Auto Trader UK Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Auto Trader UK Interview Questions

Interviews at Auto Trader UK

3.4

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK in October 2020.

Interview

Very well conducted interview process.
    First stage with HR to know about your motivation, expectation, etc.
    Second stage is a live pair programming interview followed by a feedback with software engineers and HR.
    After that, HR will tell you in private, without the software engineers, wether you are going to proceed to the next step or not, which is done on the same day, after a break for lunch time.
    On the next stage, they will evaluate how you fit with company values and will also ask some technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Pair programming exercise with TDD.   Answer Question
    • Give examples when you took an action that matches with our company values.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK.

Interview

Easy and straight forward application process. Applied online, submitting CV and basic details. Heard back within a few weeks with an invite to an online interview 1 to 1 with someone at Autotrader

Finance Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK in December 2020.

Interview

Mostly questions about motivations for applying, followed by an in depth question on the industry. The interview was a 1 to 1 virtual interview, very nice interviewer and left a positive experience.

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England) in September 2020.

Interview

Online form, 1hr pre-screening call, and a 1 hour technical video interview. Refreshing experience, it was fun being interviewed and they asked some really interesting questions. Most importantly, they told me exactly why I didn't get the role and left me with actionable feedback - as they promised at the start of the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you think Autotrader will be impacted in the next 12 months?   Answer Question
    • How do you think the future of car buying online will impact Autotrader?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through your portfolio   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England) in September 2020.

Interview

Describe the interview process

The first stage interview is much more friendly and with a professional in your sector. I felt the conversation was fluid and natural; however, we with it being remote, it did feel a tad impersonal. I prepared and researched beforehand, though, on the competency questions, I felt a bit 'tested', almost caught off-guard, which then made me feel pressured.

The second stage was more challenging, as it was longer as well. It was a challenge to dedicate that much of time to the interview. However, Auto Trader where accomodating and understood the situation.

I felt the second stage wasn't as smooth as the first, with different people coming into the call and only seeing on the recurring face it didn't help to make a real connection. Doing things remotely also made it feel not as friendly, however, that's not a criticism on the interviewees.

The second stage consisted of a whiteboard challenge, which from my experience didn't feel like a whiteboard challenge. The problem was written out for me already, and that caused issues for me. My fault I didn't disclose I was dyslexic, and as much it's not a huge problem, I felt an immense pressure to read and do this challenge quickly.

Due to it being remote, I couldn' draw well (which I understand isn't the issue), but you couldn't make out what I was sketching, so I felt the Type tool was of more use while talking about what I was thinking. I felt the interviews didn't collaborate into the discussions, so it felt more individual than a collaborative exercise.

Interview Questions

• Do you think technology would have an effect on the automotive industry today?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England) in September 2020.

Interview

Process took 4 weeks, all virtual, involving 5 different stages, which were: phone screening, technical interview, technical challenge, values interview, and a one on one interview with an OLT member.

Before each stage Auto Trader would provide me with documents which explained the next stage of the process, and what to expect.

I received plenty of feedback after each stage from Auto Trader, which was very valuable in helping me understand my own strengths and where I needed to improve.

Interview Questions

• Explain to me a time when you've worked on multiple projects at a time, and how you handled it?   Answer Question

Graduate Account Builder Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England) in July 2020.

Interview

The process comprised of 5 stages:
    1) Online written application
    2) Online tests (verbal, mathematical and diagrammatic reasoning)
    3) Telephone interview - around 30 minutes, exploring why I wanted to work for Autotrader, what I knew about the company, and why I had applied for this role
    4) Assessment Day - this was all done online because of COVID, but we were given 2 weeks to prepare, and had a 10 minute meeting the week before to check we understood how to use Microsoft Teams. The day itself consisted of 4 assessed tasks: a 15 minute presentation, a roleplay, a 1 hour interview, and a group task
    5) Interview with a member of the OLT which lasted around an hour. This explored my motivations for applying, and how my own personal values fit in with Autotrader's

The recruitment team were very helpful at every stage, always keeping us up to date with where they were up to with reviewing applications, or when the next stage would be. I think the process was meant to be completed in a much shorter time period, but because of COVID there was a 2 month gap between the telephone interview and assessment day. But we were kept well informed throughout this period with regular emails which was very helpful.

Throughout the process it was clear that Autotrader really cared about us as individuals, and that they would put a lot of time and effort into our careers and training if we were to get the job. We were always given the opportunity to ask questions, whether this be to the recruitment team prior to interviews, or to employees who worked in the job roles we would be doing were we to get the job - for example, there was an opportunity to talk to current graduates, as well as ask our interviewers questions at the end of each interview. All the interviewers were very friendly and made a clear effort to help us feel comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Autotrader?
      Why do you want this specific role?
      Which of our values resonates with you the most?
      Give an example of a time you have demonstrated each of Autotrader's values.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK in July 2020.

Interview

I applied online in February 2020. The process consisted of:
    - Written application submission
    - Online tests
    - Phone interview with a member of the team
    - Online assessment centre (interview, presentation, group task)
    - Final interview with a member of the leadership team

The process was delayed and altered to be online throughout as a result of COVID-19, but the resourcing team made sure to keep us up to date during the process. It was decided that the assessment centre was to be delivered online and this worked really well, especially considering this was one of the first done this way.

I would thoroughly recommend applying to Auto Trader and had a great experience during the application process. Everyone I engaged with was professional yet friendly and communication was excellent throughout the process, despite the unprecedented situation.

Interview Questions

• Motivation questions on joining, competency based questions around their values   Answer Question

Graduate SEO & Content Executive Interview

Application

Interview

I was invited to a virtual assessment centre, where I had to make a presentation, complete a content creation task, complete a group exercise and answer interview and values-based questions.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of when you were community-minded.   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England) in July 2020.

Interview

45 minute pairing exercise, observed by another developer that required simple file reading, and aggregation to calculate a value. The language I picked was Scala, but the project files to complete were written in a more Java style (try/catch/finally) over Scala's Try. As there were technical problems I couldn't actually 'take the wheel' and instead described how I thought we should progress. This was quite a frustrating experience as we became bogged down in a simple file loading task. It also became clear as the exercise went on that we were thinking about the code from different paradigms (them: Imperative, me: Functional) and I got the impression the person that I was pairing with was new to Scala, as at one point they thought to reminded me that the last statement in a code block was the return value, and would occasionally slip in to Python snake case naming convention.

After the 45 minutes were up we were only just approaching a solution, which I ended up describing. Given a chance to 'take the wheel' we could have completed the task in about 20-25 minutes. Overall I thought this was a really poor way of assessing my ability as a developer - I didn't write a line of code. Whilst pairing and communication skills are important, there was no real assessment of my technical ability.

Once the 45 minutes are up, you either fail, or pass to carry on the rest of the day. Perhaps given the technical issues I was allowed to pass. What followed was a few hours of technical and values questions with two different developers. There were some slightly tricky questions, but mostly they were relatively straight forward.

At the end of the day I got the impression that this wouldn't be the place to go if you wanted to write idiomatic Scala, and further your knowledge in this area. They also advocate pairing (seemingly almost always pairing) which could be a deal breaker for some.

Also I was told I would hear back the following week, but have no contact from them almost a month later.

Interview Questions

Auto Trader UK Response

12 Aug 2020 – Resourcer

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to interview with us. I am sorry that you feel your assessment experience wasn't up to the standard that we aspire to. I will try to address the points you have raised but if you like to discuss anything further email me at recruitment@autotrader.co.uk. I have identified that you took part in a virtual assessment, carried out over Microsoft Teams. We've worked hard to ensure candidates get a great experience in this environment by sending a detailed assessment guide, video interview tips and by carrying out a pre-assessment check in call to ensure tech is working; it is therefore frustrating that tech issues arose. We are aware that we did suffer from some technical issues in one assessment that resulted in the candidate not being able to type into the shared screen containing the IDE. We have reviewed the situation and if it were to happen again, we would offer the candidate the opportunity to reschedule. At Auto Trader we have a culture of collaborative development. The aim of the pairing exercise is to observe how candidates solve problems and how effective they are at working with others; the emphasis is on behaviours over completeness. This means there should be a collaborative atmosphere with space for healthy debate about the relative merits of different technical approaches. The Data Engineering team at Auto Trader come from diverse backgrounds and benefit from the different experiences that come with that. We believe this diversity makes us better overall, but doubtless idioms from other languages do creep in occasionally. In regard to your comments on Scala, Data Engineering is building Auto Trader's self-serve data platform. We only use Scala to write Apache Spark applications. We will sometimes embrace non-idiomatic Scala when alternative syntax would be more easily understood by the wider developer community at Auto Trader that is less familiar with Scala I am sorry that you have not had feedback, having reviewed emails I cannot see when this has been missed. We always aim to give clear feedback that is based on evidence and aids development so please do reach out to us directly so we can share this with you. I have shared your advice and feedback with the team and we have explored it together in detail so thanks again for taking the time to provide us with feedback.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.