website, contacted that I was of interest and would have a call for the 1st interview with HR on essential competencies; I passed that so went through to 2nd round an in-person interview with hiring manager and head of insight which was in their offices in London.

Interview Questions

• Question about my CV, what my opening statement meant   Answer Question
    • What technology shifts do I see was potential challenges to Autotrader in the future   Answer Question
    • Who do I see as their competitors?   Answer Question
    • An example of when I have messed up and how I resolved the issue.   Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England) in September 2016.

Interview

The telephone interview is pretty straight forward in gauging your skill-set and why you actually want the role in the first place. If you’re successful, you are then invited to an Assessment Day.
    This part of the interview process takes 5 ½ hours in total. You face a panel of 4 people from and are given some exercises to complete: face-to-face interview, a timed paper/IT test and then the group exercise. The interview part of the process is the most straight forward, however, the paper/IT exercises were fraught with spelling mistakes and repeated information – some of which was sent out to each candidate prior to the Assessment Day as part of the information pack. Considering that one of the key aspects of the role is accuracy – this isn’t a good start! The final part of the Assessment is the group exercise – which was tantamount to being thrown into a bear pit along with the other candidates vying to be the best heard! Everyone wants the job – sure, but the looks of desperation around the table along with candidate’s anxiety and the need to blurt out anything, as long as it looks as though they’re making a valid contribution – makes it uncomfortable viewing let alone being a part of. By this stage I’d lost all interest in the role. Not a great way to get the best candidates – unless you want someone who can say all the right things, but not necessarily be able to put them into action.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of an instance where you've made a mistake? What is was and how did you rectify the situation?   1 Answer

Auto Trader UK Response

25 Oct 2016 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the recent interview that you had here. We are sorry to hear that you felt the experience was a negative one. We do try our best to give candidates tasks and... More

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.